Changes to Titans uniforms in 2018 are 'not minor'

Jezus_Ghoti

15 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

You could just make their helmets white so that one of these looks could be an alternate. 

Just like the prototype/original helmet.

McNair-10th-Wallpaper-1280X800.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

I had actually mocked this up last night --

You could just make their helmets white so that one of these looks could be an alternate. 

5R30lde.png

Putting the pants stripes (red/blue/red) on the helmet would make me a bigger fan of the white helmet idea.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Putting the pants stripes (red/blue/red) on the helmet would make me a bigger fan of the white helmet idea.

Yeah i'm definitely glad they went with navy helmets. I don't think the white work with this set. 

8 hours ago, C-Squared said:

That it simply exists doesn't make it a success.

The Cavs felt the need to make their C logo on black a major part of their identity after winning the NBA Championship in a black jersey that featured their C logo on black. 

As for sleeves? That was Adidas’ thing, and Nike obviously had no interest in continuing it. Still? The Cavs obviously felt strongly enough about keeping the “C on black” look around in some form. For obvious reasons. 

Within a month of their unveiling (& pre-Twitter boom), 25,000 fans signed an anti-slug petition. BUF acquiesced with throwbacks for 1/3 of their home games. This all happened before the 06/07 season. Five of the top 10 jerseys that year were Sabres, all of whom earned All-Stars bids (half the starting lineup was Sabres that year). Like @Cosmic said, the wheels fell off when Briere & Drury left. Without the "novelty of new," the loss of star players, & no bandwagon, the slug was salted - one of the shortest-lived rebrands in sports history. The actual fan base panned the slug before, during, and after its use.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove? I was an active member of these forums when the Buffaslug was unveiled. Hell, I even compiled a collection of links to all the appropriate Buffaslug threads from 2006 a year or so ago when some newer members wanted to see what the forum was saying about it. So I’ve actually revisited that particular CCSLC saga relatively recently. 

I’m well aware of the negative backlash, the fan petitions, the derision, and the last minute throwback alternate. 

I remember stuff a few years after the fact when the designer of the logo showed up, attempting to explain the process that lead to it, hoping that would change everyone’s mind. It did not work. Because the slug sucks, and I’ve never said anything to the contrary. 

Hell, I even bought a Buffaslug jersey for a friend who’s a Sabres fan as a joke, because I knew how much he hated it. I am well aware of how thoroughly ridiculed it was. 

I think some site members overvalue uni designs and ignore the full picture. 

I don’t think that’s what I’m doing. I mean I hate the Buffaslug uniforms. I think they’re some of, if not they, ugliest uniforms ever worn in the NHL. And are only saved from the top slot because the 90s alternate sweater boom happened. 

And I’m arguing that they could have been kept around had the team won a Cup in them. IE I’m arguing that despite the horrendous design? They could have stuck around if factors beyond the aesthetic fell a certain way. 

After all, we likely wouldn’t be seeing continued use of the Cavs’ C alone on a black background had they just lost in five to Golden State back in 2016. 

And yet that ugly jersey is part of the Cavs’ defining moment as a franchise. Funny how that works. 

You couldn't have picked a tougher target for a theory that hinges on “it didn't happen, but you cant prove it wouldn't have.”

You don’t seem to like conjecture, when conjecture is a perfectly reasonable avenue of discussion. And makes up at least half of what we do here :P

I mean you’re not even immune from it. Your argument that the Pats haven’t changed their Brady-era look yet purely because they have so many alternate options available. 

That is, in and of itself, conjecture. And that’s fine. I’m not busting your balls over it. 

Anyway yes. It is conjecture on my part that the Sabres would have kept the slug around had they won a Stanley Cup in them. 

I don’t think that’s an unreasonable position though. 

No wonder Dan Parker isn't banned ;)

I’m the one actually holding Danny Boy’s feet to the fire. 

So maybe pick something that makes sense next time you want to dis me. You’ve got plenty of material ;) 

18 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Anyway yes. It is conjecture on my part that the Sabres would have kept the slug around had they won a Stanley Cup in them. 

I don’t think that’s an unreasonable position though. 

With the amount of evidence I provided, I say yes, unreasonable.

You have belabored me into submission. Agree to disagree.

16 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'd say it's the other way around. Sure, the Texans may have a boring color scheme, but they make up for it with a dynamic logo that ties together state iconography. They also have an excellent minimalist uniform design, with the USC-style shoulder stripes and the colored collar. I like it more than the Oilers' design, which just does not resonate with me at all.

Indeed.

The only thing wrong with them is the name.  Keep everything else the same but make them the Houston Toros, and their identity instantly goes right near the top in the NFL.

23 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Really? The Texans have a far more solid brand and brand presence than the Bobcats ever did. This isn't a case where "the fans will only accept the franchise if it has the old name" like it was in Charlotte. The Texans have won more playoff games than the Bobcats, have been around for longer (16 years, compared to the Bobcats' 10), and have a firmer identity, with one uniform design that's gone mostly unchanged since inception. Compare that to the "musical chairs" nature of the Bobcats' uniforms, where they could never settle on a single look. People have accepted and embraced the Texans, and changing them back to the Oilers for nostalgia's sake would hurt that. Besides, we don't need people dicking around with the NFL records again, especially in a post-facto nature. 

Let the Oilers die and stay dead. 

I'll give you this, a white helmet would both look good for the team and enable a faux-Oilers throwback. That'd be neat.

Agreed. The Texans, even without much success on the football field, have established their brand. They also have one of the best helmet logos in football. 

Given how much the Oilers meant to that city, there should be a compromise that brings the past & present identities together. It could be as simple as the Texans keeping their logo and existing colors, but adding Columbia Blue to the color palette along with an Oilers-esqe jersey template.

This old concept (not by me) bridges the identities. 

IMG_8965.jpg

NYCdog.png

17 hours ago, daveindc said:

696x696.jpg

usa_today_10271846.0.jpg

Texas_flag_map.svg

Also, these colors go hand in hand with the identity. Changing it to columbia/powder blue wouldn't make any sense. 

I agree, but it technically should be a deep royal blue rather than the dark, almost navy blue they currently use.

15 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I understand your point...on the flipside, Luv Ya Blue and red had nothing to with oil, and many teams have colors that have nothing to do with the actual identity. Sometimes colors transcend the identity.

I think an identity based on a civic symbol has a tougher time working in a foreign color scheme. Certain symbols may be unique enough to transcend a single color scheme, and Tennesee’s three star roundel or maybe New Mexico’s sun icon come to mind (among others). Because the Texans’ mark is already an abstraction of the flag, though, I think it needs to retain the flag’s color scheme to maintain its connection.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

as a dallas stars and tennessee titans fan, who has both acquired a team from another market and lost my team from my state to another (but remained a fan), these discussions always just exhaust me.

being a fan of a team like this is like a constant decades long child custody dispute.

houston and tennessee both share the oilers legacy... you can't strip it completely from either, so just let it be what it is. the texans are a great identity. the titans are a unique identity. just sorta... cherish the oilers in your own way... in your memories. the team identity isn't around anymore, and we're just not GOING to do a hornets/pelicans thing, nor should we. let's stop wasting keystrokes pretending it might, or should, happen.

and navy has ALWAYS been a titans color, the primary for the majority of their existence... ditching a white helmet for a navy helmet has literally zero bearing on the texans existence at all. the exact same number of NFL teams are going to have navy as their primary color in 2018 as in 2017. i'm pretty sure the titans aren't going to look like the texans at the unveiling, so there's nothing at all to worry about here.

34 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

as a dallas stars and tennessee titans fan, who has both acquired a team from another market and lost my team from my state to another (but remained a fan), these discussions always just exhaust me.

being a fan of a team like this is like a constant decades long child custody dispute.

houston and tennessee both share the oilers legacy... you can't strip it completely from either, so just let it be what it is. the texans are a great identity. the titans are a unique identity. just sorta... cherish the oilers in your own way... in your memories. the team identity isn't around anymore, and we're just not GOING to do a hornets/pelicans thing, nor should we. let's stop wasting keystrokes pretending it might, or should, happen.

and navy has ALWAYS been a titans color, the primary for the majority of their existence... ditching a white helmet for a navy helmet has literally zero bearing on the texans existence at all. the exact same number of NFL teams are going to have navy as their primary color in 2018 as in 2017. i'm pretty sure the titans aren't going to look like the texans at the unveiling, so there's nothing at all to worry about here.

I've gotten past that point, too. I loved the football Oilers' identity, but what's been done is done. Granted, if I had any say, we'd still have the Tennessee Oilers (having the Titans remain a primarily Luv Ya Blue team is a reasonably close second), but the Titans are going on their 20th year as the Titans, who have worn primarily navy jerseys. My main concern is that their new uniforms look decent and that there's a good balance of colors (particularly that light blue).

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I think the Titans will go with a mostly navy uniform with more emphasis on silver, with a little columbia blue. I have a feeling their new uniforms will not be as good as what they are replacing. I hope the Titans prove me wrong.

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I think the Titans will go with a mostly navy uniform with more emphasis on silver, with a little columbia blue. I have a feeling their new uniforms will not be as good as what they are replacing. I hope the Titans prove me wrong.

I have a strong sense you may be correct.. I feel like they will be primarily a Navy/Silver team with Columbia Blue/Red accents.. 

Obviously Red will play more of a role now than before, but with Silver elbowing its way into the palette, that doesn't leave much ground for Red to gain, at least not without it coming at Columbia Blue's expense..

What I think they should/will do (based on leaks and with the caveat that Silver MUST be shoehorned in):

Silver Helmet - current logo, navy mask, I can live with the current stripes if need be..

Navy Jersey - Columbia Yoke, new # font, Red Nike swooshes, possibly 3-color #'s (White with  Silver/Columbia or Columbia/Red outlines)

Silver Pants - Navy side panel (like the Saints' gold pants design), Red swoosh

White Jersey - Navy Yoke, new font, Red swooshes, Navy #'s with Silver/Red or Columbia/Red outlines

Columbia Jersey - Navy Yoke, new font, Red swooshes, White #'s, Red/Navy or Red/Silver outlines

Basically, I think the jerseys will actually be similar to the current set in a lot of ways, but I'm concerned about how the addition of Silver and incorporation of more Red will affect the color balance and how "busy" the jerseys are.. If they go Navy helmets, I think that's a misstep, as White, Silver, and Columbia are all superior choices for them, BUT  I think if they go Navy helmets, it will actually result in a simpler uniform design, as Silver won't have to be forced into the jerseys as much..

Idk.. could be good, could be a fiasco.. *shrug*

I think the white helmet for the Texans looks much better mocked up into the complete uniform...it definitely loses head to head with the steel blue but with the complete uniform it looks decent plus it does give you the option to switch out the logo and mask to go with oilers fauxback colors. I think with the Texans logo and how much space it takes on the helmet stripes would just clutter the helmet. They will never change the helmet though...I don’t think. 

Archived