ItDoesntMatter

National Dashball League: A Fictional Sport, A Fictional Future - 2017 Semifinals

I apologize in advance for the incredibly long post ahead. If you are actually going to read through it, you’re probably in the minority. If you want to skip to the really exciting stuff for now, go to the last paragraph; there’s plenty of bold text, so you shouldn’t be able to miss it. Either way, I’ll see you at the finish line.

I have always liked the threads on these boards, such as the AFA and the PHL, that documented and simulated the history of a fictional sports league. Even before I joined the forums, I had thought of doing this myself, and had, for a very brief time, simulated a baseball league with my brother (we ended up stopping because we kept making it way too detailed to the point where it took forever to simulate even one game). Reading those threads further inspired me to make my own league, and gave me a better idea of how to do it. However, every major sport has been done at this point to some extent, so I decided to make my own sport. I present: dashball.

Dashball is a sport I based heavily on a game I played in gym class called speedball. I would have kept that name, but after some research, there’s already a sport with that name with similar, but slightly different, rules. I decided I should name it something different, and the game I came up with was different enough from the version of speedball I played and the ones I found online, so I felt a different name was justified. Rules (and a basic court) are spoilered below:

Spoiler

To understand the game of dashball, the best place to start (at least to me) is the playing surface. This is a dashball court:

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPT2NEbU1wLUhtdGs

Each team has two different squads: six players on offense and six on defense. The defense must stay in the defensive zone, defined as the end zone and the smaller semicircle (marked in blue on the court); the offense may be anywhere except their own end zone. The offense is trying to score in one of three ways: kicking the ball (a handball) into the goal, which is a slightly different shape but has the same frontal dimensions as a standard soccer goal, shooting the ball through the basket, or catching a ball thrown or kicked into the end zone. The defense has one keeper trying to prevent the first, one center trying to prevent the second, and four zone backs trying to prevent the third. The offense, meanwhile, has a forward, two wings, and three backs, which have similar roles to their counterparts in other sports. (For the positions, I tried to find the position from (an)other sport(s) with the most similar roles; I couldn’t really find one for zone back.) Any score from within the defensive zone (blue) is worth 2 points; anything in the gold is worth 3; anything outside that is worth 5 points. The court (between the end zones) is the same size and shape as a basketball court; the outer shape is hockey boards, so for the most part, the game will be played at an arena that hosts both.

There are a few other rules that make dashball unique. Offensive players may not use their hands or arms to play the ball unless its last touch was off of something that was not the ground (so they can kick it in the air to someone else, use their feet to lift it up off the ground, but they can’t just pick it up if it’s on the ground). All defensive players can pick the ball up directly off the ground. Offensive players also may not move more than two steps while holding the ball. Secondly, if the ball goes out of bounds, the team that touched it last loses possession and the other team gets a throw-in (unless the ball goes out of bounds in the end zone, in which case the ball is awarded to the closest defensive player). This is important because it allows the other team to gain manual possession of the ball (aka they can use their hands).

The game is broken down into two halves, each of which contains two quarters, each of which contains two innings. Offense and defense switch between each inning; substitutions are very limited and highly discouraged; in fact, most players prefer to play the full 48 minutes. There will be a long break at halftime similar to many other sports. Overtimes will be the same as quarters, and will continue as long as necessary (it’s a high scoring game, so I don’t expect there to be too many games with a lot of overtimes).

The name of the league will be the National Dashball League, which isn’t very creative, but I was going for realism on this one. The league logo and division logos are shown below:

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPTGd0VUZma1N2VEk

There’s a lot of weird, abstract, fluffy meaning to this one, but you probably don’t care very much about that. If you do, here’s a spoiler.

Spoiler

Pentagon: one half of the abstract soccer ball/handball; split in two parts makes 2 sided and 3 sided shapes, scores are 2, 3, and 5

Hexagon: the other half of the abstract soccer ball/handball; 6 sides for 6 players on each squad

Yellow (Gold) and Blue: traditional handball colors

Gold (Yellow): high levels of competition

Text: rising, just like the league

Also, there are a total of 12 line segments, representing the twelve players on the court for each team. Yay.

For the division logos, I just superimposed a pentagon over a hexagon, but it looks pretty cool, doesn’t it?

The league logo will be recolored on each team’s uniforms.

I’ll be using raysox’s soccer template for the uniforms because they look the same. The uniforms will be made by SandStorm Sports, a fictional company, which is mostly because I wanted to have my own ideas without having them be constricted by a real life designer. Here are some all-star uniforms so you can see what they look like:

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPM3V5U3FPaTFnVEU

Initially, the league will be composed of eight teams, split into East and West Divisions. As there so often is with start up leagues, there will be a bit of drama concerning the first batch of teams to enter the league, so stay tuned for that. I will also, of course, be simulating seasons, keeping track of players, relocating/renaming/rebranding teams as necessary, expanding, etc. I will probably do expansion counsels because those are fun, but I sort of have a direction I want the league to go, so they might not start from the beginning.

The league will run a 40-game schedule in which each team plays 8 games against each team in its division and 4 games against each team in the other division (split equally home and away). The season will run from mid-March to late June, immediately followed by the postseason. The winner of each division will make the playoffs along with two wildcard teams, which will be seeded from 1 to 4 based solely on record.

Now here are the things that should make you excited about this thread. First, since it’s a fictional sport, it takes place in our timeline (technically, the point of divergence would probably be a few years ago, so that the sport and the manufacturer can gain enough footing to create a professional sports league, but who’s counting). There is no dashball league in this universe (at least as far as I know of), so there’s no need to replace anything. Second, the league’s first season will be in 2017. Yes, this league and its storyline will take place almost entirely in the future (assuming I can keep things moving faster than time itself), and if you’re smart enough to put two and two together and get five, you’ve figured out that that means I am attempting to predict real life future logo and uniform trends. In no way do I expect to be right about this, but I figured it would be a fun path to take, and I like to be unique. I won’t announce these either; you’ll just have to come along for the ride. It should be a fun one.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, concerns, critiques, or general excitement. The first team should be up ... soon.

willmoen    38

This looks really promising. The league and division logos look great so far. Can't wait to see where you take this.

CodeG    60

Dashball... the rules seems confusing on paper, but I'm sure it's really not that hard to learn. Also, at least on my screen I can't see any of the logos or anything. Other than that good luck, I can't wait to see the teams

42 minutes ago, CodeG said:

Dashball... the rules seems confusing on paper, but I'm sure it's really not that hard to learn. Also, at least on my screen I can't see any of the logos or anything. Other than that good luck, I can't wait to see the teams

What platform/browser are you using? I've tested just about everything I can think of, but I'll see if I can get that fixed. As for the game, it might help to think of it as a cross between soccer, basketball, and ultimate frisbee.

Just because most of the major sports have been done here doesn't mean you still can't do one of your own. You can start a sports league in another country, do an all female league or if you're willing a negro league. I personally am trying to start an American Football league in Japan about two decades earlier than the RW.

17 hours ago, nick_crenshaw82 said:

Just because most of the major sports have been done here doesn't mean you still can't do one of your own. You can start a sports league in another country, do an all female league or if you're willing a negro league. I personally am trying to start an American Football league in Japan about two decades earlier than the RW.

I suppose I could've done any of those things, this is just what interested me the most. Plus, I can't exactly turn back at this point, can I? :D Those are all really good ideas though; maybe once I finish this concept, I'll look at some of them. I wish you luck with your league.

Without further ado, let’s get on to C&C.

First up is Chicago. This idea was, by far, the first one I came up with, but took the longest to figure out. Long before I started this series, I knew I wanted to combine the star from the Chicago flag with the blue from the Chicago flag and make a snowflake logo. I couldn't not do it. It went through a lot of iterations before it got to what it is now, but I'm happy with how it turned out. I had originally called the team the Chill, because I liked the alliteration it almost gave, but the more I thought about it, the more it threw me off. I like Frost a lot better because it pays tribute not only to Chicago winters, but also Charles Sumner Frost, the lead architect of Navy Pier.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPbEtqbFlaV2NVTDA

It's a pretty simple logo, but I think it works. As I mentioned, the lighter blue, along with the star shape, is taken from the flag of Chicago, while the dark blue is taken from the city seal. I used the C and the star as partial logos.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPYnA1anBYTUtUWW8

I went with a gradient using the double blues for the primary with the darker blue on the shorts. I think it gives it the cold, wintry feel that I wanted it to have. I tried flipping it for the secondary, but I wasn’t a huge fan, so I went gray over blue instead, and I think it worked really well. I kept the numbers white because I really like how white on gray looks, and I felt like the Frost could pull that off. For the tertiary, it seemed only appropriate for a team called the Frost with a logo based on a snowflake to have a whiteout uniform, but I kept the gradient theme and added back a splash of light blue to keep things interesting. I guess you could call it a "Blizzard" uniform if you wanted. Lastly, I kind of wanted to make a black uniform, because black, but I was kinda hesitant. Once I realized I could call it a “Black Ice” uniform, I was sold. Since one typically finds black ice on the road, that’s exactly where the Frost will wear these (sorry if that’s too much NikeSpeak :P). No gradient on this one, but it’s similar to the tertiary. I filled the star in dark blue to add some color.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPS0ZyVU95MElPdzQ

Chicago’s court is kind of understated, but I think it works. The only really notable feature are the stained stars inside each 5-point line. I thought about doing the 4 stars along the apron like the Bulls do, but I thought that would be overdoing the star motif, so I didn’t.

Chicago was the first C, the second will be up next. What do you think?

NoE38    412

Nice start! I like all of the symbolism in the name and logo. Nothing much else to say, but that's because this is all really well executed. What would you say the average score in each game is?

49 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

Nice start! I like all of the symbolism in the name and logo. Nothing much else to say, but that's because this is all really well executed. What would you say the average score in each game is?

Thanks! I've already simulated the first season, and I don't want to give too much away, but the average score was just under 130 points per team per game during the regular season.

On 8/5/2017 at 9:39 PM, ItDoesntMatter said:

I apologize in advance for the incredibly long post ahead. If you are actually going to read through it, you’re probably in the minority. If you want to skip to the really exciting stuff for now, go to the last paragraph; there’s plenty of bold text, so you shouldn’t be able to miss it. Either way, I’ll see you at the finish line.

I have always liked the threads on these boards, such as the AFA and the PHL, that documented and simulated the history of a fictional sports league. Even before I joined the forums, I had thought of doing this myself, and had, for a very brief time, simulated a baseball league with my brother (we ended up stopping because we kept making it way too detailed to the point where it took forever to simulate even one game). Reading those threads further inspired me to make my own league, and gave me a better idea of how to do it. However, every major sport has been done at this point to some extent, so I decided to make my own sport. I present: dashball.

Dashball is a sport I based heavily on a game I played in gym class called speedball. I would have kept that name, but after some research, there’s already a sport with that name with similar, but slightly different, rules. I decided I should name it something different, and the game I came up with was different enough from the version of speedball I played and the ones I found online, so I felt a different name was justified. Rules (and a basic court) are spoilered below:

Hide contents

To understand the game of dashball, the best place to start (at least to me) is the playing surface. This is a dashball court:

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPT2NEbU1wLUhtdGs

Each team has two different squads: six players on offense and six on defense. The defense must stay in the defensive zone, defined as the end zone and the smaller semicircle (marked in blue on the court); the offense may be anywhere except their own end zone. The offense is trying to score in one of three ways: kicking the ball (a handball) into the goal, which is a slightly different shape but has the same frontal dimensions as a standard soccer goal, shooting the ball through the basket, or catching a ball thrown or kicked into the end zone. The defense has one keeper trying to prevent the first, one center trying to prevent the second, and four zone backs trying to prevent the third. The offense, meanwhile, has a forward, two wings, and three backs, which have similar roles to their counterparts in other sports. (For the positions, I tried to find the position from (an)other sport(s) with the most similar roles; I couldn’t really find one for zone back.) Any score from within the defensive zone (blue) is worth 2 points; anything in the gold is worth 3; anything outside that is worth 5 points. The court (between the end zones) is the same size and shape as a basketball court; the outer shape is hockey boards, so for the most part, the game will be played at an arena that hosts both.

There are a few other rules that make dashball unique. Offensive players may not use their hands or arms to play the ball unless its last touch was off of something that was not the ground (so they can kick it in the air to someone else, use their feet to lift it up off the ground, but they can’t just pick it up if it’s on the ground). All defensive players can pick the ball up directly off the ground. Offensive players also may not move more than two steps while holding the ball. Secondly, if the ball goes out of bounds, the team that touched it last loses possession and the other team gets a throw-in (unless the ball goes out of bounds in the end zone, in which case the ball is awarded to the closest defensive player). This is important because it allows the other team to gain manual possession of the ball (aka they can use their hands).

The game is broken down into two halves, each of which contains two quarters, each of which contains two innings. Offense and defense switch between each inning; substitutions are very limited and highly discouraged; in fact, most players prefer to play the full 48 minutes. There will be a long break at halftime similar to many other sports. Overtimes will be the same as quarters, and will continue as long as necessary (it’s a high scoring game, so I don’t expect there to be too many games with a lot of overtimes).

The name of the league will be the National Dashball League, which isn’t very creative, but I was going for realism on this one. The league logo and division logos are shown below:

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPTGd0VUZma1N2VEk

There’s a lot of weird, abstract, fluffy meaning to this one, but you probably don’t care very much about that. If you do, here’s a spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

Pentagon: one half of the abstract soccer ball/handball; split in two parts makes 2 sided and 3 sided shapes, scores are 2, 3, and 5

Hexagon: the other half of the abstract soccer ball/handball; 6 sides for 6 players on each squad

Yellow (Gold) and Blue: traditional handball colors

Gold (Yellow): high levels of competition

Text: rising, just like the league

Also, there are a total of 12 line segments, representing the twelve players on the court for each team. Yay.

For the division logos, I just superimposed a pentagon over a hexagon, but it looks pretty cool, doesn’t it?

The league logo will be recolored on each team’s uniforms.

I’ll be using raysox’s soccer template for the uniforms because they look the same. The uniforms will be made by SandStorm Sports, a fictional company, which is mostly because I wanted to have my own ideas without having them be constricted by a real life designer. Here are some all-star uniforms so you can see what they look like:

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPM3V5U3FPaTFnVEU

Initially, the league will be composed of eight teams, split into East and West Divisions. As there so often is with start up leagues, there will be a bit of drama concerning the first batch of teams to enter the league, so stay tuned for that. I will also, of course, be simulating seasons, keeping track of players, relocating/renaming/rebranding teams as necessary, expanding, etc. I will probably do expansion counsels because those are fun, but I sort of have a direction I want the league to go, so they might not start from the beginning.

The league will run a 40-game schedule in which each team plays 8 games against each team in its division and 4 games against each team in the other division (split equally home and away). The season will run from mid-March to late June, immediately followed by the postseason. The winner of each division will make the playoffs along with two wildcard teams, which will be seeded from 1 to 4 based solely on record.

Now here are the things that should make you excited about this thread. First, since it’s a fictional sport, it takes place in our timeline (technically, the point of divergence would probably be a few years ago, so that the sport and the manufacturer can gain enough footing to create a professional sports league, but who’s counting). There is no dashball league in this universe (at least as far as I know of), so there’s no need to replace anything. Second, the league’s first season will be in 2017. Yes, this league and its storyline will take place almost entirely in the future (assuming I can keep things moving faster than time itself), and if you’re smart enough to put two and two together and get five, you’ve figured out that that means I am attempting to predict real life future logo and uniform trends. In no way do I expect to be right about this, but I figured it would be a fun path to take, and I like to be unique. I won’t announce these either; you’ll just have to come along for the ride. It should be a fun one.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, concerns, critiques, or general excitement. The first team should be up ... soon.

Are there any youtube videos that what you describe in the rules for those of us who are visual learners?

Moser316    18

Sounds like a combination of Gaelic football and basketball, and you're off to a good start so far with Chicago's set.

15 hours ago, nick_crenshaw82 said:

Are there any youtube videos that what you describe in the rules for those of us who are visual learners?

Dashball as I presented here only exists on paper, but as I mentioned, I based it heavily on a physical education game called speedball. There are a lot of different variations on the game that I've seen, some of which look almost nothing like what I played or the sport of dashball. This video explains a very similar rule set to what I have used, and there's also some game footage so you can see what it looks like. The main differences are the lack of offensive and defensive squads, the lack of an end zone, the restrictions on where you can score from, and the points system. Also, in that video, he mentions that you are not allowed to kick the ball up to yourself, which is allowed in dashball.

Let me know if that helps, and definitely keep asking questions if you have them. The game can definitely be confusing if you've never seen or played it.

2 hours ago, Moser316 said:

Sounds like a combination of Gaelic football and basketball, and you're off to a good start so far with Chicago's set.

Thanks! I must admit, I don't know a whole lot about Gaelic football, but there are definitely some similarities.

JD1500    1
8 hours ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

Dashball as I presented here only exists on paper, but as I mentioned, I based it heavily on a physical education game called speedball. There are a lot of different variations on the game that I've seen, some of which look almost nothing like what I played or the sport of dashball. This video explains a very similar rule set to what I have used, and there's also some game footage so you can see what it looks like. The main differences are the lack of offensive and defensive squads, the lack of an end zone, the restrictions on where you can score from, and the points system. Also, in that video, he mentions that you are not allowed to kick the ball up to yourself, which is allowed in dashball.

Let me know if that helps, and definitely keep asking questions if you have them. The game can definitely be confusing if you've never seen or played it.

Thanks! I must admit, I don't know a whole lot about Gaelic football, but there are definitely some similarities.

This is a very well executed concept.  A few questions:

How did you decide on the timing of the season?  Does it have anything to do with the other major sports, so as to have its playoffs after the NBA is completed, but before the NFL season and the MLB stretch run?

With substitutions discouraged, does that impact roster size and/or necessitate a quicker expansion of the league if it catches on?

Do you foresee the material expansion of the schedule beyond 40 games?  Does it rank with basketball/hockey in that teams could optimally play 3-4 games a week?

Is Chicago in the west or the east?

13 hours ago, JD1500 said:

This is a very well executed concept.  A few questions:

How did you decide on the timing of the season?  Does it have anything to do with the other major sports, so as to have its playoffs after the NBA is completed, but before the NFL season and the MLB stretch run?

With substitutions discouraged, does that impact roster size and/or necessitate a quicker expansion of the league if it catches on?

Do you foresee the material expansion of the schedule beyond 40 games?  Does it rank with basketball/hockey in that teams could optimally play 3-4 games a week?

Is Chicago in the west or the east?

Thanks for the kind words, and for the questions. It's nice to see that people are interested.

You basically read my thought process exactly in regards to timing of the season. I wanted to make sure the beginning and end of the season weren't overshadowed by other major sports as much as possible, and that seemed like the best place to fit it in.

The roster size will be 20 players for now, as most players that don't find a place in the starting 12 won't see much playing time. Because each player has both an offensive and a defensive position, the starting lineups can be difficult to move around; I thought 8 reserves would give teams enough flexibility without having to pay too many players. I do think the league will see expansion relatively quickly.

I definitely plan to increase the number of games in a season as the league expands and interest in the league grows. 3-4 games a week definitely seems feasible down the line, but there is probably also room for the season to start earlier and/or run longer.

Chicago is in the East. I wanted to spread teams around as much as I could initially, which may have sacrificed some larger markets for the sake of geographic diversity, but the goal was to get as many people engaged with the sport as possible with the first round of teams.

I'd like to get some more C&C on the Frost before the next team, which should be up tomorrow.

Spanna65    145

Try making the snowflake's stroke thicker for Chicago.

Veras    432

I really like what you have started, and Chicago's identity is awesome. Working the flag star in as a snowflake is clever, as is the logic behind the black ice alternates.

The only change that I would suggest is dropping the second jersey. I don't think there is enough difference between it and the white one to justify having both, and I prefer the white.

well done, and I'm looking forward to seeing the league and the sport develop. 

MBurmy    428

I...simply...LOVE IT!

Only gripe I have (a VERY minor one)...that Chicago poem was written by Carl Sandburg, not Robert Frost (Frost wrote about his New England home area).

5 hours ago, Veras said:

I really like what you have started, and Chicago's identity is awesome. Working the flag star in as a snowflake is clever, as is the logic behind the black ice alternates.

The only change that I would suggest is dropping the second jersey. I don't think there is enough difference between it and the white one to justify having both, and I prefer the white.

well done, and I'm looking forward to seeing the league and the sport develop. 

Thanks for the kind words! Now that you mention it, that jersey probably won't see much use, and the team will probably drop it after a season or two because of that. Honestly, though, I like that one better than the primary, so you might see it again later on.

5 hours ago, MBurmy said:

I...simply...LOVE IT!

Only gripe I have (a VERY minor one)...that Chicago poem was written by Carl Sandburg, not Robert Frost (Frost wrote about his New England home area).

I could've sworn I saw that somewhere. Oh well. Anyway, thanks for the high praise!