Sign in to follow this  
Magic Dynasty

Could the Rays be moving to Las Vegas?

Quillz    224
On 7/23/2017 at 6:56 AM, HedleyLamarr said:

Rays went to the World Series in 2007

It was actually 2008. The Red Sox won the pennant in 2007.

Quillz    224
On 7/30/2017 at 5:52 AM, BeerGuyJordan said:

Some cities aren't a significant secondary market for any team. Nashville, Las Vegas, Portland, and Charlotte are examples of that. It absolutely should be one of many factors considered. 

Portland, in the few times I've been there, always seems to be showing the Mariners on TV. Would the city not be considered a secondary market for Seattle?

Quillz    224
On 8/3/2017 at 0:38 PM, vikmurphy said:

That stadium is 19 years old how did it fall into such a spot of disrepair? 

I have to say I am amazed that stadiums like Fenway, Wrigley, and Dodger Stadium have managed to last as long as they have. While stadiums that weren't even 20 years old are already being abandoned. I guess it really does come down to maintenance. You'd think baseball clubs would do whatever it takes to keep their stadiums in good working order, but I guess not.

EDIT: Some other posts have stated the stadium is fine, and this is mainly just a ploy by the D'Backs to get some upgrades they want.

BeerGuyJordan    876
4 hours ago, Quillz said:

Portland, in the few times I've been there, always seems to be showing the Mariners on TV. Would the city not be considered a secondary market for Seattle?

Being in a team's TV market and being a significant secondary market aren't the same thing. Sure, you see more Mariners fans in Portland than any other team, but it's not a strong or very deep fanbase.

I believe that most of this is due to the lack of on-field success the Mariners have had. Portland falls more in line with Charlotte, or Nashville, in that they aren't a stronghold for any  teams. Not in the way Providence, or Columbus are.

the admiral    10,240
5 hours ago, Quillz said:

Some other posts have stated the stadium is fine, and this is mainly just a ploy by the D'Backs to get some upgrades they want.

Ah yes, the Bradley Center plan.

crashcarson15    978

I saw Indianapolis discussed a few pages ago, and I think Indianapolis could maybe support an American League team in the same way that Cleveland and Pittsburgh support the Indians and Pirates -- they're all metro areas of roughly 2 million, and each CLE and PIT have the three-team grouping of football/baseball/winter that Indianapolis would. Of course, that way is "lower mid-pack in attendance when the team is good, near the bottom when the team isn't good," which is probably not the long-term pathway to success.

Baseball has very few small-market teams, and most of those that do remain are longstanding clubs -- only Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh have fewer than 2.5 million people -- and is already in literally every market larger than that in the English-speaking part of the continent.

The best you could do population-wise is adding Charlotte, which would still rank 24th in both population and as a media market. Would Charlotte have more success supporting the football/baseball/winter trio than either Cleveland or Pittsburgh do? Perhaps Raleigh/Durham is more feasible, with only the Hurricanes and (admittedly big) college sports to deal with?

the admiral    10,240
3 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

Baseball has very few small-market teams, and most of those that do remain are longstanding clubs -- only Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh have fewer than 2.5 million people -- and is already in literally every market larger than that in the English-speaking part of the continent.

And those cities you mentioned, especially Milwaukee and Pittsburgh, ranked much higher among American cities half a century ago. Got lapped by goddamn Phoenix and Raleigh-Durham.

I would love to see Raleigh lose the NHL and gain the American League. 

kroywen    1,400

If Indianapolis had a long history of hosting major league baseball, a la Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh, I'm sure it'd be a market on par with its midwestern counterparts. But to try to grow a brand new fanbase in a market that's smaller than those three aforementioned cities would be asking for trouble. Especially given that said market might already be tapped out with the Pacers, Colts, and (to a lesser extent) Indiana basketball.

Baseball's best bet would be to go into a market with high population growth and a strong business base that's one of the largest 30 metropolitan areas in the country. That's basically Charlotte, San Antonio, Orlando, or Portland. San Antonio would be a hard sell to the two existing Texas teams, while Orlando would necessitate that the Rays rebuild their fanbase while remaining in a state that notoriously does not support MLB well.

(There's actually one other high-growth large metro area that baseball technically is not in right now - the Inland Empire. But there's no way Southern California should absorb a fourth team, and it's such a geographically dispersed area that any team would have trouble drawing fans to weekday night games. It might work as an Angels relocation threat, but nothing else.)

sayahh    356
On 7/22/2017 at 7:25 PM, EvilChameleon said:

There's this city in Canada that could use a team. Can't quite remember the name of it right now though... starts with an M....

Manitoba? Wait, no, that's a province... hmm...

Mexico City? Wait, no that's in Mexico...

the admiral    10,240

Hypothetical: if baseball's antitrust exemption had been amended in 1971, following the relocation of the Washington Senators and the NFL-AFL antitrust amendment, to include a clause prohibiting relocation of major-league teams, would that have exempted Toronto and Montreal, making their value increase tremendously by being the only portable teams?

Gothamite    5,897

Hmm.  I doubt it.  I can't see the other owners being willing to extend exceptions to two teams.  More likely the prohibition would be written into MLB by-laws and apply to all clubs regardless of location. 

DustDevil61    438

Great timing for the Tampa Bay Rays...

Edited by DustDevil61

LA_Angels    71

I don't think a new stadium will fix the rays problem at all. Based on what happend in Miami, I don't believe a new stadium will always solve attendance problems. I feel like a possible market other than Montreal on the upswing currently would be Sacramento; nice metro area, only the kings to compete with, and a stadium that could be expanded to MLB standards if needed. However i view this as an alternate option to the A's stadium fiasco, because 3 NorCal teams might be pushing it.

BeerGuyJordan    876

I mean, sure, Omaha would be an unorthodox move. Tampa's set such a low bar, though, that it's hard to imagine them not being a step up. Even if it's only a 5 to 10 year stop gap until a larger metro area goes looking for a team.

Gothamite    5,897
7 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I mean, sure, Omaha would be an unorthodox move. Tampa's set such a low bar, though, that it's hard to imagine them not being a step up. Even if it's only a 5 to 10 year stop gap until a larger metro area goes looking for a team.

No team is going to be allowed to relocate for only 5 or 10 years.  They'll stay put unless they get a stadium deal somewhere, which will carry with it at least a 20 year lease. 

BeerGuyJordan    876
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

No team is going to be allowed to relocate for only 5 or 10 years.  They'll stay put unless they get a stadium deal somewhere, which will carry with it at least a 20 year lease. 

I was never saying they get terms for that short of a stay. I was saying that attendance would hold out for about that long, at the very least. If it did tank, which I'm not convinced it would, they could reasses then.

This is only under the assumption that they can't find another city to build or expand a park. I don't really think staying in Tampa is a good bet.

AstroBull21    551
10 hours ago, LA_Angels said:

I don't think a new stadium will fix the rays problem at all. Based on what happend in Miami, I don't believe a new stadium will always solve attendance problems. I feel like a possible market other than Montreal on the upswing currently would be Sacramento; nice metro area, only the kings to compete with, and a stadium that could be expanded to MLB standards if needed. However i view this as an alternate option to the A's stadium fiasco, because 3 NorCal teams might be pushing it.

Miami is a bad measuring stick because while the Marlins got a brand new stadium, it's location still hinders it much like Tropicana Field and the Rays.

The population (and money) in the Miami area is a little bit north in Broward County so if Marlins Park was built a little further north and optimized it's location that may have helped overall.

dfwabel    993

If Omaha was chosen, the team would have a 20+ day road trip in June due to the College World Series. That contract is through 2035.

Gothamite    5,897
50 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I was never saying they get terms for that short of a stay. I was saying that attendance would hold out for about that long, at the very least. If it did tank, which I'm not convinced it would, they could reasses then.

But it doesn't work that way.  If it did then the Rays would already be gone.