Binghamton Devils New Look

Underdog519

I may be in the minority but I don't mind when teams where similar looks to their parent clubs.  Also the Devils (2016 not 2017) look is one of my favorite non-original six  looks.  With that said, this isn't awful but could be better if they take out the dual color look of the shield and if they get rid of the light red/orange out of the side logo.

This logo is not good. The horns feel like they're in the wrong place, like they're too high and not far enough to the side, the visor looks like a mask or bandana, and the devil looks like he has a ponytail with a pointed end. Then, the flaming puck looks like a Star Wars insignia of some sort, like a discount version of the rebel logo. Not to mention the letters in the DEVILS wordmark being kerned so tightly that the S is top heavy.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

I'm glad they did something other than lazily ape the parent club for a change. The main logo seems all out of sorts, though, and the new uniform is certified trash. I do like the wordmark with the horns and tail, though, and I love the pitchfork puck. So overall, a couple of small good parts, and a couple of large bad ones, I guess.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Shame, too.  There were some great and simple concepts out there, building on the New Jersey brand. 

dribbble_small.png

I actually like that better than the original. 

Scott Markiewicz did an amazing concept, would have much rather seen something like this happen.

C38gRtaWMAExhEq.jpg

I'm okay with the fun idea of the devil wearing a helmet. The helmet is very well-illustrated, although too much for a logo. It's the visor and inversed eyebrows that ruin this for me. They are stylized so different than the helmet, and their light source is not consistent with the light source on the helmet. On the helmet, the left and right side are mirror images of each other, but then for some reason the lighting on the left and right side of the visor are inverses of each other. It's not a terrible logo, but it has flaws, and even the lettering already looks dated 15-20 years.

I honestly don't mind this.  The helmeted devil is corny, but HE'S PROMOTING SAFETY.  The tail part is lazily done, sure, but again - minor league stuff here, folks.  If you're going to be cool praising the merits of a bat-swinging banana and lauding over the design excellence that is the Fresno Tacos, you have to cut some slack to these minor league teams choosing fun over dignity. 

Yeah, the deviled-B concepts are pretty, but I don't want my minor league teams trying to be so straightforward and ripped from the mother-club.  To me, personally anyway, I feel like this is a cost-saving move, as they can generally use hand-me-down uniforms and merchandise to second-hand their way into only paying for patches/crests/etc.  It's frugal and smart to an extent, but also really uninventive.

The devil obviously still allows for this to go on to some extent, but at least he's got personality.  Plus it's THE DEVIL.  I can't imagine how many people this design had to go through to get approved - SATAN is finally on a sports uniform, and I'm sure there will be some crab-ass old do-gooders pissing in the ears of local newspaper comment section editors once this logo starts appearing on the clothing of smiling children.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived