2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People hate the Patriots because of their success. Plain and simple. If they had half of the accomplishments they've accumulated in the last 16 years, they hate wouldn't nearly be as strong. You can attribute any negative qualities you like (arrogance, obnoxiousness, classlessness and what have you) to franchise because when a team is good, it seems like those qualities become amplified but in reality, it's far more likely that people only focus on those traits because they need something to rationalize their dislike.

Basically, you see only what you want to see. The truth is that any negative trait any person attaches to one franchise, can be accredited to your favorite franchise as well. 

Having said that, I still hate the Patriots. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

It's not just that the Patriots have been good, but also that the NFL's rules have changed throughout their 15-year dynasty, and each iteration of those rule changes (or rule interpretations) have favored the Patriots' ongoing success.

It started with the tuck rule, and has continued through increased protection of quarterbacks, which has likely extended Tom Brady's playing career.

Of course other teams have the ability to draft like the Patriots, exploit rules like the Patriots, and build around successful quarterbacks like the Patriots, but sometimes having the GOAT QB in a league that increasingly favors QBs is a cheat code other teams can never catch up with.

The Steelers have competed but have only two championships to show for it. The Giants lucked into two others. The Seahawks came closest to establishing ongoing success, but have shown that you can't sustain a dynasty based on defense because defense continues to be sacrificed in favor of sweet QB-to-WR TDs. That and they should have run the damn ball.

And, FWIW, a lot of Boston fans didn't comport themselves very well through the rise of their sports success in the early 2000s. They wanted credit for winning teams and supporting forever losers, except by 2011, all of their teams won. So they lingered a bit too long on the "woe is us" label past the point of absurdity. That sentiment is mostly gone now, but it lasted through most of the last decade as they picked off championships in the four American sports leagues one by one.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

29 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

It's not just that the Patriots have been good, but also that the NFL's rules have changed throughout their 15-year dynasty, and each iteration of those rule changes (or rule interpretations) have favored the Patriots' ongoing success.

Backing up the extra point spot may well have prevented yet another Pats Super Bowl. So there is that. 

30 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

That sentiment is mostly gone now, but it lasted through most of the last decade as they picked off championships in the four American sports leagues one by one.

Yeah, but they've never won MLS Cup. 

For the record, while it seems like I defend them at every corner, I have no love for the Patriots - I just admire them, I like Brady, and some day want to be able to tell youngsters that I was alive during the greatest sports dynasty of a generation - a team that won n SBs, where n is an integer > 5.

I think sports are better when there's a villain, and a dynasty to overcome.  I wish it could be one of "my" teams that was that villain (goddamit it should have been the Phillies during their run, but their stupid :censored: GM screwed that up) but it's not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, DG_Now said:

It started with the tuck rule, and has continued through increased protection of quarterbacks, which has likely extended Tom Brady's playing career.

By no means am I a Pats fan....

Sorry, but Bill Polian, Payton Manning and Jim Irsay (along w/Holmgren and Martz) forced the point of emphasis in 2004 regarding Illegal Contact aka Ty Law Rule since physical DBs were jamming Harrison/Wayne/Clark.

Back in 2010, when the NFL moved the Umpire from the defensive side of the ball to the offensive size, Polian and the Colts got the positioning changed from 15 yards from the line of scrimmage to 12 after the preseason so they could run plays faster limit defensive subs.

Bilichek just seems to be more of the trendsetter, or first to copy like when he and his then staff went to Eugene to see Chip Kelly years before he was hired by the Eagles or by running "12 personnel" and throwing the ball to his two huge a$$ TEs rather than a traditional power running game.

If there's a B!tch franchise since 2000, it is the Colts.

I know the Packers were missing a bunch of key players tonight, including Clay Matthews and Aaron Rodgers. But man, the Vikings look really good. They're going to be tough to beat whether they're playing indoors or on the road in January. 

Meanwhile in the AFC, it's looking like Baltimore has a wild card berth pretty much locked up at this point. It's going to come down to the Titans, Bills and Chargers for the last spot. 

It's really starting to look like forfeiting that game against The Chargers by sitting Tyrod for no :censored:ing reason is in fact going to cost The Bills a playoff spot. :lol:

No wonder they have the craziest, most drunk fanbase in the NFL.

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

8 hours ago, rainmaker17 said:

If Carroll wasn't such an inept gum-chewing cheerleader and Quinn kept his foot on the gas, the "dynasty" would look a lot more meager.

If if if.... but it happened, and it's a dynasty whether you want to put it in quotes or not.  

IF Donovan McNabb wasn't a bitch and threw up on the field, the Eagles might have a win over the Patriots, but he did, and they don't.  IF wide-right didn't happen, the Parcells Giants wouldn't have 2 SBs, but they do.  You can probably go back and find fluky turning point plays in a lot of games, but that doesn't change history.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

It's really starting to look like forfeiting that game against The Chargers by sitting Tyrod for no :censored:ing reason is in fact going to cost The Bills a playoff spot. :lol:

No wonder they have the craziest, most drunk fanbase in the NFL.

Whether or not they get to the playoffs; their fans will still find a reason to throw each other through tables. That may or may not be on fire.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Anyone who is at this awful Browns-Bears game today is there because their relatives pawned third-hand tickets on them to divert them from ruining a fifth consecutive Christmas Eve party. It's gonna be 35,000 people who repeatedly walk into walls like a Sims glitch.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Anyone who is at this awful Browns-Bears game today is there because their relatives pawned third-hand tickets on them to divert them from ruining a fifth consecutive Christmas Eve party. It's gonna be 35,000 people who repeatedly walk into walls like a Sims glitch.

Perfect for those relatives who just have to bring up politics during Christmas Eve dinner.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

On 12/21/2017 at 7:55 PM, dfwabel said:

If there's a B!tch franchise since 2000, it is the Colts.

Hey, you watch your mou...

screen-shot-2015-06-11-at-4-08-03-pm.png

You are right.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

30 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So with the season almost over, any thoughts on Tony Romo's first year as Color Commentator?  I

I love him. He's honestly my favorite football announcer right now. He has a little bit of wrasslin' announcer in him, he has insight as someone who played in the league literally last year, and he seems to be pretty good at picking out plays before they happen. Most announcers in all sports are interchangeable bores, and I think he actually adds to the viewing experience.

35 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So with the season almost over, any thoughts on Tony Romo's first year as Color Commentator? 

I hate him as a commentator. He never shuts up so Jim Nantz can't get a word in edgewise. He's like the guy who you watch the game with who wants to show you how much he knows about football so he's calling plays and pointing out stuff that's pretty obvious to anyone who is pretty knowledge about football anyway. I have to mute the tv when I watch Romo games on CBS. I think I would rather listen to Collinsworth and that's something I thought I'd never say in my lifetime.

Archived