Changes to Titans uniforms in 2018 are 'not minor'

Jezus_Ghoti

25 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Does anyone else find it odd that the Titans are releasing commemorative logos for next season before launching their new identity? Seems like the other should come first.

You're right to a degree, but for the Titans it sounds like all logos and colors will be staying the same so it's not so weird in this case. If anything major changes, it will probably be color balance. 

spacer.png

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Iiiiiiinteresting... my old madden concept is looking more and more prophetic, as far as logos go. i hope. :)

DW2KvSvU0AAO5HP.jpg

you know.... if this logo lost the ribbon and replaced the 20 with the tennessee circle that belongs on the sword....... that would be a pretty sweet primary logo. it fixes all the complaints i have with the t-sword as a primary logo, and feels VERY "titan." just needs more columbia.

from this, i take a few things...

1, the logos and colors won't be drastically different...

2, silver is going to be utilized way more now than it ever was before.

3, columbia blue may be downgraded.... OR MAYBE, upgraded... and the logos don't feature a lot of columbia blue because they'll usually appear on a columbia background?

just spitballin'.

i can't wait to see these.

As a Titans fan, I hope this logo is  the direction they are heading. They use this font in their social media, and it would be great if it was universally applied to numerals on jerseys. Red should only be on the flames. Two-tone blue with silver is what the Titans should be. I

On 2/23/2018 at 7:20 AM, JagAaron33 said:

Columbia blue helmet!  Come on guys, at least kill the white helmet.

I've been a big advocate for this. Columbia helmet, gray facemask. Navy jersey, solid columbia numerals, greek meander as shoulder stripes. White or navy pants, with greek meander down the sides. Do it.

3 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

I have a feeling the sword will be the main. It's popping up more and more lately. Including recent press conference. The sword logo was featured during the new coach's press conference. 

Then Strunk must have been bluffing pretty hard when she acted so surprised to learn that people wanted to see the sword over the \\(T) at all.

19 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Does anyone else find it odd that the Titans are releasing commemorative logos for next season before launching their new identity? Seems like the other should come first.

Perhaps they are putting out a little taste so they can prepare for damage control in case the fan base goes berserk with anger. :P

On 2/14/2018 at 5:02 PM, PaleVermilion81 said:

So simple: make them white. Done.

As a Lions fan, I thought they low-contrast gray numbers were going to be an issue when they were first unveiled. But after watching a season's worth of games, I don't think they are. Yes, they're lower contrast, but now that everybody watches games on large hi-def TVs, it was never really a problem figuring out who was who. Numbers don't need to be enormous high-contrast block numbers any more.

I'm a uniform traditionalist, and I think the uniforms are pretty sweet.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

4 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

As a Lions fan, I thought they low-contrast gray numbers were going to be an issue when they were first unveiled. But after watching a season's worth of games, I don't think they are. Yes, they're lower contrast, but now that everybody watches games on large hi-def TVs, it was never really a problem figuring out who was who. Numbers don't need to be enormous high-contrast block numbers any more.

I'm a uniform traditionalist, and I think the uniforms are pretty sweet.

For quick player identification, it's still important

More vague non-information, but I feel obligated to post anyways. 

5Fqfj08.jpg

Apparently this guy works on the uniforms for the Madden games. It's interesting that people seem to kinda alternate between whether the uniform is drastically different or not. I was feeling a bit reassured after the new anniversary logo but now I am feeling a bit nervous again. It's going to be a long month. 

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

If he'd said it was just "different," I wouldn't be all that concerned.  But him adding the "very,very" part makes you really wonder what the heck they did to make him add that modifier.

If the shoulder yoke were gone, would that make it very-x2 different? How about if it had a normal or no stripe on the helmet OR if the helmet stripe were mimicked on the pants?

Just spitballin'

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

For quick player identification, it's still important

I believe that's exactly what he's referring to. I didn't watch any Lions games last year, but I'm watching some 2017 highlights right now and it really isn't difficult at all. I'm trying to compare how quickly I can tell which player I'm seeing by their number vs. how quickly I think that I would if they had white numbers instead, and I really don't think there's a major difference. It's near instantaneous for me either way. Those who are complaining about the legibility may be taking for granted how it can be pretty difficult to tell which player you're seeing regardless of their number color are because of how fast they are moving. I'd even say that seasoned fans of teams can tell which player they're seeing by their physical stature/position/accesories/etc. before they even need to see a number (E.g. I can usually tell Jalen Ramsey because he's usually the lanky, long-legged guy in the secondary with some arm bands and really short sani socks, whereas A.J. Bouye is similar but with one arm sleeve).

Something very interesting, actually, was that I had a much easier time identifying players in the Lions regular home jerseys than in their Thanksgiving throwbacks with the standard block silver numbers. This tells me that they designed the new font very well and that the grey outline that many initially believed to be extraneous may have been a smarter idea than we thought.

On 2/24/2018 at 8:18 PM, ColeJ said:

Iiiiiiinteresting... my old madden concept is looking more and more prophetic, as far as logos go. i hope. :)

DW2KvSvU0AAO5HP.jpg

you know.... if this logo lost the ribbon and replaced the 20 with the tennessee circle that belongs on the sword....... that would be a pretty sweet primary logo. it fixes all the complaints i have with the t-sword as a primary logo, and feels VERY "titan." just needs more columbia.

from this, i take a few things...

1, the logos and colors won't be drastically different...

2, silver is going to be utilized way more now than it ever was before.

3, columbia blue may be downgraded.... OR MAYBE, upgraded... and the logos don't feature a lot of columbia blue because they'll usually appear on a columbia background?

just spitballin'.

i can't wait to see these.

I mocked up what a logo might look like based on this. 

tEsBYVL.png

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

2 hours ago, j'villejags said:

I mocked up what a logo might look like based on this. 

tEsBYVL.png

I really think with addition of the Greek design that the inner circle with the state symbol has been dropped.  I certainly hope so as it would go a long way to de-clutter the look.

2 hours ago, Gupti said:

I believe that's exactly what he's referring to. I didn't watch any Lions games last year, but I'm watching some 2017 highlights right now and it really isn't difficult at all. I'm trying to compare how quickly I can tell which player I'm seeing by their number vs. how quickly I think that I would if they had white numbers instead, and I really don't think there's a major difference. It's near instantaneous for me either way. Those who are complaining about the legibility may be taking for granted how it can be pretty difficult to tell which player you're seeing regardless of their number color are because of how fast they are moving. I'd even say that seasoned fans of teams can tell which player they're seeing by their physical stature/position/accesories/etc. before they even need to see a number (E.g. I can usually tell Jalen Ramsey because he's usually the lanky, long-legged guy in the secondary with some arm bands and really short sani socks, whereas A.J. Bouye is similar but with one arm sleeve).

Something very interesting, actually, was that I had a much easier time identifying players in the Lions regular home jerseys than in their Thanksgiving throwbacks with the standard block silver numbers. This tells me that they designed the new font very well and that the grey outline that many initially believed to be extraneous may have been a smarter idea than we thought.

I'm aware of exactly what he's referring to.. I'm speaking as someone who has spent years in a press box calling football games on the radio, and as a kicking coach at the collegiate level who studies film.. Using the whole "high def tv" argument is completely bogus, when you're trying to identify 22 separate players in a pretty small area, particularly picking out 2-3 tacklers in the middle of a pile in real time for a radio broadcast, or identifying specific players in a scrum of guys for scouting reports.. It gets really old having to rewind the same play 5+ times just to see who some guy is.. The fact that a ball carrier in space or a lanky guy in the secondary can be quickly identified on HDTV is irrelevant.. Number visibility is extra important in situations when it's not that easy to identify the players.. Sure, fans pay more attention to ball carriers and db's, but fans aren't the only ones watching the game.. 

Also, I'd argue that your example regarding the throwbacks illustrates the general problem with silver numbers on a relatively light blue jersey anyway.. A big reason numbers should typically be white on colored jerseys.. The Saints and Raiders make it work, but those are on black, which makes a huge difference.. 

Archived