Changes to Titans uniforms in 2018 are 'not minor'

Jezus_Ghoti

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Changes to Titans uniforms in 2018 are 'not minor'

That's a shame, because the uniforms are a couple minor changes away from being perfect.

Is this the unpopular opinion thread?

43 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

Whatever they do...pretty please don't go Florida State with that Greek pattern on the uniforms.

FSU's main problem is the drastic contrast between the garnet and gold/beige. If the Titans did go all out with a pattern, it may look fine with navy and "luv ya" blues.

On 8/2/2017 at 2:55 PM, whitedawg22 said:

I'm hopeful they reclaim the baby-blue and red look of the old Oilers. It's an attractive combo that would be completely unique among NFL teams, which isn't something that can be said about anything using navy.

5c364a6da84696ed4066a7c54561c01d-getty-88157282jr015_hall_of_fame_game_medium.jpg

No. Leave the past where it belongs... in Houston. It's bad enough they actually trotted out as the Tennessee Oilers for a few seasons. This is now Tennessee's team and the franchise should attempt to create a new unique identity for this era, not forcing an old Houston Oilers look into a new Tennessee Titans identity. 

If Amy Adams Strunk is ok with it, the Oilers brand should go back to it's home city, a la the Hornets to Charlotte. Im not sure how much the Houston Oilers brand & memorabilia is appreciated in Nashville but I'm sure fans in Houston would probably appreciate it more because it's their actual history. 

NYCdog.png

5 minutes ago, NYCdog said:

No. Leave the past where it belongs... in Houston. It's bad enough they actually trotted out as the Tennessee Oilers for a few seasons. This is now Tennessee's team and the franchise should attempt to create a new unique identity for this era, not forcing an old Houston Oilers look into a new Tennessee Titans identity. 

If Amy Adams Strunk is ok with it, the Oilers brand should go back to it's home city, a la the Hornets to Charlotte. Im not sure how much the Houston Oilers brand & memorabilia is appreciated in Nashville but I'm sure fans in Houston would probably appreciate it more because it's their actual history. 

You say that like that time I went to a Tennessee Oilers game against the Jags at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis didn't happen. 

3 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

You say that like that time I went to a Tennessee Oilers game against the Jags at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis didn't happen. 

Its happened, just not many there to witness that injustice lol

oct-1997-general-view-of-a-game-between-

NYCdog.png

jesus. just when i think we're done with the "north stars belong in minnesota" debate, i get a "oilers don't belong in tennessee" debate.

as an adopted texan, both franchises deserve their own history.

anyway, that mascot's new "logo" sure reminds me a lot of the concept i made in madden for the titans a few years ago.

1082584_10151749790961480_943959499_o.jp

if that's the direction they plan to go, i'm 500% on board.

titanslogo_zps6559400d.png

endzone.png

The current uniforms are really good.  I'd just change the number font, maybe work in some more red, and make the helmet logo one that's more compatible with traditional helmet stripes.

The template is fine.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, ColeJ said:

jesus. just when i think we're done with the "north stars belong in minnesota" debate, i get a "oilers don't belong in tennessee" debate.

anyway, that mascot's new "logo" sure reminds me a lot of the concept i made in madden for the titans a few years ago.

Me too. I love that concept of yours, @ColeJ. I'd love it if there's any way to incorporate more red (and maybe a little less navy) into a look like that (which was hard for you to do IIRC), that would knock such a look out of the park.

I really hope that's the direction the Titans go, but I'm doubtful.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

3 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Agreed.

I'd go a step further. Just revert the Titans back to being the Oilers. We live in a world with the Los Angeles Lakers, the Utah Jazz, and the Calgary Flames. "Tennessee Oilers" isn't that egregious by those standards.

On 9/11/2017 at 10:47 PM, NYCdog said:

Its happened, just not many there to witness that injustice lol

oct-1997-general-view-of-a-game-between-

I know the point of the picture is to show the contempt/ambivalence of Memphis towards a team that wasn't theirs, but if we ignore the stands, that's a hell of a good looking game.

baNFEEP.png

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The current uniforms are really good.  I'd just change the number font, maybe work in some more red, and make the helmet logo one that's more compatible with traditional helmet stripes.

The template is fine.

I've been a silent defender of their numbers. I actually quite like them. They look pretty good and they're unique. The shoulder yokes were unique until the Buccaneers ruined their own look, but even then it still looks unique and good. I do worry if working in more red would become cluttered. It's not impossible to make the red work with something similar to what they have now, but I know that adding a fourth color to the scheme (beyond a small part of the logo) is a recipe for bad things in the wrong hands. And at this point, I just assume all of the hands are bad, which is why I'm almost on the side of "leave it alone" even though I don't care for the Titans' logo. 

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Agreed.

I'd go a step further. Just revert the Titans back to being the Oilers. We live in a world with the Los Angeles Lakers, the Utah Jazz, and the Calgary Flames. "Tennessee Oilers" isn't that egregious by those standards.

I'm also in this camp. For one, names practically mean nothing for the vast majority of major professional sports teams. Plus, while the Titans mostly look good, we're currently without what was arguably the best look in all of football. I'm sure there's oil somewhere in Tennessee. And if not, most people in Tennessee have driven in or ridden in a car, which requires oil, so there. It's not like it was the Houston Texans that moved to Nashville and used their old name for a while.

Plus, if you're not going to use your old name, I feel like it's only right to leave the name behind. I'm not saying we need to have a Browns deal here, but there's no point in Houston not being allowed to use the Oilers name if the team that changed their name has no interest in using it. 

On 9/13/2017 at 3:34 AM, Red Wolf said:

I'm also in this camp. For one, names practically mean nothing for the vast majority of major professional sports teams. Plus, while the Titans mostly look good, we're currently without what was arguably the best look in all of football. I'm sure there's oil somewhere in Tennessee. And if not, most people in Tennessee have driven in or ridden in a car, which requires oil, so there. It's not like it was the Houston Texans that moved to Nashville and used their old name for a while.

Oil in Tennessee, you say?  :P

jed.gif

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On topic . . . 

I am also of the opinion that the Titans are pretty close to a good uniform set as is.  My tweaks:

1.  Change the number font.  The modern/Rollerball font doesn't fit the classic Greek motif.

2.  Stick with white pants full time (maybe occasional navy with the white jersey, but they look unbalanced with the white helmets, just like the Jets).

3.  Navy primary jersey, columbia blue alt.

4.  Change the helmet logo to something like ColeJ's concept.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I hated the Titans uniforms when they were first released, but they've grown on me. I would put a more traditional stripe on the helmet that matches the pants stripe and clean up the helmet logo. That's it. 

On September 12, 2017 at 9:07 PM, ColeJ said:

titanslogo_zps6559400d.png

endzone.png

This is awesome! I especially love the Greek striping pattern inside the columbia blue stripe on the helmet, jersey, pants and socks...

On 9/12/2017 at 10:11 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Agreed.

The ideal situation is that the Oilers never changed their name,* but since they've been the Titans for 20 years, I can settle with the Titans having a few homages to the Oilers. You know, stuff like a luvya-blue-dominant color scheme, reserved uniform design, white or light blue helmets, a little more red (though light blue/navy works for them too), the 60s number font,** and so forth.

Of course, the Titans are a few steps away from that now (new number font, non-tapering helmet stripes, de-flame the thumbtack or de-thumbtack the flame, etc.). That said, we're probably going to get a navy monochrome home set with red trim and neglible luvya blue and the helmet stripes, logo, and number font will probably not change, but we can at least speculate and hope that the Titans organization has a little more sense than that.

*IIRC Bud Adams wanted to keep it, but Tennesseeans (sp?) did not, hence the Titans name came to be.

**If they insist on a proprietary font because all teams undergoing change seem to insist on a proprietary font; see Browns.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

On 9/15/2017 at 9:04 PM, bootscallahan said:

I hated the Titans uniforms when they were first released, but they've grown on me. I would put a more traditional stripe on the helmet that matches the pants stripe and clean up the helmet logo. That's it. 

Their logo doesn't work with a traditional stripe.  Just the circle T* logo would.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wellp, the Titans treated us to a rare sight yesterday...

bradyjagsjpg-104e947c71509e76.thumb.jpg.3c97a4c5d1dc61614c5ada4927d7d8a1.jpg

I think its been a  minute since they broke out this combo. I forgot how sharp it looks. That's how an alternate uniform should work. (I think the Carolina Panthers are the only other team whose alternate look could be considered better than either of their primary home/away looks.) I'm enjoying these now, because I  in no way shape or form optimistic about what's coming down the "pike" for the Titans starting next season--especially if they allowed Nike to steer the ship on this upcoming rebrand. It's not worth hashing the predictable and/or derivative "design cues" indicative of Nike's M.O. over recent years (unnecessary grey, overdesigned robotic numbers/font, patterns just for the fun of it, yada yadda yadda), so I'll  leave my recent refresh of a Titans identity here that I've kept stashed for about a good year or two (& never did fully complete). This pulls from one of my now-six-year-old Titans concepts of the past, except in the current colorway rather than that of the hometown brethren Predators. Have at it...

TENtitans_dribbleshot4.png.d90d6ce7b3f3aa563fedd4dd3d6b339e.pngTENtitans_dribbleshot2.png.5f8b96c253ac8f0f6dca4b4540020bf4.pngTENtitans-sketch5.thumb.png.3ee3bdfa55c55514fd93f4393e1f108b.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived