Alternate Uniforms Worn Once Or Twice

wildfan2440

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/9/2017 at 10:12 PM, Chipper25 said:

As an avid Expos fan in the years between the mid eighties to the end, I can attest to the fact that the Expos wore this uniform in game only once. It was on August 15, 1999 in Colorado and it was because the team's regular road jerseys needed to be washed. The two teams were in the process of playing 6 games in 3 days because of the Columbine shooting. These two teams were scheduled to play a three game series on the day of the shooting and all three games were postponed until their next match up in August of that year.

456338290.jpg

Even though it's a BP jersey, that's not a bad look...and if they were still in Montreal today I guarantee you there would be a blue alternate in the rotation anyway.  I really hope the Expos are revived someday.

My Red Sox have had a couple weird ones -- I always think of the alternate caps they rolled out briefly one season in the late 90s. One was similar to the 70s cap but with a white B. The other was a white crowd. Neither saw the field for long and even photos are very few considering it wasn't THAT long ago.

11420779_1661888534022784_301145131_n.jp

IMG_0451.thumb.PNG.9512c0ca727583987e2dd03c1680a8d6.PNG

They've also worn various green BP jerseys and caps for St. Patrick's Day in spring training, but also did so once in the regular season in 2006, to honor the passing of Red Auerbach. Always thought that was a nice touch. They may have worn them once more a few years later when the Celtics won the title but that could be a false memory. 

466710642_e42471ed5c.jpg

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Trying to come up with some MLS examples -- these days teams just usually have specially color printing on their names and numbers for special events, which doesn't count to me.

In 1998, when the unis were still pretty bonkers anyway, the New England Revolution wore this beauty.

newengland_revolution_1998_alternate_gor

And I can recall a couple mid-00s examples. Toronto FC wore pink for one game, I think it was a breast cancer fundraiser. I swear I recall them wearing a generic blue teamwear kit as an emergency third kid once in their first or second MLS year, but maybe I'm misremembering, can't find any evidence of it.

midfielder-dwayne-de-rosario-of-the-toro

And FC Dallas wore Tigres colors once, I guess because they had/have a partnership:

dallas+2006.jpg

Vancouver Whitecaps had these brown third kits a few years back. I think they were mothballed after just a couple wears. It's too bad, I think they're really nice, especially considering how boring and safe their usual white-and-navy identity is.

FC+Dallas+v+Vancouver+Whitecaps+LJYehOLo

40 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

The RedBulls wearing white shorts. This was about 6 or 7 years ago and has never happened since. 

I wasn't sure that just wearing different shorts than usual counts for soccer teams ... but anyway, damn, that looks so weird! Wish they'd keep the white shorts around for those games against the likes of Toronto or FC Dallas.

On 8/15/2017 at 4:51 PM, Digby said:

I wasn't sure that just wearing different shorts than usual counts for soccer teams ... but anyway, damn, that looks so weird! Wish they'd keep the white shorts around for those games against the likes of Toronto or FC Dallas.

Yea, some teams have no problems mixing/matching shorts or socks but NYRB are very strict with their white/red/white combo

Archived