2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

I think the reason teams are avoiding Kap like the plague is....well because he is. Specifically he's carry that plague called the "media circus" which absolutely no team wants to put up with. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone hammers the good stats Kap had (because obviously they want him signed) and conveniently sweep the horrible stats, and the horrible games under the rug like they never happened.

I'm sorry, but a game where he only completed 3 passes and was picked off 4 times and was BENCHED, HAPPENED. You can't just come out and say, "That game? That never happened."

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Everyone hammers the good stats Kap had (because obviously they want him signed) and conveniently sweep the horrible stats, and the horrible games under the rug like they never happened.

I'm sorry, but a game where he only completed 3 passes and was picked off 4 times and was BENCHED, HAPPENED. You can't just come out and say, "That game? That never happened."

I think I found the game you're looking for - this one, I'm going to assume - and I feel I have to point out a few things:
-This game was against the Cardinals on November 29, 2015 - almost 2 years ago, even before the anthem protests started I might add;
-He actually completed 9 passes, not 3, out of 19 attempts;
-He wasn't benched in that game;
-He actually still scored the 49ers only touchdown in that blowout, a 12-yard run;
-That game was the only time he ever threw 4 picks in a game in his career;
-He played in 7 other games that year, splitting the season fairly evenly with Blaine Gabbert, and only threw one other pick all season, against the Packers. Looking at his stats in other games I feel confident in calling the game you cited the worst start of his career - an outlier, hardly something to judge a dude's entire career off of, in my opinion at least.

Unless there's something I'm missing, I think it's safe to say that the game you described as you described it, unless it was a preseason game, actually didn't happen.

---

Anyways, looking at his stats last season, I see Kaepernick as a mediocre quarterback who was stuck on a terrible team - despite a 2-14 team record (and a 1-10 personal record) he managed to complete 59% of his passes (196/331), with 16 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions; one against the Dolphins, Saints, Rams and Buccaneers each. In fact, he hasn't thrown multiple picks in a game since that 4-pick game against the Cardinals. His QB rating was 90.7, which put him 17 in the league - just underneath the middle-of-the-pack. (Right between Alex Smith (91.2) and Tyrod Taylor (89.7), for the curious.) 

If you ask me he probably opted out of his contract 'cause he figured, perhaps naively, that some other team without a QB would be willing to ignore the media baggage and take a chance on him. Clearly, for better or worse, he was wrong.

Kaepernick isn't good enough to overcome his baggage (deserved or not). It's really that simple. Without the baggage he'd definitely be somewhere, but I find it hard to imagine anybody would be desperately clamoring to pick him up for a Super Bowl campaign or something. 

5 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Kaepernick isn't good enough to overcome his baggage (deserved or not). It's really that simple. Without the baggage he'd definitely be somewhere, but I find it hard to imagine anybody would be desperately clamoring to pick him up for a Super Bowl campaign or something. 

The Eagles went out and signed Michael Vick, a guy who had been out of football for two years while serving a prison sentence, to be their third string quarterback in 2009. I would argue that Kaepernick has been a far better QB in his career up to this point than Vick was when the Eagles signed him. And yet, Kaepernick can't even get the same opportunity a convicted dog murderer was given. Maybe that's a poor comparison for me to make, but I think it's B.S. to believe Kaepernick's so-called "baggage" outweighs his talent. You can't tell me that Kaepernick wouldn't be a better signing for a team like the Titans than Brandon freakin' Weeden. 

5 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

The Eagles went out and signed Michael Vick, a guy who had been out of football for two years while serving a prison sentence, to be their third string quarterback in 2009. I would argue that Kaepernick has been a far better QB in his career up to this point than Vick was when the Eagles signed him. And yet, Kaepernick can't even get the same opportunity a convicted dog murderer was given. Maybe that's a poor comparison for me to make, but I think it's B.S. to believe Kaepernick's so-called "baggage" outweighs his talent. You can't tell me that Kaepernick wouldn't be a better signing for a team like the Titans than Brandon freakin' Weeden. 

If Kaepernick had only punched a lady (and it wasn't on tape), he'd be in the league. People are weird about their flags and anthems.

15 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Yet Brandon Weeden literally doesn't have any good stats. He's only won six career games. Six. 

Weeden's whole career average has basically been that of a bad game from Kap. 

The fact is that until Kap, there has never been this good of a quarterback, statistically speaking, who's still in his athletic prime, who's still in his 20's, who didn't have a career ending injury (or drug/legal problem) and not been signed by some NFL team the following season after being released. 

And furthermore, you cannot convince me that outstanding quarterbacks such as Josh McCown, Ryan Fitzpatrick or Mike Glennon are better players than Kap. Yet, they all either had starting jobs or backup jobs in the NFL despite being god awful the last few seasons. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

11 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Actually, he was given the same opportunity to sign with a team as Vick, in this case the Ravens, but Kaepernick's stupid girlfriend had to go and tweet a racist comment about NFL owners and the Ravens backed away from the "circus" that they saw coming down the street. 

Say what you want about his stats, or why you think Kaepernick is not suiting up on Sunday. The facts are that Kaepernick put himself in this situation with the decisions HE made.

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

He's a truly awful person for bringing light to racial injustice. He should've raped multiple women behind a guarded door instead. Then he'd still have a job. 

Watch out! I see the Yinzers coming toward you with pitchforks!

Man that Patriots defense is still such a garbage fire. 

Granted they were a bit better today, but this win for the Patriots was more due to Tampa choking on their own :censored: (and a kicker that couldn't beat beat a paraplegic). 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

Archived