2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

No Boston fan gets to complain about sports losing until at least 2030. If not later. It bears repeating that since 2008, all of their major sports franchises have won at least one championship. Bill Simmons used to talk about a 5-year rule of no complaining, but if all four of your teams win, that gets quadrupled.

There is no other sports fanbase that wants credit for losing as well as winning like Boston. It's been true ever since the Red Sox World Series win in 2004, and it remains so weird. I like Bill Simmons and I like the Ringer, but their coverage of the Patriots remains so tone-deaf as to what the rest of the sports world is actually thinking. Deadspin's headline of "Patriots return to Super Bowl. Barf" is exactly right.

Bolded1: That's why Pats fans secretly enjoy Deflategate (they're the only people who still bring it up!) because they got to win the Super Bowl and play the victim card

Bolded2: This was never more evident than when The Ringer had "Patriots Week" and they had a podcast where they counted down the best 25 moments in Patriots history. Who did they think asked for that? What possible benefit came out of that? They have no pulse on just how sick of the Patriots people really are. They think it's like cute hate. No, it's far more serious.

I'm a big proponent of the five year rule, but that's for one championship. Like Saints fans are now free to gripe, but if your team has a run like this we can't just add five years after the last one. That amount of time doesn't cover the spread of enjoyment they've had. IDK what's the correct number, but it's gotta have a multiplier for multiple titles. Think about this - the Patriots are about to have their second decade in a row where they've won 3 out of 4 Super Bowls. They've played in 8 since I was in 8th grade. They've been to 7 straight AFC Championship games. My team's only played in 2 ever. There will come a time in the future when the Patriots will have sucked for a few years, but I'd argue that this near two decades of dominance has put a lifetime moratorium on bitching for Patriots fans who will be old enough to remember this era. I don't think that's too high a price to pay. You got all your fun in a lump sum. A very big, long lump sum. I just want one so I can stop watching this dumb sport. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can definitely agree that there is a Patriots Fatigue going around from the rest of the League.  Especially evident here.  Success does breed contempt.  It was brought up at one point numerous times that any one of those who are sick of the Patriots and their unprecedented success in this modern age would gladly give a limb or 3 for the same success for their team, no matter who it comes against. 

I say this as you can always talk about decades in the NFL by the dominant teams.  Packers of the 60s, Steelers of the 70s, Niners of the 80s...the 90s is about when the parity talk started but I still associate it with the Cowboys for some reason.  Probably due to their America's Team shtick.  It's because this has gone on twice as long as normal that it's become problematic to the rest of the fanbases.  The Patriots of the '00s AND '10s? It's insane!  And likely won't repeat ever again.  For anyone.  Even removing the Patriots, it's been pointed out numerous times that the AFC has been represented by pretty much the same three teams for the past 17 years (Steelers 3 times, Colts and Broncos twice (both under Manning)) with minor appearances by the Ravens and Raiders.  But if you continue into who was at the AFC Championship games, those 4 teams (NE, PIT, IND, DEN) account for 25 of the past 34 participants.  While NE has the dominance of the Conference, it's still a quarter of the AFC that has taken it over.

Conversely, the NFC is a virtual mismatch of who decides to show up.  If anything, the Eagles have been the most "dominant" during the Patriots' run, appearing twice in the Super Bowl and a total of 6 times in the NFC Championship. The next closest is the Packers with one Super Bowl appearance and 4 NFC Title game appearances.  All in all, since 2001 there have been 13* of the 16 NFC teams which have had an opportunity to be in the Super Bowl, compared to only 10 of 16 AFC teams.  And of the 10 AFC teams that have been in the AFC Championship since 2001, only 6 have been in the Super Bowl, while in the NFC, 12 of the 13 teams made it on.

The lack of parity is the major issue but it becomes more about how the parity is being handled overall.  Players want to win.  What's the best way to win? Do you go to a team that has to deal with roughly 13 equal teams for a chance for immortality and not even get close, or do you go to at team which is one of roughly 4 that is vying for a championship annually.  If anything it shows that the NFC is a lot STRONGER than the AFC due to there constantly being different teams in the run.  But it also shows that in the AFC those 4 teams usually are doing something right....2017 Colts and Broncos notwithstanding. This year definitely showed that there can be young blood to mix up the group finally.  And before the Jaguars stunned almost everyone, it was practically decided that it would be Patriots-Steelers in the AFC Championship...again...for the 4th time during this run.  Ho hum how boring.  Absolutely agree.  Would Jaguars-Titans have been a more thrilling and compelling storyline, possibly ushering in the new era of the AFC and putting an end to the current ruling class? Absolutely.  But until more teams start spending or making a case that they are next to step up and challenge the dominant teams of the AFC, it will continue to be the same 4 (2?) annually until people retire and it finally ends.

As a fan of the sport overall, I actually wanted the Jags to do well.  I loved that they knocked off Pittsburgh and completely outplayed them. It made for a great team to want to watch win.  But I can't root against my team. Plus the thought of that helmet being immortalized in the annals of Super Bowl lore, blech.  I definitely can see them doing well and maybe even a great new Titans Jaguars rivalry could come out of this that creates interest and generates people wanting to watch the league.  But yes, as most will point out, as long as Brady and Belichick are in Foxboro, it's an uphill battle. 

I will say personally as a fan of the Patriots that this run has been incredible.  It cannot be described.  And that's not meant as a jab because I, too, can't stand loud obnoxious a$$hat fans who feel they have to be loud and annoying to prove their fandom.  They're the people who ruin the experience for everyone else.  I can't stand them.  Hooping and Hollering as an excuse to be loud and drunk doesn't come off well for anyone.  It's an embarrassment.  And I agree with what a few people have said here too.  When this dynasty is over, I don't think I will ever complain about a crappy Patriots team for the rest of my life knowing that I got to see ALL of this happen. Do I want to see other teams win? not at the expense of my team Every fan deserves to be rewarded for their loyalty to a franchise.  It makes the personal investment of time, effort, energy, money, etc worth it.  It's fun when they win, it's painful when they lose. They rip your heart out or fill you with insane elation.  I know this run will end soon.  I almost feel as if this IS the last one for the Patriots as a franchise. Nothing will ever click like this again. It's remarkable that my Patsies are up there with the dominant teams like the mid-century Canadiens or the early Yankees or that Celtics team that just kept...winning...every...freaken...year. I hope that all fans can feel this joy that supporting a team can bring. And once it's done for the Pats, I can look at the terribly-made banners they sold and the hundreds of dollars in jerseys and hats and championship hats and more hats and oh my god why are there so many hats and remember all the fun that came along with it.

In the end, I hope for a hell of a Super Bowl.  I do hope there aren't stupid ticky-tack, questionable calls, I hope both teams play their hearts out, bring their absolute best, and in the end the best team on the field is left with the Lombardi. But as a fan, I still and will always want it to be the Patriots.

*(apologies to Lions, Redskins, and Cowboys fans....maybe not Cowboys fans)

10 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

I honestly don't see how "fatigue" can set in for a team that's never won a single Super Bowl. Maybe that's just me. I mean, I never developed Niners Fatigue during their run of being good (in this millennium, I should clarify).

Well, they were in the NFC Championship Game four years in a row, finally got to a Super Bowl, and lost it. :censored: or get off the pot, right?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Well, they were in the NFC Championship Game four years in a row, finally got to a Super Bowl, and lost it. :censored: or get off the pot, right?

Back then, all you guys were saying we were dummies for hating Reid and McNabb. Turns out everyone that thought that are the real dummies, because the former is a lousy game day coach that has never learned from his mistakes and will never get over the hump, and the other one was an insecure child that threw up in the big game. 

Blame Andy Reid for any Eagles fatigue. And for anything else you’re upset about, whether he was involved or not. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just heard a stat: Nick Foles has the highest QB rating of any QB that has ever played 3 or more playoff games. Ever. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Let’s check in with EDP and see how he feels about this...

This man gets winded making a YouTube video. I hope he lives to see the Super Bowl in a few weeks.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

5 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

In the end, I hope for a hell of a Super Bowl.  I do hope there aren't stupid ticky-tack, questionable calls, I hope both teams play their hearts out, bring their absolute best, and in the end the best team on the field is left with the Lombardi. But as a fan, I still and will always want it to be the Patriots.

Agreed and I feel like this sentiment is felt by most Patriots fans on the board.

Which leads me to ask, from merely a point of curiosity and I'm not in any way calling you a liar or making anything up, where is everyone encountering these Patriots fans that are insufferable?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

2 hours ago, Brass said:

This man gets winded making a YouTube video. I hope he lives to see the Super Bowl in a few weeks.

I'd buy a ticket to watch the game with him in his apartment.  He's missing out on a golden money-making opportunity.

4 hours ago, Brass said:

Am I the only one that thinks EDP has lost some weight?

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'd buy a ticket to watch the game with him in his apartment.  He's missing out on a golden money-making opportunity.

He's got 250,000 subscribers; I bet he could easily start a Kickstarter to send himself to the Super Bowl, if nothing else.

The Ringer is great at having the worst possible takes on the Patriots: https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playoffs/2018/1/22/16920298/super-bowl-new-england-patriots-tom-brady-bill-belichick-hate

No. No one will miss the Pats when it's over. Get bent.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

LOL what were we just saying? Yeah not a chance I will miss the Patriots. I caught the tail end of it, but I was pretty pumped when the 49ers dynasty finally ran out of steam and I enjoyed when the Cowboys triplets fell apart. I do not miss those teams at all. I will bask in the glory of the season the Steelers finally suck. 

And here's the worst part about the Patriots - those other dynasties had the good decency to be interesting sometimes. The Patriots play football like it's a business transaction. It doesn't even matter who plays for them. They just plug some rando plug in and everything's fine. The rest of us obsess over draft picks, the Patriots take some gomer from Oswego State and he gains a thousand yards and catches 100 balls. Sometimes their games are exciting, but who cares when they never lose the exciting game and do it in such a soulless, predictable fashion?

They'll be replaced by a new villain anyways. That's how sports works. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I was going to make that point earlier today. The Cowboys dominated for most of the early 90s, but Emmitt Smith was also really really fun. Jimmy Johnson seemed to enjoy coaching. Troy Aikman had a sweet mullet. Michael Irvin did all that cocaine.

The Pats give former Bills Super Bowl rings and air commercials about how happy Tom Brady is to ditch his kids for football. No one will miss them over and outside of their losses to the Giants, no one will remember their games.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Saying the Patriots are boring is such an absurd statement that it borders on being an intentional lie. I'm ready for the dynasty to end, and will be rooting for the Eagles like most people, but come on now. 

Patriots will be remembered like MJ's Bulls in The 90's. Like them or hate them, no one can deny they witnessed something that will quite likely never happen in the sport again. 

And I'm sorry, but I have to call Bull :censored: on no one "remembering their games". Objectively, all their Super Bowl have been been labeled as immediate classics & some of the greatest ever played. No one is going to forget David Tyree's catch, Butler's interception, or the "28-3" comeback. That's not "homerism" talking either, that's basically "every NFL analyst ever" talking. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

5 minutes ago, Kaz said:

So is it still sacrilegious to mention  in the NBA thread to be looking forward to not seeing LeBron in the finals anymore?  Y’know, consistancy ;)

LeBron is more fun to watch than Tom Brady. And he had the decency to win with two different teams and two different coaches.

And I take it back, the Malcolm Butler and 28-3 comeback were Moments. Plus the kick at the end of the Houston Super Bowl. But whatever. It's two decades of mostly nameless guys except Brady, Gronk, and a random assortment of former lacrosse players at wide receiver.

But the bigger point is that people miss the Chicago Bulls very much, and would have been happy to see the team get back together in 1999; the NBA in fact was at a real crisis when the Bulls were broken up. The NFL will be significantly better when Brady and Belichick are gone. No one except NESN goobers will be sad when they're gone.

16 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

LeBron is more fun to watch than Tom Brady. And he had the decency to win with two different teams and two different coaches.

And I take it back, the Malcolm Butler and 28-3 comeback were Moments. Plus the kick at the end of the Houston Super Bowl. But whatever. It's two decades of mostly nameless guys except Brady, Gronk, and a random assortment of former lacrosse players at wide receiver.

But the bigger point is that people miss the Chicago Bulls very much, and would have been happy to see the team get back together in 1999; the NBA in fact was at a real crisis when the Bulls were broken up. The NFL will be significantly better when Brady and Belichick are gone. No one except NESN goobers will be sad when they're gone.

Let's not pretend people didn't hate the Bulls. I remember lots of people rooting for the Utah Jazz of all teams just because they wanted somebody to beat the Bulls. Any team that wins that much is going to be hated. It's only with time that people step back and appreciate the dynasties that pissed them off for years.

We also didn't have Twitter or message boards back then, so every Bulls win wasn't met with "the Bulls again? Guess I'm not watching the Finals" or "Why have you forsaken us, oh Lord!?"

Archived