Changes to Titans uniforms in 2018 are 'not minor'

Jezus_Ghoti

Is it a foregone conclusion that the flaming thumbtack is going to remain on the helmets?  I know it's featured prominently in their new facilities, but couldn't it remain the primary logo while not being used on the helmets?  Man, I hate that thing, and the T is so much better.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, JagAaron33 said:

You're so fast, Clay!

Also, this is interesting: "“You take our name, the Titans, and in Greek mythology they were gods, giant gods,” Strunk said. “The thing that Nike started from the beginning was, Titans, it’s superiority. So we wanted that feel. It is going to be what you think of a Titan."

I actually wouldn’t mind if the Titans went the supersized logo route. Would fit them much more than the Bucs.

everything about these uniforms sounds like the lovechild of the Argos and Patriots. The previous look had its issues but I think we’ll be looking at it fondly in a couple of weeks

07Giants.pngnyy.png

6 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

I actually wouldn’t mind if the Titans went the supersized logo route. Would fit them much more than the Bucs.

everything about these uniforms sounds like the lovechild of the Argos and Patriots. The previous look had its issues but I think we’ll be looking at it fondly in a couple of weeks

I guess they could shift the whole thing forward on the helmet, but the dimensions of the logo don't afford much space for growth as it is:

AP_17002034970243.jpg

(one last shoutout to the old set and its tasteful, effective use of red)

I posted in the other thread how, if they are running with a navy helmet, they could drop the navy from the logo, and that might let them enlarge it a bit more.

10 hours ago, burgundy said:

Titans%20Teaser_zpslvcwdj0j.png

What is this? It can't be the front of the jersey because there's not that much space between the collar and numbers.

Please don't be pants

Please don't be pants

Please don't be pants

Please don't be pants

Please don't be pants...

Why is it using the OLD Wordmark though? I thought we were getting a new wordmark? It's used everywhere, or are we gonna be dumb like the Rams and have two different ones depending on how they feel?

bSLCtu2.png

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Damn shame if they lose the yoke.  That's an element with a long history in the NFL.

d7417a49f51e48dafbd2a4a3177b875b.jpg  c86c48f095837f2ad9b52260e68995bb--sports

It does, but I'm not so sure it's relevant today, just as long sleeves aren't.  Tennessee was one of the last major teams wearing that design element (outside of Tampa Bay, if you want to call that the same, and I'm not counting any of the horrible Reebok designs for away uniforms of the Bengals & Cardinals), and at the high school level, it's actually illegal, so it's not something the uniform manufacturers are going to lean toward since NFL unis are often emulated.  Some design elements endure, some become dated, and I think a contrasting color jersey joke panel on modern football uniforms is certainly in the latter.  It also adds an extra template modification and additional construction for Nike, so I'm assuming they've nixed it.

13 hours ago, burgundy said:

Titans%20Teaser_zpslvcwdj0j.png

What is this? It can't be the front of the jersey because there's not that much space between the collar and numbers.

Please don't be pants

Please don't be pants

Please don't be pants

Please don't be pants

Please don't be pants...

Most likely the wordmark being stitched onto the jersey fabric before final construction.  The only other possibility is that they'll feature the wordmark on the back of the waistband, and this is the fabric, again, prior to construction.  

1 hour ago, Volt said:

It does, but I'm not so sure it's relevant today, just as long sleeves aren't.  Tennessee was one of the last major teams wearing that design element (outside of Tampa Bay, if you want to call that the same, and I'm not counting any of the horrible Reebok designs for away uniforms of the Bengals & Cardinals), and at the high school level, it's actually illegal, so it's not something the uniform manufacturers are going to lean toward since NFL unis are often emulated.  Some design elements endure, some become dated, and I think a contrasting color jersey joke panel on modern football uniforms is certainly in the latter.  It also adds an extra template modification and additional construction for Nike, so I'm assuming they've nixed it.

It’s two tone silver

15 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

I still believe that the Titans are trolling all of us, and are intentionally trying to lead us down the wrong path

It's all as obtuse as the "next time on" previews at the end of Mad Men episodes.

20 hours ago, mjd77 said:

Well, maybe if that lumps in the Oilers history and their classic look.

The only time “iconic” and “Tennessee Titans” should be used in the same sentence is “The Tennessee Titans are returning to their previous iconic identity and will take the field as the Tennessee Oilers.”

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

The only time “iconic” and “Tennessee Titans” should be used in the same sentence is “The Tennessee Titans are returning to their previous iconic identity and will take the field as the Tennessee Oilers.”

Bring back the glory days of the Oilers playing at the Liberty Bowl! 

14 hours ago, jerrylawless3 said:

I’m holding out on the hope that that’s just a sample fabric (what they were talking about at that point in the video) with the wordmark stitched in. 

Bit it’s probably the pants.

I don't think it would be embroidered if it was the pants (At least not down the side of them)

4 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Look at Nike's NFL track record, Seahawks, Browns, Lions, Dolphins, and Buccaneers all have weird wordmarks somewhere on the uniform. Chances are the Titans will have the same.

wasn't there a teaser shot of the wordmark above numbers?

1 hour ago, ScubaSteve said:

I still believe that the Titans are trolling all of us, and are intentionally trying to lead us down the wrong path

Watch ... the only thing is changing is their pants. Biggest trolling ever!

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

29 minutes ago, kimball said:

Watch ... the only thing is changing is their pants. Biggest trolling ever!

For the way they are hyping this up I hope they are aware of the backlash they will get if they screw this up.

2 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

For the way they are hyping this up I hope they are aware of the backlash they will get if they screw this up.

There's never a backlash at first.  No matter how much people like us bash them, the fans will go out and buy thousands of jerseys on day one, and swear they're the best uniforms in the league.  (Go back and look... this is exactly what happened in Cleveland.) It takes a bit of time for the ugliness to overcome the home fan's beer google and then they'll turn on them. (Again, see Cleveland.)

Just now, oldschoolvikings said:

There's never a backlash at first.  No matter how much people like us bash them, the fans will go out and buy thousands of jerseys on day one, and swear they're the best uniforms in the league.  (Go back and look... this is exactly what happened in Cleveland.) It takes a bit of time for the ugliness to overcome the home fan's beer google and then they'll turn on them. (Again, see Cleveland.)

Also, there’s the question of winning. If the team wins out of the gate while wearing the new duds, they’ll stick for a bit (Seattle Seahawks, Buffalo Sabres, etc.). If their losing increases (see Cleveland Browns), the fans will hate them faster.

7 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Also, there’s the question of winning.

I don't think there's any real causation.

If the team wins out of the gate while wearing the new duds, they’ll stick for a bit (Seattle Seahawks, Buffalo Sabres, etc.).

drurybriere.jpg

These unis were first worn by arguably the best team in Sabres history. Fans still revolted and the look was ditched within four years.

If their losing increases (see Cleveland Browns), the fans will hate them faster.

drew-bledsoe-bills.jpg

The Bills clung to these "drought duds" for nine seasons without any major fan objections.

2 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I don't think there's any real causation.

drurybriere.jpg

These unis were first worn by arguably the best team in Sabres history. Fans still revolted and the look was ditched within four years.

drew-bledsoe-bills.jpg

The Bills clung to these "drought duds" for nine seasons without any major fan objections.

Sure, but there are examples on both sides of that argument. 

These monstrosities are beloved by the fans of the team;

7fb0f874-7879-11e7-a1a9-4f8ddd191a99-780

Archived