2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Should an Eagles fan be happy that he's now on their team?  Keep in mind the Eagles CBs blow more than the whore at the end of my street.

How upset are you that Jordan Matthews is off the team? I'd say Darby was very up and down in his two years; it depends on which Darby you get.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Cosmic said:

How upset are you that Jordan Matthews is off the team? I'd say Darby was very up and down in his two years; it depends on which Darby you get.

Not at all upset.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Sounds like a win... although that makes me a little upset. :(

Don't get me wrong - he's not bad. Just not a #1 or a #2 on a good team. His stats indicate otherwise, but I found him to be disappointing considering his draft position and what the scouts and Chip Kelly said. He always seemed to have a drop in big situation or just come up small when needed most.  He played the slot and couldn't really move outside even when the opportunity arose. 

Since the Eagles acquired WRs in the offseason and drafted a few with high upside, they definitely were not going to resign him, so they jumped at the opportunity to move him(though I'm disappointed they had to give up a #3 as well) to fill their biggest need. 

If he had stuck around I wouldn't have minded, but I don't care that he's gone. Like I said, he's not bad - probably slightly above average - but all in all, just a guy. 

That the bills got back those picks in those deals makes me think that they did really well, as did the eagles for filling their biggest hole by moving someone they would have let go anyway. They essentially only traded a #3 for this guy. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 08/11/2017 at 9:53 AM, Brass said:

The Bills have traded WR Sammy Watkins & a 2018 6th round pick to the Rams for CB E.J. Gaines and a 2018 second round pick.

Has there ever been a Clemson WR actually worth a damn in the NFL?

Mike Williams (2017) is hurt in SD.

Watkims was the 3rd failed drafting of a Clemson WR.

Dwight Clark? Made "The Catch" and was a 2-time All Pro in his first four years, but not much after 1983.

Perry Tuttle (19th overall in 1982)? Dick Vermeil wanted him, but BUF picked him first. Eagles took Mike Quick instead. Buffalo's #2 failed Clemson WR experiment. Tuttle played in 24 games.

Rod Gardner(WAS #15 overall in 2001)? Yea.

Jerry Butler (#5 overall in 1979): 29 TDs in seven seasons, four were in one game against NYJ ...Buffalo's first failed Clemson WR experiment

This Rams/Cowboys game is so close to looking really good. My favorite guys look great, and my hometown guys...have gold accents for some reason.

Do the Rams even know what color their logo is? Some of the coaches still have the gold and navy one on their gear.

18 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I just learned that Byron Leftwich is the Quarterbacks Coach for Arizona.  That's interesting.

"Hey Carson, when you get to the red zone, here's how you chuck the ball 20 rows up into the stands!"

Byron is calling plays tonight too.

21 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Yeah, I'm listening to the Raiders' radio coverage.

Man, the days when Leftwich and Joey Harrington were once the Falcons' QB tandem....

You're listening to radio?

I'm sorry you have to hear Greg Papa and Lincoln Kennedy on the sideline.

10 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

You're listening to radio?

I'm sorry you have to hear Greg Papa and Lincoln Kennedy on the sideline.

I like them.  Papa has that old-time feel (as does a lot of things the Raiders do).  It's a good listen.

Other than the Raiders, the team radio broadcasts I try to listen to are the Falcons (duh), Titans, Chargers, and Panthers.  Sometimes the Bucs.

Having XM allows me to hear any team's broadcast.  Between those and Howard Stern, I'm happy to give them money monthly.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I like them.  Papa has that old-time feel (as does a lot of things the Raiders do).  It's a good listen.

Other than the Raiders, the team radio broadcasts I try to listen to are the Falcons (duh), Titans, Chargers, and Panthers.  Sometimes the Bucs.

Having XM allows me to hear any team's broadcast.  Between those and Howard Stern, I'm happy to give them money monthly.

Greg Papa is awful. Wes Durham is mediocre.

Good/Great NFL radio guys are:

Gene Deckerhoff (Buccaneers)

Mike Heath (Titans)

Brad Sham (Cowboys)

Dave Pasch (Cardinals)

Wayne Larivvee (Packers)

Merrill Reece (Eagles)

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Watkins was the 3rd failed drafting of a Clemson WR.

Tough to say he was a fail. When he's on the field, he is a good WR. That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he misses half the season with an injury. He could be one of "those" guys, or he could have just had bad luck early in his career. He's not been bad enough that you should call him at "fail" at 24.

16 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Pasch' partner Ron Wolfley seems pretty weird/unique. Of course Dave is used to that calling college basketball with a certain guy.

Wolfkey is overly deep voice just to be deep voice and he stinks.

But Jim Brandstatter is the worst NFL radio color guy

10 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Tough to say he was a fail. When he's on the field, he is a good WR. That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he misses half the season with an injury. He could be one of "those" guys, or he could have just had bad luck early in his career. He's not been bad enough that you should call him at "fail" at 24.

So what about Tuttle and Butler.

4 hours ago, dfwabel said:

So what about Tuttle and Butler.

I guess? Both of those guys were drafted before I was born. Might as well be asking about Otto Graham.

8 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Greg Papa is awful. Wes Durham is mediocre.

Good/Great NFL radio guys are:

Gene Deckerhoff (Buccaneers)

Mike Heath (Titans)

Brad Sham (Cowboys)

Dave Pasch (Cardinals)

Wayne Larivvee (Packers)

Merrill Reece (Eagles)

I've listened to most team broadcasts (obviously not nearly as much as my home team) but in my completely objective opinion, Merrill Reece has been unquestionably the best since I've been able to listen to others.  I'd wager he's been the best for decades, but can't vouch for that.  The Eagles broadcast overall is simply excellent.  Mike Quick is certainly not the best color guy in the game, but works well with Merrill and stays out of his way.  I particularly love when Merrill pokes fun at the Eagles or even bashes them when they're getting killed.

Archived