Sign in to follow this  
Ice_Cap

WWE SummerSlam: 20 August 2017

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Canada (anywhere), Chicago, Phila, ny, stl(?), could probably fill 50k if they had that size venue. Phila does not. 

The challenge is having a domed baseball stadium. Otherwise, you have arenas or football-sized stadiums, and not much in-between. And the only real in-between is in places with small domed football stadiums (Idaho comes to mind), but those places can't draw.

Given how often Mania is a letdown in the recent past, I'm surprised they haven't done more to build up the Rumble as an event. We know that SummerSlam is the number 2 show of the year, but we also really know that the Rumble is probably the most anticipated one.

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

We got a cash-in early!!

And Corbin lost!

Nice swerve, WWE.

Another one buried by Super Cena...not only for Corbin, but it seems that Cena is POISON to the MITB itself.  (See Sandow in '13 as well as his own cash-in the year before)

I bet Corbin asks for his release by this time next week...

19 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

Another one buried by Super Cena...

We can't say that yet until Cena pins Corbin clean in a burial type fashion, if that happens. He cost Corbin his match vs Jinder via distraction. Cena hasn't pinned him yet.

Maybe they did it to add heat to their match next sunday because it was thrown together at the last minute without any good reason, other than to get Cena on the card.

Just now, habsfan1 said:

We can't say that yet until Cena pins Corbin clean in a burial type fashion, if that happens. He cost him his match vs Jinder via distraction. Cena hasn't pinned him yet.

Maybe they did it to add heat to the match next sunday because it was thrown together at the last minute without any good reason, other than to get Cena on the card. 

Even if he DOES win Sunday...this just feels like Creative's way of saying "Corbin will NEVER be champion...DEAL WITH IT."

28 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The challenge is having a domed baseball stadium. Otherwise, you have arenas or football-sized stadiums, and not much in-between. And the only real in-between is in places with small domed football stadiums (Idaho comes to mind), but those places can't draw.

Given how often Mania is a letdown in the recent past, I'm surprised they haven't done more to build up the Rumble as an event. We know that SummerSlam is the number 2 show of the year, but we also really know that the Rumble is probably the most anticipated one.

The claim 52K last year, but wanted 10K more to beat the Rumble record of 20 Years ago.

I do think where it falls on their calendar still poses a little difficulty. Tickets went on sale this month, right when back to school shopping kicked into high gear.  Next thing you know, its Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then the December holidays. They had to have seen sales by month from Ticketmaster data on whether to try another stadium show. The Sunday before the Super Bowl is the right day, but the disposable income could be scarcer than thought.

8 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

Even if he DOES win Sunday...this just feels like Creative's way of saying "Corbin will NEVER be champion...DEAL WITH IT."

Yeah you could be right. That's another possibility. 

So they began grooming him for that next level by giving him the briefcase, then a new theme and tron...only to have him lose his cash-in in seconds?? Are they trolling the audience?

Just now, habsfan1 said:

Yeah you could be right.

So they began grooming him to that next level by giving him the briefcase, then a new theme and tron...only to have him lose his cash-in in seconds?? Are they trolling the audience?

On second thought...he's already won the Andre Battle Royal and Money in the Bank...with the initial reaction past me, I think they're saving his moment for something bigger and with more tradition than an MITB cash-in would have been...

He's gonna win the Rumble and be champ at Wrestlemania.

34 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

Another one buried by Super Cena...not only for Corbin, but it seems that Cena is POISON to the MITB itself.  (See Sandow in '13 as well as his own cash-in the year before)

I bet Corbin asks for his release by this time next week...

You need to seriously analyze what the term "buried" means in professional wrestling. That was far from it; it was a reason for people to give an absolute damn about his match with Cena at SummerSlam, which was seriously lacking prior.

If Corbin loses to Curt Hawkins then that is getting "buried"; if he enters a feud with John Cena, he's hardly getting "buried."

8 hours ago, Brass said:

You need to seriously analyze what the term "buried" means in professional wrestling. That was far from it; it was a reason for people to give an absolute damn about his match with Cena at SummerSlam, which was seriously lacking prior.

If Corbin loses to Curt Hawkins then that is getting "buried"; if he enters a feud with John Cena, he's hardly getting "buried."

OK, so maybe Corbin isn't getting buried...but I'll tell you some other things which did get buried:

• Mahal's credibility as WWE Champion (Seriously, he retains over a healthy, bigger competitor with ONE MOVE?  This is Fingerpoke of Doom-level insanity...of course, if he retains over Nak on Sunday, it could be restored.  Speaking of which, why was there no contract signing segment or anything else to build up that title feud?)
  • Cena's newfound reputation of setting aside his "Super Cena" ways to put new guys over (Though this is something they could easily fix with a Corbin win at SummerSlam)
  • The entire concept of Money in the Bank (Remember when being Mr. Money in the Bank actually meant something?  Pepperidge Farm remembers...I remember being this livid when Sandow lost his cash-in match and was subsequently buried.  Also, what was with the ref waiting for Mahal to recover first...does "anytime, anyplace" mean nothing?)
  • And last but not least, the WWE Championship (For those of you saying "Corbin's not ready, he's not good enough"...Corbin and Mahal's skill levels are about the same, and the match should NOT happen in THIS manner.  How is it that AJ-Owens is relegated to the US title feud, but this is for the main title?  Is there some backstage heat these guys are getting which the dirtsheets aren't reporting?)

Update on Ric Flair from his GF. He's still in critical condition...

“Just want to give an update to my friends and Family as I have been unable to talk on the phone without crying and just feel shocked over events….I took Ric to the Hospital Friday night with Severe Abdominal pain. From that moment on it all seems like a nightmare…multiple Organ problems. Not to go into too many details I want everyone to know he still needs Prayers as he is still in Critical Condition. And No he did not have Colon Surgery….It was another Surgery! I don’t know how the Media comes up with their stories. I have been by his side since Friday and will continue to make sure he is getting the best care possible. Thanks for all of the support and Love”

:unsure:

13 hours ago, MBurmy said:

OK, so maybe Corbin isn't getting buried...but I'll tell you some other things which did get buried:

• Mahal's credibility as WWE Champion (Seriously, he retains over a healthy, bigger competitor with ONE MOVE?  This is Fingerpoke of Doom-level insanity...of course, if he retains over Nak on Sunday, it could be restored.  Speaking of which, why was there no contract signing segment or anything else to build up that title feud?)
  • Cena's newfound reputation of setting aside his "Super Cena" ways to put new guys over (Though this is something they could easily fix with a Corbin win at SummerSlam)
  • The entire concept of Money in the Bank (Remember when being Mr. Money in the Bank actually meant something?  Pepperidge Farm remembers...I remember being this livid when Sandow lost his cash-in match and was subsequently buried.  Also, what was with the ref waiting for Mahal to recover first...does "anytime, anyplace" mean nothing?)
  • And last but not least, the WWE Championship (For those of you saying "Corbin's not ready, he's not good enough"...Corbin and Mahal's skill levels are about the same, and the match should NOT happen in THIS manner.  How is it that AJ-Owens is relegated to the US title feud, but this is for the main title?  Is there some backstage heat these guys are getting which the dirtsheets aren't reporting?)

yes, it meant that the holder was going to be champion, and the only intrigue was when.  It meant that someone's first title reign would come in a 5-second match over an already battered opponent.  I love the concept, but in reality it does more to devalue titles and devalue competitors. 

Also, what the hell is everyone's love of Corbin all about?  Is he an interesting character and I've somehow missed him showing even a single bit of charisma?  I guess he looks good - for a guy that can never take off his shirt.  He's certainly talented, but in no other era would we be talking about him as championship material.  Shows just how low the WWEC has fallen.

Anyone see the video of the boy smacked Alexa Bliss’s ass and the reaction of Nia Jax?

1 hour ago, Gary. said:

Anyone see the video of the boy smacked Alexa Bliss’s ass and the reaction of Nia Jax?

Nope. But there's this:

2 hours ago, Gary. said:

Nia's reaction was the absolute best part.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:38 PM, nuordr said:

His new theme song sucks: 

Never heard of the guy, but if his gimmick isn't "King of the Trailer park" or "alt-right Patriot"...

1 hour ago, charger77 said:

Ugly, every single one of them. Global Force Wrestling is only slightly less dumb than TNA Wrestling. That's their name, I get it, but they'd be way better off with a simpler "GFW (name of title)" structure. 

18 hours ago, Gary. said:

On 8/17/2017 at 6:25 PM, Atomic said:

Nope. But there's this:

All 6 episodes are up on WWE's Youtube, for those wondering....there's also merch on WWE shop.

On 8/17/2017 at 9:25 PM, charger77 said:

The highlighter green on the GFW Championship belt just does not go with the gold background one bit. Sticks out like a sore thumb, and the two colors clash terribly.

It kind of sticks out on the X-Division and Women's belts as well, but at least it doesn't clash quite as terribly with the silver background. Then again, I just don't like that shade of green in general, so perhaps I'm biased.

Pretty good designs otherwise, though. I dig the double eagle on the bottom of the GFW Champ's belt, and the eagle (derived from it) on the Tag Team belt.