buzzcut

2017 NFL Season: Then there were 12

Wait - so the Bills last playoff game was the Music City Miracle?  Seriously?  I had no idea that they hadn't been in the playoffs since then.

On one hand, I'm glad that those ridiculous royal-piped navy uniforms never saw the big stage, but on the other hand, godsdam that sucks for their fans.  It seems like every year there's one or two surprise teams that make the playoffs by accident with a 8-8 or 9-7 record, only to never be heard from again.  The Bills couldn't even be one of those teams?  I guess starting every season basically with an 0-2 record like the other AFCE teams doesn't help, but still - wow.

really hope they beat Jacksonville - those helmets don't deserve to be on national TV - but we already know the SB is going to be NE vs PHL (unless PHL withdraws), so I at least hope they make it a close game in round 2 - maybe even lose in OT.

Dunno if it has been mentioned, but the lions have fired their head coach. Maybe I’m too much of a fan to understand why so could someone try and explain this to me? 

7 minutes ago, Balu the Bare said:

Dunno if it has been mentioned, but the lions have fired their head coach. Maybe I’m too much of a fan to understand why so could someone try and explain this to me? 

They're the Lions that should be the only explanation. 

12 minutes ago, Balu the Bare said:

Miss Martha Firestone Ford doesn't play around unlike her late husband.

Looks like Jim Schwartz is going to be a HC again next year - maybe the Lions want to bring him back?  I have a feeling he'll take the Giants job though.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

We already know the SB is going to be NE vs PHL (unless PHL withdraws).

From what I've seen the past few weeks, they're in the process of doing just that.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wait - so the Bills last playoff game was the Music City Miracle?  Seriously?  I had no idea that they hadn't been in the playoffs since then.

On one hand, I'm glad that those ridiculous royal-piped navy uniforms never saw the big stage, but on the other hand, godsdam that sucks for their fans.  It seems like every year there's one or two surprise teams that make the playoffs by accident with a 8-8 or 9-7 record, only to never be heard from again.  The Bills couldn't even be one of those teams?  I guess starting every season basically with an 0-2 record like the other AFCE teams doesn't help, but still - wow.

really hope they beat Jacksonville - those helmets don't deserve to be on national TV - but we already know the SB is going to be NE vs PHL (unless PHL withdraws), so I at least hope they make it a close game in round 2 - maybe even lose in OT.

The last time the Bills were in the playoffs, I was 11 years old (about to turn 12) and was in the 6th grade. I'll be 30 in less than two weeks. It's crazy to me when I think about it like that. 

13 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Wow, what a different playoff grouping this is!

Pats are gonna totally :censored: the Falcons in the *** in the Super Bowl, and anyone who doubts this is stupid because the NFL is garbage. 

Falcons make it in as a 6th seed? I guess I'll take it.

So it looks like Chucky is headed back to the Raiders. 

Im a bit bummed by that. Jack Del Rio is a good coach still and I think deserved another year at least. I also really wanted the Bucs to can worthless Koetter and bring in Gruden. 

Actually? I'll take JDR with the Bucs. That'd be a decent consolation prize. 

27 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

So it looks like Chucky is headed back to the Raiders. 

Im a bit bummed by that. Jack Del Rio is a good coach still and I think deserved another year at least. I also really wanted the Bucs to can worthless Koetter and bring in Gruden. 

Actually? I'll take JDR with the Bucs. That'd be a decent consolation prize. 

Del Rio has the most games coach w/o a division title (191) and his career record is under .500. He's proven that he's uninspiring where ever he goes.

He also has a problem with selection of his staff as his coordinator typically don't last more than two seasons.

4 hours ago, Balu the Bare said:

The quick answer is that they feel they should've been better than 9-7. Caldwell did a great job at making them competitive, but they weren't going to win a Superbowl the way they've been playing under Caldwell (not entirely his fault, but someone has to get the blame). He's also left over from the last regime in Detroit, not picked by current GM Bob Quinn. Quinn's finally going to get to pick "his guy" to run the team, and it may unsurprisingly be someone from New England. As a Lions' fan, I liked Caldwell, but I'm not surprised or upset he's gone. That said, I wouldn't have been terribly upset if he stayed for another year, either.

The rumored favorite to be the new head coach is Matt Patricia (Pats DC), but they're also requesting to interview Pat Shurmur (Vikings OC), Mike Vrabel (Texans DC) , Steve Wilkis (Panthers DC) and Teryl Austin (Lions current DC). I haven't done much research, not that mine matters, but I'm only really opposed to Austin becoming the head coach of the team. Shurmur is a surprising addition...one which is really intriguing to me.

Of course, none of this matters if the team can't run the ball or stop another offense, but that's another rant all together.

2 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

The last time the Bills were in the playoffs, I was 11 years old (about to turn 12) and was in the 6th grade. I'll be 30 in less than two weeks. It's crazy to me when I think about it like that. 

I just turned 36 in November...I was in my senior year of high school that season.

It's both funny and adorable that Bills fans are donating to Andy Dalton's foundation. What a weird world.  And that was an amazing TD too.

It's so great the best moment of Bills football in the 21st century, so far, happened in a Ravens/Bengals game.

It's fun that people are giving credit to Andy Dalton, but it's weird that everyone is ignoring Tyler Boyd. He had to do a lot on that play, too.

Bills players' reaction:

I promise I'll stop now. Andy Dalton said $22K from Bills fans, as of a couple hours ago.

Bills fans at the airport at 1 AM:

Never before has a team and a city celebrated a 9-7 season quite like this. But you know what, after 18 freakin' years, this team deserves this. The Bills have spoiled plenty of opportunities to end the drought over the years. Losing to Pittsburgh's backups and third stringers in 2004 with a playoff berth on the line, starting off 5-1 and collapsing in 2008, starting off 5-2 and collapsing again in 2011, being eliminated from contention by a 1-win Raiders team in 2014, squandering so many close games in the Rex era, the list goes on and on...  It's mathematically impossible to not sneak into the NFL playoffs at least one time in 18 years, and yet the Bills found a way to do it. I mean even the Browns have made it once since '99! 

After sleeping on it last night, it still hasn't quite hit me yet that the drought is officially over. I keeping thinking back to all the heart-breaking losses and the constant disappointment. Year after year, having to watch all those crappy QBs and incompetent head coaches (I'm looking at you Dick Jauron!). I don't even care the this team basically back pedaled into the tournament, or that Tyrod is definitely gone in the offseason, or that this team still has a lot of holes to plug on the roster. For the first time since I was still in elementary school, I get to watch a Bills playoff game in January. I didn't think I'd have to wait this long to experience this again, but I'll take it. 

4 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

After sleeping on it last night, it still hasn't quite hit me yet that the drought is officially over. I keeping thinking back to all the heart-breaking losses and the constant disappointment. Year after year, having to watch all those crappy QBs and incompetent head coaches (I'm looking at you Dick Jauron!). I don't even care the this team basically back pedaled into the tournament, or that Tyrod is definitely gone in the offseason, or that this team still has a lot of holes to plug on the roster.

Like @BringBackTheVet said, you'd figure they could at least be one of those one-year wonders once in almost 20 years, but they somehow always managed to mess it up. Doesn't matter how it happened. It's still weird for me, also, to think that they're in the playoffs. I half expect to hear from the NFL tomorrow, "Upon further review..."

So what happens now? The playoff teams just like keep playing games or something? I'm a little rusty.