2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

3 hours ago, Pauly said:

Have the Rams ever hosted a playoff game at home under the lights?

It’s hard to tell, because the Wikipedia entries don’t have the time of playoff games listed for every one, but this might be the first one in their history. 

And I’ll be there in person to see it. Can’t wait. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/4/2018 at 12:30 AM, Tracy Jordan said:

The Dolphins, Bills and Jets have combined for a total of five playoff appearances and one division title* in the last 10 years. I wouldn't exactly call the AFC East a powerhouse division. The Steelers, Bengals and Ravens have each made the playoffs at least six times during that same span.

*- Tom Brady tore his ACL in 2008

Don't forget that the Jets only made the playoffs in 2009 because the Colts decided that they didn't want to go undefeated. They also blew the WC game against the Jets in 2010 because they allowed a good kickoff return after Peyton led a go-ahead drive late in the game.

Also, another thing that people don't talk about in this equation: The Bills, Dolphins, and Jets have combined to produce about 18 different HC's and over 40 different starting QB's since 2001. While the Pats have been a paragon of stability, these teams are the opposite. In addition, these three teams have been way below .500 against teams that finish the season with a winning record in that time span.

33 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

It’s hard to tell, because the Wikipedia entries don’t have the time of playoff games listed for every one, but this might be the first one in their history. 

And I’ll be there in person to see it. Can’t wait. 

The 1978 NFC Championship game (pkayed in '79) was in LA.

Matt, it was the late game.

Bad Luck Blue happened to win.

The Al Michaels not calling a LA game is a bigger deal.

All Raider games at the Coliseum were apparently under blackout, this Al never had called a game locally.

15 hours ago, Gary. said:

Mall I can think are the pretty patties from SpongeBob

. . . and your name is Gary.  Hmmmmm......

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

6 hours ago, dfwabel said:

The 1978 NFC Championship game (pkayed in '79) was in LA.

Matt, it was the late game.

Bad Luck Blue happened to win.

The Al Michaels not calling a LA game is a bigger deal.

All Raider games at the Coliseum were apparently under blackout, this Al never had called a game locally.

According to Wikipedia this game started at 5pm Eastern time.It's only been in the last few years there have been night games;either the 2nd wildcard game or the 2nd conference championship game which starts later and later it seems.

9 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Makes sense. Sith Lords and apprentices are always looking for a chance to kill each other. 

spacer.png

10 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Nothing really to see here, especially with the Brady/McDaniels exchange. Brady has always been a bit petulant when things don't go his way. They will be fine and they will win their 6th ring next month. Things will end when Brady retires. It's as simple as that.

If this was such a huge issue, I can guarantee that ESPN would not have been the first to crack the story; the local Boston media would have. Actually, in fact, they did a few weeks ago!

This is nothing new. ESPN seems to be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Belichick/Brady/Kraft have been working together for roughly 18 years. To expect some disagreements over things every now and then is to be expected. Considering this has happened now and not 10+ years ago already points towards the strength of the Belichick/Brady/Kraft relationship.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The most revealing thing about that isn't the Rift That Will Finally Doom the New England Patriots. That's not happening and this article has most likely angered Bellichick and Brady and they'll win a sixth Super Bowl in more convincing fashion than anyone's ever won before. Way to go, dude. No, the most revealing thing about this is that Tom Brady has become like other uber-wealthy, out-of-touch, ultra famous people in that he's now this holistic junk medicine practicing weirdo who believes he's transcended aging. He's Gwyneth Paltrow if she was a star NFL quarterback. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Brass said:

If this was such a huge issue, I can guarantee that ESPN would not have been the first to crack the story; the local Boston media would have. Actually, in fact, they did a few weeks ago!

This is nothing new. ESPN seems to be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Belichick/Brady/Kraft have been working together for roughly 18 years. To expect some disagreements over things every now and then is to be expected. Considering this has happened now and not 10+ years ago already points towards the strength of the Belichick/Brady/Kraft relationship.

It really seems like they just need to drum up interest in the games so they're grasping at straws to make a story out of nothing.  There's never 100% happiness on any team, or in any workspace in any industry.  Like anything, there's probably a sliver of truth in it, but then they take it and use words like "FURIOUS!!!" and try to create something bigger than it is.  

Belichick probably was reluctant to trade Garrapolo, and probably did have plans for him to take over and was therefore upset about the situation, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who bends over and says "yes sir, whatever you want sir", so it wouldn't have happened without him being on board, even if not necessarily 100%.

It's probably like this in every similar situation, and it's a non-story, and Brady / Belichick are probably hearing all of this and are like "WTF?"

ESPN is in the business of creating "news".  I'm not saying that to criticize them, but let's face it - the network is based on broadcasting sports, and drumming up interest in said sports, by any means necessary.  It's not real life, so there's really no ramification or consequence to just create a story out of nothing, and that's likely what's going on here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Looks like the Raiders are back (to incompetence) baby!

Mark Davis heading to work tomorrow like:

e94be855f3c2bd28eb03bef0cb230519.jpeg

This reeks of sweat, and desperation. Mark Davis would probably have sold his soul to get Chucky to coach Oakland again.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

I don't get this.  Is he really considered a great coach?  I get that he won a SB, but so have a lot of coaches.  Barry freaking Switzer won a SB.

His record isn't that great, he only made it to one SB, and he was never known as an innovator or anything like that, yet every year he's the most sought-after candidate for many of the open jobs.  Hell - everyone here wanted the Eagles to bring him back in '13 and last year.

10 years is F CKING INSANE.  ABSOLUTELY GODSDAMNED INSANE.  There's no way he'll actually coach that long, but once he's sick of it in 2 years, he'll just get himself canned so he can collect the rest of the money.  My gods this is nuts, even by Raiders standards.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

26 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

He won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's team because he got to coach against his old team, which didn't bother changing its playbook and terminology, to the point that his new team knew what was coming the whole time. Then he went 8-8 for a while.

Fixed your post.

Washington Post --

Bucs safety John Lynch, who wore a microphone during the game, said to his teammates at one point midway through the game, "Every play they've run, we ran in practice. It's unreal."

I guess that Raiders assume they will be printing money in Las Vegas.  Even then, this is a ridiculous contract.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

At least it's not an ownership stake.  I could not believe that was even being mentioned.  

Does he really have that much better of a resume than Brian Billick?  Both successful OCs that won SBs as head coach without dynamic offenses.

He's Brian Billick but more likeable, has a better agent, and more of a marketable look.

Here he is with Randall Cunningham during Ray Rhodes' first season.  Sweet headband.

BtexqvHCYAArcqf.jpg:large

Archived