ItDoesntMatter

National Dashball League: A Fictional Sport, A Fictional Future - 2017 Regular Season

mnfarmkids    0

The Tooths are great imo. The LA on the primary was a bit hard to see and maybe shouldn't be touted as a selling point. The monogram and wordmark are great. I love the jerseys.

Veras    428

I hope I don't come across as too harsh on this, but I don't think this one is up to the standard of what you've done so far.  I think you have a good start, and there is a lot I really like (the secondary logo is really cool, and I love the stripes on the shorts), but it doesn't feel finished to me.  

The primary in particular needs a lot of work.  The biggest problem is the mouth.  The top bends up and away from the jaw, which gives it a cartoony look.  I think you also need to enlarge the eyes and the whiskers (or maybe just eliminate the whiskers).  The eyes look really squinty, and the whiskers will disappear on any small application (even zooming in completely on the pants, they look like a smudge).  Finally, I don't understand what's happening with the X at the bottom of the ear.  Unless I'm missing something, the horizontal line constituting the top of the head should stop at the vertical line of the front of the ear.

The uniforms are great.  The only thing that I don't like is that on the secondary, the black name on the back is partly on the black stripe, but I don't have a solution.  The angle is too sharp to rotate the text, the stripe is too wide to put the text offset to the right, and an all white nameplate would probably look kind of dumb.

I love where you're going with the Ts in the wordmark, but I think you should take that look the rest of the way.  Use a sharp, primitive font all around instead of the block.  It looks good as it is, but I think it would be a lot better (and more in line with the feel of the team) if the ends of every letter were sharp.

Again, I apologize if I'm being overly critical.  Keep up the good work.

1 hour ago, Veras said:

I hope I don't come across as too harsh on this, but I don't think this one is up to the standard of what you've done so far.  I think you have a good start, and there is a lot I really like (the secondary logo is really cool, and I love the stripes on the shorts), but it doesn't feel finished to me.  

The primary in particular needs a lot of work.  The biggest problem is the mouth.  The top bends up and away from the jaw, which gives it a cartoony look.  I think you also need to enlarge the eyes and the whiskers (or maybe just eliminate the whiskers).  The eyes look really squinty, and the whiskers will disappear on any small application (even zooming in completely on the pants, they look like a smudge).  Finally, I don't understand what's happening with the X at the bottom of the ear.  Unless I'm missing something, the horizontal line constituting the top of the head should stop at the vertical line of the front of the ear.

The uniforms are great.  The only thing that I don't like is that on the secondary, the black name on the back is partly on the black stripe, but I don't have a solution.  The angle is too sharp to rotate the text, the stripe is too wide to put the text offset to the right, and an all white nameplate would probably look kind of dumb.

I love where you're going with the Ts in the wordmark, but I think you should take that look the rest of the way.  Use a sharp, primitive font all around instead of the block.  It looks good as it is, but I think it would be a lot better (and more in line with the feel of the team) if the ends of every letter were sharp.

Again, I apologize if I'm being overly critical.  Keep up the good work.

Hey, I'll take your criticism any day of the week. All of it is totally valid, and I also appreciate the compliments.

I'll try to get some more work in on the primary over the next few days. The "X" you're seeing is actually caused by a stripe on the ear, which is separate from the top of the head. That stripe was sort of an afterthought; I put it there because 1) I thought it looked kind of empty and 2) it helped make the A in the ear more prominent (although it didn't seem to help much in that regard). I see how that would be visually confusing, though.

I totally agree with you on the secondary. The only other thing I thought of would be to interrupt the sash completely, but that doesn't make much sense at all.

As for the wordmark, I thought about doing something like that, probably with the A and the H, but I felt like I would be copying the D-backs a little too much, and I didn't want to take too much attention away from the T's. I'll definitely look into changing it, but on the other hand, I don't want it to look too crazy.

Now that I'm through my first few days of classes, I've got an update for LA to show y'all. I adjusted quite a bit on the primary logo, and totally reworked the wordmark to make it more primitive and caveman-y. I think it looks a lot better, but I'd love to hear what you guys think:

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPV3lrZ2J5dDQ1Tzg

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPVkZZRTF5LXZ2Q3M

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPbWNWbFBsSDRBdWs

Other things of note: leaving the old text on the court was a conscious decision because 1) readability and 2) I just didn't think it looked very good there. I also slightly increased the NOB outline on the secondary uniform, which should solve the visibility problem.

Veras    428

YES!  Much better, and the wordmark is spectacular.  Probably my favorite individual mark in the series so far.

Happy Labor Labour Day!

Toronto has many nicknames; according to Alan Rayburn, "no place in Canada has as many sobriquets as Toronto." (If you’re impressed, I stole that directly from Wikipedia.) One of those nicknames is “Hogtown,” referring mostly to the pork processing plants that were common in Toronto in the early 20th century. It also refers to “a 10-cent-per-pig fine on anyone allowing pigs to run in the street” (I swear, I didn’t make that up), and the fact that the Anglo-Saxon word for York (the former name of the city), Eoforwic, translates to “wild boar village.” Other than a few assorted concepts floating around the internet, it doesn’t seem like anybody has called a team the Toronto Hogs, so I did.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPbUNqYUZmbGhMVEE

I went pink and brown because pigs, and because name another pink and brown team ever. That’s what I thought. I tried to balance the hog between your average chubby pork pig and your angry, aggressive wild boar. I used the hog’s snout as a standalone logo and as the O in the wordmark, and included the obligatory maple leaf logo (and yes, it's similar to some Leafs concepts. Oh well).

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPRnV4S0pEMnlseGM

I went with a pretty simple uniform set for the Hogs because I wanted to let the color scheme shine. That being said, I felt like I hadn’t used much striping in this series, so I put them on the sleeves as well as the shorts in a 2-1-2 ratio which is rare if not unique. White shorts and pink socks on each of the main uniforms because I thought it looked good. While I don’t dislike the look of the brown uniforms, I thought the Hogs would probably wear the whites more. Finally, I included a “Canadian Pride” uniform since 2017 is the 150th anniversary of Canadian confederation (though it will probably still see some use after this season). This is more brown-heavy since I thought the red and brown looked better than the red and pink.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPMlhlcVNMeWZPM2c

The wordmark didn’t really lend itself well to the end zone, so there was a lot of empty space to fill. To contrast that, there’s not a whole lot else going on on the court. I did feel like the maple leaf logo should be on there somewhere, though.

Just one more team to go, and then we can get things rolling with this season. How’d I do on the Hogs?

Steelman    95

I never thought I'd say I like a pink and brown color scheme, but I'll be damned... I do. It's weird and funky but it doesn't feel contrived either. I dig it dude. I like the uniforms a lot. The only thing that fell short for me was the wordmark. I think I was hoping for something a little bolder and more aggressive, all-caps and italicized and such. But otherwise, super unique concept.

mnfarmkids    0

I like the Hogs (pink and brown for life) and the redone Tooths are great.

JD1500    1

Wow, another winner.  Very unique concept all the way around.  Any chance we could see an iteration with brown as the primary on the court?   I do like the pink primary jersey, but I'm wondering how the court would look surrounded by brown instead of pink.  It may be a bit more understated, but perhaps that's not what you want.

I also really like the wordmark and the clever insertion of the pig/boar nostrils as the "O".  You're really crushing it with these wordmarks in my opinion.  I like how each team stands alone; again this is a function of starting the league in the present, but I've never liked how certain aspects of teams in the four major sports seem to have merged together over time, such as arena styles/music in the NBA. 

On 9/5/2017 at 1:32 AM, TekkogsSteve said:

I get where ur going with the colour scheme but I think it would be better if you changed the pink to red

I'm gonna have to veto that one. Pink and brown seem pretty popular with everyone else, and if I make the hog red, it looks like it's about to explode. It's definitely a direction I thought about going, but I'm gonna keep it as is.

10 hours ago, Steelman said:

I never thought I'd say I like a pink and brown color scheme, but I'll be damned... I do. It's weird and funky but it doesn't feel contrived either. I dig it dude. I like the uniforms a lot. The only thing that fell short for me was the wordmark. I think I was hoping for something a little bolder and more aggressive, all-caps and italicized and such. But otherwise, super unique concept.

2 hours ago, JD1500 said:

Wow, another winner.  Very unique concept all the way around.  Any chance we could see an iteration with brown as the primary on the court?   I do like the pink primary jersey, but I'm wondering how the court would look surrounded by brown instead of pink.  It may be a bit more understated, but perhaps that's not what you want.

I also really like the wordmark and the clever insertion of the pig/boar nostrils as the "O".  You're really crushing it with these wordmarks in my opinion.  I like how each team stands alone; again this is a function of starting the league in the present, but I've never liked how certain aspects of teams in the four major sports seem to have merged together over time, such as arena styles/music in the NBA. 

Thanks to both of you! I definitely feel like I might've married myself to the O-snout idea and that a more aggressive-looking wordmark might've suited the team better, but I also like what I came up with, so I'm hesitant to change it. As for the color scheme, I absolutely wanted to try some more interesting combinations that we haven't really seen before, and this felt like an excellent opportunity to do just that, without the bounds that any history would have imposed (even a fictional one; @chrisCLEMENT made a Toronto Hogs concept for his short-lived but excellent NFA in just blue and white, and while I won't say mine was better than his, I think it's safe to say mine is more exciting).

@JD1500, I flipped the colors on the court, but I didn't particularly like the way it looked. It felt too dark and way too brown-heavy for the Hogs, whom I see as a pink-dominant team. Here it is anyway if you want to take a look.

Well, we’ve made it through seven of eight teams without any of that drama I mentioned. Buckle your seatbelts, kids, it’s about to get juicy. (Please bear with me and my strange sense of humor.)

You’ve probably noticed that, while a lot of the major North American cities have been checked off, there’s a pretty big one left. The league was all set to go with an alignment that featured Seattle, Cali, LA, and Texas in the West and Chicago, Philly, Toronto, and New York in the East. Just days before the official press conference where the teams would be announced, however, the New York team’s ownership group pulled out, citing “the loss of a major financial backer.” Exactly what happened in New York is unclear, but rather than go ahead with a 7-team league, Commissioner Justin Ross decided to reach out to previous ownership candidates to find a replacement team, and promised New York a team whenever they were prepared to field one. The first owner to respond was Arizona native Larry Rodriquez, who wanted to put his team in Phoenix. Phoenix was not the most desirable city for league alignment, but ultimately, it was decided that playing as soon as possible was more important. The league did have to postpone the start of the season and was reportedly very close to moving ahead with a shortened season but will play a full 40-game season this year starting in late April.

All that aside, here are the Phoenix Palms:

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPWVpoVWFCdWhwdTQ

Phoenix has a great flag, and it uses a really cool color. Since this is a team that really shouldn’t be here in the first place, I thought I’d give them a color scheme that stood out, so I used that purple (if you talk to Phoenicians, it’s maroon, but it looks purple to me and most other people) along with a bright green and gold. For the primary logo, I made a palm tree in front of the sun, and it kinda looks like a P too if you’re willing to use your imagination a little. I separated the palm tree and the sun for the remaining logos and added a PHX wordmark to the latter because it had to show up somewhere, right? Finally, I think you fans of the previous few wordmarks I’ve created will appreciate this one, which uses the tree as both the i in Phoenix and the l in Palms.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPUkhZQ2dwZEEtRE0

I went purple with the primary and gold for the secondary, both with a chest number, since I felt like that fit well with the wordmark. The stripe on the shorts is taken from the tree trunk. I decided to forgo a “greenout” uniform for the tertiary in favor of a “blackout” one, which uses the PHX as well as having the tree sticking out the bottom of the uniform. It is a bit busy, but I think a team like the Palms can get away with that.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPVmEwWVJRdVRpN00

Their wordmark is kind of large and unwieldy, so I tried sticking the tree out the top of the end zone. I’m not sure how well it works, but other than putting in a normal letter l, I don’t know what else to do. I also did something kind of unique with the center court logo, related to what I did on the tertiary uniform and inspired by the NBA All-Star Game in Toronto last year. I’d say this is definitely the loudest court in the league, which is what I was going for.

I wanted this to be a flashy team, and I think I did that. Let me know what y’all think, and the season should be up shortly.

Phoenix looks great, just one thing. The color scheme is really giving off a tropical feel and Arizona is more hot that tropical. But anyways, great job. 

Dan O'Mac    192

I don't quite know how to get around it, but I feel there's too much yellow on the court. Aside from that, I'm a big fan of the Palms.

2 hours ago, CheeseBurger22 said:

Phoenix looks great, just one thing. The color scheme is really giving off a tropical feel and Arizona is more hot that tropical. But anyways, great job. 

1 hour ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I don't quite know how to get around it, but I feel there's too much yellow on the court. Aside from that, I'm a big fan of the Palms.

Those were both thoughts that crossed my mind. I think both were caused by trying to make the team stand out and be bright. I think I'm going to stick with the color scheme for now, unless anyone has any good suggestions on how to change it, and I think the court is justified by the Warriors, but you inspired me to play around a bit more. I think this might work better, but it might also be too crowded.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPb1lqNko4b1dqaW8

ChicagoOakland    374
40 minutes ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

Those were both thoughts that crossed my mind. I think both were caused by trying to make the team stand out and be bright. I think I'm going to stick with the color scheme for now, unless anyone has any good suggestions on how to change it, and I think the court is justified by the Warriors, but you inspired me to play around a bit more. I think this might work better, but it might also be too crowded.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPb1lqNko4b1dqaW8

Maybe make the outer arc maroon instead of yellow instead of doing the corner lines? I think that would set it off perfectly.

Veras    428

I agree that there is too much yellow (but then again, I hate the Warriors' court).  I would say that you should at least drop the paint inside the outer arc.

Darknes    133

I like the look and such of the logo, but the color scheme all together screams more New Orleans than Phoenix to me.

1 hour ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Maybe make the outer arc maroon instead of yellow instead of doing the corner lines? I think that would set it off perfectly.

2 minutes ago, Veras said:

I agree that there is too much yellow (but then again, I hate the Warriors' court).  I would say that you should at least drop the paint inside the outer arc.

I've looked into both of those, and I really want to add more purple to the court, but the problem with filling anything in purple is that the lines on the court are purple. I also tried dropping the yellow inside the 5-point line, but I felt like that was too much green. I think if I'm going to do something other than the two courts above, it'll look something like the two options below (to be clear, this is two court concepts in one, not a single court). On the right is my contrived way of filling in the 3-point area purple, and on the left is me totally giving up and ditching paint entirely for purple stain. I'm not sure the latter is what I want, and I think the former is really freakin' complicated, but I figured I'd show them off.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPc1dlb3FDaWxENFE

23 minutes ago, Darknes said:

I like the look and such of the logo, but the color scheme all together screams more New Orleans than Phoenix to me.

You know, it occurred to me after I posted the team that I had basically put a Mardi Gras team in Arizona. Again, I'm not completely sold on the colors, but I'm not sure what direction I would go instead. I still like what I have, but I'll keep throwing things around, and if you guys have any suggestions, feel free to shoot them my way.