dfwabel

Football and CTE

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Welp. Enjoy college football and the NFL while you can, guys, because it won't be around for much longer.

 

Nah. Barbarism is the new norm in the US. The NFL will be just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

 

Nah. Barbarism is the new norm in the US. The NFL will be just fine.

 

I still think the league should act fast before its popularity takes further damage.

 

On the other hand, could the NBA surpass the NFL in popularity sooner rather than later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

 

On the other hand, could the NBA surpass the NFL in popularity sooner rather than later?

You really think America really likes black folk THAT much?

 

Look how much "I hate the NBA guy" lives just here then rethink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

 

I still think the league should act fast before its popularity takes further damage.

 

On the other hand, could the NBA surpass the NFL in popularity sooner rather than later?

 

No, I don't think so. Though I do think it's interesting how the summer used to be baseball plus NFL training camp stuff, but now it's totally dedicated to NBA off-season.

 

Among the major problems the NBA would have in supplanting the NFL is the amount of games and some obvious demographic issues. While I don't think 2017 America would be as terrified of Allen Iverson as 1997 America was, the NBA will always lack a guy like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

 

No, I don't think so. Though I do think it's interesting how the summer used to be baseball plus NFL training camp stuff, but now it's totally dedicated to NBA off-season.

 

Among the major problems the NBA would have in supplanting the NFL is the amount of games and some obvious demographic issues. While I don't think 2017 America would be as terrified of Allen Iverson as 1997 America was, the NBA will always lack a guy like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

2017 America is afraid of LaVar Ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

 

No, I don't think so. Though I do think it's interesting how the summer used to be baseball plus NFL training camp stuff, but now it's totally dedicated to NBA off-season.

 

Among the major problems the NBA would have in supplanting the NFL is the amount of games and some obvious demographic issues. While I don't think 2017 America would be as terrified of Allen Iverson as 1997 America was, the NBA will always lack a guy like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

 

I think number of games is probably the #1 thing making the NFL #1.  Each game is an event.  A Tuesday night NBA game is a chore.

 

The NBA's popularity is cyclical to an extent.  Is has never gone back to 1970s parody tape-delay finals, but I'd say it was #2 during some of Jordan's years and is a clear-cut #2 now.  but in between, I'd say golf and NASCAR spent some time at #2.  

 

The NBA may continue to be cyclical based on the star power.  I've often wondered whether race would keep the NBA from ever being huge, but it honestly does not seem like much of an issue right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

 

No, I don't think so. Though I do think it's interesting how the summer used to be baseball plus NFL training camp stuff, but now it's totally dedicated to NBA off-season.

 

Among the major problems the NBA would have in supplanting the NFL is the amount of games and some obvious demographic issues. While I don't think 2017 America would be as terrified of Allen Iverson as 1997 America was, the NBA will always lack a guy like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

I think the media is a big reason for that. The NFL media has always fawned over Brady and Peyton, borderline uncritically. The NBA media loves nothing more than to pile on its biggest current star (LeBron) for whatever controversy they've manufactured this hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CS85 said:

BREAKING:  Football has always been and will always be dangerous, bad for your brain and body, and will aggressively age you due to repeated physical trauma.  

 

 

see this:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CS85 said:

BREAKING:  Football has always been and will always be dangerous, bad for your brain and body, and will aggressively age you due to repeated physical trauma.  

 

 

dont forget in early days of football:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/05/29/teddy-roosevelt-helped-save-football-with-a-white-house-meeting-in-1905/?utm_term=.d1d8a75acea3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

 

I still think the league should act fast before its popularity takes further damage.

 

On the other hand, could the NBA surpass the NFL in popularity sooner rather than later?

 

MLB and the NBA certainly stand to gain where NFL loses that's for sure. But for the NBA they definitely need to work on parity if they intend to beat the NFL sooner rather than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

 

MLB and the NBA certainly stand to gain where NFL loses that's for sure. But for the NBA they definitely need to work on parity if they intend to beat the NFL sooner rather than later.

If football really does go away, I agree that these two sports gain the most.  It's a team sport, so I don't know that individual sports gain much.  NBA would (at least as of now) become #1.  MLB, which is obviously on the decline, probably does not flirt with being #1, but right now, MLB's postseason can't compete with with the NFL for attention, even on a Wednesday.  It would be good for the most important part of the MLB year to shake free of the NFL.

 

The NHL may gain a bit.  It's viewed as the most physical of the other team sports, but for various reasons, it's probably never going to come off of the fringe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would it take for flag football to supplant tackle football?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

What would it take for flag football to supplant tackle football?

 

 

 

Flag football, or a watered-down version of tackle football will inevitably fail, because hitting is the essence of the sport. This study is very misleading, because many of the players and/or relatives, already suspected they had CTE symptoms before agreeing to donate those brains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

What would it take for flag football to supplant tackle football?

Flag football being, well, entertaining.  People already don't care about a watered-down version of tackle football....eliminate tackling altogether, no one's going to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone's supplanting the NFL it's MLB. And even then. It'll be more a case of the NFL falling behind MLB than it would be MLB rising past the NFL. The NFL has reached a ridiculous level of popularity in the US that's unlikely to be matched by any league or sport should the NFL fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mean like next year, but I really think the NFL's replacement, if there is going to be one, could be soccer in 20-30 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I don't mean like next year, but I really think the NFL's replacement, if there is going to be one, could be soccer in 20-30 years. 

Yea I see it being that or basketball. Both don't really have regional popularity like the NHL, and even to a degree MLB which too has more of a northern following than the south outside of a few markets like Atlanta. Both have a lot of participation amongst youths and parents need to buy a lot less stuff for them to participate than other sports. I also believe while baseball could become the top sport they need to do something to get youth interest in the game again, whether that means promotions where kids get into games for free or something so parents can bring them to games idk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I don't mean like next year, but I really think the NFL's replacement, if there is going to be one, could be soccer in 20-30 years. 

"Soccer is America’s sport of the future—and always will be."

I just don't see it catching up to the NBA. Let alone MLB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.