Sign in to follow this  
OMMF

Travel recommendations thread

lopernv    300
41 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Are the Adirondacks too far/too obvious for your liking? If not, I'd say that would be a nice trip. If it is there's quite a bit in the Hudson River Valley for a shorter trip. Also the Finger Lakes region's a nice getaway, as long as you're not planning it when there's a racing weekend at Watkins Glen that would take a trip to the waterfalls there out of the equation

On the obvious side, I suppose not. But it is somewhat of a big area and it would be nice to know what to look for (i.e. this town, this park, etc).

I'd think 4-5 hours of driving (4:30 to Adirondacks, 4:45 to Watkins Glen) is near the borderline of what I'd consider weekend trip drive-ability, so, in the ball park, but nothing farther.

RyanMcD29    312
2 minutes ago, lopernv said:

On the obvious side, I suppose not. But it is somewhat of a big area and it would be nice to know what to look for (i.e. this town, this park, etc).

I'd think 4-5 hours of driving (4:30 to Adirondacks, 4:45 to Watkins Glen) is near the borderline of what I'd consider weekend trip drive-ability, so, in the ball park, but nothing farther.

On the Adirondack part, my family always liked to go up to Lake George/Glens Falls, but I know Lake George/Saratoga isn't everyone's cup of tea given the crowds that can pile up there and the tourist-y nature of it. If it's in the fall rather than the end of summer it might be a bit less crowded. That being said, there's some nice bed and breakfast towns just outside of the touristy areas.

Finger Lakes have a lot of nice natural scenery and some good drives if you're into making some rides out of it, like making your base in Ithaca or Geneva and going around Seneca and Cayuga Lakes. Lots of wineries too if you're into that. The gorges/waterfalls are mainly on the southern tips, so Buttermilk Falls and the Cornell campus in Ithaca and Watkins Glen State Park would be on your best bets for hikes and stuff.

Otherwise for closer things, the Catskills and Hudson Valley are good for hiking and some small towns, and the Cooperstown area is in the 4-5 hour range too. There's kind of only Cooperstown and Oneonta in that vicinity but the Baseball Hall of Fame's a good visit and there's some good farms and breweries to visit, too. Also the food in the area's real good too, including Brooks Brothers BBQ in Oneonta and the Fly Creek farm and market.

Cosmic    2,501
1 hour ago, lopernv said:

For a quaint, natural area, I spent a long weekend in the North Creek area. Cabin on a little lake to row around in. There's a place where you can go digging for garnet, or an abandoned old garnet mine to wander around that we went to because the tourist place hadn't opened for the season yet. There was also some spelunking nearby that we didn't have time for. Beautiful scenery. Almost a straight shot up I-87 from NYC, so driving would be relatively short... Google says slightly less than 4 hours from City Hall.

Edit: This is where we stayed: http://morningsidecamps.com/

tp49    306
On 8/11/2017 at 6:59 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

So here's my deal.  Planning to take one of two possible trips next month.

1) Kyiv, Tbilisi, (maybe) Baku

-I've heard varying accounts of how much English people know in Kyiv.  It's usually not a concern of mine but I do want to enjoy the nightlife (and talk to the slavic girls this site keeps telling me I should marry) so just questioning.  I can read Ukrainian and Russian cyrillic (not that I necessarily know what it means unless it sounds kinda englishy.)  Not worried about Georgia or Azerbaijan. 

2) Taipei, one (or more) of KL, Singapore, Cambodia, Japan (already been to Japan but have a GF there that it would be nice to see again), or some other place in that region (Bali?)

-This trip is more about nightlife than previous ones I've taken, so while I'm looking for culture too, it's more weighted towards nightlife.  I've been fortunate enough to see five of the 10-tallest buildings of the world, and while Petronas is just outside of that range, it would still be great to see.  Just not sure what else I'd do.

I haven't been to Kiev though I have friends who live there, nor have I done Georgia, but I'm trying to convince the Mrs that we should go, and I've heard the Azeri visa is a bear to get.

I've been to Taipei which IMHO is very under rated.  KL is an interesting place in that it's not developed and sterile as Singapore, there's a decent amount to do and it's a good jumping off point for other parts of SE Asia with cheap flights on AirAsia out of KLIA2.

That said much of the nightlife I partook in (mostly bars, less into clubs the older I got) were either in or walking distance from KLCC (Petronas Area.)  Honestly, the bar scene is what you'd find in pretty much every other city in the world (view bars, expat bars, locals joints, and dives.)  The two rooftop bars I went to were the Sky Bar at the Traders Hotel at KLCC which was in the pool area.  Nice enough atmosphere but the drinks were pricey.  I also went to Luna Bar at the Pacific Regency across from Menara KL off of Jalan P. Ramlee.  Did that more because we stayed in the hotel and it was convenient.  Nice views of both Petronas and the Menara KL.  Jalan P. Ramlee seems to be the street that the majority of clubs are on with the other area being Changit Bukit Bintang which reminds me of Xintiandi in Shanghai.  There's also the night markets and late night food spots you'd find in most Asian cities.  As for stuff to do, you'd be surprised KL is really developing and there's plenty to do outside the KLCC area (Brickfields comes to mind off the top of my head) and now that the MRT is up and running between that the LRT and the Monorail it's easier to avoid the taxi's.

We did Petronas it was decent, and I regret not buying the Petronas racing team Puma t-shirt in the tower gift shop because I never saw it in any other store and it was the equivalent of $75 US. 

If you wanted to jump to Singapore or Bali from KL you can get a cheap flight as I mentioned on AirAsia and it's easy to get to KLIA/KLIA2 by train from KL Centraal.  KL is a city that I would go back to without hesitation.  

tp49    306
On 8/11/2017 at 7:51 PM, lopernv said:

Any great long weekend road trip destinations from NYC? Avoiding the bigger cities (Washington, Philly) and the obvious destinations (Hamptons, Montauk, etc)? Looking for things like quaint towns or naturally beautiful areas.

I'll submit Burlington, Vermont for consideration.  If you go before the ferry stops running you can go across Lake Champlain from Port Kent, NY which is a nice ride on its own.  Though obvious destinations aside if you were going to go to the east end of Long Island, I'd suggest the North Fork out towards Greenport and Orient Point over the Hamptons and Montauk (says the guy who's going to Montauk next week.)

OMMF    68
On 8/11/2017 at 6:59 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

So here's my deal.  Planning to take one of two possible trips next month.

1) Kyiv, Tbilisi, (maybe) Baku

-I've heard varying accounts of how much English people know in Kyiv.  It's usually not a concern of mine but I do want to enjoy the nightlife (and talk to the slavic girls this site keeps telling me I should marry) so just questioning.  I can read Ukrainian and Russian cyrillic (not that I necessarily know what it means unless it sounds kinda englishy.)  Not worried about Georgia or Azerbaijan. 

2) Taipei, one (or more) of KL, Singapore, Cambodia, Japan (already been to Japan but have a GF there that it would be nice to see again), or some other place in that region (Bali?)

-This trip is more about nightlife than previous ones I've taken, so while I'm looking for culture too, it's more weighted towards nightlife.  I've been fortunate enough to see five of the 10-tallest buildings of the world, and while Petronas is just outside of that range, it would still be great to see.  Just not sure what else I'd do.

My experience in Kiev was 20 years ago (before their first McDonalds!) but back then speaking in English was difficult. Luckily, we had interpreters with us. I'm guessing it's improved a lot since then with more and more of the West being introduced there. There's a lot of history to take in in Kiev, not all of it pleasing. Overall, even as a teenager, I was impressed with the city and what it had to offer.

It's a place I would love to go back to to see how much time has changed it since 1997.

kroywen    1,392
On 8/11/2017 at 10:51 PM, lopernv said:

Any great long weekend road trip destinations from NYC? Avoiding the bigger cities (Washington, Philly) and the obvious destinations (Hamptons, Montauk, etc)? Looking for things like quaint towns or naturally beautiful areas.

The Berkshires. Lenox, MA is about 2 and a half hours from NYC, and it's absolutely beautiful up there. Gorgeous rolling hills, great landscapes, and plenty of quaint towns. Lenox is my favorite of the towns up there - great restaurants, interesting art galleries (well, for viewing - the art is generally only affordable to those with penthouses on the Upper East Side and a country house out in Easthampton ;)), great bookstores and other ephemera, and home of the Tanglewood Music Festival, which is the summer residence of the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

Great Barrington (the largest of the Berkshire towns), Stockbridge (good for shopping, not-so-great for dining), and Williamstown (location of the Clark Art Institute, Williams College, etc.) are also must-visits up there. Pittsfield is the only city in the Berkshires, and it's really a gorgeous little city with loads of hip restaurants. The restaurant scene up there definitely reaches NYC-level quality (unsurprisingly, most of the restaurateurs up there are New York transplants). Also plenty of great walking trails and orchards.

It's very expensive to visit during the summer, while Tanglewood is going on. In general, the museums and restaurants up there have NYC-level prices (fortunately, they generally have the quality to match said prices). Autumn is more affordable in terms of getting a hotel, and provides amazing foliage. The main Berkshires cultural festivals - Tanglewood, Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival, Shakespeare & Co., etc. - are mostly summer-only, but if you're interested in quaint towns in a beautiful setting, the fall is the time to go there. Much cheaper and with an amazing foliage.

BringBackTheVet    4,171
On 8/16/2017 at 9:06 PM, OMMF said:

My experience in Kiev was 20 years ago (before their first McDonalds!) but back then speaking in English was difficult. Luckily, we had interpreters with us. I'm guessing it's improved a lot since then with more and more of the West being introduced there. There's a lot of history to take in in Kiev, not all of it pleasing. Overall, even as a teenager, I was impressed with the city and what it had to offer.

It's a place I would love to go back to to see how much time has changed it since 1997.

On 8/15/2017 at 3:12 AM, tp49 said:

I haven't been to Kiev though I have friends who live there, nor have I done Georgia, but I'm trying to convince the Mrs that we should go, and I've heard the Azeri visa is a bear to get.

I've been to Taipei which IMHO is very under rated.  KL is an interesting place in that it's not developed and sterile as Singapore, there's a decent amount to do and it's a good jumping off point for other parts of SE Asia with cheap flights on AirAsia out of KLIA2.

That said much of the nightlife I partook in (mostly bars, less into clubs the older I got) were either in or walking distance from KLCC (Petronas Area.)  Honestly, the bar scene is what you'd find in pretty much every other city in the world (view bars, expat bars, locals joints, and dives.)  The two rooftop bars I went to were the Sky Bar at the Traders Hotel at KLCC which was in the pool area.  Nice enough atmosphere but the drinks were pricey.  I also went to Luna Bar at the Pacific Regency across from Menara KL off of Jalan P. Ramlee.  Did that more because we stayed in the hotel and it was convenient.  Nice views of both Petronas and the Menara KL.  Jalan P. Ramlee seems to be the street that the majority of clubs are on with the other area being Changit Bukit Bintang which reminds me of Xintiandi in Shanghai.  There's also the night markets and late night food spots you'd find in most Asian cities.  As for stuff to do, you'd be surprised KL is really developing and there's plenty to do outside the KLCC area (Brickfields comes to mind off the top of my head) and now that the MRT is up and running between that the LRT and the Monorail it's easier to avoid the taxi's.

We did Petronas it was decent, and I regret not buying the Petronas racing team Puma t-shirt in the tower gift shop because I never saw it in any other store and it was the equivalent of $75 US. 

If you wanted to jump to Singapore or Bali from KL you can get a cheap flight as I mentioned on AirAsia and it's easy to get to KLIA/KLIA2 by train from KL Centraal.  KL is a city that I would go back to without hesitation.  

Thanks guys.  Sorry for late follow up.

So I'm pushing Kiev+Caucuses to later this year. Some good flight deals to Tbilisi right now, and Kiev / Baku / Yereven are super cheap from there.

Doing the following starting next week:

Phnom Penh->Siem Reap->Singapore->KL->Taipei

• Will only be in KL for one night, but that's fine.  Got an apt. with a great view of Petronas, so I can check off #12 of top 20 tallest buildings in the world (8 of top 12.)  Avoiding the crazy backward-ass countries for now.

• I wasn't originally thrilled about Taipei - it just kinda worked out to fly to/from there so we worked in 4 nights.  Now that I've met people from there and read what you wrote, I'm definitely excited, though the temp will be a hundred and balls with 500% humidity.

• Celebrating my bday in Singapore, probably somewhere in Clark Quay.  I'm staying in an apartment right on Orchard so while super expensive, am super close to anywhere via mrt.  Not certain about specific places, besides kudeta (or ce la vi, as I think they changed the name.)

• Going to the killing fields in Phnom Penh, and obviously Angkor complex in Siem Reap (my ABnB comes with a driver to drive us around in Tuk Tuk the whole time.  I'mma call him Virgil.)  Not to sure about night life in PP, though I know about all the hooker scams and stuff to avoid.  Have a feeling pub street in SR will be packed with smelly-inappropriately-dressed Aussies, like pretty much every tourist area in asia.  At least they're fun to party with, until stuff starts getting BROKEN.

lopernv    300

Some faves...

Toronto

Bars: Get Well, Pour Boy, Thirsty and Miserable, The Communist's Daughter, Bellwoods Brewery, Drake Hotel, Track and Field, Parts and Labour

Eats (price scales based off memory only): Supermarket ($$), Burrito Boyz ($), Grand Electric ($$), George ($$$$), Bar Isabel ($$$), Canoe ($$$$), Richmond Station ($$$), Salad King ($), Senator ($$), The Chase ($$$), Pizzeria Liberetto ($$), Momofuku ($$), Ki ($$$), Adega ($$), Terroni ($$), WVRST ($). Shawarma is great, popular, and I've described it as probably the "Mexican" of Toronto.

Coffee: Dineen, Jimmy's, Bulldog, Snakes and Lattes (which also has tons of board games), Jet Fuel, Dark Horse. It's great anywhere though, tbh.

Sports Bars: Real Sports Bar, full stop. Brazenhead if your stay is TFC related.

Music: The Garrison (indie), Horseshoe Tavern (rock), Dakota Tavern (country/bluegrass), Cameron House (folk/indie/country), The Rex (jazz), The Drake Underground (hip hop/elec), Roy Thompson Hall for the Toronto Symphony Orchestra

Things to do:

AGO, ROM, CN Tower, Ripley's Aquarium, Steam Whistle Brewery Tour, Toronto Islands, Hockey Hall of Fame

Maybes: Riverdale Farm/Evergreen Brickworks, Graffiti Alley, Casa Loma, Toronto Zoo, Canada's Wonderland (bit far out), other museums like Bata, Gardiner, Aga Khan, Ontario Science Centre, plenty of live plays at Royal Alexandra, Ed Mirvish, Princess of Wales Theatres, kids would love Medieval Times

Parks: Trinity-Bellwoods, High Park, Ashbridges Bay/Woodbine Beach, Allen Gardens Conservatory, Tommy Thompson, Leslie St Spit, Scarborough Bluffs (bit far out)

Neighbourhoods to check out: Kensington Market, St. Lawrence Market, Queen West and West Queen West, Distillery District, Yorkville

Neighbourhoods to Airbnb in: The Annex, The Village (only if you are LGBT-friendly), Queen West and West Queen West, Little Italy, Little Portugal, Roncesvalles, Cabbagetown, Old Toronto. Your main priority should be placing yourself on either the Yonge-University-Spadina or Bloor subway lines (I think they're called the 1 and 2 now?)

There is always stuff going on in the city, check out www.blogto.com for more bars/restaurants/things to do (like the CNE which happens in August-Sept), especially closer to your visit.

BringBackTheVet    4,171

Related to my next trip but maybe N/A to anyone else...

If you're going to Cambodia any time soon - especially Phnom Penh and the killing fields - "First They Killed My Father" is on Netflix and is outstanding.  I don't know too much about Angelina Jolie, but apparently she directed and it's phenomenal.  It's all subtitled so you'll have to read it, but good luck not tearing up during it.

I can't believe the Khymer Rouge was a thing up until relatively recently.  As North Americans, as much as many of us don't support the US government's current policies, traveling and seeing what's happened in other parts of the world really does make you have a greater appreciation for what we have, even if you don't have much.  I've been as anti-American government as anyone, and it's relatively easy for me to say these things because I'm not a member of a discriminated-upon group, but at the end of the day, our complaints and struggles pale in comparison to what others in the world have had to deal with.  

1 hour ago, lopernv said:

Some faves...

Toronto

Bars: Get Well, Pour Boy, Thirsty and Miserable, The Communist's Daughter, Bellwoods Brewery, Drake Hotel, Track and Field, Parts and Labour

Eats (price scales based off memory only): Supermarket ($$), Burrito Boyz ($), Grand Electric ($$), George ($$$$), Bar Isabel ($$$), Canoe ($$$$), Richmond Station ($$$), Salad King ($), Senator ($$), The Chase ($$$), Pizzeria Liberetto ($$), Momofuku ($$), Ki ($$$), Adega ($$), Terroni ($$), WVRST ($). Shawarma is great, popular, and I've described it as probably the "Mexican" of Toronto.

Coffee: Dineen, Jimmy's, Bulldog, Snakes and Lattes (which also has tons of board games), Jet Fuel, Dark Horse. It's great anywhere though, tbh.

Sports Bars: Real Sports Bar, full stop. Brazenhead if your stay is TFC related.

Music: The Garrison (indie), Horseshoe Tavern (rock), Dakota Tavern (country/bluegrass), Cameron House (folk/indie/country), The Rex (jazz), The Drake Underground (hip hop/elec), Roy Thompson Hall for the Toronto Symphony Orchestra

Things to do:

AGO, ROM, CN Tower, Ripley's Aquarium, Steam Whistle Brewery Tour, Toronto Islands, Hockey Hall of Fame

Maybes: Riverdale Farm/Evergreen Brickworks, Graffiti Alley, Casa Loma, Toronto Zoo, Canada's Wonderland (bit far out), other museums like Bata, Gardiner, Aga Khan, Ontario Science Centre, plenty of live plays at Royal Alexandra, Ed Mirvish, Princess of Wales Theatres, kids would love Medieval Times

Parks: Trinity-Bellwoods, High Park, Ashbridges Bay/Woodbine Beach, Allen Gardens Conservatory, Tommy Thompson, Leslie St Spit, Scarborough Bluffs (bit far out)

Neighbourhoods to check out: Kensington Market, St. Lawrence Market, Queen West and West Queen West, Distillery District, Yorkville

Neighbourhoods to Airbnb in: The Annex, The Village (only if you are LGBT-friendly), Queen West and West Queen West, Little Italy, Little Portugal, Roncesvalles, Cabbagetown, Old Toronto. Your main priority should be placing yourself on either the Yonge-University-Spadina or Bloor subway lines (I think they're called the 1 and 2 now?)

There is always stuff going on in the city, check out www.blogto.com for more bars/restaurants/things to do (like the CNE which happens in August-Sept), especially closer to your visit.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to write this all out, I'll be sure and check some of these places out

Cosmic    2,501
On 9/17/2017 at 1:08 AM, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

Going to Toronto for the first time in a few days (because what better place to go when you're sick of America and want to see the world than Toronto, offensce Canadians). I'm going on a fairly cheap budget, but I still want to get in some must see's. What do you wonderful Toronto natives recommend?

#1 thing to do if you're on a budget is to take the ferry to Toronto Islands/Centre Island. For less than $10, you get a round trip boat ride with great views of the city. If it were set up as a tourist attraction instead of a ferry, it would probably cost two or three times as much. The islands themselves can be worthwhile, too.