Premier Rugby: Kansas City Mules

jmoe12

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

The logo is amazing but I feel the bolt in his hand seems a little off, maybe skinny? I wouldn't know how to make it look better though.

The bolt was one of the hardest parts for me to get right, but I think thicker may be the best way to go. How's this?

Bolts.png.f7c96c3be87785864d7c0d4bc682d805.png

I think this is an incredible series so far and I just reactivated my account here because I wanted to let you know. There is so much creativity and realism here with the league histories and especially the team identities. Each one is colorful, classy and well executed. My favorites are New Orleans and San Francisco. The Jester fleur-de-lis looks amazing and the home and away are quirky but not over the top. The Jailbirds are so unique. I have never seen a San Francisco team concept based on Alcatraz before and it works so well. Omaha and Illinois are also very strong identities. I love the Abe Lincoln logo and the orange and blue color scheme. Keep up the great work. I will be following along closely.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a lovely concept in a world America is a rugby-mad nation. It is interesting how Omaha still has a team in the modern era considering in our timeline they have no major league teams (only temporarily had a part-time major league team in the 1970s). It reminds me of the passion of relatively smaller city teams with storied histories in the world that they devote their energy to their teams (such as Auxerre (French soccer league system, currently Ligue 2 after 30+ consecutive seasons in Ligue 1), Geelong (AFL), Green Bay, Saskatchewan Roughriders and more).

I can't wait for more additions to what the other teams will look like!

• 2 months later...

Brooklyn Bantams

Downtrodden doesn't even begin to cover it for the Bantams. Though they are the oldest surviving rugby club in the US, Brooklyn has managed just one Premier Rugby Championship, all the way back in 1937. The Bantams have won the USRU 7 times, but have fallen in the Schroeder Cup on 6 occasions, most recently in 1963. Though the Bantams are rarely better than middle of the pack, they still have a loyal fanbase that packs Colland Row for every match. The Row is the oldest stadium in the US, constructed in 1897 and only being renovated once since, in 1954.

Since they haven't seen very high-quality product on the field, Bantams fans have turned most of their attention to cult heroes, most notably Ewan Lopez, a Brooklyn born and raised player who wore the Blue, Silver, and Orange for 16 years. Though Lopez stood just 5'3", he played with an unmatched tenacity and grit. Bantams fans fell in love, and when he retired in 2007, he was quickly added to the coaching staff, rising all the way to manager in 2013. Lopez's teams have inspired some hope for the Brooklyn faithful, as their team has steadily climbed up the table and hopes to compete for USRU East titles once again in a few seasons.

fHfTex3.png

The Bantams got their name in 1903, when owner Paul Willow's pet rooster Ferdinand ran onto the pitch during a game, and was nearly trampled by the players. Ferdinand survived, and many in the crowd suggested Willow give him a uniform for the next game. The club has always worn blue, silver, and a pale orange that is unlike any other in sports. The classic B logo has been around since the team's inception, and has not been changed for over a century.

So happy that this series is back! And the Brooklyn Bantams look great! That's a fantastic historic team name and I love the navy and peach orange color scheme. My only suggestion would be to move the amazing bantam head logo from the shorts to the shirt. I like the old-fashioned B, but I think the bantam head is more distinctive and it gets lost on the shorts.

On 11/4/2017 at 3:25 PM, Philsphan said:

So happy that this series is back! And the Brooklyn Bantams look great! That's a fantastic historic team name and I love the navy and peach orange color scheme. My only suggestion would be to move the amazing bantam head logo from the shorts to the shirt. I like the old-fashioned B, but I think the bantam head is more distinctive and it gets lost on the shorts.

I thought about moving the Bantam to the chest, but the team has had the B on the chest for forever, so I went with that. The Bantam does see plenty of action on merchandise, though.

Now, the third straight team initialed BB

Baltimore Bishops

Another one of Premier Rugby's 19th Century club, Baltimore has been moderately successful, but generally average over the course of 119 years. They've won the USRU 9 times, and taken won the Schroeder Cup 5 of those times. Their most successful era was the early 50s, where the Bishops never finished with a losing record, winning the USRU and the Schroeder Cup in '50 and '52. Injuries and bad luck stopped a Bishops' dynasty, but the '52 team is still regarded as one of the greatest in Premier Rugby history. The Bishops play their games at Camden Yard, which they share with the Orioles.

Since their last title in 2009, Baltimore has been mired in mediocrity, and have started this season with a blase 9-9 record. The team's core is mostly veterans from the 2009 campaign, and coach Kevin Andrews is the longest tenured in rugby at 19 years. Many fans are pushing for some new blood to kickstart the stagnant franchise, but ownership is reluctant to change, so the Bishops seem to be stuck with what they have, at least for now.

WZxtova.png

The Bishops are famed for their all-white home kit, a look they've sported since the 1925 season. The primary logo is a simple script B, and the secondary is a collegiate looking Bishop mascot logo, which was first adopted in 1991. The kits feature a basic diagonal line pattern, mimicking a Bishop's movement on the chess board. 

Dallas Jackalopes

The replacement of football with rugby has had the biggest effect on Dallas, who went from hosting "America's Team" to these scrubs. The Jackalopes have been around since 1973, but have managed to win exactly nothing in 44 years. The team has made the playoffs only twice, getting blown out both times, and has generally taken a place in the bottom of the standings. Dallas fans are notoriously fickle, and First Texas Bank Stadium often sits empty. The team has contemplated moving away from Big D for a while, but the team seems to have better days ahead. 

The Jackalopes have slowly developed a solid core of young players that, if managed correctly, could contend for the Schroeder Cup within 3 seasons. The fruits of this clever drafting have yet to appear, as Dallas is still rooted in last place of the USRU West. But as their rivals age, Dallas's key players will be entering their primes, and will look to leap back to the top of the standings.

JWlc5ak.png

This concept is a little out of the box, but I think it's my favorite so far. I had difficulty settling on a color scheme, and experimented with light green, light blue, and even pink as a replacement for the orange. The Jackalopes are the only team in Premier Rugby to feature a logo on the socks, something they've done since the 80s. 

One thing...rugby jerseys virtually never have numbers on the front. That space is usually reserved for sponsors.

Another than that, your work is quite impressive and it's amazing how you are tying team history to your design choices. As a former rugby player and current referee, it's very refreshing to see so much effort put into the sport.

11 hours ago, ATolly66 said:

One thing...rugby jerseys virtually never have numbers on the front. That space is usually reserved for sponsors.

Another than that, your work is quite impressive and it's amazing how you are tying team history to your design choices. As a former rugby player and current referee, it's very refreshing to see so much effort put into the sport.

Thanks for pointing that out. I figured since Premier Rugby would be as big a business as the NFL in our universe, the teams wouldn't need sponsors, and the shirts looked empty without something on the front, which led to me including numbers.

Another great concept! I love the color scheme and the team history works very well. Reminds me of teams like the Jacksonville Jaguars. Somewhat unusual team name, non-traditional color scheme and little historical success. And of course, as a diehard Philadelphia Eagles fan, it gives me nothing but pleasure that Dallas sucks at rugby.

I have a curious question @jmoe12. Has Premier Rugby been professional before 1995, when rugby union in our timeline became professional? If it was professional before 1995, does rugby union become professionalised a lot earlier globally in that timeline? And is the Rugby World Cup a lot more popular in this timeline?

And do teams typically have foreign players in their squads (given contracts are what the NFL is like in our timeline)?

4 hours ago, Goran The Man said:

I have a curious question @jmoe12. Has Premier Rugby been professional before 1995, when rugby union in our timeline became professional? If it was professional before 1995, does rugby union become professionalised a lot earlier globally in that timeline? And is the Rugby World Cup a lot more popular in this timeline?

And do teams typically have foreign players in their squads (given contracts are what the NFL is like in our timeline)?

That's an interesting question, and one I hadn't considered. Kind of crazy a sport as big as rugby had no professional presence for over a century. I'd imagine that the USA was the first to introduce professional rugby, keeping in line with the other big sport of the early days, baseball. The other big rugby nations (England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand) would hold out for a while, but once players started to defect overseas to get paid, the other nations began to introduce it, probably in the 40s or 50s. The Rugby World Cup would probably be introduced around this time, and would certainly be much bigger than what it is now. The US would probably have been behind the traditional powers for the first couple, but would catch up quickly, and would likely challenge New Zealand's dominance today. The contracts would be about the same as the NFL, maybe a little bit higher even because there are fewer roster spots. I'd think there'd be a handful of foreign players on each team, but most would stay closer to home.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived