2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

45 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Correct.  This is the bed your party chose to make.  The conservative republicans reluctance to lie in it is not my problem.  Your comfort in spite of yourself is in no way important to me at all - in fact, it's quite the opposite.  

Do you understand that the large majority of people in this country voted not for one candidate but against the other? "This bed" was made by various people, including a great many from both parties, genders, and races who would never admit voting for Trump but did so because they simply couldn't vote for Hillary.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, it’s negligent of athletes/writers/broadcasters/celebrities  not to protest or talk about it somehow. If not them, who? In western culture these are the ones who are given all this clout and fame and power, and if the government and politicians aren’t going to help then these people need to.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

One of my best friends said essentially the same thing to me yesterday morning (after saying he decided to turn down a Ravens-Steelers ticket for next week).  I also look to sports and entertainment as an escape (which may be why I gravitate towards comedies), but I guess a little intrusion from the outside world doesn't bother me that much.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't kneel if I was in the same position.  However, even as someone who's father and stepfather both served in the military, I respect those that made that choice.  I also am certainly not bothered enough by that choice to say, "I've been watching the NFL since the early '70s, but that's it!!!  No more money from me!!!"

I wouldn't kneel either - ever. You know the movie Hacksaw Ridge? That was about my father's unit, the 77th Infantry Division. His company started the Okinawa campaign with 203 officers and men. After 82 days of battle, he was one of 16 left alive. He took his guilt over coming home when so many of his buddies are buried in the Pacific to his grave. None of that makes America perfect, and there's a lot of work to be done. But it can be done without disrespecting the National Anthem and flag. 

One of the greatest ironies here is how much has been sacrificed by this country to provide and preserve a society in which people have the right to protest. That's part of what makes America different. There are those here who diminish and even ridicule patriotism. That's their loss, not mine. 

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Sorry that racial dialogue makes you feel uncomfortable. It's a damn shame that they're inconveniencing your football time.. I mean, the original intent behind the protests was just to bring racial injustice to the national spotlight, but as long as those injustices don't happen to you, or your family, you want to simply to get away from it all and enjoy some entertainment? 

Out of sight and out of mind, right?  

I'm a minority in this country in both racially and religiously and do believe that is the wrong place to complain about the police brutality that effects not just African Americans but every race and ethnicity in this country. Sports are where I and many others go to forget about all of the problems in the world, sports are escapism and should be treated as such. I understand and respect completely that they have the right to protest and free speech, i feel like it's for the best if they did it outside of their uniforms when the game is over. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Just now, masterchaoss said:

I'm a minority in this country in both racially and religiously and do believe that is the wrong place to complain about the police brutality that effects not just African Americans but every race and ethnicity in this country. Sports are where I and many others go to forget about all of the problems in the world, sports are escapism and should be treated as such. I understand and respect completely that they have the right to protest and free speech, i feel like it's for the best if they did it outside of their uniforms when the game is over. 

I agree. I'm not against the protests. I just personally couldn't protest myself. And at this point, this issue needs to be moved forward beyond just an anthem protest.

34 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Sorry that racial dialogue makes you feel uncomfortable. It's a damn shame that they're inconveniencing your football time.. I mean, the original intent behind the protests was just to bring racial injustice to the national spotlight, but as long as those injustices don't happen to you, or your family, you want to simply to get away from it all and enjoy some entertainment? 

Out of sight and out of mind, right?  

This is a little presumptuous. He said nothing about the protests being wrong. All he said was that he wish he could have sports without the politics. Nothing wrong with that. It was a form of escapism from this rotten world. Not anymore.

31 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Do you understand that the large majority of people in this country voted not for one candidate but against the other? "This bed" was made by various people, including a great many from both parties, genders, and races who would never admit voting for Trump but did so because they simply couldn't vote for Hillary.

A vote out of spite/contempt/disdain is still a vote.  Write-in, 3rd party, or outright abstention were options. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

Camden Yards is Sunday only . . . as I can attest from yesterday.  On Fridays, they play "This Land Is Your Land", which is apparently meant to send a subtle message of diversity and inclusivity.

What's funny about that, to me at least, is that "This Land Is Your Land" was written as a direct response to "God Bless America".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Land_Is_Your_Land

55 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

So they chose instead to vote for the guy whose campaign involved enabling white supremacists.  You vote for the guy, you own the platform, congrats.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

54 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

I wouldn't kneel either - ever. You know the movie Hacksaw Ridge? That was about my father's unit, the 77th Infantry Division. His company started the Okinawa campaign with 203 officers and men. After 82 days of battle, he was one of 16 left alive. He took his guilt over coming home when so many of his buddies are buried in the Pacific to his grave. None of that makes America perfect, and there's a lot of work to be done. But it can be done without disrespecting the National Anthem and flag. 

One of the greatest ironies here is how much has been sacrificed by this country to provide and preserve a society in which people have the right to protest. That's part of what makes America different. There are those here who diminish and even ridicule patriotism. That's their loss, not mine. 

New idea, how about we get mad at those entities that one on end chose to appropriate the flag and other signs of cheap jingoistic Patriotism and on the other hand chose to implicitly or explicitly condone racism and police violence against minorities.  Maybe it's those guys who are disrespecting the National Anthem and flag, especially by so closely tying it to their other policies.

Because let me tell you something, if the National Anthem hadn't become so closely intertwined with those awful, negative things, it wouldn't become a source of protest.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Seriously, though, folks are mad about disrespecting the flag?!

THIS, THIS RIGHT HERE BELOW IS DISRESPECTING THE :censored: ING FLAG

https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+lives+matter+flag&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJv5z7t8HWAhVHwVQKHSkIBOIQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=636

Of course, there's a strong overlap between the folks who think the above is right as rain and those who get mad at athletes taking a knee during the national anthem.  And they cannot comprehend how the former might be driving the latter.

Today, we are all otaku.

2 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

Including whites?

You know this whole thing has raised another question for me: when did kneeling become a sign of disrespect?

If I remember my history classes correctly, I seem to recall that throughout human history, and in various different cultures, kneeling before something has always been a sign of respect. Isn't that why people kneel during prayer, in the many different forms of religion that still exist today? Or in the sports world, when a player is hurt and unable to get up, players kneel out of respect and not disrespect, correct?

I just can't seem to remember when this changed. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

3 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Including whites? 

yes, there are an awful lot of cases of excessive force used by police officers against every race including white people. A lot of people have died in this country because some police officers are too quick to use lethal force when it really isn't necessary, we have a big problem with violent police in this country. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Here's a side question in all this: why do we continue to play these anthems in the first place instead of doing team specific songs or chants and dances like the Haka or whatever it was the Iceland soccer team did a while back? I'd fine that way more entertaining and engaging than militaristic pandering.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

1 minute ago, masterchaoss said:

yes, there are an awful lot of cases of excessive force used by police officers against every race including white people. A lot of people have died in this country because some police officers are too quick to use lethal force when it really isn't necessary, we have a big problem with violent police in this country. 

So it's okay to peacefully protest police violence in this country so long as you don't do it during a football game?

Archived