My first political sign

KDubK414

1 hour ago, KDubK414 said:

Good or Bad, anything to add?

KKMayor.png

I would try to incorporate more elements of the place itself into your design. Pick colors and fonts that reflect the area the most, and a uniform font would probably improve the overall design as well. Simplicity is always a good starting point, so I don't think you're far off, however adding just a few unique elements would help a lot. (Side note: I really like the slogan, it works well.)

buftxsig.png

yea that's pretty awful, mate. lets start over and think about what we want to say and how is the best way to get that message across.  you want people to be able to read this quickly and easily so we don't need their eyes darting all over the place finding the next line. just keep all the text centered and soften those colors. then use your highlight color (yellow) on his name. you're going to need to find a way to communicate something about him and what he stands for visually as well. with the tagline "neighbors first" maybe an illustration of a home could work. i worked up a quick mock to put it in visuals

(forgot what his name was when i typed it out)

kyle.jpg.b7b2ace40bac2a84fe3f78fdd1992b42.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

"Kyle Kummers," eh?  That is unfortunate.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

KDubK is a regular here, he'll get back to you in time.

You're on the right track, but even though it is St. Francis (right near yah-hey Cudahy!) I would not work a Christian cross into a political sign.

I also think BrandMoore had a great idea to change "Kyle Kummers" to "Kyle Cummings." That represents a big improvement although actually enacting name changes is a bit dicey.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if the "for St. Francis" portion is even needed. "Elect Kyle Kummers Mayor - Neighbors First" should be plenty sufficient - presumably if somebody is hanging up a campaign sign, they'll be in St. Francis, so it'll be fairly self explanatory for mayoral position Kummers is running for.

You want to make the name and slogan as large as possible, to be visible from a distance, or when driving by quickly. Real estate on a political sign is very valuable for that reason - taking up space with "Mayor for St. Francis" takes away space that can be leveraged to prominently display the candidate's name, or his slogan.

On 7/25/2017 at 10:11 AM, BrandMooreArt said:

yea that's pretty awful, mate. lets start over and think about what we want to say and how is the best way to get that message across.  you want people to be able to read this quickly and easily so we don't need their eyes darting all over the place finding the next line. just keep all the text centered and soften those colors. then use your highlight color (yellow) on his name. you're going to need to find a way to communicate something about him and what he stands for visually as well. with the tagline "neighbors first" maybe an illustration of a home could work. i worked up a quick mock to put it in visuals

(forgot what his name was when i typed it out)

kyle.jpg.b7b2ace40bac2a84fe3f78fdd1992b42.jpg

Yes, most important thing with campaign signs is to remember that they're being seen by people driving by. Not a lot of time. Less is more. Nothing worse than a cluttered sign.

The 2 key things everyone needs to see when they drive by are "Kummers" and "Mayor" Kyle is secondary, and the slogan is kinda unimportant. The classic sign formula is

Medium First Name

Big Ass Last Name

Medium Office

maybe some other stuff at the bottom in a third, smaller size.

I'd even say to ditch the "elect" and the town name, since that's kinda pointless for signs that will be all over the town itself. Unless "Mayor for St. Francis" is a point of emphasis. In that case keep the town, emphasize the FOR and ditch the slogan.

On 8/9/2017 at 0:50 PM, the admiral said:

ZaBFUSc.jpg

I'd drop the first name, and just have "ELECT" on the first line. And maybe reword the third line to just "ST. FRANCIS MAYOR" or "FOR MAYOR." The former if the sign is intended outside of St. Francis, and the latter if inside.

I took a similar approach to the admiral but I was intrigued by the initial use of blue and yellow - something different than red white and blue that dominates politics so much. Simplicity is key for political signs, you want the message and the takeaway to be obtained instantly and I think this sign does that:

KKMayor.thumb.png.d09eb3571048a9531bfd76ccfe3dcd83.png

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

1 hour ago, MiK said:

I took a similar approach to the admiral but I was intrigued by the initial use of blue and yellow - something different than red white and blue that dominates politics so much. Simplicity is key for political signs, you want the message and the takeaway to be obtained instantly and I think this sign does that:

KKMayor.thumb.png.d09eb3571048a9531bfd76ccfe3dcd83.png

Why are "ELECT" and "MAYOR" right aligned? It just looks off to me, and if anything, makes the sign distracting to read.

When it was left or center aligned, I couldn't get any balance out of it. I thought right-aligned looked the best. Maybe going left to right?

KKMayor2.thumb.png.5961f7d205b0f8c6f68066ceb398d8da.png

Eh..

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

2 minutes ago, MiK said:

When it was left or center aligned, I couldn't get any balance out of it. I thought right-aligned looked the best. Maybe going left to right?

KKMayor2.thumb.png.5961f7d205b0f8c6f68066ceb398d8da.png

Eh..

That looks better, I think. I wouldn't worry too much about "balance," since most Americans are reading left-to-right, and this isn't really intended to be a logo that requires balance. It's more like a visual sentence, if that makes sense.

Archived