2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

43 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

ESPN provided this comedic gold vis-a-vis the ill advised move of not one but two NFL teams to LA...

I still maintain the move from St. Louis was completely justified. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Yeah, it almost looks like they made an artificial sun. It one section of the lights was substantially brighter than the others, giving that one shadow look that just plain looks weird indoors.

I remember it looked so bright when I saw the Falcons preseason games on television, then it didn't seem as bright last Wednesday night for the soccer game.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I still maintain the move from St. Louis was completely justified. 

It had more justification than the Dolts' move from San Diego I'll give you that. But it's not like they were doing any worse at the gate in St. Louis than they are now in LA.

37 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

It had more justification than the Dolts' move from San Diego I'll give you that. But it's not like they were doing any worse at the gate in St. Louis than they are now in LA.

No, but LA has more upside than StL. Not to mention the stadium situation. Kroenke's LA stadium is self-financed. Whereas the plan to keep them in StL involved public investment. Investment they likely couldn't recoup in the foreseeable future.   

So that alone makes the move back to LA worthwhile. 

15 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

Didn't St. Louis eventually offer to build a new stadium and Rams still moved to LA? 

Yes. I'm glad the Rams turned it down. Cities paying to build stadiums for billionaires is disgusting. I'm happy the Rams chose to pay for their own stadium in LA rather than take money from StL that StL didn't have. 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't recall San Diego having an offer on the table for a new stadium. 

SD had been negotiating in good faith with Spanos for the past decade. That a deal wasn't reached was entirely on Dean Spanos being a stubborn idiot. The city wasn't at fault. 

21 hours ago, DG_Now said:

That's a great idea. The world loves Roundball Rock and it's never not been appreciated and enjoyed.

The Flyers had a roundball rockish song for their opening back in the day.  Doesn't seem nearly as polished as a Tesh song but still made for a good hockey opening.  Bonus young Mike Emerick.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A bit OT...but Vince Young was blackballed thanks to Jeff Fisher, and no one cares.  Tarvaris Jackson is out of the league, and nobody gives a :censored: .  Mark Sanchez is barely hanging on, yet there are no Mexican-American activists demanding the NFL somehow conjure up more Chicano QBs out of thin air or that he be gifted a starting spot somewhere.  RG3 is out of the league, yet there is no activist group demanding he be given a roster spot whether he's wanted or not.  My racial group's lionizing of protest (whether it makes any sense or not...and a bit more OT, those Confederate statue protests made absolutely no sense to me...oh waaaah, mommy the Stonewall Jackson statue's looking at me funny, I wanna tear it down :( ) is the only reason anyone thinks Kaep being on the outside looking in is somehow more wrong than RG3 not being on a roster.  I'm pretty sure the fact that LA didn't want the Bolts in the first place, or them being owned by a man lacking in common sense are bigger factors in the Chargers being unable to fill the Galaxy's stadium than their lacking a man dumb enough to wear a tee depicting Fidel Castro...in a city filled with people who despise Castro.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Flyers had a roundball rockish song for their opening back in the day.  Doesn't seem nearly as polished as a Tesh song but still made for a good hockey opening.  Bonus young Mike Emerick.

Wow it's been over 20 years since I had heard that song and it feels like I just heard it yesterday. A little side note...was the Flyers and Phillies coverage on Channel 17 always cutting into the Real Stories of the Highway Patrol?

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

RG3 has had a lot of injuries, the league is just straight-up colluding against Kaepernick.

Tell me again why Seattle didn't sign him?

The fact is Kaep has far more risk playing than not playing.  He went out on top.  Why would he want to play in a bad situation and make people realize he's really not that good again?  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

44 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Tell me again why Seattle didn't sign him?

The fact is Kaep has far more risk playing than not playing.  He went out on top.  Why would he want to play in a bad situation and make people realize he's really not that good again?  

Kaepernick went out on top?  Is that what you're saying?  I'm not seeing that.  He was 1-10 as a starter in his final season.

It's where I sit.

19 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

Didn't St. Louis eventually offer to build a new stadium and Rams still moved to LA? 

I don't recall San Diego having an offer on the table for a new stadium. 

Because it's not a city's job to build a billionaire a stadium. That's standard procedure in California.

Spanos knows that, and he clearly had the money to build one in San Diego on his dime... as he's spending over a billion to move to LA.

33 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Kaepernick went out on top?  Is that what you're saying?  I'm not seeing that.  He was 1-10 as a starter in his final season.

He had decent stats for a 1-11 starter though.  That's part of the argument for him being in the league..."but his stats were good even on a bad team!"  So while the team sucked, he did well enough that there's a lot of risk in playing again.

The trick with Kaep is that he likely has a list of teams/cities that he wants to play for, but he also has to get a contract that will pay him more than any offers off the field.  So far nothing has lined up.

While his supporters think the NFL should hire him, there's no reason he needs to be in the NFL.

9 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

He had decent stats for a 1-11 starter though.  That's part of the argument for him being in the league..."but his stats were good even on a bad team!"  So while the team sucked, he did well enough that there's a lot of risk in playing again.

'Decent stats' is far from 'went out on top'.

For grins, he was ranked 17th of 30 qualifiers in Passer Rating.  30th in wins. 6th best among interception percentage.  26th in completion percentage. 30th in yards per game. 13th in TD percentage.

I limited this just to qualifiers, and tried to only look at equalized stats (i.e., per game or ratings of one sort or another), as he played fewer games and would therefore have lesser total numbers.  I don't see these as being 'decent'.

It's where I sit.

11 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

'Decent stats' is far from 'went out on top'.

For grins, he was ranked 17th of 30 qualifiers in Passer Rating.  30th in wins. 6th best among interception percentage.  26th in completion percentage. 30th in yards per game. 13th in TD percentage.

I limited this just to qualifiers, and tried to only look at equalized stats (i.e., per game or ratings of one sort or another), as he played fewer games and would therefore have lesser total numbers.  I don't see these as being 'decent'.

His overall, regular passer rating (not the ESPN QBR) was 90.7 which is pretty good and third-highest of his career.  17th out of 30 means you're a serviceable NFL starter.  If he were to play again on a team (probably a team with lesser talent since all the "good" teams have starting QBs in place) and not fare as well, then the "Well, his talent declined" would drown out the "he got blackballed" talk, and his relevance would disappear.  Thus, being out of football and having his supporters champion his 2016 stats is a far safer option for him.

22 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

. . .  being out of football and having his supporters champion his 2016 stats is a far safer option for him.

. . . except for that whole "not getting paid" thing . . . 

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived