ItDoesntMatter

National Dashball League: A Fictional Sport, A Fictional Future - 2017-18 Offseason

Veras    449

I prefer the green.   Brown, gray, and teal definitely make an interesting color scheme, but none of the colors were very vivid, which left the work feeling kind of muted. The green adds  much better contrast, and I think really brings it to life  (both on the logo sheet and the jerseys especially).

Edited by Veras
Cleaned up errors that occurred as a result of being half asleep and using voice to text when I wrote this.

JD1500    1
5 hours ago, Veras said:

I prefer the green.   Brown, gray, and teal definitely make an interesting color scheme, but none of the colors were very vivid, which left the work feeling kind of muted. The green it adds  much better contrast, and I think really brings it to life  (both on the other sheet and the jerseys especially).

Agreed.  The green just says "Seattle" to me and gives the unis and court that pop.  What is the number font used on the jerseys?

I've mocked up some color options for Seattle. The first is the original; the second is the green I already showed you. The middle two are double-teal and double-green, as requested by @TekkogsSteve. The fifth one is teal and green, similar to what @nick_crenshaw82 did above, but with the darker green used in the scheme to its left, since the original shades of teal and green bleed into each other a lot. I'm also considering using all three colors with the brown (yes, it's brown, not maroon) as more of an accent color, which might look something like the far right.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPZ19RQzRhN1ZsTE0

5 hours ago, JD1500 said:

Agreed.  The green just says "Seattle" to me and gives the unis and court that pop.  What is the number font used on the jerseys?

The numbers and wordmarks are both Righteous.

16 minutes ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

I've mocked up some color options for Seattle. The first is the original; the second is the green I already showed you. The middle two are double-teal and double-green, as requested by @TekkogsSteve. The fifth one is teal and green, similar to what @nick_crenshaw82 did above, but with the darker green used in the scheme to its left, since the original shades of teal and green bleed into each other a lot. I'm also considering using all three colors with the brown (yes, it's brown, not maroon) as more of an accent color, which might look something like the far right.

I think the sixth option is closer to mine, but I agree that the darker green works better.

Veras    449

Definitely don't mix the green and teal. I still prefer green/brown/gray, but teal/brown/gray is a solid second. The double green looks good, but it lacks the originality of the first two. 

~Bear    320

I think green/brown/grey is a winner. Not really a fan of teal for this set, so I have to go with the second. 

I've just spent the last hour reading through this feed. I think its super cool and I love the California Sea Lions concept. I only have a few questions though.

1. Is there any way for the referees to be able to tell the difference between defense and offense? Maybe something similar to how a soccer goalie wears a different colored jersey, maybe the two squads have differing armbands instead of jerseys?

2. Will there be uniforms for the referees?

3. Will you design an official ball?

As for Seattle, I like the second option the best, but I would like to see some teal in the brown jersey. Other than that great job!

Looks like green and brown is the clear winner, so that will be Seattle's look in 2017 and beyond. Thanks everyone for your input.

2 hours ago, KevinTCottrell said:

I've just spent the last hour reading through this feed. I think its super cool and I love the California Sea Lions concept. I only have a few questions though.

1. Is there any way for the referees to be able to tell the difference between defense and offense? Maybe something similar to how a soccer goalie wears a different colored jersey, maybe the two squads have differing armbands instead of jerseys?

2. Will there be uniforms for the referees?

3. Will you design an official ball?

As for Seattle, I like the second option the best, but I would like to see some teal in the brown jersey. Other than that great job!

Thanks for the compliments! I can't believe this thread is already an hour long :lol: but hey, I'm glad you're interested.

1. The offensive and defensive players will not look any different (although your armband idea is a good one). The defense is confined to a defensive zone (the end zone and inside the 3-point line) that offensive players cannot enter. The referees and official scorers will have lists of which player is on which squad, and if someone switches in the middle of an inning, they will be penalized.

2. The referees will have uniforms. I didn't really think about that, but I might put some together if there's enough demand.

3. That's another thing I didn't really think about. That's definitely something I'll consider if I can find/create a good template.

JD1500    1
15 hours ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

The green/silver/brown of number two gets my vote, otherwise I also enjoy the double-green of number four (if viewed from left to right).

mnfarmkids    0

I personally enjoyed No. 6, but 2 is also a great option. I love the use of the symbolic 52 points. (Also, I enjoy vexillogy)

19 hours ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

I know that it's been decided but sorry for not being clear, I meant either dark teal and green or teal and dark green like number 5. Having said that, I'm definitely on board with the brown and green and it's one of my favs so far, along with the frost.

I struggled a little with LA. There’s a lot of distinct history and culture there, and it was hard to pick just one name from all that. That being said, I kind of ignored most of it and went to prehistory. I’m referring to the La Brea Tar Pits and their fossils. Sure, tigers have been done before, but not many teams have done sabertooth tigers. Thus, the Los Angeles Sabertooths. Sure, it’s a long and kinda clunky name, but it’s not that much different from say, the Toronto Maple Leafs (even the pluralization matches!). I also like the idea of calling them the Tooths for short, just because you would get to say Tooths. Go Tooths!

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPYmZtYkNMMlRrVTg

The color scheme is orange and black, because, well, it’s a tiger, and I wanted to keep the black black to represent the tar pits. I put together a tiger logo inspired by the logo of the George C. Page Museum, with hints toward the letters L and A along the left-hand side. The secondary logo is a modern take on the LA monogram that every team seems to need to have, and I used fangs as the two T’s in the wordmark. I’m not totally sold on either, but I like them, so let me know if I should tweak anything or if I should just try again.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPS1E5NEFVbVdndzQ

Speaking of tigers, they have stripes. Lots of ‘em. So does this uniform. I figured keeping the shorts white would be smart so as not to overwhelm anybody. Fang-looking stripes on the shorts, too, which makes it more modern and less rugby (nothing against rugby though). For the two-th Tooth uniform (okay, I’ll stop), a clean, white uniform seemed like a good idea, and I included a sash to get some color in. It even wraps around to the back, because that’s what real sashes do. Black shorts and the same orange socks finish it off. The third goes blackout with no white and a sublimated stripe reminiscent of the LA flag down the middle of the front and back.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPcE93dFhySWl0WFk

Really the only feature of the court is the diagonal-striped end zones, which were inspired by old football end zones (or Notre Dame’s current end zones).

Let me know what you like and what you don’t.

Edited by ItDoesntMatter
updates

willmoen    39

The Sabertooths look pretty good. The only thing that bothers me is that the sublimated pattern on the Third Jersey is kind of hard to see. I get what you're going at with the whole Blackout theme, but I would say try and find a way to make the pattern more noticeable. Other than that, the rest of the set looks great.

6 hours ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

I struggled a little with LA. There’s a lot of distinct history and culture there, and it was hard to pick just one name from all that. That being said, I kind of ignored most of it and went to prehistory. I’m referring to the La Brea Tar Pits and their fossils. Sure, tigers have been done before, but not many teams have done sabertooth tigers. Thus, the Los Angeles Sabertooths. Sure, it’s a long and kinda clunky name, but it’s not that much different from say, the Toronto Maple Leafs (even the pluralization matches!). I also like the idea of calling them the Tooths for short, just because you would get to say Tooths. Go Tooths!

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPTjViaEU1LThndFU

The color scheme is orange and black, because, well, it’s a tiger, and I wanted to keep the black black to represent the tar pits. I put together a tiger logo inspired by the logo of the George C. Page Museum, with hints toward the letters L and A along the left-hand side. The secondary logo is a modern take on the LA monogram that every team seems to need to have, and I used fangs as the two T’s in the wordmark. I’m not totally sold on either, but I like them, so let me know if I should tweak anything or if I should just try again.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPSTZQMHduaU9lTFE

Speaking of tigers, they have stripes. Lots of ‘em. So does this uniform. I figured keeping the shorts white would be smart so as not to overwhelm anybody. Fang-looking stripes on the shorts, too, which makes it more modern and less rugby (nothing against rugby though). For the two-th Tooth uniform (okay, I’ll stop), a clean, white uniform seemed like a good idea, and I included a sash to get some color in. It even wraps around to the back, because that’s what real sashes do. Black shorts and the same orange socks finish it off. The third goes blackout with no white and a sublimated stripe reminiscent of the LA flag down the middle of the front and back.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPbXlEOE1SLUdGNEU

Really the only feature of the court is the diagonal-striped end zones, which were inspired by old football end zones (or Notre Dame’s current end zones).

Let me know what you like and what you don’t.

As much as I like the design (and I really, truly do) but scientifically speaking Sabretooths were more closely related to lions than to tigers, sorry.

Sabertooths look good I really like the monogram and sabertooths word mark but I'm not sold on the primary. I think the LA isn't very noticeable and it might look better with a straighter jawline.

Was there a reason why you didn't put word marks on any of the jerseys? I think that the tooths one would fit nicely on the primary and the monogram would work at the top left of the secondary

On 8/25/2017 at 7:29 PM, willmoen said:

The Sabertooths look pretty good. The only thing that bothers me is that the sublimated pattern on the Third Jersey is kind of hard to see. I get what you're going at with the whole Blackout theme, but I would say try and find a way to make the pattern more noticeable. Other than that, the rest of the set looks great.

I made the blackout uniform because I liked the way the orange popped off the black, which is why the sublimation is still close to black. I'll play around with it later once I get access to a computer again.

20 hours ago, nick_crenshaw82 said:

As much as I like the design (and I really, truly do) but scientifically speaking Sabretooths were more closely related to lions than to tigers, sorry.

I knew that (I think), but I've never heard anyone say "sabertooth lion." I figured focusing on a tiger for the identity would make more sense to most people, myself included, and plus, I didn't have an orange team yet.

18 hours ago, TekkogsSteve said:

Sabertooths look good I really like the monogram and sabertooths word mark but I'm not sold on the primary. I think the LA isn't very noticeable and it might look better with a straighter jawline.

Was there a reason why you didn't put word marks on any of the jerseys? I think that the tooths one would fit nicely on the primary and the monogram would work at the top left of the secondary

I'll see if I can work on the jawline, but the letters were supposed to be subtle (honestly, they were kind of an afterthought; the shape of the logo just worked really well for it). The reason I didn't put logos or wordmarks on any of the jerseys was because I thought the identity was strong enough that it didn't need them and simple enough that they would look out of place.

Again, I'll be without a computer for a few days, and I'm also starting school up soon, but I'll be sure to keep this up as soon as I can.

I've updated the original post with some quick updates to LA. I tweaked the jawline on the primary logo, and I upped the opacity of the sublimation and surrounded it with piping, which should increase the visibility significantly. Let me know if these are any better.