buzzcut

2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

Recommended Posts

Belichick's done it with radically different rosters for nearly 20 years. It's pretty special. I think it all changes in a post-Brady world, but so what? He's terrorized the AFC (and certainly the AFC East) since the Bush administration. It's a completely different sport, but it's interesting that a guy like Bobby Cox isn't seen in the same light. Those Braves teams only won the one title, but they did win their division 14 straight times. 

 

You know what seems like a bad idea? Giving Philadelphia free beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Belichick's done it with radically different rosters for nearly 20 years. It's pretty special. I think it all changes in a post-Brady world, but so what? He's terrorized the AFC (and certainly the AFC East) since the Bush administration. It's a completely different sport, but it's interesting that a guy like Bobby Cox isn't seen in the same light. Those Braves teams only won the one title, but they did win their division 14 straight times. 

 

You know what seems like a bad idea? Giving Philadelphia free beer.

 

I think it actually works against Bobby Cox, much like Andy Reid's successes work against him.  When you look at the ridiculous talent he had every year (a staff with multiple cy-young caliber pitchers, ace closers, great young hitters), for him to only win one world championship with that team says a lot.  Doesn't mean he's bad, but it's reasonable to think that other managers would have gotten more out of them.

 

Same with Reid.  He won a ton of games, made it to one SB and 5 NFC championship games, but considering the teams he had, he came up small when it mattered the most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Belichick's ability to get marginal, run-of-the-mill rosters to Super Bowls makes him the best coach in my eyes. When were the Patriots ever the most talented team? I don't think ever. Maybe 2007. The cheating :censored: is overblown and sour grapes.

 

I was too young to see Gibbs, but weren't his teams loaded with a bunch of hall-of-famers on both sides of the ball? I know they always had a stout o-line and good defense. That makes the "3 QBs!" thing matter a little less to me. 

Belichick has had stacked teams too. The early 2000s Patriots had some of the most stacked rosters ever and even the 2014 Patriots were loaded. 

 

Gibbs won rings despite never really having stability at the most important position in football. And two of the three QBs he won with were nothing special. He also won with three different starting running backs, BTW. Additionally, Gibbs changed the game of football by inventing modern tight end sets and the Trips formation. Most impressively, Gibbs came back in his 60s and dragged the Snyder Redskins to multiple playoff appearances. Finally, his legacy isn't tainted by a Spygate or a Deflategate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just chiming in here with my thoughts on the game.

  • Easily the most entertaining Super Bowl I've ever seen, although I did sleep through the Panthers/Patriots SB which was supposedly one of the more entertaining title games in recent memory from what I've heard.  I have absolutely nothing to complain about game-wise.
  • Belichick calling that timeout on the Eagles 3rd down may have cost him the game, or at least felt a bit reckless. 
  • Converting the 4th down to Ertz was 1a to the strip-sack of Brady being 1b.
  • Butler being benched was absurd.
  • It depressed me seeing Alshon Jeffery make highlight plays out the ass, while Stephon Gilmore was playing quality defense out there.  Neither player wanted the Bears money.
  • The commercials were so self-serving and counterfeit that I was audibly disgusted.  The room would groan every time there'd be a sweet humane message followed by a T-Mobile or RAM logo.
  • Justin Timberlake's halftime show sucked.
  • Pink's national anthem was whatever.
  • Collinsworth had his head so far up the Patriots' ass all night long, and I have no earthly idea why he was being so deliberately stupid.  The Ertz touchdown was in no way controversial, yet he talked about it like it was the Zapruder film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collinsworth was awful. His shameless New England homerism all game was reminiscent of Tommy Heinsohn calling Celtics games. He actually did the impossible and made me wish I was listening to Joe Buck instead.

 

Meanwhile, someone needs to tell Al Michaels that Jay Ajayi's last name is not pronounced "AH JAH *long pause* EEE." That was getting on my nerves all game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when they signed Jeffery, and people that "know football" couldn't believe that he'd take a relatively low 1-year contract.  Eagles fans were thrilled, but then he started off slow and was the target of fans ire.  By the end of the year, he was a key player and received a high-dollar extension, and came up huge in the super bowl. 

 

Also Nelson Agholar (sp?), who was booed and hated as much as any philly athlete I've ever seen last year, because he couldn't catch anything and cost them game after game.  Well, one year later after moving to the slot (and having help on the outside from Jeffery), he's incredible and was a huge reason that they got as far as they did.  Also helped that Jeffery took his number from him so maybe that switch up helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agholar caught a million first downs yesterday, including picking up yards after the catch. He was clutch the entire game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So in an apology for all the horses that have been punched in the past few weeks, and the one that literally got stolen last night (yes, someone stole a police horse, which was later recovered), an Eagles fan LITERALLY ATE HORSE SH[modedit]!

 

 

(disclaimer - this is gross.)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DG_Now said:

By the way, just in case anyone gets stupid, Tom Brady is still the greatest QB of all time and the Belichick/Brady Patriots are the greatest NFL dynasty of all time. The Eagles had to basically play a perfect game in order to win today, and even then it still came down to the last play and the entire stadium was clenching its butt cheeks when the ball was in the air.

 

EDIT: changed "franchise" to "dynasty."

 

Joe Montana never lost a Super Bowl. Just sayin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it interesting that two people have said Collinsworth was all about New England.  Funny how perspectives work.  I felt he couldn't shut up about the Eagles.  And the fact he was basically foaming that the Eagles converted the trick play that failed earlier for the Pats.  I think I saw that replay about 15 different times from 15 different angles.  They even brought out some weird new graphic crap almost two quarters AFTER the play.  That was too freaken much.  It's like they've never seen a play like that before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kramerica Industries said:

Yes, but didn't the Montana Niners lose a million Conference Championship games? 

 

Several, yes.

 

Two conference losses (1983, ‘90), two divisional losses (1986, ‘87), and one Wild Card defeat (‘85) were their losses. The Young-led Niners lost three conference championships and three times in the divisional round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the hell was NBC doing with their Madden 2008 player models, also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Yes, but didn't the Montana Niners lose a million Conference Championship games? 

I’d argue that 4-4 is better than 4-0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

I find it interesting that two people have said Collinsworth was all about New England.  Funny how perspectives work.  I felt he couldn't shut up about the Eagles.  And the fact he was basically foaming that the Eagles converted the trick play that failed earlier for the Pats.  I think I saw that replay about 15 different times from 15 different angles.  They even brought out some weird new graphic crap almost two quarters AFTER the play.  That was too freaken much.  It's like they've never seen a play like that before.

It is funny how every announcer is out to get everybody's team. As somebody who wanted the Eagles to win, but was not going to feel like dying if the Pats won, I thought the announcers were just plain old incompetent. How that Ertz TD was even a question for them was absolutely baffling to me, and the insistence on saying "R-P-O" virtually any time Philly ran a play was maddening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

It is funny how every announcer is out to get everybody's team. As somebody who wanted the Eagles to win, but was not going to feel like dying if the Pats won, I thought the announcers were just plain old incompetent. How that Ertz TD was even a question for them was absolutely baffling to me, and the insistence on saying "R-P-O" virtually any time Philly ran a play was maddening. 

I was beginning to think Collinsworth was having asthma issues the way so many plays were breathtaking.  The Ertz TD was absolutely without question.  I get they need to fill the review time so it's not dead air but to even question that....I agree, baffling is really the only term for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

It is funny how every announcer is out to get everybody's team. As somebody who wanted the Eagles to win, but was not going to feel like dying if the Pats won, I thought the announcers were just plain old incompetent. How that Ertz TD was even a question for them was absolutely baffling to me, and the insistence on saying "R-P-O" virtually any time Philly ran a play was maddening. 

 

There's always some trendy term that comes up and gets beaten to death by people who act like they use it all the time.  This year, it was "11 personnel" or "12 personnel".  I don't doubt that those are terms that are used, but I've never heard fans or announcers use them until this year.  Now, common ham-and-eggers at the watercooler are like "yeah man, when they went to 12 personnel, that's when the game changed".  RPO is another one.  I hadn't heard that used until the past few weeks, and now it's every other word out of every other person's mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pharos04 said:

I was beginning to think Collinsworth was having asthma issues the way so many plays were breathtaking.  The Ertz TD was absolutely without question.  I get they need to fill the review time so it's not dead air but to even question that....I agree, baffling is really the only term for it. 

 

As someone watching with a heavy rooting interest, I was scared to death about the Ertz play.  It's one of those common sense plays that I just knew they'd overturn because of the Pittsburgh play.  I am obviously so glad they didn't - I can't imagine the reaction had they lost partially due to a play like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This might be the happiest I've felt for anyone who isn't me.

 

 

 

This gives me life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now