48 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Ah, I see... So Kaepernick is solely to blame for the 49ers futility over the last few years? Interesting. This isn't about character over content. You seem to be the only one here arguing that Kaepernick is so terrible that no NFL team has any reason to sign him, even as a backup. You're completely ignoring the context of the last two years. So let's talk about content...

You're right, he did lose his starting job in 2015 before having season-ending shoulder surgery. Statistically, it was the worst season he's played on a team that was going nowhere. He came back to training camp in 2016 and Chip Kelly eventually named Blaine Gabbert as the starter. Eventually, Gabbert was benched and Kaepernick re-took the starting job in Week 6. Here's what he did the rest of the year...

Yes, he went 1-10 as a starter. It's kind of hard to win games when your defense ranks dead last in points allowed per game, your running game ranks dead last and your top two receiving weapons are Torrey Smith and Jeremy Kerley (who combined for >1,000 yards). And despite all of this, he still finished with the 6th lowest INT percentage in the entire NFL last season. But yeah, he's not good anymore right? Ryan Fitzpatrick ranked dead last among qualified QBs with a 4.2 INT% last year, and yet he still wound up getting a job with the Buccaneers. I guess it's only fair that Fitzpatrick should get an infinite amount of starting opportunities over his career, but Kaepernick should call it quits after four or five bad games in a two-year stretch.

Kaepernick clearly put up better numbers and won the same amount of games (1) as Gabbert did as a starter in 2016. And yet, Gabbert landed a backup job with the Cardinals this offseason. Gabbert is 9-31 as a starter. So clearly this is not about wins and losses.

It may be hard to win games with a bad defense, but the defense can only allow 7 points a drive (well, 8, but I digress).  At some point, you've got to move the ball on offense...not just to keep up, but to give your defense a rest.  If the offense isn't doing that, the QB is going to get the deserved blame for the offense sputtering.  Now it's great if he's not turning the ball over on the first three downs...but if the offense keeps getting to fourth down, that's not really much better than not throwing a pick.  You're still giving the ball to the other team.

What do you think is a QB's job...put up stats or put his team in a position to win games?  6th lowest INT% obviously wasn't too beneficial to a 1-10 record.  Having pretty-ish stats sure meant a lot to a QB winning 9% of his starts.  And how much of those stats got piled up due to garbage time and prevent defense?  Other than the Chicago game, where he got pulled in the 3rd quarter where he completed like 1-2 passes for 10 yards.

If I told you a QB went 1-10 last season and 3-nearly 20 the past two seasons, would you want him?

So what? The real issue is why did he only receive a single workout? There were plenty of teams that were in the market for a backup during the offseason and plenty more since the start of the season. The fact that the Packers won't even entertain the thought of inviting him in for a workout and would rather stick with two backups with zero starting experience is stupid. Same goes for the other teams who would rather stick with terrible backups (Raiders, Titans, Rams, Bears, Bills, Ravens, Jets, etc.)

About the only chance Kaepernick has of getting signed in-season is if there's a 2016 Browns-like scenario where their first 4 QB's get hurt.  If Kaepernick struggled with new offenses he was under for 2015 and 2016 with the benefit of having OTA's, mini-camps, and training camp....how do you seriously think he'll succeed getting picked up in Week 8 with an offense he likely has no familiarity with?  No coach just picks up a helmet, tosses it to a guy and says "Go get you some".  Hundley's been with the Packers for three seasons now, and the other guy has been there for two.  It's not a stretch to feel they've got the better odds to play better and get wins than a guy sitting on his couch.

Haha, conspiracy theory. I'm pretty sure most people in this thread believe Kaepernick is being blackballed by the NFL and feel that he's a better QB than 90% of the current backups in the league. I think you're doing everything you can to come up with reasons why teams are better off not signing him. I'm not sure that's an argument you can win unless you bring up the so-called "off-field issues" that you feel Kaepernick would bring to the table. I can't help it if you can't see through the NFL's hypocrisy on this issue. Greg Hardy, Ray Rice (before the tape was leaked), Michael Vick, etc.. all received second opportunities despite heavy media scrutiny. It's pretty obvious what this is really about. Now if you really believe guys like Matt Schaub, Blaine Gabbert, Matt Cassel, Ryan Mallet, Scott Tolzien, Brandon Weeden, Mark Sanchez, Kevin Hogan, Brock Osweiller, etc. are all better QBs than Kaepernick, that's fine. The numbers would suggest otherwise, and it's not even close. If a convicted dog killer can sign with a team (who had no immediate need for a QB) just months after being released from prison, why can't Kaepernick be afforded the same opportunity?

I never said they were better.  All I've said is that these individual teams feel these guys fit best with what they're doing.  Reading comprehension is key.  ;)

So here's what we do know:

-There's an admission that Kaepernick is not as good as he was when he last made the playoffs back in 2013.

-Kaepernick needs a specific offense and good talent around him to succeed in.

-NFL teams will sign players (of any race) with off-field issues if their play is worth the distraction.

-NFL teams will employ those that openly show they're protesting.

To keep insisting that he's being blackballed when others are doing the same thing and are still employed means you're just moving the target and don't want to admit that, well, he just might not be good enough.

Seems like if you're a high profile player for the Patriots or Cowboys you're essentially immune to punishment from the league. You can't convince me otherwise.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Seems like if you're a high profile player for the Patriots or Cowboys you're essentially immune to punishment from the league. You can't convince me otherwise.

Tom Brady would have something to say about that.

On 10/18/2017 at 7:17 AM, ozzyman314 said:

Tom Brady would have something to say about that.

Can you imagine a world where Brady were suspended for four games but his team still went 3-1 and then went on to win the Super Bowl in the greatest comeback of all time, and Boston fans still found a reason to bitch and moan? That would be crazy!

3 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Can you imagine a world where Brady were suspended for four games but his team still went 3-1 and then went on to win the Super Bowl in the greatest comeback of all time, and Boston fans still found a reason to bitch and moan? That would be crazy!

Whose bitching & moaning? 

Just pointing out Facts. 

Brady, one of the most high profile players in the League, was indeed punished by Goodell. That's a fact. 

1 minute ago, lordsketor said:

Beast Mode is disqualified and will be fined bigly...

One of the dumbest incidents I've ever seen.

Marshawn Lynch probably did the stupidest thing I've ever seen from an NFL game.

Derek Carr has the ball and gets held up by a Chiefs defender.  A second Chiefs player takes a shot at Carr as he's on the ground (or in the grasp....play is concluding).  Lynch, who wasn't on the field, leaves the bench and sprints to the skirmish, gets physical with the official as he's trying to get to one of the Chiefs players.  Lynch gets ejected, and likely should be suspended for being a dumbass.

13 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Marshawn Lynch probably did the stupidest thing I've ever seen from an NFL game.

Derek Carr has the ball and gets held up by a Chiefs defender.  A second Chiefs player takes a shot at Carr as he's on the ground (or in the grasp....play is concluding).  Lynch, who wasn't on the field, leaves the bench and sprints to the skirmish, gets physical with the official as he's trying to get to one of the Chiefs players.  Lynch gets ejected, and likely should be suspended for being a dumbass.

Marshawn had to get to Marcus Peters to rekindle that old East Bay feud: Oakland Tech (Lynch) vs. McClymons (Peters).

Edit: He ran out to protect Peters as they're damn near related.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/19/marcus-peters-on-marshawn-lynch-intervention-family-comes-first/

Edited by dfwabel

Pretty dumb move by Lynch; surprising considering he seems like a somewhat smart and level-headed guy (for NFL standards).

If he wanted to get revenge he should've just leveled Peters with a blindside hit next time he was on the field instead.

1 hour ago, ozzyman314 said:

Brady, one of the most high profile players in the League, was indeed punished by Goodell. That's a fact. 

A guy who's pushing 40 got to miss 4 games worth of physical punishment from NFL defenders.  Would that we all receive such "punishment."

1 hour ago, ozzyman314 said:

LOL wow, I never took Lynch as the "Diva" type. 

There has to be more to this. 

The Lynch move so far hasn't exactly panned out for the Raiders. Yes, he's the team's leading rusher heading into tonight's game with 257 yards and 2 touchdowns.. but, he hasn't done much. His best game was in Week 1 with a 76 yard game.

I get the feeling this isn't working as planned.

25 minutes ago, rams80 said:

A guy who's pushing 40 got to miss 4 games worth of physical punishment from NFL defenders.  Would that we all receive such "punishment."

Brady gets suspended and you still find a way to complain about it. Just.....wow. 

10 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

Brady gets suspended and you still find a way to complain about it. Just.....wow. 

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

21 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

Brady got a damn slap on the wrist and an extended pre-season.  When you're as old as he is, those 4 games off might have bought him an extra season.

It's 2017 and people from both sides are still butthurt about deflategate :rolleyes: