2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

18 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This might be the happiest I've felt for anyone who isn't me.

Interesting choice of outfit for EDP, but considering the one time the Eagles wore those blue/yellow colors in a game..... they also scored 40+ points.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Just an observation on coaches, pro and college. 

With yesterday's win, and Gruden's return to the Raiders, that makes seven active NFL coaches who have won Super Bowls:

Sean Payton
Bill Belichick
Jon Gruden
John Harbaugh
Pete Carroll
Doug Pederson
Mike McCarthy

Seven out of 32, between a quarter and a fifth.

On the other hand, in college, there are only FOUR:

Nick Saban

Jumbo Fisher

Urban Meyer

Dabo Swinney.

And college has a LOT more teams.

I wonder why the disparity. Draft/free agency as opposed to recruiting? The Saban effect? (That's one reason why national champ coach Les Miles is no longer on that list). Coach movement to the NFL? (Note Pete Carroll would be on EITHER  list, if you consider the #1 AP ranking for the 2003 season as a championship [they weren't BCS champs, and his 2004 BCS championship was taken back by the NCAA]).....The nature of bowl games vs. pro playoffs?

Hmmm.

Even though there are 4x as many FBS teams as NFL teams, the number of teams with a legit chance to win it all are probably pretty similar. I think it’s mostly the lack of a draft and free agency in college, combined with a more subjective playoff in college. 

This is hysterical. OKC sports anchor is about to talk about the Thunder vs Lakers game when he finds out the Eagles won. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Even though there are 4x as many FBS teams as NFL teams, the number of teams with a legit chance to win it all are probably pretty similar. I think it’s mostly the lack of a draft and free agency in college, combined with a more subjective playoff  blatant bias for the SEC in college.

FTFY

15 hours ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

You forgot Mike Tomlin. 

Damn, I sure did.  That's what i get for doing it in my head....

That makes it an even 1/4 of all active NFL coaches who have won the Super Bowl.

It is what it is.

9 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Even though there are 4x as many FBS teams as NFL teams, the number of teams with a legit chance to win it all are probably pretty similar.

Interesting observation...  going back to the beginning of the Super Bowl era, how many schools have won a natty? AP poll, UPI/CNN Coaches poll, or BCS?  (I'll look this number up, not do it in my head ;)):

Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Texas, Miami, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Michigan, Nebraska, Washington, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Penn State, BYU, Southern Cal, Pittsburgh.  21 teams. 

• If you throw in teams that made the BCS playoffs or the old BCS championship game, you add Oregon, Virginia Tech & Michigan State.  24 teams.
  • And it doesn't go up by much if you go back further to say 1950 when the UPI started-- you add Syracuse, Minnesota, Maryland, & UCLA.  28 teams.
  • Going back to 1936, when the AP final ranking started, and you only add TCU, Army and Texas A&M.  31 teams. 

It is what it is.

The Eagles actually held a fake walkthrough the day before the game just incase the Patriots were still spying.  They didn't tell the players it was fake, but they were all wondering why they were using new signals that they hadn't worked on in any practice leading up to the game, and exclusively running plays that were not in the game plan.  It hasn't been confirmed by anyone, and no one will ever admit it, but the players eventually caught on that whatever they were doing was just for the "benefit" of anyone that happened to be watching.. or taping.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Eagles actually held a fake walkthrough the day before the game just incase the Patriots were still spying.  They didn't tell the players, but they were all wondering why they were using new signals that they hadn't worked on in any practice leading up to the game, and exclusively running plays that were not in the game plan.  It hasn't been confirmed by anyone, but the players eventually caught on that whatever they were doing was just for the "benefit" of anyone that happened to be watching.. or taping.

Keep up the Philly Fan.

Y'all don't wanna give Chip Kelly the credit he deserved via the playbook, the conditioning, and that roster has lots of his dudes.

20 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Keep up the Philly Fan.

Y'all don't wanna give Chip Kelly the credit he deserved via the playbook, the conditioning, and that roster has lots of his dudes.

Hardly any Kelly players remain. They purged most of his recruits - including Eric Rowe, who started for New England but was traded away for no reason other than chip drafted him. Lane Johnson is the most significant Kelly player, and Howie Roseman was still in charg when he was picked. Malcolm Jenkins and Zach Ertz are the only other Kelly players that I think played in the bowl (and again, both were Roseman acquisitions - NOT Kelly’s).  I really don’t think anyone remains from his lone season in total control - the DeMarco Murray era. 

Laugh all you want, but Reid and Kelly have been proven failures outside of Philly too. 

52 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Hardly any Kelly players remain. They purged most of his recruits - including Eric Rowe, who started for New England but was traded away for no reason other than chip drafted him. Lane Johnson is the most significant Kelly player, and Howie Roseman was still in charg when he was picked. Malcolm Jenkins and Zach Ertz are the only other Kelly players that I think played in the bowl (and again, both welre Roseman acquisitions - NOT Kelly’s).  I really don’t think anyone remains from his lone season in total control - the DeMarco Murray era. 

Laugh all you want, but Reid and Kelly have been proven failures outside of Philly too. 

Lane Johnson

Jenkins

Ertz

Agalor

The playbook is intact as a lot of the plays were Chip plays. For years, you admitted you don't watch NCAA football, thus you have little Chip Kelly memory except for...

Fast paced

Weird smoothie

Power trip

This year's championship has lots of Chip's playbook. It just wasn't run as often

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone was curious about that "hand injury" Brady suffered during the playoffs.  

Spoiler

Yeah....damn. 

Gotta give him credit for playing though that. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

When is that photo from? Back when it was first injured or from the super bowl?  I wonder how bad it actually was during the game, though yeah that looks rough. 

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Good call on throwing the flea-flicker to that mangled mitt. 

Of course if he had caught it, it'd just be another genius play call by Belichick, and how amazing Brady is catching a ball with a mangled hand.;)

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

When is that photo from? Back when it was first injured or from the super bowl?  I wonder how bad it actually was during the game, though yeah that looks rough. 

I think either when it first happened, or not long after. Either way, before the AFC Championship. By The Super Bowl, it was already stitched up and (relatively) healed. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

11 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Good call on throwing the flea-flicker to that mangled mitt. 

Throwing the ball repeatedly was probably way more strain on it than catching a light pass would have been. 

Archived