2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

Seemed pretty obvious once you got a good look at it. Made sense to overturn it. 

It makes sense that you'd have to control it the whole way through. 

The issue i think,  is that so many rules are either out of date with current technology, or just so sloppily written that it leaves so much up for interpretation. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Also, it it benefits the Patriots, you ought to chose the opposite way.

OTOH, if it benefits the Steelers, you ought to choose the opposite way as well.

It's a real "kick in the shin vs. kick in the groin" kind of deal where one choice is objectively worse than the other, but doesn't mean that the "better choice" won't leave you in extreme pain anyway.

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

It must be great being a Pats fan.

Like tripping on the sidewalk and finding a 100 bill.

They truly have it better than anyone else.

Is it safe to say you don't like the Patriots? Just a speculation on my end, but what do I know.

ICXC NIKA

29 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

It must be great being a Pats fan.

Like tripping on the sidewalk and finding a 100 bill.

They truly have it better than anyone else.

tumblr_lo59nljyh61qjt1vg.gif

Now I hate the Patriots, but you need to quit while you're ahead. You hate the Patriots; we get it. No need to keep reminding us.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

It’s not even that people hate the Patriots. It’s that they hate that their teams aren’t run as well, so they take it out on Patriots fans even though they wish that the situation was reversed. It’s pretty silly. 

Theres 30 fanbases (maybe Pittsburgh is exempt) that would trade everything about their team for the last 20 years to have what the Patriots have. To claim otherwise is silly, and to hate rather than admit jealousy is immature. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd also say that the vast majority of Boston sports fans here aren't the "TAWMY FROM QUINZEE" stereotypes, so complaining about them here isn't really the most appropriate platform. Most of us have expressed gratitude and we've recognized how blessed we've been as a fanbase in the past ~15 years.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

8 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

tumblr_lo59nljyh61qjt1vg.gif

Now I hate the Patriots, but you need to quit while you're ahead. You hate the Patriots; we get it. No need to keep reminding us.

Just hide his posts. It's been one of the better decisions I've made in my time here. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

10 hours ago, Brass said:

I'd also say that the vast majority of Boston sports fans here aren't the "TAWMY FROM QUINZEE" stereotypes, so complaining about them here isn't really the most appropriate platform. Most of us have expressed gratitude and we've recognized how blessed we've been as a fanbase in the past ~15 years.

I appreciate all of you Boston area fans on here because you are all pretty objective, unlike the fans that seem to form the stereotype.

I think most people confuse hatred with jealousy. A lot of people who hate the Patriots are just so jealous of all the ridiculous success the team has had over the past 15 years. Like Vet said, I don't think there would be a single fan of any other team (sans Pittsburgh) who wouldn't trade everything for their team to have the same amount of success as New England had.

(I'm not going to lie saying I would be one of those guys who would trade everything so Dallas wouldn't have this 2 decade long string of mediocrity.)

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Of course an alternate option is to just divorce oneself from NFL fandom altogether and become more of a casual observer of the games. 

It's one of the best decisions I've made in quite a while.

(Oh and...what Rockstar Matt said, too.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 12/19/2017 at 3:47 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

It’s not even that people hate the Patriots. It’s that they hate that their teams aren’t run as well, so they take it out on Patriots fans even though they wish that the situation was reversed. It’s pretty silly. 

Theres 30 fanbases (maybe Pittsburgh is exempt) that would trade everything about their team for the last 20 years to have what the Patriots have. To claim otherwise is silly, and to hate rather than admit jealousy is immature. 

I disagree. People hate the arrogance and obnoxious behavior of that entire franchise, including the loud majority of their fans. And then there's the two cheating scandals that they were slapped on the wrist for.

The Packers are much better run than most NFL franchises as well, but they aren't hated nearly as much as the Patriots are. There's a reason for that.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

The Packers are much better run than most NFL franchises as well, but they aren't hated nearly as much as the Patriots are. There's a reason for that.

Are they? Or has Aaron Rodgers' play mask a decade of poor decisions both talent evaluation (Ted Thompson) and coaching (McCarthy)?

5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Are they? Or has Aaron Rodgers' play mask a decade of poor decisions both talent evaluation (Ted Thompson) and coaching (McCarthy)?

Those 2 decades of contention have only netted the team three NFC championships, with the last one coming seven years ago. I'd hardly put them in the same boat as the Pats.

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I disagree. People hate the arrogance and obnoxious behavior of that entire franchise, including the loud majority of their fans. And then there's the two cheating scandals that they were slapped on the wrist for.

This is silly. First, the packers are well run, but are barely playing the same sport as the patriots, let alone being in the same ballpark. They’re a well run team, but Jesus get real - 7 Super Bowls and 5 wins vs 2 and 1 in the same time frame. 

Stop it with “obnoxious fans”. Every team has “obnoxious fans” when they’re great, except for some of the heeuck heeuck golly gee midwestern fans, and the West Coast fans that aren’t really into it anyway. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Where are you encountering these fans?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

16 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This is silly. First, the packers are well run, but are barely playing the same sport as the patriots, let alone being in the same ballpark. They’re a well run team, but Jesus get real - 7 Super Bowls and 5 wins vs 2 and 1 in the same time frame. 

Stop it with “obnoxious fans”. Every team has “obnoxious fans” when they’re great, except for some of the heeuck heeuck golly gee midwestern fans, and the West Coast fans that aren’t really into it anyway. 

I'm not even convinced the Packers are all that well run.  Over 95% of their snaps have been taken by Hall-of-Famers for the past 25 years.  That's the primary difference between them and most teams.  Rodgers injuries seem to impact that team a lot more than Brady injuries impact the Pats.  If you sort "well run" from 1-32, I think the biggest gap is between #1 and #2.  

And regarding obnoxious fans, I think the Packers have some of the most obnoxious fans.  Why do I think that?  Probably mostly because they're a rival team that has been a contender each of the last 25 years (save for the two Rodgers injury seasons).  Their fans feel that the Packers are more than just a football team, are dumbfounded that anyone would root for a different team, and wear things that indicate an inflated sense of importance (Packer pope hats, buttons that say "God is a Packer fan," etc.).  But if I was a Bucs fan, I probably would not care.  I'd probably be sick of obnoxious Falcon fans.

While there is some element beyond just "success" and "envy,"  (like a couple of cheating issues and some outrageous luck at the hands of some terrible rules), I think "Patriots Fatigue" is the driving force.  The Packers are a threat to win the Super Bowl every year (barring QB injury, of course) but they're usually lacking a running game, have a below-average defense, etc.  Aside from irrationally pessimistic NFC North fans (guilty, as charged), we seldom go into a season thinking that the Packers are as good as in the Super Bowl.  We think that with the Pats some years.  And they've won five with this one QB while the Packers have only managed two with their two QBs.  I think Vikings, Lions, and Bears fans have reason to have Packers fatigue, but nationally?  Not quite.  

I have Patriots Fatigue coming out of my ears.  I cheer against them almost all the time.  In the big picture, I think most of this is fatigue combined with envy.  Deflategate was a joke.  I believe that the team, and Brady, did everything they were accused of...but four games?  That kind of stuff (greasing the jerseys, etc.) traditionally results in a small fine.  My feeling is that public outcry (and therefore the obscenely rich Commissioner's making-it-up-as-he-goes punishment) like that would not have happened had that occurred with any other team.

I get a bit cynical about the Teams That Matter.  Packers, Patriots, Cowboys, and Steelers.  I was convinced that the Officials lock out would end after one of those teams lost a game on a controversial call (boom!) and I remain convinced that if that had happened to the Titans it would be long forgotten.  But I have to acknowledge that the Packers differ from the other three.  The other three are polarizing.  The Cowboys always matter.  They have a lot of fans, but a lot of haters.  The Steelers and Patriots have some of that going on, as well. But the Packers are probably the second-favorite team for most non-Viking/Lion/Bear fans.  I don't know if it's the small town, public ownership, or what.  But outside of the NFC North, they're not polarizing.  They're just beloved. It would be interesting to see what would happen if they won five Super Bowls in a decade or something.

I only hope I one day cheer for a team as hated as the Pats are today.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Patriots are probably my favorite AFC team, but I'm assuming the animosity for them has to come from other fans assuming the Patriots bend the rules to win. People are so attached to one team that they hate on other successful teams. It's kind of ridiculous that people are so against liking more than one team, especially in the age of free agency, elite college players, and fantasy football.

For example, my top 3 would be Vikings, Bears, Patriots.

Archived