ItDoesntMatter

National Dashball League: A Fictional Sport, A Fictional Future - 2017 Semifinals

Dan O'Mac    194

Okay, that purple stain sunburst is great.

On 9/11/2017 at 0:37 PM, Dan O'Mac said:

Okay, that purple stain sunburst is great.

Yeah, I've definitely warmed up to it. I put together a full version of it, and it's my favorite option so far. It still focuses primarily on yellow and feels big and bold while maintaining what I feel is a much better color balance than the other versions I've presented had. I've updated the original post, and you can also see it here.

I also played around with the color scheme a bit, namely replacing the green with a reddish-orange color (modeled here with the copper color from the Arizona flag). It definitely solves the Mardi Gras problem and looks a lot more Arizona to me. My main concern is that the copper seems a little dark, but I'm worried if I make it too much lighter, it'll make the orange clash/bleed with the yellow and/or make the team start to look a lot like the Suns. Then again, green/orange is very much third on the color hierarchy so I don't think I should be worrying this much about it :P. I'd love to hear what you all think.

Red Comet    35
29 minutes ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

Yeah, I've definitely warmed up to it. I put together a full version of it, and it's my favorite option so far. It still focuses primarily on yellow and feels big and bold while maintaining what I feel is a much better color balance than the other versions I've presented had. I've updated the original post, and you can also see it here.

I also played around with the color scheme a bit, namely replacing the green with a reddish-orange color (modeled here with the copper color from the Arizona flag). It definitely solves the Mardi Gras problem and looks a lot more Arizona to me. My main concern is that the copper seems a little dark, but I'm worried if I make it too much lighter, it'll make the orange clash/bleed with the yellow and/or make the team start to look a lot like the Suns. Then again, green/orange is very much third on the color hierarchy so I don't think I should be worrying this much about it :P. I'd love to hear what you all think.

Yeah, that looks more like a team from Arizona. Going with copper would make it even more like an Arizonan team IMO.

mnfarmkids    0

The copper looks nice, as does the purple stainburst

I'm gonna go ahead with the copper version of the Palms as the final. For those of you who are too lazy to click the link above (myself included), they're spoilered below:

Spoiler

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPM3hoejktNmJja1E

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPZnpHQTQ3dEl2b3M

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPWlJIaWhWdGNtN00

I also have some signatures to show off. I've only created generic league ones right now, but I can make team-specific ones if any of you would like one. In general, I'll be keeping all the signatures I create in this folder, but I'll typically post them here as well. Here are the first three:

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPOUh4cHBIT2NReDguc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPb04zOUtLcm04cGMuc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPbFNzdjkwb21JTFU

Opening these up in a new tab should take you to a URL you can link into your signature. If that doesn't work, let me know, preferably in a PM.

After all the drama leading up to the season, everyone was relieved to watch some dashball. (OK, maybe not everyone, the sport doesn’t have much of a following, but it certainly got some publicity, and as they say, all publicity is good publicity.) The first game took place on April 20, 2017, and featured the Sea Lions hosting the Sabertooths in what seemed destined to become a rivalry. It certainly lived up to the hype, with California mounting a comeback in the final minutes to win 141-139 on a last-second goal from W/ZB Justin Smith.

It was believed at the beginning of the season that those two teams were the frontrunners of the West, and those beliefs were confirmed very quickly. Led by Offensive Player of the Year B/C Thomas Notz and 21-year-old standout B/ZB Steve Gibson, California’s offense was nearly unstoppable at times. The Blueberries and Cream, as they came to be affectionately called, would go on to win their first 10 games before falling to Chicago 191-185 in the first ever overtime game in NDL history. After that, they slipped a little, losing home games to Seattle and Philadelphia, but recovered, finishing 33-7 and locking up the first seed and home-field advantage.

The Tooths, meanwhile, didn’t get off to the same hot start as their upstate counterparts, but over the course of the season, it didn’t take them long for them to find their stride. Their defense, led by ZBs Dwight McCann (W), Scott Hoffman (B), and Omaro Rubio (F), gelled into the best in the league by far, holding opponents to just 110.7 points per game, over 10 ppg better than second-place Philly. While they weren’t able to catch the Sea Lions, they finished at 29-11, which tied them for the second-best record in the league.

Phoenix overachieved, though they still finished the season with the worst offense in the league by far, and Seattle wound up in the cellar of the West with only 11 wins. However, neither of those teams were near the worst in the league. Toronto finished at an abysmal 3-37, only beating Philly, Phoenix, and Texas (their only road win). Rumors have already begun circulating that the team is likely to fold or be sold and move to New York instead of the league expanding, but so far there has been no word from the league. Regardless, they will get the top pick unless a New York team joins the league next year, which is still up in the air.

The rest of the East Division was much more entertaining. Chicago, Philadelphia, and Texas were expected to be in a dogfight from day 1, and they did not disappoint. Thanks in part to a blockbuster three-team deal which saw them pick up B/ZB Ed Maxwell from Philly and F/C Robby Wheeler from Phoenix, Chicago was able to gradually pull away from the other two teams and clinch the division, but the race between the Row and Redbacks would come down to the final game of the season. Fortunately for the Row, they had a game advantage over the ‘Backs. Unfortunately for the Row, they drew Chicago, who would still be playing to clinch the second seed over LA, while Texas would be playing the lowly Hogs. Predictably, Texas and Chicago both won, with the Redbacks taking the 4 seed on tiebreakers.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPU2ZRQ2tmX0FxZnM

Cool. Do u have a college round up and summary on the draft class for this year? That would be interesting, also have you recorded any statistics other than ppg. If so it would be quite interesting to see them? I know I'm asking a lot but I think it's great so far, thanks

ChicagoOakland    387

Welp, safe to say the Hogs got smoked this year.

Red Comet    35

This is quite the interesting game. I do have a question about the positions. What do the acronyms mean and what do those positions do?

Personally, I like the Redbacks until there's a team in the Plains simply from the uniforms.

Go Sabertooths!

On 9/19/2017 at 4:30 PM, TekkogsSteve said:

Cool. Do u have a college round up and summary on the draft class for this year? That would be interesting, also have you recorded any statistics other than ppg. If so it would be quite interesting to see them? I know I'm asking a lot but I think it's great so far, thanks

This year's draft was a bit of a crapshoot, as teams had to fill their entire rosters, and just about anyone who wanted to declare for the draft could. (I also just sort of assigned players to teams when I created them without any sort of a draft process.) That being said, I should have realized someone would ask for the draftees, so here they are (spoilered because I find it hard to be concise):

Spoiler

Chicago Frost: Michel Blanchard (F/C, 22, George Washington) - Upon moving to the United States from France at the age of 17, Blanchard became enamored with American sports, but was cut from every team for which he tried out at GWU, until he found dashball. With a lower talent pool, he immediately excelled. Thought to be one of the best players in the league (especially after winning MVP this year), Blanchard’s pure athleticism and grit should keep him a dominant force for years to come.

Philadelphia Row: LaVarius McCargo (B/K, 25, Denver) - McCargo played basketball and soccer at Denver, helping lead both teams to tournament play in his senior year. While he has not played organized sports since, he has picked up right where he left off, though people have questioned his play late in games after underperforming in a few 8th innings.

Texas Redbacks: Sean Perez (F/ZB, 23, TCU) - After captaining the Horned Frogs track and field team, Perez has emerged as a natural leader on the Redbacks roster, which was the youngest in the league this year. While he may not have been the best player on the team straight-up this year, it’s probably because he seems to make everyone around him better.

Toronto Hogs: John Gray (W/C, 21, Wichita State) - Many questioned the Hogs after taking Gray in the first round, and that has only continued after their abysmal inaugural campaign. Clearly, Toronto saw something in Gray that they didn’t want anyone else getting their hands on. Gray is the second-youngest of the first-round picks and did play very well this season, so hopefully he’ll grow into what the Hogs hope he’ll be.

California Sea Lions: Steve Gibson (B/ZB, 21, Monmouth) - After playing baseball in high school, Gibson found himself getting very little playing time off the bench in college. Rather than stick around, he decided to try out for the fledgling dashball team, where his speed and arm strength helped him excel on both sides of the ball, something he has continued so far at the pro level.

Los Angeles Sabertooths: Omaro Rubio (F/ZB, 28, Spain) - Another one of the most interesting picks in the draft, Rubio turned down an offer to play basketball in Italy after being drafted by the Tooths. As the oldest first pick by far, Rubio immediately sparked debate; while some derided LA for thinking too short-term, others argued that picking a player in his prime meant the Tooths were looking to compete immediately. So far, it seems both are right.

Phoenix Palms: Benny Green-Gilmour (W/ZB, 21, Robert Morris) - Robert Morris’s dashball team has become a competitor early on, somewhat by dumb luck; they seemed to already have players and coaches on staff perfect for the job. Green-Gilmour was perhaps the best of these; originally a safety, he decided he would rather play dashball than football his sophomore year, and he never looked back.

Seattle Sawyers: Tom Reyes-Moore (B/C, 26, MD-Eastern Shore) - Reyes-Moore also got his start in basketball, playing center for UMES, and spent two years in amateur leagues before calling it quits. He has translated his size and his skills to dashball very well, however, and despite missing two weeks with a concussion this season, still managed to lead the team in assists and finished third in points.

12 hours ago, Red Comet said:

This is quite the interesting game. I do have a question about the positions. What do the acronyms mean and what do those positions do?

Personally, I like the Redbacks until there's a team in the Plains simply from the uniforms.

I sort of explained the positions under the rules spoiler in the first post, but I probably didn't do a very good job, so I'll try again. Hopefully this helps:

Offense:

Forward (1) - Primary scorer for the offense. Expected to be involved in nearly all offensive plays. Not as responsible for defense. Similar to a striker in soccer.

Wings (2) - Secondary scorers for the offense. Expected to either score or assist on most plays. Somewhat responsible for defensive pressure. Similar to a wing in hockey.

Backs (3) - Split between attacking and defending. Expected to be active on offense, but also be prepared to get back on defense at any time. Similar to a defenseman in hockey or back in soccer.

Defense:

Center (1) - Primary defender of the rim. Also expected to help defend any players within 3-point arc if needed. Similar to a center in basketball.

Keeper (1) - Primary defender of the goal. May be expected to apply extra presence near the rim or in the end zone if needed. Similar to a keeper in soccer or in hockey.

Zone Backs (4) - Primary defenders of the end zone. May be placed near goal or rim in certain situations if needed. Similar to a cornerback/safety in football or an outfielder in baseball.

Texas Redbacks vs California Sea Lions
The Sea Lions came out strong in Game 1, putting the Redbacks on their heels right out of the gate. The game got out of hand quickly, with California going up 24 after just two innings and ultimately winning by 36. The Redbacks did cause a bit of a stir in Game 2, ultimately keeping it to a ten point game, but what little momentum they may have had was lost quickly. While they were able to keep it close again in Game 3, Texas just couldn’t seem to figure out the Lions’ offense, and they couldn’t keep up with the pace they had to run. By Game 4, it was clear the ‘Backs were out of juice while California refused to take their foot off the gas. The Redbacks were blown out of their own building, falling behind by 38 by the end of the fifth inning. Before long, both teams had pulled their top players, and the Sea Lions coasted to an easy 30-point win to become the first team to advance to the NDL Championship Series.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPYjZtWnNWQ2ZPaEk

Los Angeles Sabertooths vs Chicago Frost
This series was expected to be very close, and there was no consensus pick as to who would win. However, this didn’t stop many in the media from putting the series on “upset alert” after the visiting Sabertooths won by 22 to steal home-court advantage in a convincing fashion and then went up by 12 at halftime of Game 2. Chicago was determined not to lose both of their first two home games, and went on a 21-8 run to start the half, including 11 points from regular season MVP F/C Michel Blanchard. The game stayed close until the game’s final minutes, when the Frost pulled away to win by 8. Still, the Tooths looked to be in control of the series headed back to LA, and they added to that perception with a 15-point win in Game 3 to take back the lead in the series. Chicago looked to respond once more in Game 4, and once again, it was a close one, as the Flakes just managed to stave off a comeback thanks to a hot B/ZB Ed Maxwell and a clutch goal by little known W/ZB Rhys Mather with only 6 seconds left. Game 5 would be pivotal, and both teams’ defenses stole the show, as neither team was able to score 100 points. LA would pull away late, winning 98-87 to take a crucial 3-2 lead. The Tooths were confident with the Frost against the wall going back to Chicago for Game 6. The game was over almost as soon as it began; the Tooths were in control from the get-go, winning by 23 on the road to join their in-state rivals in the Finals.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPRVQwWWNVWC1rTDA

Yes my Sabertooths won!