2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

You have yet to illustrate your comment going back to the NBA Playoffs.

Piss off. I have plenty of times. I've always owned up when my team loses. The Pats owe their losses their putrid defense, the Red Sox were completely outclassed in every way against the Astros. IDK why you brought up the NBA playoffs, all I said then was that the Celtics have a bright championship possible future which so many analyst also agree with. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

3 hours ago, Quillz said:

So he’s claiming no team will hire him because of his politics? If that was the case, wouldn’t all the protesting players be free agents?

Seems more likely to me he has simply regressed as a player. I think he had a great season a few years back, but both him and the team fell off hard. 

If you were a Packers fan, who would you rather have starting at quarterback: Brett Hundley or Colin Kaepernick?

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

The reason others are not all free agents is because unlike Kaep, they are not the face of the movement and, therefore, do not bring with them nearly as much negative publicity.

You can't just "move the target" on the reason why one protesting player can't get a job and others can.  While Kaepernick may be the head of the movement, just about all the fans complaining about those not standing are putting all the protestors under the same umbrella.

Let's look at things strictly from the football side of things.  Just on the standpoint of "What's he doing to get his team to victory?", Kaepernick took a Super Bowl contender and spiraled to an 8-8 record, won a total of three games in the 2015 and 2016 seasons, and twice lost his starting job to a guy that got released from the Jaguars, a team that's not exactly had a solid QB the last few years.  Those that make money from scouting/assessing talent (and I'm not limiting that to NFL front offices) have seen a decline in skills from Kaepernick.  His game got figured out.  And with a QB that needs a specific system to play in instead of being taylor-made for any system, that eliminates like 75% of the teams that could suit him.  Plus, you're expecting him to be picked up in Week 7 (at the earliest) and be game-ready for a team and an offensive philosophy that he's likely never played under, for an OC and/or QB coach he likely has no history with.  How's that going to turn out?  And, we haven't even factored in whatever money situations these teams have.

Now off the field....the last thing coaches and players want and need for the heart of the season is being asked over and over and over and over and over about Kaepernick.  There's only 3-6 days during the week for these staffs...known for working 25-hour days....to get ready for Sunday.  Being men of routines, they don't want any sort of deviations to normalcy as much as possible.  Being nagged about Kaepernick, for good or bad or whatever, goes against that.

24 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

If you were a Packers fan, who would you rather have starting at quarterback: Brett Hundley or Colin Kaepernick?

Which guy has a better understanding of what the Packers are doing and has some sort of rapport with the receivers/team?

That would be my answer.  Even though Kaepernick has taken a team to a Super Bowl, he wouldn't be the better option for the 2017 Falcons than Matt Schaub.

22 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

You can't just "move the target" on the reason why one protesting player can't get a job and others can.  While Kaepernick may be the head of the movement, just about all the fans complaining about those not standing are putting all the protestors under the same umbrella.

Let's look at things strictly from the football side of things.  Just on the standpoint of "What's he doing to get his team to victory?", Kaepernick took a Super Bowl contender and spiraled to an 8-8 record, won a total of three games in the 2015 and 2016 seasons, and twice lost his starting job to a guy that got released from the Jaguars, a team that's not exactly had a solid QB the last few years.  Those that make money from scouting/assessing talent (and I'm not limiting that to NFL front offices) have seen a decline in skills from Kaepernick.  His game got figured out.  And with a QB that needs a specific system to play in instead of being taylor-made for any system, that eliminates like 75% of the teams that could suit him.  Plus, you're expecting him to be picked up in Week 7 (at the earliest) and be game-ready for a team and an offensive philosophy that he's likely never played under, for an OC and/or QB coach he likely has no history with.  How's that going to turn out?  And, we haven't even factored in whatever money situations these teams have.

Now off the field....the last thing coaches and players want and need for the heart of the season is being asked over and over and over and over and over about Kaepernick.  There's only 3-6 days during the week for these staffs...known for working 25-hour days....to get ready for Sunday.  Being men of routines, they don't want any sort of deviations to normalcy as much as possible.  Being nagged about Kaepernick, for good or bad or whatever, goes against that.

Let's take a closer look at that point you have brought up multiple times before.

He didn't lose the job due to performance, rather it was due to the 49ers not wanting to guarantee his 2016 salary since he had left labrum surgery in November 2015 followed by knee and thumb surgeries in January 2016.  He had to forgo the 2017 injury guarantee salary of $14M to even see the field in 2016.

But he's had a titanium rod in his left leg since he was drafted and wasn't thought of as damaged goods then.

Coaches and execs love to talk up "sacrifice" and "desire', yet outside of Oregon State's Gary Andersen this week, there ain't many of them sacrificing $14 f'n million.

And if one other guy did, you read a story the next day of their spouse taking the Escalade/Suburban, taking the kids and leaving his ass.

Kaepernick on the Packers would be fascinating in how it could dramatically realign the schisms between liberal Wisconsin and conservative Wisconsin as they have to choose between their unwavering fealty to Scott Walker and Paul Ryan or their unwavering fealty to the Green Bay Packers. Imagine Waukesha County MAGA scum throwing all their XXXI memorabilia in an oil drum and lighting it on fire, but also imagine some of their neighbors declaring that they're selling their jet skis to raise money for Black Lives Matter (but they're from Wisconsin so it comes out "Blake Lives Mayter"). 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

27 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Ewing Theory in effect for the G-Men?

More like Mike Lombardi's Cheesecake Factory theory for Ben McAdoo. His play sheet is so large, it's like the menu at the Cheesecake Factory. He didn't call the plays tonight, OC Mike Sullivan did.

24 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Kaepernick on the Packers would be fascinating in how it could dramatically realign the schisms between liberal Wisconsin and conservative Wisconsin as they have to choose between their unwavering fealty to Scott Walker and Paul Ryan or their unwavering fealty to the Green Bay Packers. Imagine Waukesha County MAGA scum throwing all their XXXI memorabilia in an oil drum and lighting it on fire, but also imagine some of their neighbors declaring that they're selling their jet skis to raise money for Black Lives Matter (but they're from Wisconsin so it comes out "Blake Lives Mayter"). 

America needs this healing moment.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

I wouldn’t know, I don’t watch enough football to say. Never been my favorite sport to watch. 

11 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

While it wasn't the middle of the season, the Eagles signed Michael Vick who was way more controversial than Kaepernick, and caused way more distractions than he will, and the outrage and distractions (at least the media distractions) lasted a few weeks then mostly went away once the season started.  It really didn't matter.

If anything, the distractions can relieve pressure from the other players on the team who are no longer getting asked about every nuance of their game.

There is something to be said for signing a guy that feels he should be a starter and forcing him into a backup role - it can cause a bad attitude and chemistry problems - but I don't see that being the case here.

If there was collusion, and honestly it's very hard to believe that there wasn't, it was more prior to the season rather than now, since it's not that common to bring in QBs to a new system in the middle of the season. 

That being said, why the F not?  I'm sick and tired of everyone pretending that football is some super complicated intellectual sport with systems that require years to master.  Jesus christ - it's all the same, just different words for the formations.  If you're a pro, you can step in and play. Stop it with the coaches that need to work 25 hour days trying to figure out how to isolate a receiver against a linebacker.  Stop it with the complicated systems that take years to learn.  NOne of these guys are geniuses.  A lot of them are below average intelligence.  It comes down to better athletes beating worse ones, and better play calls beating weaker ones.  Any idiot RB knows where the hole is supposed to be, they just need to be athletic enough to hit it or cut back if it's not there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Patriots are gonna luck their way to a SB win if the refs keep giving them lucky calls like that "touchdown fumble".

The defense has given up 300+ passing yards in every game this season. They will need every little bit of that Patriot luck if they want to repeat.

Archived