2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

I can definitely say that the loss puts a downer on the overall #BannerNight that was being promoted, in the end that's what it was.  I do find it interesting on THIS side of the fight that the sentiment has gone from the Patriots being perennial losers with slight shimmers of greatness here and there (85, 96) but there was that expectation that they would never rise above the Niners or the Cowboys or the Steelers.  I remember as a kid people all about Montana as the superstar to talk about and ignore the local team because they just...sucked.

There are always cocky entitled douchewads that will be the loudest and most annoying of winning franchises.  They, as in any fandom, are always the brashest, and feel they represent the entirety of a fandom.  It's annoying to deal with, and even more annoying to have to defend the rest of the fandom because of a select few.  Doesn't this happen with soccer ultras and such too?

The dejected faces? yes a somewhat overreaction to how the game was going. Unfortunately the aura of Gillette has become......elitist i suppose.  I went to a game years ago and heard stories about people in the crowd telling others to sit down and that they were being too loud and such.  It's ridiculous.  Just like with Fenway, it's about showing that you're there rather than enjoying being there for a game.

Also keep in mind the broadcast isn't going to show the diehards screaming at the team and trying to keep faith and hope for the 1-point rally.  The ones screaming and trying to incite the section to get loud and yell and show support.  That's not good television.  It's better to show the few people with pouty faces because the team was down with 7 minutes left.  It's stupid but a small snippet of the crowd is supposed to represent how the entire crowd there is.  Can almost guarantee that most fans were thinking along the lines of "yeah, this sucks. oh well.  Onto next week."  That's my feeling about it.  Oh well, we lost.  Next game.

Yes there are loud, obnoxious Boston fans.  We in Boston have to deal with them too.  We just ignore them.  Just like you ignore the loud, obnoxious (insert market with successful team at some point) fans are too.  The obvious fill-in is New York and yes that's a default but remember too that New York has always seemed to have consistent success compared to this run in Boston of the past 16 years. It's still insane to consider.

As of now? keep going with the "yay the badguys lost" mentality.  We did it too. Enjoy it.  At some point the black mark may pass to your team and it'd be nice if it does as everyone should feel this type of successful sportsteams.  Been a hell of a run and I don't want it to end anytime soon.

Enjoy Opening Weekend everyone!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

On a related note, after today's result the quarterback to have won the most NFL games in Cleveland since 1999 is... Ben Roethlisberger.

The damn Browns man.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Before it's too late, Cujo's NFL Prognostication:

AFC

EAST

Patriots*

Dolphins

Jets

Bills

NORTH

Steelers*

Ravens*

Bengals

Browns

SOUTH

Texans*

Colts

Titans

Jaguars

WEST

Broncos*

Chiefs*

Raiders

Chargers

NFC

EAST

Cowboys*

Giants*

Eagles

Washington

NORTH

Packers*

Lions

Vikings

Bears

SOUTH

Panthers*

Falcons*

Buccaneers

Saints

WEST

Seahawks*

Rams

Cardinals

49ers

AFC PLAYOFFS

Broncos > Chiefs

Ravens > Texans

Steelers > Ravens

Broncos > Patriots

Steelers > Broncos

NFC PLAYOFFS

Panthers > Falcons

Giants > Cowboys

Packers > Panthers

Giants > Seahawks

Packers > Giants

SUPER BOWL 52

Packers > Steelers

6uXNWAo.png

Ravens made sure Flacco and his back didn't have to do too much. Good thing too, he was 9/17 passing. Yikes. 

Although I guess anything would look good next to 16/31 for 0 TDs, 4 INTs, and a fumble lost. 

I tell you what, this is like good old Ravens football. Ground and pound offense, great defense. I think the Ravens defense is gonna be special this year. 

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Not a good idea to play in an area where it can get to 90+ degrees and not have an overhang.

This also applies very much to the LA colosseum. As much I love the colosseum for it's history it's hell to get to and hell to be there i seriously can't wait for the new stadium in Inglewood. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

The Los Angeles Rams are the highest scoring team in the NFL.

(Things I never expected to say this season.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

4 hours ago, waltere said:

On a related note, after today's result the quarterback to have won the most NFL games in Cleveland since 1999 is... Ben Roethlisberger.

The damn Browns man.

is there a site that has stats like that?  I'm curious what opposing qb has the most wins in Philadelphia over a period of time

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The NFL is too damn inconsistent with what is or is not pass interference. 

The Giants' CB Jenkins got absolutely screwed on a DPI and I have no idea why. He was in perfect coverage. 

I mean, I'll take it, but that bad call led directly to a Cowboys' touchdown. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I don't know what to make of the Seahawks' game in Green Bay today... Some of the calls were very picky calls (Looking at you, Block in the Back AND Phantom Punch that threw Lane out of the game which prevented a defensive score).

But, the offense needs work. Thankfully, next week is the home opener and the offense can get fat and happy on the Forty Whiners.

2 hours ago, rams80 said:

The Los Angeles Rams are the highest scoring team in the NFL.

(Things I never expected to say this season.)

They also currently have sole possession of first place in the NFC West (which I never expected at any point).

21 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

The NFL is too damn inconsistent with what is or is not pass interference. 

The Giants' CB Jenkins got absolutely screwed on a DPI and I have no idea why. He was in perfect coverage. 

I mean, I'll take it, but that bad call led directly to a Cowboys' touchdown. 

Maybe there should be automatic reviews of certain calls.  Maybe have a review for personal fouls for blows to the head and unnecessary roughness, and pass interferences over 15 yards.  Too often the entire game is changed because someone is called for a hard hit that was actually legal, or grazing the QBs helmet with a finger tip but maybe it looked like a smack from one angle, or a PI which often times could go either way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived