ItDoesntMatter

National Dashball League: A Fictional Sport, A Fictional Future - 2017 Regular Season

Dan O'Mac    192

Okay, that purple stain sunburst is great.

On 9/11/2017 at 0:37 PM, Dan O'Mac said:

Okay, that purple stain sunburst is great.

Yeah, I've definitely warmed up to it. I put together a full version of it, and it's my favorite option so far. It still focuses primarily on yellow and feels big and bold while maintaining what I feel is a much better color balance than the other versions I've presented had. I've updated the original post, and you can also see it here.

I also played around with the color scheme a bit, namely replacing the green with a reddish-orange color (modeled here with the copper color from the Arizona flag). It definitely solves the Mardi Gras problem and looks a lot more Arizona to me. My main concern is that the copper seems a little dark, but I'm worried if I make it too much lighter, it'll make the orange clash/bleed with the yellow and/or make the team start to look a lot like the Suns. Then again, green/orange is very much third on the color hierarchy so I don't think I should be worrying this much about it :P. I'd love to hear what you all think.

Red Comet    35
29 minutes ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

Yeah, I've definitely warmed up to it. I put together a full version of it, and it's my favorite option so far. It still focuses primarily on yellow and feels big and bold while maintaining what I feel is a much better color balance than the other versions I've presented had. I've updated the original post, and you can also see it here.

I also played around with the color scheme a bit, namely replacing the green with a reddish-orange color (modeled here with the copper color from the Arizona flag). It definitely solves the Mardi Gras problem and looks a lot more Arizona to me. My main concern is that the copper seems a little dark, but I'm worried if I make it too much lighter, it'll make the orange clash/bleed with the yellow and/or make the team start to look a lot like the Suns. Then again, green/orange is very much third on the color hierarchy so I don't think I should be worrying this much about it :P. I'd love to hear what you all think.

Yeah, that looks more like a team from Arizona. Going with copper would make it even more like an Arizonan team IMO.

mnfarmkids    0

The copper looks nice, as does the purple stainburst

I'm gonna go ahead with the copper version of the Palms as the final. For those of you who are too lazy to click the link above (myself included), they're spoilered below:

Spoiler

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPM3hoejktNmJja1E

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPZnpHQTQ3dEl2b3M

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPWlJIaWhWdGNtN00

I also have some signatures to show off. I've only created generic league ones right now, but I can make team-specific ones if any of you would like one. In general, I'll be keeping all the signatures I create in this folder, but I'll typically post them here as well. Here are the first three:

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPOUh4cHBIT2NReDguc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPb04zOUtLcm04cGMuc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPbFNzdjkwb21JTFU

Opening these up in a new tab should take you to a URL you can link into your signature. If that doesn't work, let me know, preferably in a PM.

After all the drama leading up to the season, everyone was relieved to watch some dashball. (OK, maybe not everyone, the sport doesn’t have much of a following, but it certainly got some publicity, and as they say, all publicity is good publicity.) The first game took place on April 20, 2017, and featured the Sea Lions hosting the Sabertooths in what seemed destined to become a rivalry. It certainly lived up to the hype, with California mounting a comeback in the final minutes to win 141-139 on a last-second goal from W/ZB Justin Smith.

It was believed at the beginning of the season that those two teams were the frontrunners of the West, and those beliefs were confirmed very quickly. Led by Offensive Player of the Year B/C Thomas Notz and 21-year-old standout B/ZB Steve Gibson, California’s offense was nearly unstoppable at times. The Blueberries and Cream, as they came to be affectionately called, would go on to win their first 10 games before falling to Chicago 191-185 in the first ever overtime game in NDL history. After that, they slipped a little, losing home games to Seattle and Philadelphia, but recovered, finishing 33-7 and locking up the first seed and home-field advantage.

The Tooths, meanwhile, didn’t get off to the same hot start as their upstate counterparts, but over the course of the season, it didn’t take them long for them to find their stride. Their defense, led by ZBs Dwight McCann (W), Scott Hoffman (B), and Omaro Rubio (F), gelled into the best in the league by far, holding opponents to just 110.7 points per game, over 10 ppg better than second-place Philly. While they weren’t able to catch the Sea Lions, they finished at 29-11, which tied them for the second-best record in the league.

Phoenix overachieved, though they still finished the season with the worst offense in the league by far, and Seattle wound up in the cellar of the West with only 11 wins. However, neither of those teams were near the worst in the league. Toronto finished at an abysmal 3-37, only beating Philly, Phoenix, and Texas (their only road win). Rumors have already begun circulating that the team is likely to fold or be sold and move to New York instead of the league expanding, but so far there has been no word from the league. Regardless, they will get the top pick unless a New York team joins the league next year, which is still up in the air.

The rest of the East Division was much more entertaining. Chicago, Philadelphia, and Texas were expected to be in a dogfight from day 1, and they did not disappoint. Thanks in part to a blockbuster three-team deal which saw them pick up B/ZB Ed Maxwell from Philly and F/C Robby Wheeler from Phoenix, Chicago was able to gradually pull away from the other two teams and clinch the division, but the race between the Row and Redbacks would come down to the final game of the season. Fortunately for the Row, they had a game advantage over the ‘Backs. Unfortunately for the Row, they drew Chicago, who would still be playing to clinch the second seed over LA, while Texas would be playing the lowly Hogs. Predictably, Texas and Chicago both won, with the Redbacks taking the 4 seed on tiebreakers.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPU2ZRQ2tmX0FxZnM

Cool. Do u have a college round up and summary on the draft class for this year? That would be interesting, also have you recorded any statistics other than ppg. If so it would be quite interesting to see them? I know I'm asking a lot but I think it's great so far, thanks

ChicagoOakland    374

Welp, safe to say the Hogs got smoked this year.