2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

On 9/21/2017 at 9:44 PM, ozzyman314 said:

There'd be more dignity in moving to a new city than crawling back to San Diego.

Then again, I don't think Dean Spanos would know the meaning of the word "dignity" if you gave him a dictionary and highlighted the word.  LOL

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's going to be a very interesting day.  The demographic that the NFL so desperately caters to and adores is suddenly being confronted with the one thing they apparently hate the most - politics in THEIR FOOTBAW.

It's going to be a glorious day for twitter.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

6 hours ago, CS85 said:

Today's going to be a very interesting day.  The demographic that the NFL so desperately caters to and adores is suddenly being confronted with the one thing they apparently hate the most - politics in THEIR FOOTBAW.

It's going to be a glorious day for twitter.  

I dunno, I don't think much will really come out of this.

Aside from the London game today, they don't really show the anthems on TV.  (Not sure they'll show the anthem on the Sunday night game, either.)  Fox/CBS will probably show a quick blurb of whatever players/teams doing their protest/solidarity gesture, then everyone will forget about said protests/gestures once the ball's been kicked off.

26 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I dunno, I don't think much will really come out of this.

Aside from the London game today, they don't really show the anthems on TV.  (Not sure they'll show the anthem on the Sunday night game, either.)  Fox/CBS will probably show a quick blurb of whatever players/teams doing their protest/solidarity gesture, then everyone will forget about said protests/gestures once the ball's been kicked off.

They'll be showing every anthem today.  This is beaucoup bucks for the NFL/FOX/CBS, ratings-wise.  People will be tuning in hoping to see a spectacle.

Owners are coming out.  Even Kraft, who gave $13 million to Trump's campaign, published a statement.  The Ford family came out against Trump, even the blatantly conservative McCaskeys offered a demure gesture supporting the commissioner's words.

Now I absolutely grant you that these are all simply for PR and political purposes that serve ownership in the long run, particularly when it comes to a potential lockout.  If NFL ownership could, they wouldn't pay players at all and would have them put down like horses at 30.

----------

So the anthem for Jags/Ravens was full of kneeling players, with even the Jags owner on the field kneeling with them.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

You know, the ignorance of President Trump is unfathomable. What good could he have possibly thought would come from commenting on something that is relatively inconsequential compared to othet problems facing the US? If the players didn't have a good reason to kneel for the anthem before, they have one now. Now he's legitimized the protests and given the players a cause with a face, what an idiot.

Steelers intend to stay in the locker room during the anthem, leaving the Bears to do what they do best:  Standing around awkwardly on a football field looking bewildered, three steps behind a franchise that knows what the right thing is, and when to do it.

twitter

12 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

You know, the ignorance of President Trump is unfathomable. What good could he have possibly thought would come from commenting on something that is relatively inconsequential compared to othet problems facing the US? If the players didn't have a good reason to kneel for the anthem before, they have one now. Now he's legitimized the protests and given the players a cause with a face, what an idiot.

He essentially revived the kneeling "issue" (for lack of a better word).  If he had just kept his mouth shut, no one would be mentioning the few players that took a knee or sat during the anthem today.  Not only is it the focal point....more players and team personnel are taking a knee.  It'll be interesting to see which immovable object blinks first....the NFL or Trump.

Mike Tomlin has said the Steelers plan on staying inside the locker room during the playing of the anthem.

The Ravens have gone even further by laying out for the entire game....

On 9/21/2017 at 8:44 PM, ozzyman314 said:

There'd be more dignity in moving to a new city than crawling back to San Diego.

Then again, I don't think Dean Spanos would know the meaning of the word "dignity" if you gave him a dictionary and highlighted the word.  LOL

Do you want me to show this to the cat and have the cat tell you what it is? cauuuuuuuse the cat’s gonna get it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bortles is about as bipolar a QB as I've ever seen.  When he's on, the offense looks pretty competent.  But when he's off....my god.  You can see why he was taken in the top 5.  Maybe the threat of a running game is what he needed.

And, in case you hadn't noticed, the mighty Cleveland Browns are not just a favorite in any game for the first time since 2015, they're a road favorite over the Colts today.

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

Steelers intend to stay in the locker room during the anthem, leaving the Bears to do what they do best:  Standing around awkwardly on a football field looking bewildered, three steps behind a franchise that knows what the right thing is, and when to do it.

I could have read about the Steelers anywhere.  But only here do I get to see it written like this.  That's what I love about the board.

As for sticking to the football, we can do that (and will if that's the direction we get from the mods) but it's a bit disingenuous at this point.  Sport has intersected with general culture (or politics) in a way we rarely see.  It's in our faces, our living rooms, and our games.  I can find other places to discuss this (albeit with lesser prose) but I think we're at the point at which keeping it on the field leaves it incomplete.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived