2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/15/2017 at 9:45 PM, the admiral said:

Sports leases are printed on toilet paper and the stadium has already been delayed at least another year. As long as San Diego has a stadium, there's an exit strategy.

Based on the terms of the lease, i'm sure Kroenke would let them out of it.  I don't see how he profits much (if at all) from their presence.  He makes literally nothing off of their game days, and the shared revenue sources don't really require a second team, unless naming rights become a ton more valuable because it's used every week rather than every other.  All the non-NFL revenue is his anyway, since he owns it and books concerts there etc.

I think it's the league that would intervene, considering all it took to get to this point. After how much money was spent on lawyers, meetings, studies, and the impact to the Raiders, I can't imagine the league allowing them to back out.  Once the Raiders leave for Vegas, there's no chance of it happening.

The only thing I can think of is the Raiders deal with LV falls apart, then they make Spanos pay a hefty penalty and then shift both teams south.  Of course, part of Spanos' decision was based on not wanting the Raiders cutting into his market, so I'm not sure why he'd want to get out of it when even with no fan support he stands to make money.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Chargers and Raiders are both such inept organizations that I wouldn't be surprised to see them wind up back in San Diego and stuck in Oakland, respectively. Of the three, only the Rams' relocation truly felt like it was thought out and made sense. The other two, from the shared Carson stadium to this, have always been duct tape and chewing gum to me. Sure, we'll build on a toxic waste dump, we'll play in a soccer stadium for three years, we'll finance this multi-billion-dollar dome and just hang out here in the meantime. This is all totally normal.

I think the league has taken the temperature of this whole L.A. Chargers mess and, if it came down to it, would not put up much of a fight if someone, whether a Spanos or a new majority investor, agreed to call the whole thing off in exchange for the rights to the Los Angeles television market and maybe some money for further inconveniencing everyone. What I'm really praying for is the Raiders being rescued from the worst city in America.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/16/2017 at 9:59 AM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I feel that SD fans will still follow due to the fact that they believe the team will return, sooner rather than later. 

More likely that SD fans will either...

- Become Ram fans just to spite the Spanoses.

- Hop on 30 other bandwagons.

or...

- Give up on the NFL altogether.

On 8/16/2017 at 9:59 AM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I feel that SD fans will still follow due to the fact that they believe the team will return, sooner rather than later. 

Not been what I've seen. Bar I watch football at always was about half Chargers fans, half the rest of us who root for other teams. Now it's down to one Chargers fan, and they relegated him and the Chargers to a TV in the far corner of the bar. The rest of them have either jumped ship to the Niners, Eagles, Seahawks, Cardinals, Raiders... or have given up on the NFL completely. Same goes for everyone I've talked to otherwise. None are remaining Chargers fans. Now some may still watch the Chargers like you'd watch a circus train that derailed and exploded... but it's not because they expect them back. It's because they're a dumpster fire you've been living with for over 5 decades and now they're a dumpster fire you can actually mock openly.

1 minute ago, bosrs1 said:

Not been what I've seen. Bar I watch football at always was about half Chargers fans, half the rest of us who root for other teams. Now it's down to one Chargers fan, and they relegated him and the Chargers to a TV in the far corner of the bar. The rest of them have either jumped ship to the Niners, Eagles, Seahawks, Cardinals, Raiders... or have given up on the NFL completely. Same goes for everyone I've talked to otherwise. None are remaining Chargers fans. Now some may still watch the Chargers like you'd watch a circus train that derailed and exploded... but it's not because they expect them back. It's because they're a dumpster fire you've been living with for over 5 decades and now they're a dumpster fire you can actually mock openly.

Correct.

20 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

:lol:

If they ever do return, will it be the same as it was before they left? 

sig.png

35 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

:lol:

If they ever do return, will it be the same as it was before they left? 

Probably not. They've burned a bunch of bridges. I mean if the Bolts ever came back I'm sure many of their now former fans would come back. There were too many Chargers car stickers and random people wearing Chargers jerseys on Sundays before they left for them not to get a large chunk of their former diehards back. But it would have to be without the Spanos family I suspect for them to make a go of it again in SD. Those morons have burned SD far too many times. And the longer they're gone, the less people will care as they'll have moved on to their new teams or with a more fulfilling football free life.

3 hours ago, ninersdd said:

Good read. The Chargers might actually be the fourth-most popular NFL franchise in LA, behind the Rams, Raiders and Cowboys. What a joke.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 8/21/2017 at 1:40 AM, DG_Now said:

Good read. The Chargers might actually be the fourth-most popular NFL franchise in LA, behind the Rams, Raiders and Cowboys. What a joke.

I bet there's more Broncos, Steelers, 49ers, and Patriots fans in LA too. And behind USC and UCLA they're at least the six favorite football team in LA, not to mention all of the other sports teams.

Of all the franchise relocations the one that previously made the least sense to me was Sonics to Oklahoma City, but at least they went to a city that wanted them. This one really is the dumbest and most ill-advised. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived