Oklahoma City Thunder x Nike Concepts

JPDesign

I just worked on some concepts for my friends at Daily Thunder, so I thought I'd share them with you all here as well:

Concept 1:

Concept-1.thumb.jpg.814601a18107a33d55663af387bde504.jpg

For this uniform set, I decided to take a guess at what I think the Thunder's uniforms could look like next season. The Association and Icon uniform have already been revealed, so I didn't change anything there. For the Athlete design, I chose to bring back the Thunder pride uniform from the last few years, sans sleeves. The new one here is the Community design, which mimics the design elements we've seen on social media and showcases "Loud City" across the chest.

Concept 2:

Concept-2.thumb.jpg.a83bb04457c0d6d52506d650f7738641.jpg

Here I wanted to take what we've seen on social media lately, and blow it out into an entire set of uniforms. The Association keeps the same wordmark from the current jersey but adds the clean lightning-inspired side panels. For the Icon jersey I separated "Oklahoma" and "City" with the number in between, something I've always wanted to see the Thunder do with their blue jerseys. The Athlete jersey uses predominately navy with a "Thunder" wordmark. And lastly, the Community uniform brings back the sunset uniform with the updated design details.

Concept 3:

Concept-3.thumb.jpg.a71f48fd5fac8e060143e860fe20ec95.jpg

On this concept, I wanted to try and use the Thunder's colors in combinations we've not seen before, while introducing a clean, modern design. I also wanted to explore a set with "OKC" on all jerseys except the Association jersey. The new striping and side panels follow the new Nike template, finished off with an oversized Thunder logo on the left side of the shorts.

Concept 4:

Concept-4.thumb.jpg.bf1c590033a99b3353e5544ee4d2c2bb.jpg

For this design, I really wanted to create something that felt classic and modern...and introduce lightning bolts, which honestly just feels too right for the Thunder. I swear I did this design before the Pacers unveiling last week, but at the time I thought the full circle wordmark was a unique way to deal with the long length of "Oklahoma City." The classic block numbers with a subtle drop shadow, OKC on the belt, and lightning basketball on the shorts drive home the classic modern feel.

Concept 5:

Concept-5.thumb.jpg.f1ddb50c33d28c715db8dd6b290ff466.jpg

With this look I created something that nods to the Automobile Alley history of OKC with a classic car vibe. The Association and Icon versions retain the white and blue designs, while the Athlete design introduces a black and anthracite uniform that I think a lot of Thunder fans would get excited about. The Community design is a modern update of the sunset concept with retro striping.

Concept 6:

Concept-6.thumb.jpg.d0a322447ef11df79ea2b2bd9ba7d4ff.jpg

On the last concept, I wanted to create something that could stand the test of time. Classic striping, clean block numbers and wordmarks, and iconic lightning bolt shorts stripes come together to make a uniform set that I think could be an instant classic. Association and Icon once again remain white and blue respectively, while the Athlete version goes with a bold black "storm" look and the Community version reinvents the "sunset" alternate.

As a whole, I really like this.

I'm not a fan of concept 6, I feel as if that style doesn't really suit the Thunder. The font gives off too much of a north carolina feel, especially on the Icon. The lighting bolt side stripe is pretty cool though. I'm also not a fan of concept 4, purely because I'm not a fan of the whole circle wordmark thing.

I like how in concept 1 you bought back the white alt jersey without the sleeves as the Athlete jersey. That alt was one of my personal favorite jerseys. 

I also really love the jersey/side striping in concept 3, it really cleans up OKC's look. I love everything about that set apart from the orange wordmark and numbers on the Icon jersey.

Nice job, and I'd love to see what ideas you have for other teams.

I9SoMSI.png

29308567630_9f30c1e63c_o.png

chi2.png

40136204761_246372f921_c.jpg 

Wow JP! As a fellow Thunder fan, these all look great to me. It's an excellent presentation. I love your template, and the subtle details you've added -- especially the nameplates on the back of the uniforms. Nice touch! I've always liked the work you've shared here, and this is no exception. My comments below include some nitpicking, but I just wanted to add some commentary on what I like and what I might have done a little differently.

Overall, 6 would get my vote. If I were ranking them #1-6, I'd go 6, 4, 5, 2, 1, 3. In reverse order --

For 6 -- I love the simplicity of the trim and the block font/numbers, while the bolt on the side adds some flair. My only tweak would be on the orange set. I probably would have made the bolt navy, and tried to eliminate all of the white trim. That being said, I can see why you used the white accents, and it ultimately keeps the whole set consistent. Maybe that is for the best.

For 5 -- That anthracite uniform is awesome. I love the idea of a "storm cloud" colored uniform for OKC, and I had used that general idea for a color in my own concept a while back. I absolutely love scripts on uniforms, but I'm not completely sold on this one -- the script looks a bit smushed for some reason. I don't care for shoulder yokes in general, so removing those would be more of a preference for me. The orange uniform is a clever play on the "sunset" uniforms.

For 4 -- I really like the fauxback feel you went with here. The orange set is giving me 90s Cavs, or Syracuse vibes (not that it's a bad thing). For the sake of consistency, I'd remove the white from the logo on the orange shorts. The bolt placement on the N in Thunder is genius. I usually don't care for drop shadows, but it just works here. I think this look would fit OKC quite nicely, and may be the most fitting of them all. 

For 3 -- This set reminds me of the Clippers' uniforms.  I'm usually not a fan of panels and piping in general. I don't care for the oversized logo on the shorts, only because I don't like the logo. I don't think this set would necessarily age well. 

For 2 -- I like the striping you went with. It looks good from the front, but I do wonder what the back of the uniform would look like. It's hard to tell, and that seems to be the only limitation with your template. I'd consider mixing up the colors of the stripes. For example, I'd replace the white stripe with orange on the icon/away set. I know you used the existing wordmarks/numbers for the sake of this concept, but I do think it would look better without those outlines. That's probably my biggest gripe on the existing set -- (most notably the orange outlines on the blue wordmark for the home whites). It'd look cleaner to me without the outlines. Putting the block font you used for 6 on 2 would make this set much better in my opinion. 

For 1 -- While I think OKC's existing uniform set has a lot of room for improvement, I don't think it's as bad as most make it out to be. Simplifying the color palette on the uniforms (and logo) would be a great start. 

All of these look like they could be "leaks" for OKC's new uniforms (whenever that time comes). You've really done a great job here. 

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Concepts 4 & 6 are amazing. The Thunder look really good stripped back and retrofitted like that.

Concept 2 is close to a winner too, although i am think the home & road need more accent colours (the way navy features on the home whites, and orange on the road blues in concept #3) and the navy alternative would look better with the lettering inversed (orange with a blue or white outline instead).

Concept 5 would have been a real fresh look for the team when they originally relocated too. The black-on-black looks sharp.

On 8/1/2017 at 2:26 PM, JPDesign said:

Concept 5:

Concept-5.thumb.jpg.f1ddb50c33d28c715db8dd6b290ff466.jpg

With this look I created something that nods to the Automobile Alley history of OKC with a classic car vibe. The Association and Icon versions retain the white and blue designs, while the Athlete design introduces a black and anthracite uniform that I think a lot of Thunder fans would get excited about. The Community design is a modern update of the sunset concept with retro striping.

This is the best set by far, except the orange uniform. It is essentially a recolored Arizona Wildcats basketball uniform, thats my only complaint!

a2BRS8U.png

Concept 1 - This is a reasonable and fairly nice-looking projection for what their complete set may ultimately end up looking like. I'm not a fan of logos in place of wordmarks, city nicknames over actual names, nor the rounded lightning bolt imagery, but all four uniforms are clean and inoffensive. 

Concept 2 - Rounded lightning bolt imagery aside, I really like the color balance across this set. I wouldn't have expected the icon to work as well as it does sans orange, but I really like the simplicity of it. Also, the numerals being placed in between the 'OKLAHOMA' and 'CITY' scripts on the Icon Edition works so much better than their current layout. Very well done!

Concept 3 - I'm not a fan of this set. While I agree it's modern, I wouldn't say it's clean -- too many clashing angles between the rounded cutoff collars, the linear jersey trim, and the rounded shorts trim with angled color blocking. As uninteresting as OKC's current set is, the one thing it has going for it is the fact that it's clean and free of clutter.

Concept 4 - This set is definitely my favorite! It's clean, classic, and free of clutter, but has an interesting design with the wordmark roundel around the numerals and makes excellent use of the their color palette. The only detail I'd consider omitting would be the lightning bolt in the 'N' of the 'THUNDER' script on the Athlete's Mindset Edition. Other than that, this set is outstanding! 

Concept 5 - The shorts across the board on this set are all terrific! The jerseys aren't bad, but could use some tweaking in my opinion....never been a fan of any design elements above the shoulders, plus the 'Thunder' script feels a bit odd and the serifed numerals clash a bit.

Concept 6 - I'm not a big fan of this lightning bolt imagery either, and something about this set feels oddly sterile for a team nicknamed the Thunder and led by Russell Westbrook. I don't mind the classic design you're aiming for here, but single-color block wordmarks and numerals with no other interesting features aside from a meh lightning bolt just doesn't seem to fit their identity as well as some of the other concepts you've designed.

This is a very fun project to browse and analyze -- I really only browse basketball concepts on these boards, but rarely, if ever, have I seen someone post several different takes on a singular team. I struggle to come up with a single idea for a team at times, so I really admire your creativity as well as your execution on this project. Thanks for sharing it!

Archived