National Floor Hockey League

DTConcepts

Here's a project I've been working pretty hard on for the last little while. I've put what little skill I have in creating logos into this, and think it's come out pretty well. So here it is, the National Floor Hockey League!

This takes place in an alternate-history-ish situation. In the early 1900's, indoor floor hockey became the summertime companion to the NHL and other ice hockey leagues, with local organizations and leagues sprouting up in established hockey markets, such as in Colorado, the Pacific Northwest, California, the Chicago-area, and the Northeast. Canada was not as interested in the sport, but had a couple teams in southern Ontario playing in the Midwest League. There were five large leagues, and tons of smaller, more local "minor" leagues. The biggest leagues were the...

Rocky Mountain Floor Hockey League (Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming)

California Floor Hockey League (California, Arizona, and Nevada)

Pacific Floor Hockey League (British Colombia, Oregon, and Washington)

Midwest Floor Hockey League (Ontario, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, and Indiana)

Northeast Floor Hockey League (New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Maryland, etc.)

Where the sport existed, it was big, growing nearly right alongside the NHL in revenue and fanbase-size. Eventually, in an attempt to reach a wider audience and produce a more nationwide audience, the five major leagues merged in 2007. The individual teams merged in 2007, putting the best of the best in the biggest markets, to create larger fanbases. The new league was named the National Floor Hockey League.

After the plan successfully worked, and the league grew in both revenue and fans, the league expanded in 2017, into non-traditional hockey markets, such as Texas, Louisiana, and Florida. The league also expanded into Minnesota, planning to maintain it as a permanent franchise.

This series is the league in 2018, a year after expansion. The franchises' names and jerseys will be released as the teams themselves are, but the logos are on the map below, along with some league logos and other information.

League Logo:

pres1.thumb.png.55b2afc463e656052ae4a17bb7ad6961.png

It's pretty simple, using the red, white, and blue colors most major sports leagues do. It takes the shape of a hockey puck, as used in the floor hockey game. It's a distinctive enough shape to stand out from a regular circle, but is similar enough to a simple shape as to stay relatively simple.

Conference Logos:

pres2.thumb.png.d5200458260513517bd43e3f38702880.png

These are really just simplified league logos, customized for the East and West conferences. Not a whole lot to say here.

League Uniform:

pres3.thumb.png.9c0f4774184ae91f00ea91ec6f6f2106.png

Floor hockey uniforms have been, for the most part, hockey-ish designs on soccer-ish uniforms. The NFHL has used a Puma template since its inception, and is again seen here. The league logo sits in the bottom right corner, while the DT Concepts logo mirrors it. Puma gets its logo on the pants and top right corner, as well as subtly put on the sublimated pattern on the arms. And yes, despite the fact that you all will dislike it, the league will have every team wear a sponsor patch on their left chest.

Court Specifics

pres4.thumb.png.b00bfd6069ab60bfb73b450c2c2130d4.png

The NFHL courts are the same size as NBA courts, with the layout of an NHL rink. The league logo is placed inside the offside-lines on each side of the rink. The arena and sponsor logos are placed to face the television cameras, along with the team logo at center. Teams are able to use custom designs on their courts, in a lighter color, as long as it doesn't appear as extra lines on the court.

Team Map

pres5.thumb.png.62d1f88ed3c1ddbecff5ea4dc536e271.png

Here are all the logos and locations of teams in the NFHL. Team names and uniforms will be released at a later date, however.

There's all that! Here are a list of team locations. I will update them with names and links to the posts with their uniforms and whatnot as necessary.

2018 NFHL All-Star Game - Toronto, ON

Colorado Bucks

Empire State HC

Los Angeles Gold

Miami Vipers

Minnesota Saints

New Orleans

San Antonio

Seattle Totems

St. Louis Pioneers

Toronto Nationals

Looking at the logos on the map, most of them look really solid! There are a few that I'm confused/intrigued about, but I can comment about those when the full team is revealed. I'm not a huge fan of the league/conference logos, though. The league logo barely even looks like a puck to me, and looks more like 2 stacked balls. As for the conference logos, I think they might be a bit on the plain side, and I'm personally not feeling the typeface used. Also, one small nitpick: you have cleats on the template, would they really be using cleats? I'm pretty sure you're just using a soccer template since it fits so well, but I'm not so sure they'd wear cleats on a court. Changing the shoe color from bright green might not hurt either.

Overall I'm liking what I see so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

58f9196939e87_CCSLCsig.png.9bc4492f6b88c5f7d305eb5337acf1f0.png

7 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Like the simplistic logos, you don't give yourself enough credit!

Thanks for the kind words! This series was also an attempt to establish a style for myself.

5 hours ago, Bpoe96 said:

Looking at the logos on the map, most of them look really solid! There are a few that I'm confused/intrigued about, but I can comment about those when the full team is revealed. I'm not a huge fan of the league/conference logos, though. The league logo barely even looks like a puck to me, and looks more like 2 stacked balls. As for the conference logos, I think they might be a bit on the plain side, and I'm personally not feeling the typeface used. Also, one small nitpick: you have cleats on the template, would they really be using cleats? I'm pretty sure you're just using a soccer template since it fits so well, but I'm not so sure they'd wear cleats on a court. Changing the shoe color from bright green might not hurt either.

That's fair. The league/conference logos were made with an ultra-simple style, if that makes sense, and a font similar to the Premier League. Just a really modern take on things. You're 100% correct as to why I have the cleats on the template, but upon some searching, I can't find any good pictures of regular running shoes from the same angle the cleats were taken from. If you can find a good picture like that, I'll be happy to put it in!

Anyways, here's the first official organization, the Colorado Bucks!

598485028ce12_colpres.thumb.png.9c2b22d9f1b72c54e68b85e0b524b999.png

598484e002a74_colcourt.thumb.png.24cef78a1082bba8ddcf3db4f2633feb.png

The Bucks' whole identity, logos, uniforms, and all, took a lot of inspiration from the Caribous of Colorado. The jerseys wouldn't feature fringe like the NASL team's did, but they'd use a similar design. The Bucks use one of the most 'out there' designs in the league, both on the court and on the jerseys. The jerseys are obviously very different, and the court paints nearly the entire offensive zone white, in an attempt to produce a mountainous look.

The Bucks are the product of the Rocky Mountain Floor Hockey League, and created an entirely new identity in 2007, when the teams all merged. They play at the Pepsi Center and have a large fanbase across the Rockies, taking fans from Colorado, Kansas, Wyoming, and New Mexico. The team struggled a bit when the NFHL was first created, but has since risen to be a yearly contender and a dangerous team to play against.

There's the first one! Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, mamiller99 said:

Really good look! I have been waiting to see someone make a floorball/floor hockey concept. Is there going to be a goalie kit as well, or will the goalie just wear the regular jerseys?

Thanks! Just like in hockey, the goalies would wear the normal uniforms.

This is a team with some history behind it, and a more classic look.

This is Empire State HC. I know the name seems lazy, but the team was formed in the very early stages of floor hockey itself, and has stuck around for almost 100 years. The team's name originally came from the nickname for New York, but embraced the Empire State Building after it was built. Empire State HC found a lot of luck early on, but in the mid 60s, their play began a trend downwards. They had a revival in the 90s where they won a Northeast League championship, but have since been consistently in the middle of the pack.

5986064f7f711_ehcpres.thumb.png.e95b53d4e4369afe2c7a1e08eb029481.png

The team originally wore long-sleeved jerseys, and did so for the vast majority of its existence. However, when it joined the NFHL in 2007, their template was changed to the short-sleeved ones, but they stuck with their hockey striping. They also introduced one of the more 'out there' jersey designs in 2007 with their orange alternate, which has since become a fan favorite due to its wackiness.

5986062ce0d66_ehccourt.thumb.png.5adbdcd78fc910bb3f5a700ba3217027.png

Their court is one of the more simple ones, just being a very subtle checkerboard pattern.

There ya go! What do you think?

On 8/6/2017 at 4:21 AM, Spanna65 said:

The Orange on the logo looks different to the Orange used on the uniforms.

The template I used puts a sublimated pattern over the logo, so without moving it above the shading, the logo seems as though it's printed on, which isn't a look i want to go for.

Anyways, here's another team!

59876924df2de_lagpres.thumb.png.9fa3be4d566a4486be177e00826f1ada.png

5987690281008_lagcourt.thumb.png.e748a98a6c7f7340aade68a1c4992a33.png

This is the Los Angeles Gold, a team with a really simplistic and modern identity. I wanted a team just like this with really simple colors, and this was it. The third jersey is by far the most "bland" of the entire series, but I think it works well with the other two uniforms pretty well. The Gold is really just a hipster-ish identity. Anyways, the team was an entirely new creation in 2007, when the NFHL was formed. There was a team in LA, but they weren't successful at any point. The Gold kind of followed in their footsteps, and except for a few occasional years, the Gold were found at the bottom of the standings. They've found success recently, though, and are starting to top their conference.

Any thoughts?

All of these teams look good so far. I personally like Colorado's whole identity and New York's third jersey. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it were real. LA looks pretty good as well. I like the simplistic look of it. Can't wait to see the rest of the league.

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

Guest darkpiranha

Neat.  Love the logos so far.  Only thing I would have done slightly differently is to come up with some other items of gear that would allow you to color and customize for each team.  Right now, you just have soccer uniforms, which from a purely design-fan standpoint, we've seen a million times.  This is a league you're creating so you can add any sort of item to it you want.  Maybe there's a simple set of external leather shoulder pads, or arm/elbow brace or simple leather helmet/visor.  This is obviously my personal preference, but if it's a made-up league or sport, I think it's a great opportunity to create unique elements and shapes to design within to set it apart from other sports. 

13 hours ago, EJaws said:

Just a question. Why is the white line on the left side thicker than the one on the right?

Again, must just be the template. Didn't notice it until now.

Here's team number four, the Miami Vipers!

598893a67295c_miapres.thumb.png.61b4d6e30d40d1f30588ce09b621c683.png

59889317e4af4_miacourt.thumb.png.54aa34adef00b4c1b331de294ea55c2d.png

The Vipers are one of the league's expansion teams in 2017. They're one of the surprising teams in the league, with a good year right out of the gate. The team's identity is a sleek and modern one, with form-fitting jerseys and a simplistic logo. The team has built a solid fanbase in Miami, along with a good amount of fairweather fans.

Anything on the Vipers?

Nothing? I'll just keep right on going.

Here are the Minnesota Saints!

5989d833d5017_minpres.thumb.png.19f68a73debaf9c9ca6ab1359265cb43.png

5989d8179472d_mincourt.thumb.png.15ddedf1701465d8c098095b0d0602fa.png

The Saints' identity is a modernized version of the old Minnesota Fighting Saints WHA club. The team was created in 2017 in the first expansion, and despite being towards the bottom of the league pretty consistently, has a good following in Minnesota. The jerseys are no doubt based off of standard ice hockey jerseys, except for the alternate, which is just weird for the sake of being weird.

Any thoughts?

On 8/9/2017 at 0:53 AM, BellaSpurs said:

Cleats on hardwood floors? And as much as I want the vipers logo to work. I honestly think there's much more potential for a snake profile rather than the snake facing me. But for the rest is pretty good.

If you can find a soccer template without cleats, let me know. Also, I wanted to go for a symmetrical and simplistic logo for Miami.

On 8/9/2017 at 1:33 AM, Steelman said:

I actually really like the Vipers logo but the fangs don't work for me. They look like tusks imo, I think if you made them pointier and more fang-like the logo would work much better.

Quite an interesting concept and series, keep up the good work!

Thanks! I understand that, and after you said that, I can't see anything else.

Here are the next couple of teams. Skipped a couple days.

Here's the team from New Orleans, with a familiar name.

598cecd35e1ed_nojpres.thumb.png.a5ff9ce865e65733174eb512ab4a54c0.png

598cecb288e45_nojcourt.thumb.png.4e9da24aa7357ceb823adbdb4d85b6ad.png

Initally, when I created the New Orleans Jazz, I didn't think of the NBA comparison. However, after thinking about it, I realized, "If the Rockies could do it, why not me?" So the result was a unique team with a trumpet for a logo, a Mardi Gras color scheme, and some very simple uniforms.

Here's the Texas team.

598ced065b346_sabpres.thumb.png.92cb0463ae469534d7d33f952c3ab596.png

598cece6ae1ee_sabcourt.thumb.png.6ececeb07704980791df3dc1a761a1cf.png

These are the San Antonio Braves, a team inspired by the Buffalo Braves logo. I saw the feather, and I was struck by the simplicity and uniqueness of the shape. The colors are just because I wanted to have a more brighter and unique color scheme for the team. Also, I'm really proud of the pants for this team. I think the logo placement is really clever.

There's that! Any other reccomendations?

Archived