Lights Out's NBA 2017: What-If? Dallas Express (p. 4)

Lights Out

aXmefMd.png

The Rockets' Association and Icon uniforms are a fresh new take on their classic uniforms from the Hakeem era. Their community-inspired alternate features the "Clutch City" nickname across the front instead of the team or city name. Their athlete-inspired alternate is an updated version of their black "Space City" alternate uniform from last season.

QKlxeXw.png

The Heat's Association and Icon uniforms are inspired by their "Legacy" alternate uniform from the past couple seasons, albeit with a new typeface and color scheme that better suits Miami. The community-inspired alternate pays tribute to South Beach, where LeBron famously decided to "take his talents to" in 2010. The athlete-inspired alternate is a modernized take on the Floridians of the ABA, whom the Heat have thrown back to multiple times.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not crazy about the arrangement nor fonts for the Rockets set, but the all of the colors and other details are on point. The layout of the wordmarks and numerals feels very early-2000s Warriors to me, while the fonts themselves feel late-2000s Bobcats -- in both cases, things feel a bit dated and off-brand for the Rockets.

The color palette for the Heat is very interesting, and personally I really like it! It's extremely crisp and clean, and adds the extra dimension that I feel their old White Hot and Tuxedo alternates were missing. The fonts work in a retro-y way, and I absolutely love the logo you used on the shorts....can't remember if that was ever official or just from the leaked concept sketches, but either way job well done!

gtbP0cE.png

The Mavericks' Association and Icon uniforms are a modernized version of their inaugural set. Their community-inspired alternate features one of the city's nicknames (D-Town) on the jersey and the Dallas skyline on the shorts. Their athlete-inspired alternate is modeled after the uniforms Dirk wore as a member of DJK Würzburg before moving to the NBA. It also brings back the light blue color worn by the Mavs' 2011 title team.

8J0u7OV.png

The Pelicans' uniforms blend their current look with their final Hornets-era look. The color scheme has been changed to Mardi Gras colors and the pinstripes are intended to resemble Mardi Gras beads. The city nickname of "NOLA" is featured prominently on the community-inspired alternate, and the athlete-inspired alternate symbolizes every athlete's desire to "go for the gold." (Not really, but that's the kind of marketing BS Nike would come up with.)

xLmjWVv.png

On 7/26/2017 at 7:11 PM, Lights Out said:

aXmefMd.png

The Rockets' Association and Icon uniforms are a fresh new take on their classic uniforms from the Hakeem era. Their community-inspired alternate features the "Clutch City" nickname across the front instead of the team or city name. Their athlete-inspired alternate is an updated version of their black "Space City" alternate uniform from last season.

QKlxeXw.png

The Heat's Association and Icon uniforms are inspired by their "Legacy" alternate uniform from the past couple seasons, albeit with a new typeface and color scheme that better suits Miami. The community-inspired alternate pays tribute to South Beach, where LeBron famously decided to "take his talents to" in 2010. The athlete-inspired alternate is a modernized take on the Floridians of the ABA, whom the Heat have thrown back to multiple times.

How many times do we have to go through this? The Miami Dolphins DO NOT play in South Beach. They play in Miami Gardens. Nowhere near South Beach. The Miami Marlins DO NOT play in South Beach. They play in Little Havana. Closer to South Beach, but still NOT South Beach. The Miami Heat DO NOT play in South Beach. They play in Downtown Miami. The closest of all the professional sports franchises to South Beach, but nonetheless NOT South Beach. If anything, Biscayne Bay would be way more accurate, because that is the actual body of water the is nearest to American Airlines Arena.

There is NO professional sports franchises that plays in South Beach.

When LeBron James famously said he was taking his talents to South Beach, he was misinformed.

No one in Miami would be on board with a jersey that says "South Beach".

4 hours ago, whoisjulio said:

How many times do we have to go through this? The Miami Dolphins DO NOT play in South Beach. They play in Miami Gardens. Nowhere near South Beach. The Miami Marlins DO NOT play in South Beach. They play in Little Havana. Closer to South Beach, but still NOT South Beach. The Miami Heat DO NOT play in South Beach. They play in Downtown Miami. The closest of all the professional sports franchises to South Beach, but nonetheless NOT South Beach. If anything, Biscayne Bay would be way more accurate, because that is the actual body of water the is nearest to American Airlines Arena.

There is NO professional sports franchises that plays in South Beach.

When LeBron James famously said he was taking his talents to South Beach, he was misinformed.

No one in Miami would be on board with a jersey that says "South Beach".

Geez, no need to get all aggressive about this. Do you get this angry about the Dallas Cowboys playing in Arlington or the New York Jets and New York Giants playing in New Jersey?

During the Big Three era, the Heat themselves sold "Kings of South Beach" T-shirts. So they wouldn't necessarily be above wearing "South Beach" jerseys, either.

F0y7q0d.jpg

lQbqm6H.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

18 hours ago, Lights Out said:

gtbP0cE.png

The Mavericks' Association and Icon uniforms are a modernized version of their inaugural set. Their community-inspired alternate features one of the city's nicknames (D-Town) on the jersey and the Dallas skyline on the shorts. Their athlete-inspired alternate is modeled after the uniforms Dirk wore as a member of DJK Würzburg before moving to the NBA. It also brings back the light blue color worn by the Mavs' 2011 title team.

8J0u7OV.png

The Pelicans' uniforms blend their current look with their final Hornets-era look. The color scheme has been changed to Mardi Gras colors and the pinstripes are intended to resemble Mardi Gras beads. The city nickname of "NOLA" is featured prominently on the community-inspired alternate, and the athlete-inspired alternate symbolizes every athlete's desire to "go for the gold." (Not really, but that's the kind of marketing BS Nike would come up with.)

Wow my two favorite teams! I could get behind those mavs unis

but I would change it to big d as I feel like that would be a very popular jersey to buy(even for the wrong reason) and I've heard Dallas called it many more times than "d-town". Love the NOLA look

Excellent!

I really like the retro-ish font and re-emergence of green for the Mavericks. Their current set is too busy and the double blues muddle things, so the colors and simplicity of these are very good. 

I love the color palette you've chosen for the Pelicans -- a while back I tried to give them a purple/mint/metallic gold scheme without much luck, but the shade of green you have here is perfect. I'm never sold on yellow, but I really like how it alludes to Mardi Gras without being as harsh as the purple/green/yellow of their previous alternates. 

Great job!

10 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Geez, no need to get all aggressive about this. Do you get this angry about the Dallas Cowboys playing in Arlington or the New York Jets and New York Giants playing in New Jersey?

During the Big Three era, the Heat themselves sold "Kings of South Beach" T-shirts. So they wouldn't necessarily be above wearing "South Beach" jerseys, either.

F0y7q0d.jpg

lQbqm6H.jpg

1. The Miami Heat actually play in Miami though. Comparing them to the Dallas Cowboys is a terrible comparison. 2. Majestic isn't even an official NBA outfitter. They can be dumbasses all they want. Their NBA shirts end up at discount stores. 3. Don't bring up the South Beach shoe colorway as an excuse either, because that doesn't represent a team. 4. When team owner Mickey Arison brought up the idea of "South Beach" alternate uniforms, in 2015, fans overwhelmingly rejected it.

those mavericks jerseys are amazing.

my only critiques would be to change the D-Town jersey to say Big D.people dont really say "d-town" that i've ever heard. Big D is our nickname.

I'd buy a Big D jersey and I'd buy a green jersey. I'm not even a basketball fan.

i also wouldn't be upset if a little of that blue shade got mixed into the home/roads, but i know the contrast might not allow it :)

1 hour ago, scottyeagle said:

I honestly can't look at that without thinking 'diarrhea'.  I realize it's one of the nicknames for Dallas, but it's a terrible idea that would be a punchline across the sports world. 

That's why it's awesome 

Excellent!

Your Pacers set is fun, though the cornrow striping still feels off and I don't think the font works.

I really like your Cavs set -- I've never liked the idea of them switching to Browns colors, and their numeral font is pretty awful, but you've really made it all work here. The armhole trim-to-side panel transition on the jersey fits very well with the arched ends of the wordmarks, and that same section as well as the leg trim-to-side panel transition on the shorts fit very well with the numeral font. The alternating color stripes are a nice nod to their old uniforms and really make these pop. Awesome stuff!

Rockets: It's a good modernization of the Hakeem-era set, and I like your attempt to clean up the "Space City" alternate.

Heat: I'm a sucker for anything Art Deco, and you've relayed that aesthetic well into the Heat's current identity (I also like the return of the asymmetry and the Floridians-esque look). I like the base of the "South Beach" uniform, but a different city nickname might be more appropriate. 

Mavericks: It's always good to see the vintage font (with a matching number font) and green/blue color scheme back in action, and I like the minimalist striping.

Pelicans: The striping on the panels and collars are fantastic, and the choice to use a faded, teal-ish green was a good one. I'm not entirely fond of the font (something like the 2014 All-Star Game font might be better), but that's personal preference.

Pacers: I like the cornrow stripe on the FloJo-esque design, but I'm not sold on the font. It's a little too "chunky" for a team like the Pacers (a name that implies a bit of speed). I'd also flip the color distribution on the navy uniform, as the white kind of gets "blown out" by the yellow.

Cavaliers: The color block-style panel stripes are a nice touch, and I like how you've handled the color distribution of brown/orange (even though I prefer burgundy/gold for the team). The font is not all that fantastic, but you've made the most out of the team's aesthetic mistake. Kudos.

Blazers: I like the added consistency of the silver outline, and the modern take on the Bauhaus-esque font/Rip City logo is wonderful. Good work. 

Archived