Recommended Posts

Bucfan56    3,692

I wonder if Boston fans ever thought that their national perception, ESPECIALLY when it comes to baseball, would be seen as even more insufferable than New York. I guess it's the whole case of die early or live to become what you despise. 

 

 

Either way, New York does literally EVERYTHING better than Boston. Even when it comes to being sports smug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brass    1,605

Wow, that game wasn't fun from a Patriots fans perspective. The Kansas City Chiefs are a great team and they always usually play the Patriots really tough. They earned a win. Patriots disappointed me greatly. My only hope is that they recover from this Chiefs lost like they did the last one. My dad and I noticed that the Patriots sideline seemed and remained "flat" for most of the game; lacked a certain energy which is usually what a guy like Julian Edelman brought.

 

Also, it sort of serves the Patriots fans right a bit. Not all, but the ones who brought and flew those stupid Roger Goddell towels. Yes, it was funny when Matt Patricia wore that shirt the one time. Yes, none of us are really fans of Roger Goddell because of the Brady situation, but we won the goddamned Super Bowl for Christ's sake!! I'd say the Revenge Tour is over by a few hundred miles. Stop it. Let's move past the Roger Goddell hate and just root this team onto great year. The team proved their point in February. Time to move on.

 

:censored: Barstool Sports.

 

PS: I'll take a pass on wearing a poop hat, @McCarthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the admiral    10,240
4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

his sport won't be fun again until the patriots truly suck again and by then football might not exist anymore.

 

Football must have been such a happy, magical place when the New England Patriots were an afterthought of Boston sports, playing in a Texas high school stadium off a two-lane highway where the owner was living in the press box because he went bankrupt promoting failed Michael Jackson concerts or something.

 

48 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

I wonder if Boston fans ever thought that their national perception, ESPECIALLY when it comes to baseball, would be seen as even more insufferable than New York. I guess it's the whole case of die early or live to become what you despise.

Boston reminds me of Chicago if someone said "I like the crappy weather, New York inferiority complex, and systemic racism, but the roads make too much sense, the people are too polite, and the food is too good."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still MIGHTY    1,866

Look. At. These. People.

 

DJLDkR1UQAE5OwK.jpg

DJLDkRxUMAA6QoT.jpg

DJLDkR1UwAEeSKn.jpg

 

These are fans of five-time Super Bowl winners, the reigning Super Bowl champions, owners of the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history, the first overtime win in Super Bowl history on the night of them celebrating that fifth Super Bowl and unveiling their banner. They're all pouty booboo face because those five-time, reigning, comebacking Super Bowl champions are down by ONE POINT in the fourth quarter of their home opener, their celebration of that Super Bowl.

 

THE HORROR.

 

Come the :censored: on.

 

Also, friendly reminder that the Patriots are currently in sole possession of last place in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TrueYankee26    106
1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Look. At. These. People.

 

DJLDkR1UQAE5OwK.jpg

DJLDkRxUMAA6QoT.jpg

DJLDkR1UwAEeSKn.jpg

 

These are fans of five-time Super Bowl winners, the reigning Super Bowl champions, owners of the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history, the first overtime win in Super Bowl history on the night of them celebrating that fifth Super Bowl and unveiling their banner. They're all pouty booboo face because those five-time, reigning, comebacking Super Bowl champions are down by ONE POINT in the fourth quarter of their home opener, their celebration of that Super Bowl.

 

THE HORROR.

 

Come the :censored: on.

 

Also, friendly reminder that the Patriots are currently in sole possession of last place in the NFL.

Oh my lord they look like Roger Goodell put on a Yankees jersey over a Peyton Manning t-shirt, Jets hat, Lakers sneakers with Ravens socks, and Canadiens shorts, robbed their houses, killed their cat and stole their pensions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BringBackTheVet    4,173

You guys are insane.  Because a team won the SB a few times their fans aren't allowed to look disappointed during a game?  Jesus christ grow up.  Just because a team has 5 SBs doesn't change anything on a game-by-game basis.  What should they be doing - watching SB replays on their ipads during the game?

 

"I wouldn't complain if they were 0-16 for 5 straight years if my team won 5 SBs" - bull :censored:.  Total bull :censored:.  It's easy to say, but every season is different and becomes its own thing, and you'll be just as frustrated with 7-9 as a Steelers fan would be.

 

What I learned from growing up a Phillies fan is that championships are really just moments in time.  They're really fun to look back at, but they rub off quickly and then the reality of life sets back in.  If the purpose of pro sports is to provide entertainment, and maybe an "escape" from the realities of life, then go all in with it and be upset if your team makes a mistake.   The party you were at when they won the SB was 7 mos ago, and this is a whole new thing.

 

I'm no Boston sports fan, and I'm certainly not a New York sports fan.  But fans are pretty much the same everywhere where pro sports is so ingrained in the culture.  Combine the east coast "roughness" with sports fandom and you get jackasses.  It's just that you happen to see Boston and New York the most because of the size of the markets and the strength of the teams.  You're probably just as big a dick* as the average Yankee fan, your team just sucks.

 

 

*with respect to sports, not personally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the admiral    10,240

DJLDkRxUMAA6QoT.jpg

 

Looks like they photoshopped that guy's face on top of the picture, then photoshopped the hat on top of his head. Is he a tulpa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TrueYankee26    106
2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You guys are insane.  Because a team won the SB a few times their fans aren't allowed to look disappointed during a game?  Jesus christ grow up.  Just because a team has 5 SBs doesn't change anything on a game-by-game basis.  What should they be doing - watching SB replays on their ipads during the game?

 

"I wouldn't complain if they were 0-16 for 5 straight years if my team won 5 SBs" - bull :censored:.  Total bull :censored:.  It's easy to say, but every season is different and becomes its own thing, and you'll be just as frustrated with 7-9 as a Steelers fan would be.

 

What I learned from growing up a Phillies fan is that championships are really just moments in time.  They're really fun to look back at, but they rub off quickly and then the reality of life sets back in.  If the purpose of pro sports is to provide entertainment, and maybe an "escape" from the realities of life, then go all in with it and be upset if your team makes a mistake.   The party you were at when they won the SB was 7 mos ago, and this is a whole new thing.

 

I'm no Boston sports fan, and I'm certainly not a New York sports fan.  But fans are pretty much the same everywhere where pro sports is so ingrained in the culture.  Combine the east coast "roughness" with sports fandom and you get jackasses.  It's just that you happen to see Boston and New York the most because of the size of the markets and the strength of the teams.  You're probably just as big a dick as the average Yankee fan, your team just sucks.

I am a Jets fan. I would love it for my favorite team to win 1 super bowl in my lifetime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackBolt3    1,123

The curious case of CJ Spiller, a man who has been cut and resigned three times within the past two weeks:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HedleyLamarr    1,311
50 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You guys are insane.  Because a team won the SB a few times their fans aren't allowed to look disappointed during a game?  Jesus christ grow up.  Just because a team has 5 SBs doesn't change anything on a game-by-game basis.  What should they be doing - watching SB replays on their ipads during the game?

Yeah, I can't fault the fans for being concerned-to-shocked-to-sad at how the game went.  It went from party atmosphere to dead.  It was supposed to be an all-night celebration.

 

Again, it was just one game, but Brady looked like a guy that, well, is 40 years old in a young man's game.  And the defense gave up a 40-burger to a Chiefs team that's not known for piling up the points.  If I were a fan of the team, I'd have one of those looks, too.  They should be alright with the division, but they do have 7 more games with teams against what may be the two deepest divisions in the league (AFC West and NFC South).

 

And, for what it's worth, our interactions with the Patriots fans down in Houston were more pleasant and friendly than I had expected.  They weren't all that cocky before the game, and there wasn't much rubbing it in after the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brass    1,605
2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

And, for what it's worth, our interactions with the Patriots fans down in Houston were more pleasant and friendly than I had expected.  They weren't all that cocky before the game, and there wasn't much rubbing it in after the game.

 

I find this to be the case with all sports fans. I was at Yankee Stadium in 2009, bleacher seats no less, for a game that lasted 19 innings. At the end of the game (an A-Rod walkoff; the one thing I was hoping would not end the game) I shared a few laughs with the "Bleacher Creatures." Amazing people and loved the interaction I had with them down there. I actually really want to go back and see another game there. Honestly, off the top of my head, I can only think of one person that I know who is an insufferable ass when it comes to sports. He's a New York Jets fan that posts more stuff hating on the Patriots than he does cheering on his own team. It's a bit confusing, to be honest. Last night, he was nonstop retweeting a Kansas City Chiefs fan page that was poking fun at the Pats. I mean, fair game to him, but I rarely see him retweet positive news about his own team.

 

Unfortunately, you don't hear many stories about well-behaved and mild-mannered fans. It just doesn't really happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McCarthy    6,620
2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You guys are insane.  Because a team won the SB a few times their fans aren't allowed to look disappointed during a game?

 


No you're not allowed to look disappointed. At least not that pouty. You don't get to experience the level of success they've had and complain about your team when you've literally had it better than everyone else. Not unless you want people to call you out on it. What's hard about that?  

 

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 Jesus christ grow up.  Just because a team has 5 SBs doesn't change anything on a game-by-game basis. 

 

 

You grow up. And yeah it does change things on a game by game basis. You lose, you have a modicum of perspective, shrug and go "oh we lost one game but doesn't change the fact that most of the time we win. Like when we won the best Super Bowl ever only like 6 months ago. That was cool. At least we're not the Lions. Or the Browns. Or the Chiefs even. They haven't won anything since goddamn Nixon. Ugh could you imagine?".

 

Losing is absolutely easier to stomach for the fans of recently successful teams.

 

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

 

"I wouldn't complain if they were 0-16 for 5 straight years if my team won 5 SBs" - bull :censored:.  Total bull :censored:.  It's easy to say, but every season is different and becomes its own thing, and you'll be just as frustrated with 7-9 as a Steelers fan would be.

 

 

You don't know how I would feel. My one taste of sports fan success was OSU football and I really could not bring myself to care what happened the season after they won it all in both cases. The clock reset and it meant I didn't have to worry about it for a while. My teams do suck so I covet our few championships, understand I have nothing to do with it, understand it doesn't happen often, and understand it could be worse. 

 

My other brush with this was when I lived in Seattle when they lost the Super Bowl to New England. People were bummed out the next day, but they had the one from the previous year to fall back on and they all pretty much said that to me. It would've been 5 times more crushing a loss had they not recently won it all.

 

What would happen if my team won the Super Bowl is I would probably just stop watching this sport. I definitely would not spend waking moments angry and second guessing the guy who pulled it off for me. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ozzyman314    36
38 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You'll look back in 5 years and realize how silly that all sounds. 

It really is ridiculous.

"your team just won a championship so you can't complain about anything at all" is such a load of :censored:. Who cares what happened last year, what matters is what's going on right now.  

Once you finally get that taste, that experience of your team winning it all, you're never satisfied with just that, you always want more. If you actually say you're content with the 1 championship, you're just lying to yourself. 

 

Likewise, if you're a fan of teams that have enjoyed consistent success (Patriots, GSW, Blackhawks, SF Giants) you'd know that losing becomes an even tougher pill to swallow. You become so accustomed to their success that you begin to just expect it naturally. Which is why it's such a shock & bitter pill when it doesn't happen. 

When you're a Lions, Chiefs, or Browns fan, you've never experienced that kind of consistent success so you don't give a :censored: when they lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DG_Now    3,884
31 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

It really is ridiculous.

"your team just won a championship so you can't complain about anything at all" is such a load of :censored:. Who cares what happened last year, what matters is what's going on right now.  

Once you finally get that taste, that experience of your team winning it all, you're never satisfied with just that, you always want more. If you actually say you're content with the 1 championship, you're just lying to yourself. 

 

Likewise, if you're a fan of teams that have enjoyed consistent success (Patriots, GSW, Blackhawks, SF Giants) you'd know that losing becomes an even tougher pill to swallow. You become so accustomed to their success that you begin to just expect it naturally. Which is why it's such a shock & bitter pill when it doesn't happen. 

When you're a Lions, Chiefs, or Browns fan, you've never experienced that kind of consistent success so you don't give a :censored: when they lose.

 

This is a bad take. You're not on the team, pal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kaz    665

I didn't see the last quarter or so of the game because I was jet-lagged AF from a crappy trans-pacific flight courtesy of United.  Good thing too; had I stayed up I probably would have been in direct violation of McCarthy's Official Guidelines For Sports Viewing Reactions

 

10 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Either way, New York does literally EVERYTHING better than Boston. Even when it comes to being sports smug.

Well, certainly not professional basketball :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockstar Matt    587
3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You'll look back in 5 years and realize how silly that all sounds. 

 

To be fair, to even have a vested interest in a team(s) that you (metaphoric you, not literally you) don't work/play for is very silly. Being a sports fan is very silly and to non sports fans, we all seem foolish. 

 

 

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Losing is absolutely easier to stomach for the fans of recently successful teams.

 

To the bold: I can confirm that as a fan of a team who has won 5 championships in my lifetime (the Lakers), losing is much easier to stomach. Of course it still sucks to see, but it's more of a more "oh, that sucks" reaction versus the week long (or months long if it's a playoff loss to effing Aaron Rodgers, again) visceral, pit-in-my-stomach reaction I have when the Cowboys lose.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bucfan56    3,692
7 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

It really is ridiculous.

"your team just won a championship so you can't complain about anything at all" is such a load of :censored:. Who cares what happened last year, what matters is what's going on right now.  

Once you finally get that taste, that experience of your team winning it all, you're never satisfied with just that, you always want more. If you actually say you're content with the 1 championship, you're just lying to yourself. 

 

Likewise, if you're a fan of teams that have enjoyed consistent success (Patriots, GSW, Blackhawks, SF Giants) you'd know that losing becomes an even tougher pill to swallow. You become so accustomed to their success that you begin to just expect it naturally. Which is why it's such a shock & bitter pill when it doesn't happen. 

When you're a Lions, Chiefs, or Browns fan, you've never experienced that kind of consistent success so you don't give a :censored: when they lose.

 

Lol, no. This isn't even remotely correct. I'm a Giants fan and when they lost to the Cubs last year I basically said, WELP, that's sports for ya. We won 3 in 5 and now it's just our turn to not win again. This season the Giants are suffering from one of the worst if not probably their very worst season in franchise history and I really couldn't care any less. 

 

Honestly? Winning a lot, for most people, just kinda puts it all into perspective. It's like, yay, they won! Now what? How does this positively impact my life? All it's doing is tempting me to spend more money I probably shouldn't be spending on championship crap. This is kinda silly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McCarthy    6,620
8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You'll look back in 5 years and realize how silly that all sounds. 

 

I'm arguing for perspective, for keeping a level head, for understanding how sports work, knowing that demanding a championship every year is stupid, and based on my own experience how I've felt about past championships. I'm confident I won't find it silly at all. 

 

7 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

It really is ridiculous.

"your team just won a championship so you can't complain about anything at all" is such a load of :censored:.

 

 

Go ahead and keep complaining about your incredibly successful team. You won't look like a spoiled rich kid that didn't get his preferred color car for his 16th birthday.

 

That's what you sound like. Maybe that's you, though. It wouldn't be me. 

 

 

Quote

Once you finally get that taste, that experience of your team winning it all, you're never satisfied with just that, you always want more. If you actually say you're content with the 1 championship, you're just lying to yourself. 

 

No im not. You've had 5, plus two other super bowl appearances, plus like 7 straight afc championship games. I'd be satisfied with that and I'd understand how I'd come across to fans with less so I'd keep my mouth shut.

 

Quote

Likewise, if you're a fan of teams that have enjoyed consistent success (Patriots, GSW, Blackhawks, SF Giants) you'd know that losing becomes an even tougher pill to swallow. You become so accustomed to their success that you begin to just expect it naturally. Which is why it's such a shock & bitter pill when it doesn't happen. 

When you're a Lions, Chiefs, or Browns fan, you've never experienced that kind of consistent success so you don't give a :censored: when they lose.

 

This is completely wrong. Between Atlanta and NE Who was going to take last year's super bowl loss harder? It wasn't the team with four already in the bank. 

 

I can guarantee Browns fans care more when they lose. The difference is they expect it. I can also guarantee that if the browns ever do win it all their fans will be more appreciative of it than pats fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now