Sign in to follow this  
Magic Dynasty

Could the Rays be moving to Las Vegas?

Ice_Cap    7,591
15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Wait, what?  Did I miss something?

So the Golden Knights decided that they were going to be the "team of the Rockies" (even though there's a team in Denver). 

Anyway as such they decided to forgo Fox Sports West as their local affiliate. Instead they teamed up with Root Sports, who will broadcast their games to Utah, Western Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana. 

Problem here (aside from those markets being closer- geographically and culturally- to Denver, the Twin Cities, and Winnipeg than to Vegas) is that Root Sports isn't actually carried by Cox Cable or CenturyLink. Both of whom together represent 70% of Las Vegas' viewership. 

So the Golden Knights signed a tv deal with a regional sports network that airs games in markets that likely already have loyalties to other teams, while not actually being available in their home market. 

It's perhaps the most OITGDNHL thing to ever happen. 

EDIT- Also what @Magic Dynasty said :P

the admiral    10,240
On 8/26/2017 at 9:42 AM, Gothamite said:

Wait, what?  Did I miss something?

Yeah, apparently putting your games on a Denver/Utah RSN makes it hard to get picked up in Las Vegas. Cox won't pay what AT&T wants for an RSN that will have two of its three teams blacked out.

DustDevil61    438
6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, apparently putting your games on a Denver/Utah RSN makes it hard to get picked up in Las Vegas. Cox won't pay what AT&T wants for an RSN that will have two of its three teams blacked out.

Maybe Salt Lake finds itself as #5 in the 5-city relocation sweepstakes of 2025, but given the history of this league, we all know Honolulu gets the team.

Will Astros/Rangers get better attendance than the Rays at the Trop?

Magic Dynasty    437

No chance, although if it does I will be more than a little annoyed with Rays fans everywhere. If fans from Texas show up and the local Rays fans don't, then they might as well book the team's own ticket to Montreal/Las Vegas/Omaha/Mexico City/whatever.

Sykotyk    307

The tickets are dirt cheap. So, I remember a Chargers game moving to Tempe getting a huge crowd when it was basically 'bring something to donate' to get in free. I forget Minnesota's game in Detroit, but remember it being something similar and had a huge crowd.

True baseball fans might not be able to pass up $10 lower bowl seats.

LA_Angels    71
9 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

The tickets are dirt cheap. So, I remember a Chargers game moving to Tempe getting a huge crowd when it was basically 'bring something to donate' to get in free. I forget Minnesota's game in Detroit, but remember it being something similar and had a huge crowd.

True baseball fans are already hard to find in the Tampa Bay area.

Gothamite    5,897
9 hours ago, LA_Angels said:

True baseball fans are already hard to find in the Tampa Bay area.

No, they're not.  They're just fans of other teams. 

11 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Yea, the Vikings game was MNF against the Giants. Free admission as well. She was sold out.

Sykotyk    307
3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Exactly. So they're not going to pay MLB money to see a Rays game unless their team comes to town.

However, getting in to a game for $10, even if not your team, might not be something to pass up.

raysox    1,212
4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Sure if you ignore the fact the Rays still have above average TV ratings

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2016/09/28/here-are-the-2016-mlb-prime-time-television-ratings-for-each-team/2/#7ea293f1791d

Or the fact they have the most twitter followers than any of the other 90s expansion teams

59a5823c9d618_ScreenShot2017-08-29at11_02_33AM.png.6fb4b143a255084e42c5eade765b057d.png

Extremely biassed, but damn dude get your head out of your ass. Yeah there's other fans here, and I don't blame them for wanting to support their home team. The front office is doing what they can to move on. They toured Atlanta last week, like previously mentioned. They'e evaluating the options of financials because they want to get it absolutely right. The commissioner of baseball was here last week. He toured stadium sites in Tampa. I grew up with this team and nearly everyone who grew up here is a Rays fan. The fan base is growing. If only someone pointed out it's a location and facility problem, rather than the market being broken.

raysox    1,212
58 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

:lol:

2 hours ago, raysox said:

than any of the other 90s expansion teams

AstroBull21    551

I have to side with @raysox that the first true generation of Rays fans is in the age range of 30-35.  I for one am 32, and was 13 when the Rays began play.  Been a fan ever since the beginning, but when the core group of Rays fans is in their early thirties, theyre just beginning families which will continue to grow.

The Lightning are 5 years older than the Rays and are just now beginning to hit their strides.

the admiral    10,240
35 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I have to side with @raysox that the first true generation of Rays fans is in the age range of 30-35.  I for one am 32, and was 13 when the Rays began play.  Been a fan ever since the beginning, but when the core group of Rays fans is in their early thirties, theyre just beginning families which will continue to grow.

Hear this as an excuse for giving taxpayer bailouts to NHL teams

35 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

The Lightning are 5 years older than the Rays and are just now beginning to hit their strides.

There it is

AstroBull21    551
3 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

There it is

There what is?  I'm not really one of those confrontational people on here but I'm confused as to what you mean.

Sykotyk    307
4 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

There what is?  I'm not really one of those confrontational people on here but I'm confused as to what you mean.

He thinks the announcement of a team instantly creates thousands of diehard fans who will devote their lives and support to the team.

Gothamite    5,897

It usually does.  

At the very least, fans come out to a new team if it does well.  But when a team leads its division every day of the season, wins the pennant, goes to the World Series, and still can't draw flies, that says something.