2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never before has a team and a city celebrated a 9-7 season quite like this. But you know what, after 18 freakin' years, this team deserves this. The Bills have spoiled plenty of opportunities to end the drought over the years. Losing to Pittsburgh's backups and third stringers in 2004 with a playoff berth on the line, starting off 5-1 and collapsing in 2008, starting off 5-2 and collapsing again in 2011, being eliminated from contention by a 1-win Raiders team in 2014, squandering so many close games in the Rex era, the list goes on and on...  It's mathematically impossible to not sneak into the NFL playoffs at least one time in 18 years, and yet the Bills found a way to do it. I mean even the Browns have made it once since '99! 

After sleeping on it last night, it still hasn't quite hit me yet that the drought is officially over. I keeping thinking back to all the heart-breaking losses and the constant disappointment. Year after year, having to watch all those crappy QBs and incompetent head coaches (I'm looking at you Dick Jauron!). I don't even care the this team basically back pedaled into the tournament, or that Tyrod is definitely gone in the offseason, or that this team still has a lot of holes to plug on the roster. For the first time since I was still in elementary school, I get to watch a Bills playoff game in January. I didn't think I'd have to wait this long to experience this again, but I'll take it. 

4 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

After sleeping on it last night, it still hasn't quite hit me yet that the drought is officially over. I keeping thinking back to all the heart-breaking losses and the constant disappointment. Year after year, having to watch all those crappy QBs and incompetent head coaches (I'm looking at you Dick Jauron!). I don't even care the this team basically back pedaled into the tournament, or that Tyrod is definitely gone in the offseason, or that this team still has a lot of holes to plug on the roster.

Like @BringBackTheVet said, you'd figure they could at least be one of those one-year wonders once in almost 20 years, but they somehow always managed to mess it up. Doesn't matter how it happened. It's still weird for me, also, to think that they're in the playoffs. I half expect to hear from the NFL tomorrow, "Upon further review..."

So what happens now? The playoff teams just like keep playing games or something? I'm a little rusty.

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

From what I've seen the past few weeks, they're in the process of doing just that.

No, they're just not giving anybody any tape on the new Nick Foles offense.  Why on earth would they want to show everyone what's coming when the games don't mean anything?  The way they're telling him to throw interceptions just to fake out the other playoff teams is brilliant coaching.  Come on man - act like you know football.

I think what's going to happen is during halftime of the 2nd round game, they're going to look at each other and know that they could have done it, and feel good about that, then decide to lose so they can win it next year with Wentz, instead of making him feel left out by winning it with Foles.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

The last time the Bills were in the playoffs, I was 11 years old (about to turn 12) and was in the 6th grade. I'll be 30 in less than two weeks. It's crazy to me when I think about it like that. 

i didn't have kids yet and my son is 16.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Bill Clinton was president.   He, two two-term presidents, and... whatever you call the last year have happened since they last made the playoffs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, DG_Now said:

It's both funny and adorable that Bills fans are donating to Andy Dalton's foundation. What a weird world.  And that was an amazing TD too.

It's so great the best moment of Bills football in the 21st century, so far, happened in a Ravens/Bengals game.

Oh my god, Bills fans, I'm so sorry you had to suffer through that last dopey possession and a 4th and 12. Andy Dalton throwing a perfect strike for a touchdown on a 4th and 12 from midfield was the least likely thing to happen and was the furthest thing from my mind. I was certain the Bengals had just choked a 2 touchdown lead and were going to crush the Bills' dreams (for the second time because we put you in this mess by beating you here this season). 

I spent all day yesterday watching these videos from the Bills lockerroom. 

https://twitter.com/BuffFanatics/status/947652565398966272

Every player's body language is ready for the bummer moment and then it just turns on a dime. Also, :censored: the Ravens. They're my second most hated team in the NFL and their missing the playoffs on a day when they had a 95% chance of making it is so funny. I'm really glad the Bengals could not suck enough to help the Bills and kill the Ravens. The outpouring of support for the Andy Dalton foundation and the Bills fans exuberance at just making the playoffs has been really incredible. You'll never get that from jaded Steelers or Patriots fans. They're too spoiled. 

13 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Like @BringBackTheVet said, you'd figure they could at least be one of those one-year wonders once in almost 20 years, but they somehow always managed to mess it up. Doesn't matter how it happened. It's still weird for me, also, to think that they're in the playoffs. I half expect to hear from the NFL tomorrow, "Upon further review..."

So what happens now? The playoff teams just like keep playing games or something? I'm a little rusty.

This was me in 2005 when the Bengals made the playoffs for the first time in my conscious life. I was a Senior in high school. I was like "wow I always knew in theory it was possible for the Bengals play an extra game, but I didn't think I'd ever see it in practice." I really didn't believe it until the opening kickoff. Hell, I was excited in 2003 just by being classified as "in the hunt". 

Then the Steelers shredded Carson Palmer's knee on the first possession and the universe went right back to being as terrible as it ever was. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

"Do you understand it is actually statistically harder to be this consistently bad than it is for them to occasionally accidentally be good?"

The Factory of Sadness video is six years old and things are decidedly worse now than when it came out. I've taken to rooting for the Browns. Their fans are nice people and I know what they're going through. I'd kill a Steelers fan for the Steelers to have one miserable 2-14, 3-13 season like the Browns have had so many of. It's their turn to suck. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

There was a local article today about Eagles veteran TE Brent Celek, and also how rare it is for the Eagles to get the #1 seed.

The article referenced how this is "only" the 4th time since 2002 that they've had overall #1 (2002, 2003, 2004, 2017) and how in 11 seasons, Celek has "only" been to the playoffs 5 times.  The point of the article was that you never know which time will be your last.

I was thinking how I'd feel reading that as a Bills fan.

2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The Factory of Sadness video is six years old and things are decidedly worse now than when it came out. I've taken to rooting for the Browns. Their fans are nice people and I know what they're going through. I'd kill a Steelers fan for the Steelers to have one miserable 2-14, 3-13 season like the Browns have had 8 out of the last 10 years. It's their turn to suck. 

Until they turn it around and start consistently winning, then all of a sudden those "nice people" will be chastised as being smug, arrogant, bandwagon, obnoxious, and whatever other stupid words are used around here (and outside of here) to describe Patriots fans and fans of other teams that are good, just because the teams are good.

Everybody loves losers and most people hate winners.  Fact is, they're both pretty much the same.

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

Until they turn it around and start consistently winning, then all of a sudden those "nice people" will be chastised as being smug, arrogant, bandwagon, obnoxious, and whatever other stupid words are used around here (and outside of here) to describe Patriots fans and fans of other teams that are good, just because the teams are good.

Everybody loves losers and most people hate winners.  Fact is, they're both pretty much the same.

I agree and I don't. Of course once the Browns get good they'll get annoying again, but hating Browns fans would be a refreshing change of pace from hating Steelers fans, which has gotten so stale and tiresome over the years. The key difference is that once the Browns get good they'll at least appreciate the good times more than, say, a 25 year old Steelers or Patriots fan who's only ever seen consistently competitive to great play from their favorite teams. Fanbases are all pretty much the same, but their experiences shape the way they behave.

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I agree and I don't. Of course once the Browns get good they'll get annoying again, but hating Browns fans would be a refreshing change of pace from hating Steelers fans, which has gotten so stale and tiresome over the years. The key difference is that once the Browns get good they'll at least appreciate the good times more than, say, a 25 year old Steelers or Patriots fan who's only ever seen consistently competitive to great play from their favorite teams. Fanbases are all pretty much the same, but their experiences shape the way they behave.

For like a year or two, while they still feel like it could just be a fluke.  If they were to get consistently good, it'd be the exact same thing.  I don't even need to know anything about Cleveland or their fans, and this isn't one of those "it's Cleveland, bro - you wouldn't understand the bond between this city and the team" type things.  It's the same everywhere in any part of the country with a passionate sports fanbase.

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

For like a year or two, while they still feel like it could just be a fluke.  If they were to get consistently good, it'd be the exact same thing.  I don't even need to know anything about Cleveland or their fans, and this isn't one of those "it's Cleveland, bro - you wouldn't understand the bond between this city and it's JUST SHUT UP YOURE [sic] AN IDIOT" type things.  It's the same everywhere in any part of the country with a passionate sports fanbase.

They've been so bad for so long that I don't think the gleam would wear off that quickly. How could it? Here in Cincinnati we were the Browns of the 90's and we still talk about how even though things haven't been great it's so much better than it used to be. It's not because Cleveland has like a better bond with their team or anything. Nobody's saying that. It's because what they've been through has been so sh*** there's no way they wouldn't appreciate success more than fans who've been handed consistent success without having to go through a long period of losing. That's psychology. You appreciate things more if you have to work harder for them. 

and I'm not wrong that it's the Patriots and Steelers fans turn to suck. Even just a year like the Packers had would be a healthy dose of humility for Pittsburgh fans. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I agree and I don't. Of course once the Browns get good they'll get annoying again, but hating Browns fans would be a refreshing change of pace from hating Steelers fans, which has gotten so stale and tiresome over the years.

If hating us is too stale, then stop hating. ;)

And as much as I hate New England, their fans, owner, and entire existence, I have to admit it'd make mr laugh if they were still competitive 25 years from now while the Browns and Lions are still soiling themselves. Sports is like life: it's unfair; the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

NSFCvyu.png

So how will the Raiders make a mockery of the Rooney Rule this year?  Will it go anything like this?

Mark Davis: Hi, Coach Dungy, this is Mark Davis, owner of the Oakland Raiders.  How are you doing?

Tony Dungy: I am fine Mr. Davis. 

Mark Davis: How are you with your life after coaching?

Tony Dungy: I am very happy not coaching again. 

Mark Davis: Okay just checking.  We're going to hire Jon Gruden.

Tony Dungy: He'll be a fine hire.

The NFL: The Raiders have adhered to the Rooney Rule, therefore they can bring back Jon Gruden.

Just read a crazy stat about the Vikings at home.  In the 8 games they've played at US Bank Stadium, the Vikings have given up only 9 touchdowns, and one of those was a punt return.  Of those 8 offensive drives that ending in touchdown, half began in Viking territory, only 4 were traditional, full field drives. Only Tampa Bay, of all teams, scored more than one TD.

If they can keep playing at home (which would include the Super Bowl, of course), I think they might have a shot.

21 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So how will the Raiders make a mockery of the Rooney Rule this year?  Will it go anything like this?

Mark Davis: Hi, Coach Dungy, this is Mark Davis, owner of the Oakland Raiders.  How are you doing?

Tony Dungy: I am fine Mr. Davis. 

Mark Davis: How are you with your life after coaching?

Tony Dungy: I am very happy not coaching again. 

Mark Davis: Okay just checking.  We're going to hire Jon Gruden.

Tony Dungy: He'll be a fine hire.

The NFL: The Raiders have adhered to the Rooney Rule, therefore they can bring back Jon Gruden.

You forgot to add the background chatter from PF Chang’s on Davis’ end. 

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Here’s a more recent one from the same guy...

I’ve never seen a team as hopeless as the Browns. The Leafs have a legendary Cup drought, but even they manage to turn it around and be competitive now and then. 

There’s just no hope for the Browns. Ever. 

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

“it's Cleveland, bro - you wouldn't understand the bond between this city and the team"

Oh G-d, that line. That actual Browns fans actually used on this forum. While they were terrible. 

Yeah I can see how a Browns turnaround would get annoying quickly. 

Archived