Sign in to follow this  
OMMF

Travel recommendations thread

OMMF    71

Am I crazy or didn't we use to have one of these where people could ask for suggestions on places to stay, eat, visit, in specific cities they were traveling to?

Anyway, I'm headed to Vegas for the first time. But as a 36-year old married man, I don't need the "Vegas" experience. Is there anything wrong with the hotels up near Fremont as opposed to being on the Strip? I realize I'd be further away from T-Mo Arena, which is the reason I am going, but if I'm not into the party scene, Downtown should be okay for me?

Also, any other Vegas suggestions you have, I would appreciate.

LMU    3,134

The Tropicana is actually pretty reasonable and is right by T-Mobile.  It was just renovated and is considered a Doubletree now if you're a Hilton Honors member.

I'm surprising my wife for her birthday with a trip there to see the Kings/VGK game in November and managed to get about $75 a night with the CA resident discount.  I think you can get it for $85 a night otherwise.

RevNet    17

My mother and I are flying to Montreal in less than two weeks. We'll be there from that Tuesday night until that Saturday. We will have a rental car, and we'll be staying in a hotel that'll provide a continental breakfast. While we have a general itinerary of what we're going to do, I would like to have some suggestions for what else we can do in between the major stuff in our itinerary (the underground, the hop-on-hop-off bus tour, a river cruise, a drive to Quebec City, and possibly a drive to Vermont) like some places to eat for lunch and supper (dinner), mainly. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Great thread, by the way!

See Red    819
On 7/23/2017 at 9:26 PM, OMMF said:

Am I crazy or didn't we use to have one of these where people could ask for suggestions on places to stay, eat, visit, in specific cities they were traveling to?

Anyway, I'm headed to Vegas for the first time. But as a 36-year old married man, I don't need the "Vegas" experience. Is there anything wrong with the hotels up near Fremont as opposed to being on the Strip? I realize I'd be further away from T-Mo Arena, which is the reason I am going, but if I'm not into the party scene, Downtown should be okay for me?

Also, any other Vegas suggestions you have, I would appreciate.

I feel like being near Fremont Street might be worse if you're not looking for a "Vegas" experience.  Fremont Street was fun for me when I used to drink but last time I went to Vegas a few years ago with my wife, sister-in-law and brother-in-law, we wanted a more low-key visit, we had a miserable time at Fremont Street.  I've never stayed in any of the hotels, though.

tp49    316
3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

anyone been to Cambodia or KL?

Yup.

NoE38    427
11 hours ago, RevNet said:

My mother and I are flying to Montreal in less than two weeks. We'll be there from that Tuesday night until that Saturday. We will have a rental car, and we'll be staying in a hotel that'll provide a continental breakfast. While we have a general itinerary of what we're going to do, I would like to have some suggestions for what else we can do in between the major stuff in our itinerary (the underground, the hop-on-hop-off bus tour, a river cruise, a drive to Quebec City, and possibly a drive to Vermont) like some places to eat for lunch and supper (dinner), mainly. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Great thread, by the way!

Having been to Montreal a few times, I would recommend a hike up Mount Royal. It's a nice break from the urban part of the city and it also really good exercise. The view from the top is amazing, and there's a building with plaques about the history of Montreal. The Old City is really nice, and I would recommend doing the Old City in Quebec City as well. A basic knowledge of French would help if you're lost or in a similar situation.

I'm taking a flight for the first(!) time in a few weeks and am honestly not looking forward to it. Anyone have some advice for being on flights and how to stay calm?

tp49    316
8 hours ago, NoE38 said:

I'm taking a flight for the first(!) time in a few weeks and am honestly not looking forward to it. Anyone have some advice for being on flights and how to stay calm?

If your issue is fear of flying then I'd suggest reading up on how planes work and what different noises are so it takes some of that away and you know what to expect.  If it's sitting in a cramped seat for a long time I'd suggest checking on the airline's site or a site like seatguru as to what amenities are offered on your flight.  Flyertalk has subforums for many airlines which you can read to get an idea what to expect on the plane as well.  Finally, bring something to keep you occupied like a book or a tablet or a tablet loaded with books.  Jetblue has live DirectTV and free wifi, Southwest allows you to watch tv through a downloadable app on some flights for free but if you want wifi you have to pay for it. 

OMMF    71
22 hours ago, See Red said:

I feel like being near Fremont Street might be worse if you're not looking for a "Vegas" experience.  Fremont Street was fun for me when I used to drink but last time I went to Vegas a few years ago with my wife, sister-in-law and brother-in-law, we wanted a more low-key visit, we had a miserable time at Fremont Street.  I've never stayed in any of the hotels, though.

I ended up going with the Orleans. Not too far from the Strip/T-Mo Arena but has everything I want. Seemed like a reasonable combination of cost, location, and amenities.

LMU    3,134
7 minutes ago, OMMF said:

I ended up going with the Orleans. Not too far from the Strip/T-Mo Arena but has everything I want. Seemed like a reasonable combination of cost, location, and amenities.

The Orleans is pretty decent.  I stayed there a few times during the WCC Basketball Tournament.  Has a theater and a bowling alley if you want a break from gambling.  Also more-or-less walkable to the Palms and the Rio.

See Red    819

And it's a pretty quick drive to the strip if you wanted to head there at some point.  I've never stayed there but The Orleans was a good choice, I'd say.

Gobbi    253

Leaving on Saturday to go to London, Paris, and Brussels (with a day trip to Amsterdam planned). I know what I want to do for the most part but if any of you have tips for things that may not be as well known, I'm all ears!

RevNet    17
On 7/27/2017 at 8:48 AM, NoE38 said:

Having been to Montreal a few times, I would recommend a hike up Mount Royal. It's a nice break from the urban part of the city and it also really good exercise. The view from the top is amazing, and there's a building with plaques about the history of Montreal. The Old City is really nice, and I would recommend doing the Old City in Quebec City as well. A basic knowledge of French would help if you're lost or in a similar situation.

Probably won't do the hike. When I suggested this to her, my mom was set against it. I will take these other suggestions into consideration, though. Thanks for these.

Mockba    1,205
On 7/23/2017 at 9:21 PM, LMU said:

CA resident discount

Late, but... what?

LMU    3,134
Just now, Mockba said:

Late, but... what?

Yessir.  Several of the non major strip hotels in Vegas have discounts for CA residents.  The Tropicana and the M are two that I know for a fact have them.  You might also find them at places like the Orleans, etc.

BeerGuyJordan    913

So, my girlfriend and I are going to Thunder Bay next month. Any recommendations?

We're planning to hit Kakabeka Falls, and probably a brewery, or two. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BringBackTheVet    4,185
On 7/27/2017 at 2:37 AM, tp49 said:

Yup.

So here's my deal.  Planning to take one of two possible trips next month.

1) Kyiv, Tbilisi, (maybe) Baku

-I've heard varying accounts of how much English people know in Kyiv.  It's usually not a concern of mine but I do want to enjoy the nightlife (and talk to the slavic girls this site keeps telling me I should marry) so just questioning.  I can read Ukrainian and Russian cyrillic (not that I necessarily know what it means unless it sounds kinda englishy.)  Not worried about Georgia or Azerbaijan. 

2) Taipei, one (or more) of KL, Singapore, Cambodia, Japan (already been to Japan but have a GF there that it would be nice to see again), or some other place in that region (Bali?)

-This trip is more about nightlife than previous ones I've taken, so while I'm looking for culture too, it's more weighted towards nightlife.  I've been fortunate enough to see five of the 10-tallest buildings of the world, and while Petronas is just outside of that range, it would still be great to see.  Just not sure what else I'd do.

lopernv    302

Any great long weekend road trip destinations from NYC? Avoiding the bigger cities (Washington, Philly) and the obvious destinations (Hamptons, Montauk, etc)? Looking for things like quaint towns or naturally beautiful areas.

RyanMcD29    322
On 8/11/2017 at 10:51 PM, lopernv said:

Any great long weekend road trip destinations from NYC? Avoiding the bigger cities (Washington, Philly) and the obvious destinations (Hamptons, Montauk, etc)? Looking for things like quaint towns or naturally beautiful areas.

Are the Adirondacks too far/too obvious for your liking? If not, I'd say that would be a nice trip. If it is there's quite a bit in the Hudson River Valley for a shorter trip. Also the Finger Lakes region's a nice getaway, as long as you're not planning it when there's a racing weekend at Watkins Glen that would take a trip to the waterfalls there out of the equation