2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

5 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Cutler to the Fins, 1 year 10 million.

Imagine all the things the Dolphins could've done with that $10 million. Donate it to local charities? Buy some brand new equipment for the players? Maybe get a better quarterback replacement? But instead, they waste it on someone who probably hasn't even thrown a football since last year.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Imagine all the things the Dolphins could've done with that $10 million. Donate it to local charities? Buy some brand new equipment for the players? Maybe get a better quarterback replacement? But instead, they waste it on someone who probably hasn't even thrown a football since last year.

Well the $10 million probably speaks to the severity of Tannehill's injury and how much it took to convince Cutler to leave the booth.  Also shows that they believe they're a team that has aspirations of doing more than just reaching the playoffs.

Pretty sure you can't use $10 million of salary cap money donating to the local Food Bank.

What a dumb move. I didn't have Miami repeating last season's (moderate) success even if Tannehill was playing. Their schedule is much more difficult this season and I could only see them winning eight games (and missing the playoffs of course). Putting 10 million on Cutler, a guy who's had questionable leadership and has always been hurt, is a very desperate move.

They would've been better off with Moore.

17 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

What a dumb move. I didn't have Miami repeating last season's (moderate) success even if Tannehill was playing. Their schedule is much more difficult this season and I could only see them winning eight games (and missing the playoffs of course). Putting 10 million on Cutler, a guy who's had questionable leadership and has always been hurt, is a very desperate move.

They would've been better off with Moore.

So naturally Cutler will light up the Bucs defense with MVP caliber play in week 1.

Call me crazy, but I really like the Cutler signing. I think just being out of Chicago will improve Cutler's play. Chicago and Cutler was a bad match from the start. If the guy really is as disinterested in playing as he was portrayed, he wouldn't have bothered to come back. It's not like he needed the money. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe Jay Cutler is going to lead the Dolphins to the Super Bowl, but I don't think the Dolphins signing him is going to be the disaster a lot of people think it will be. 

BB52Big.jpg

7 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Call me crazy, but I really like the Cutler signing. I think just being out of Chicago will improve Cutler's play. Chicago and Cutler was a bad match from the start. If the guy really is as disinterested in playing as he was portrayed, he wouldn't have bothered to come back. It's not like he needed the money. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe Jay Cutler is going to lead the Dolphins to the Super Bowl, but I don't think the Dolphins signing him is going to be the disaster a lot of people think it will be. 

Considering he was supposed to be working for Fox this fall up until yesterday, I just want to know what kind of training he's be doing. Has he kept in shape to potentially get an NFL job? And yeah he had a great year with Adam Gase's offense in 2015, but like BlackBolt said, when's the last time he even threw a football? When's the last time he had to think about the offense and run it? It's not like he's been in all the offseason camps running through it.

And speaking to that last part, what does signing Cutler say about Matt Moore? What does it say *to* Matt Moore? Sure, you've done adequate in back-up work and stepping up when the starters were injured and you've been here all offseason putting in time and learning our system... but we're going to sign Jay freaking Cutler out of the broadcast booth and presumably make him the starter.

I was actually looking forward to Jay Cutler the broadcaster, but alas.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Considering he was supposed to be working for Fox this fall up until yesterday, I just want to know what kind of training he's be doing. Has he kept in shape to potentially get an NFL job? And yeah he had a great year with Adam Gase's offense in 2015, but like BlackBolt said, when's the last time he even threw a football? When's the last time he had to think about the offense and run it? It's not like he's been in all the offseason camps running through it.

And speaking to that last part, what does signing Cutler say about Matt Moore? What does it say *to* Matt Moore? Sure, you've done adequate in back-up work and stepping up when the starters were injured and you've been here all offseason putting in time and learning our system... but we're going to sign Jay freaking Cutler out of the broadcast booth and presumably make him the starter.

I was actually looking forward to Jay Cutler the broadcaster, but alas.

You're supposed wait until the show to yell at me. B) 

BB52Big.jpg

I just ran the playoff predictor thing, and here's what I got:

AMERICAN FOOTBALL CONFERENCE

AFC North

3) Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5)

6) Baltimore Ravens (10-6)

9) Cincinnati Bengals (8-8)

16) Cleveland Browns (2-14)

AFC South

4) Houston Texans (11-5)

7) Tennessee Titans (8-8)

11) Indianapolis Colts (7-9)

12) Jacksonville Jaguars (6-10)

AFC East

1) New England Patriots (15-1)

10) Miami Dolphins (7-9)

13) Buffalo Bills (5-11)

14) New York Jets (4-12)

AFC West

2) Oakland Raiders (12-4)

5) Kansas City Chiefs (10-6)

8) Denver Broncos (8-8)

15) San DiegoLos Angeles Chargers

NATIONAL FOOTBALL CONFERENCE

NFC North

4) Minnesota Vikings (10-6)

6) Green Bay Packers (9-7)

12) Detroit Lions (7-9)

15) Chicago Bears (5-11)

NFC South

2) Atlanta Falcons (11-5)

5) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-7)

7) Carolina Panthers (9-7)

11) New Orleans Saints (7-9)

NFC East

3) Dallas Cowboys (10-6)

8) Washington Redskins (9-7)

10) Philadelphia Eagles (8-8)

14) New York Giants (5-11)

NFC West

1) Seattle Seahawks (13-3)

9) Arizona Cardinals (8-8)

13) Los Angeles Rams (5-11)

16) San Francisco 49ers (4-12)

PLAYOFFS

Wild Card

6) BAL def. 3) PIT

4) HOU def. 5) KC

3) DAL def. 6) GB

5) TB def. 4) MIN

Divisional Round

1) NE def. 6) BAL

2) OAK def. 4) HOU

2) ATL def. 3) DAL

1) SEA def. 5) TB

Conference Championship

2) OAK def. 1) NE

1) SEA def. 2) ATL

Super Bowl LII

A2) OAK def. N1) SEA

ExJworW.png

After 13 years, Vince Wilfork decides to "Trade in those cleats for smoked meats". 

Fantastic Patriot career.

Absolutely Forgettable stint with The Texans. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

1 hour ago, ozzyman314 said:

After 13 years, Vince Wilfork decides to "Trade in those cleats for smoked meats". 

Fantastic Patriot career.

Absolutely Forgettable stint with The Texans. 

I just woke up from a nap when this was airing on ESPN 2's NFL Live--almost thought that was Big Moe Cason (he of BBQ Pitmasters fame and star of a recent Little Caesars' ad) for a second.

Happy trails, Big Vince!

On 8/6/2017 at 0:34 PM, infrared41 said:

Bold preseason predictions: 

• Dallas will regress big time. I predict a 7-9 season. 
  • The Eagles will win the NFC East - easily. 
  • Tom Brady will finally start showing his age. He'll still be decent, but Jimmy Garoppolo will get some starts and the Pats will go 10-6 - which is still more than enough to win the AFC East by 3 games. 
  • Helped by the return of Matavis Bryant, the Steelers will be the best team in the AFC.
  • The San Diego Los Angeles Chargers will win 10 games and make the playoffs. 
  • Tennessee will win the AFC South.
  • Arizona will ride an easy schedule to the #1 seed in the NFC...then they'll promptly lose their first playoff game. 

May as well go with mine:

-I'm with you on the Titans winning their division.  One of those Pro Football analytic sites had the Titans with the third-most talented roster in the league.

-I've no idea what to make of the NFC East.  I don't think the Eagles will win in a runaway (I think the Giants take the division), but any of the four could win and it wouldn't be shocking.  Maybe I have just a little more faith in the Giants defense than the other three.

-I think Buffalo will be New England's biggest challenge in the AFC East, but man those three sure make it easy for the Patriots. I think the Patriots know this will be Brady's last season...not to mention their last shot with him at QB...with all their uncharacteristic offseason moves they made.  They'll still be the #1 seed.  I don't remember their schedule being any difficult.

-I think Seattle misses the playoffs.  They may have the worst offensive line in the league.  Assuming they split with the Cardinals and sweep California, I don't know where they'll find 5 other wins.

-Jacksonville goes 8-8.  Love their defense.

Playoff teams:

NFC: ATL, GB, ARZ, NYG, DAL, TB

AFC: NE, OAK, PIT, TEN, KC, DEN

AFC

1. New England (13-3)

2. Pittsburgh (12-4)

3. Tennessee (11-5)

4. Kansas City (10-6)

5. L.A. Chargers (10-6)

6. Oakland (9-7)

NFC

1. Carolina (12-4)

2. Green Bay (12-4)

3. Arizona (11-5)

4. Dallas (10-6)

5. Atlanta (11-5)

6. Seattle (10-6)

Super Bowl LII: New England over Arizona

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

May as well go with mine:

-I'm with you on the Titans winning their division.  One of those Pro Football analytic sites had the Titans with the third-most talented roster in the league.

-I've no idea what to make of the NFC East.  I don't think the Eagles will win in a runaway (I think the Giants take the division), but any of the four could win and it wouldn't be shocking.  Maybe I have just a little more faith in the Giants defense than the other three.

-I think Buffalo will be New England's biggest challenge in the AFC East, but man those three sure make it easy for the Patriots. I think the Patriots know this will be Brady's last season...not to mention their last shot with him at QB...with all their uncharacteristic offseason moves they made.  They'll still be the #1 seed.  I don't remember their schedule being any difficult.

-I think Seattle misses the playoffs.  They may have the worst offensive line in the league.  Assuming they split with the Cardinals and sweep California, I don't know where they'll find 5 other wins.

-Jacksonville goes 8-8.  Love their defense.

Playoff teams:

NFC: ATL, GB, ARZ, NYG, DAL, TB

AFC: NE, OAK, PIT, TEN, KC, DEN

1. I've believe that every year since 2000 and I think I'm over it. Until Brady retires and/or Belichick dies, the Bills will always be chumps.

2. I bet they take 3 of 4 from the AFC south, plus at least two from the NFC East.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So now the Jets are down their top 3 receivers from a year ago as Quincy Enunwa is out for the year with a neck injury. People have rated them as one of the worst rosters in recent memory. They have brittle 38 year old Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg battling for the top QB spot. Hackenberg might be less accurate then: 

IMG_3662.GIF

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I'm surprised people are so pessimistic about Brady's performance. Attempting to put my bias aside, I still think he still has 2 maybe 3 great years left in him barring any major injury (which he hasn't had for nearly a decade). 

I have heard rumors of Rodgers & Roethlisberger mulling retirement these next few years, and while I find it extremely unlikely, it wouldn't shock me if Brady outlasted them. 

As far as the rest of the season however, my gut tells me we're finally going to get a Super Bowl XXXI rematch between The Patriots & Packers. 

Rest of the NFC is a tossup, as is the AFC aside from Raiders vs. Patriots AFCCG. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

8 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

I'm surprised people are so pessimistic about Brady's performance. Attempting to put my bias aside, I still think he still has 2 maybe 3 great years left in him barring any major injury (which he hasn't had for nearly a decade). 

I have heard rumors of Rodgers & Roethlisberger mulling retirement these next few years, and while I find it extremely unlikely, it wouldn't shock me if Brady outlasted them. 

As far as the rest of the season however, my gut tells me we're finally going to get a Super Bowl XXXI rematch between The Patriots & Packers. 

Rest of the NFC is a tossup, as is the AFC aside from Raiders vs. Patriots AFCCG. 

I'm biased in the complete opposite way. While I applaud his accomplishments and accolades, I'm not a fan of Brady at all. So here is my unbiased view...he may have 1 or 2 dominant years left. I know he takes great care of his body but you can only trick father time for so long. His body will still break down. I can see Big Ben retiring soon, as he has taken a beating. As for Rodgers, I can't see him retiring soon. I feel he is still in the prime of his career. 

The short of all of this is that as long as Brady is healthy, they will breeze through one of the weakest divisions in the NFL and go into the playoffs with home field advantage for the playoffs. And yes, I see them going back to the super bowl. 

8 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

I think a lot of it, especially from fans of other AFC teams, is more wishful hoping than anything else.  The Patriots have been "the team to beat" since 2001.

And some of it has to do with the fact that he's now 40.  If you're not a kicker, it's very rare to see a guy play into his 40's and still be so dominant.  Rice cakes or whatever his supermodel diet is won't fully protect him from the years of playing in the NFL.

Knowing how cerebral the Patriots organization has been during this run, there has to be something going on for them to go completely off-script in player acquisition this past offseason.  A team that's known for collecting draft picks suddenly trades a first-rounder for a WR was a weird move for them.  It's like they know 2017 may be their last go with Brady and possibly Belichick.

Archived