Houston Rockets - Nike Concept - C&C ?

JonahHaasCr

Just wanted some feedback on the direction of this concept. It's still incomplete... Don't mind the watermark it wont be there when I post the final versions. Once I feel like I've got this design down I plan to make 4 sets (2 icon, 1 association, 1 classic). 

C&C is appreciated on just about every part of this uniform, but rather than just taking suggestions I'd like to have discussions and try to find the best solutions.

Also, I'm using my logo as a placeholder sponsor. I'd like to hear what you guys think the Rockets might actually go with.

Screen_Shot_2017_07_27_at_2_21_39_PM.png

The color palette feels a bit too similar to the one the Cavs just scrapped....perhaps a truer yellow along with a white accent will help differentiate identities and create consistency with the Rockets' brand.

The typeface and logos feel a bit dated to me, and I'd probably opt for a 'HOUSTON' script on the icon jerseys, but I really like the simplicity of the design -- the over-sized logos on the shorts are an especially nice touch.

So, a bit more contrast and perhaps a little modernization could help, but I think you're off to a good start! Excited to see how this set develops!

36 minutes ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

The color palette feels a bit too similar to the one the Cavs just scrapped....perhaps a truer yellow along with a white accent will help differentiate identities and create consistency with the Rockets' brand.

The typeface and logos feel a bit dated to me, and I'd probably opt for a 'HOUSTON' script on the icon jerseys, but I really like the simplicity of the design -- the over-sized logos on the shorts are an especially nice touch.

So, a bit more contrast and perhaps a little modernization could help, but I think you're off to a good start! Excited to see how this set develops!

I like almost all of these suggestions! A brighter red and "truer" yellow (right now it's more of a gold) would make it pop more. For now I'll try toying with some new font styles until I find the right one. 

As for the addition of white- I'm skeptical. It's funny you mention the Cavs because their cluster-fück of a leaked uniform inspired me to make a red and gold Rockets redesign. I feel like the Cavs gave them the chance to slide in and claim that as their identity. But anyways, I'll try it out as a testament to the fact that your suggestions were stellar.

Thanks dude.

Hoping this will gain traction! Being new I know I'll have to build my reputation, so forgive me for a triple post. 

The full set will include a: Red Icon, White Association, Black Icon, and Yellow Classic. Here's where I'm at for the second uniform!

Screen_Shot_2017_07_28_at_12_31_32_PM.pn

If there's no C&C (doubtful) then let's pick a sponsor for this set!

The updated colors definitely give it more of a Rockets vibe, and I love the black Icon Edition! I think the numerals could be larger on each uniform, and I wonder how things would look with the wordmarks leveled and italicized similarly to the 'HR' belt buckle logos. More good work....can't wait to see the rest of the set!

1 hour ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

The updated colors definitely give it more of a Rockets vibe, and I love the black Icon Edition! I think the numerals could be larger on each uniform, and I wonder how things would look with the wordmarks leveled and italicized similarly to the 'HR' belt buckle logos. More good work....can't wait to see the rest of the set!

I've tried a few variations of the slanted text and wasn't a huge fan. Of them all, this was the best solution but i'm not convinced that it looks better than the arched version... thoughts?

Screen_Shot_2017_07_28_at_2_07_07_PM.png

Also, I really appreciate the tidbit on the number sizing. Trying to master the template and get the concepts looking as photorealistic as possible!

I could go either way -- I feel like the arched typeface looks objectively better, but the slanted typeface looks objectively more Houston. It might be that template, but something about the perspective on the slanted typeface just looks a bit off....either way, I don't think you can go wrong!

I'd go slanted gives happiness to all the lovers of the McDonald's unis. I also love the direction your going, my only correction would be to only have one logo on the shorts.

Excellent!

I think that I will find a way to make the slanted text work for the black icon set, but keep the arched text for the red icon and association sets. 

8 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I'd go slanted gives happiness to all the lovers of the McDonald's unis. I also love the direction your going, my only correction would be to only have one logo on the shorts.

Do you mean to choose between having the midriff logo or the side logos?

I think I've found the solution to the slanted wordmark, just needed to toy around with it a little bit.... 

Screen_Shot_2017_07_31_at_11_59_27_AM.pn

I would also like to hear thoughts on removing the logo from the left side of the shorts. I don't hate it, but I don't know if it's the way to go?

I'm personally not a fan of seeing too much of that mustard yellow.  The 90s championship uniforms were perfect for me because they used the right balance, only using that color as a trim for the sleeves and nothing else other than on the logo at mid thigh for home which was another one of those very Rockets things(using the logo/wordmark on the shorts on the thigh).

2 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

I'm personally not a fan of seeing too much of that mustard yellow.  The 90s championship uniforms were perfect for me because they used the right balance, only using that color as a trim for the sleeves and nothing else other than on the logo at mid thigh for home which was another one of those very Rockets things(using the logo/wordmark on the shorts on the thigh).

Let's get some more feedback on this!

My initial direction was to have red and yellow/gold as core factors in this rebrand. I understand where you are coming from, but I did not want to rely too heavily on the teams history while creating these concepts. My intention was to play off the history, while reforming the identity (see Kings, Timberwolves, Hawks).

At first I was trying to have these uniforms as a derivative of their current identity, but I feel that I've jumped off that ship at this point- and I don't want to veer too far off my current path. White and red is currently done by a handful of other ball clubs... red and yellow on the other hand...

I get what you're saying, but i personally only like the idea of strictly red and yellow if the yellow is more of a true gold next to a nice rich and deep red such as these jordan jerseys:

Spoiler

jordan-brand-classic-2013-005.jpg

The yellow/mustard color is too much of an eye sore to be used heavily with red IMO.

11 hours ago, JonahHaasCr said:

I think I've found the solution to the slanted wordmark, just needed to toy around with it a little bit.... 

Screen_Shot_2017_07_31_at_11_59_27_AM.pn

I love this color combo. I could definitely see them adopting this. I would shrink the logo somewhat too. Maybe try a metallic gold/red/black version as well. Might be just the combination. 

4 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

I get what you're saying, but i personally only like the idea of strictly red and yellow if the yellow is more of a true gold next to a nice rich and deep red such as these jordan jerseys:

The yellow/mustard color is too much of an eye sore to be used heavily with red IMO.

I don't think the red/yellow looks bad, but i tried your suggestion and i think it works well.

Thoughts?

Screen_Shot_2017_07_31_at_11_58_16_PM.pn

Which colourway do you guys prefer? 

Going to make some adjustments to the black jerseys when we confirm a colourway. 

Archived