Indiana Pacers New Uniforms, Alternate Logos

upperV03

3 hours ago, Buc said:

As far as these Indiana uniforms go...

...my wife says they're an improvement...she didn't like the old ones, she said they were too plain. She's just as big a sports fan as i am--and increasingly one of its aesthetics. (Score one for Buc!) She likes that Indiana tried something different, and went away from being so "plain-jane and vanilla".

As soon as I saw the teaser, I immediately thought to myself "Hoosiers". Seeing the whole set...I guess the best way I can describe it is "Indiana BC" (Indiana Basketball Club). I can see the Indiana heritage inspiration--in that new secondary logo (which i REALLY like--and having lived up there in Indiana for four years, I can definitely understand and appreciate the "WE GROW BASKETBALL HERE" tagline)--but as per Nike M.O. it looks like they made a "decorative design element" out of it which with the "cornrow lines" being oriented on the uniforms as they are makes them, to me at least, look more like "random radial sunburst". I like the idea of it; just not the execution. Same for the obvious mixing of the "FloJo" side striping into that mosaic--if we hadn't already seen all these random cuts and side angles from Nike-produced designs before (namely the Jacksonville Jaguars) I probably wouldn't otherwise think too much about it. But that's yet another "trademark" design element of theirs. (And actually, now that i think about it, I'm legit surprised they didn't go the "opposing rounded/angled/squared corner" route with the jersey fonts. Speaking of which, their previous numbers weren't even straight Agency; why do so here?)

I'm also not understanding the decision to outline the "Indiana Pacers" script in white and leave everything else sans outlines. It adds needless clutter. (This is yet another of those curious design decisions I've seen of Nike's uniforms before--a bit too much for my liking.) The whole would look words better if they had kept strictly to navy and yellow (especially on the roads) and let those colors breathe on their own.

Of course, there's one other thing: I personally would have loved to have seen them embrace the spirit of (or heritage of) their nickname--racing, that is, which invokes some sense of speed and motion, kinda like the players on the court (how's that for Nike-speak?)--but it looks like they went the other direction, invoking more of a "Spirit of Indiana" vibe--which i suppose is ok, too. (And again, having lived there as long as I did, I can definitely sense and see that.)  If that was the guiding objective of their creative brief, then I'd say they hit the mark. Personally not my cup of tea, but at the end of the day, as my wife says "it's an improvement over what they had before".

I think you bring up good points here. The vibe of that front graphic does bring to mind a certain look of “non-professionalism,” but I think that’s pertinent to Indiana given how important all levels of basketball are to the people here. You can go to a bar and watch the high school playoffs, which isn’t all that common. It’s a unique visual device for them, and if any team can pull it off, it’s the Pacers. Indianapolis is the Circle City, after all. That’s what I instantly saw as the main concept, to be honest.

The second is the patterning. Corn is fine as a regional symbol, and it makes a decent, if unremarkable, pattern for the uniform, but I think they could have done something with similar presence using checkers or something more linked to the team name. I’m thinking something akin to what Tennessee’s done with its stripe, but I’m guessing the thinking was that it wouldn’t have the same connection to the “We Grow Basketball” marketing. We’re seeing teams place a lot more importance on uniting their visual identity with their marketing initiatives, and I think that’s going to continue.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, DJT said:

IMG_3182.JPGFont looks

The main problem is that the front numbers in the middle are way too big!

19 hours ago, The AFC South said:

IMG_1763.thumb.PNG.b9e170fa2ee6e7c2d26ef1f9bf07d86a.PNG

Then I got a look at the back and found 2 more big flaws. The back numbers can't be glued together like that. And what is wrong with the back of that collar? That just looks very unusual and not at all good.

These uniforms could be very beautiful, if they fix these countless flaws up. It's like they were on to something, but they made many bad choices when time came to finalize the final product.

Not feeling these at all. I don't see cornrows or think of corn when I see the side panels, I just see and think of them as ugly side panels. The script on the front is difficult to read from a far and the number font is still pretty lame. I'm not seeing "Pacers" when I look at these uniforms, I see "Indiana High School Basketball".

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

We’re seeing teams place a lot more importance on uniting their visual identity with their marketing initiatives, and I think that’s going to continue.

big mistake if you ask me; a marketing plan directing an identity. needs to go the other way

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

3 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Then I got a look at the back and found 2 more big flaws. The back numbers can't be glued together like that. And what is wrong with the back of that collar? That just looks very unusual and not at all good.

These uniforms could be very beautiful, if they fix these countless flaws up. It's like they were on to something, but they made many bad choices when time came to finalize the final product.

My goodness, it was like that other poster said about the collar sewn inside out on those Pistons jerseys. Not only that, it also looks like the front is in the back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p_x9IN6894

backwards man

8 hours ago, Buc said:

As far as these Indiana uniforms go...

...my wife says they're an improvement...she didn't like the old ones, she said they were too plain. She's just as big a sports fan as i am--and increasingly one of its aesthetics. (Score one for Buc!) She likes that Indiana tried something different, and went away from being so "plain-jane and vanilla".

Speaking of our better halves, mine isn't as big a sports fan as I am, but she's probably more into uniforms and aesthetics than some of the people on these here boards. This is what she had to say about the new Pacers uniforms "They're OK. I don't like the stripes. They look like they're there just to be there. The stripes would look better if they weren't cut off like that. Especially when they were going for an old school look with the front. But the rest isn't bad. Not great, but not terrible." 

Anyway, I really dig the new Pacers look. Like my better half, I would have preferred full stripes, but other than that, I think they look really good. 

With regard to the logos - the "seal of basketball" is pretty good. Then again, I love roundels so I'm an easy mark for that one. "We grow basketball here" is kinda stupid, but hey, it's a roundel. B) The other two don't do much for me. 

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

big mistake if you ask me; a marketing plan directing an identity. needs to go the other way

Agreed. With Gusto.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 7/29/2017 at 0:24 PM, habsfan1 said:

And that G on the NOB is so skinny! /s

Pretty sure the numbers are not stuck together and only looks that way due to how the jersey is folded.

On 28/07/2017 at 6:27 PM, DJT said:

IMG_3182.JPGFont looks better here. 

These look so bad. Everything about these uniforms are a downgrade from what they had. This is the worst set in team history, easily

I love nearly everything about the Pacers' new identity so far. It just fits for a basketball hotbed like Indiana. It has a bit of a traditional flare, but it doesn't feel derivative of a more established team's identity. And the cornrow pattern helps bring in a bit of a modern touch, to keep with the name "Pacers." 

They aren't perfect but they hit all the right notes for me.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:40 PM, hokupguy said:

i did rebrand in nba 2k17 for the pacers few months back i think mine look better then what they have , maybe it my age or just me.

4_zpshq1rhjlf.PNG

2_zpsxjepeh9w.PNG

1_zpsphsdj8q1.PNG

What arena template did you use for this? They only have numbers assigned to them.

Still hate the primary logo for being boring and not symbolizing Indiana, BUT the new jerseys are awesome. A unique wordmark for the NBA and I love the side-panels. 

I get the font/spacing criticisms but this may be the best they've ever looked.

EDIT: The one thing that kinda bothers me is a one-color collar. Always seems cheap for some reason.

And further confirmation that this Nike bull :censored: on the back-arm piping is a big mistake. Why create a template that forces limitations on EVERY team? 

I'm not sure if I am a big fan of the full name? I think leaving Indiana on the top arch and enlarging it some would make this 10x better.

And, as noted previously, I am not a fan of the number font either. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

7 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

Would the Pacers even benefit from having checkered flag side panels?

Not full time. But, I could see their Community Edition having them. Makes sense.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

The cornrow idea is an interesting concept and I like it on the side-panels. And as somebody had already said here, they also resemble speed lines that fit the Pacers moniker. The execution just isn't there, there's too much going on with lines facing in different directions together with the triangles connecting to the armholes and the logo panel on the shorts.

The front of the jersey is a disaster, though, that destroys this set. It doesn't go together with anything else, with the totally unnecessary full team name around the number, the ugly Agency font and the white outlines on the navy jersey that make the wordmark look even worse.

Archived