ItDoesntMatter

National Dashball League: A Fictional Sport, A Fictional Future - 2019 Expansion Board

Sorry this has been so dead for so long; real life and technical difficulties got in the way, as they often do.

No uniforms or coaches changed this offseason, although Toronto’s Nicolas Stroke is squarely on the hot seat.

Roster Changes:

Free Agents -
PHX B/ZB Silvestro Sole to TEX - Having started and completed nearly every game for the Palms in 2017, Sole moves to Texas, where he looks to have the same role but on a younger, more competitive team.

CHI B/ZB Freddie Hayley to CAL - The Sea Lions might be stretching a bit for the 36-year-old, but he proved last year he could make an impact down the stretch for the Frost.

Trades - 
PHI receives F/ZB Alexander Burkhardt, B/ZB Hank Union, TEX 2018 4th round pick
TEX receives F/C Ben Bowman, F/ZB Walt Duncan, PHI 2018 1st round pick
In what looks like the most lopsided trade of the offseason, the Redbacks give up a 37-year-old Union and their (albeit very talented) backup forward in exchange for two 20-year-olds and moving up 3 rounds in the draft.

TOR receives B/C Román Ortiz
CAL receives B/C Jasper Jansen, B/C Roosevelt Hall, TOR 2019 2nd round pick
California trades the 21-year-old Ortiz to a Toronto team that struggled at center for two Hogs centers and a pick.

Draft - 
1. SEA (from TOR) - F/ZB Ray Terrell - Wisconsin-Milwaukee
2. TOR (from SEA) - B/ZB Anthony Bennett - Cincinnati
3. PHX - B/K Will Baker - Lipscomb
4. TEX (from PHI) - W/ZB Wil Perez - Loyola (IL)
5. SEA (from TEX via TOR) - B/C Andi Effendi - Indonesia
6. CHI - F/ZB Orville O’Connor - Central Connecticut
7. LA - F/ZB Vit Kraina - Czechia
8. CAL - B/C Howard Dixon - Long Beach State

As you can see, quite a few picks changed hands here. Seattle gave up two picks in addition to their second in order to trade up and take Ray Terrell, who is projected to be one of the best offensive talents in the league almost immediately. Toronto met more of their needs with Bennett anyway, who was the clear #2 behind Terrell. Offense continued to be a theme throughout the rest of the first round, with Baker, Perez, and Dixon all rated much higher offensively than defensively.

News - 

Two days after game 7 of the NDLCS, Commissioner Justin Ross announced that a deal had been reached for a team in New York City to start in the 2019 season. After the debacle that took place before the season, Ross expressed what to many seemed like a sense of relief that things were back on track. New York will join the East Division, with Chicago, Texas, and Phoenix moving from their respective divisions to create the Central Division. In terms of scheduling, not much will change: each team will still play 8 games against their division rivals and 4 games against every other team, which will still result in a 40-game regular season.

I definitely wasn't expecting a Loyola-Illinois reference in this series.

*crosses fingers for DePaul dashball prospect*

3 hours ago, TekkogsSteve said:

Pretty good. I hope the Hogs will be more competitive next year. Are New York gonna have an expansion draft or just hold tryouts for players not already in the league?

There will be an expansion draft for New York, taking place the day before the 2018 Entry Draft. Each team will be able to protect 12 players, and NY will pick two players from each team for a total of 16.

29 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

I definitely wasn't expecting a Loyola-Illinois reference in this series.

*crosses fingers for DePaul dashball prospect*

Hey, it's not as unlikely as you might think. Since dashball is a relatively new sport and schools haven't really been recruiting for it, smaller schools are much more represented in the dashball landscape than, say, college football, so it's hard to say where the best prospects will come from, and colleges and universities most people have never heard of are much more likely to get mentioned.

The second season got off to a poor start when the top 3 draft picks (Seattle’s F/ZB Ray Terrell, Toronto’s B/ZB Anthony Bennett, and Phoenix’s B/K Will Baker) all went down with season-ending injuries in the second week of the season. W/ZB Wil Perez, selected 4th overall by the Redbacks, also missed a good chunk of the year with a shoulder injuries, furthering perceptions that the draft was “cursed.” Texas still had excellent young talent left over from last year and Phoenix benefited from excellent years from many players, including second-round draft pick B/ZB Yash Savarn and third-rounder B/ZB Kris Brantley. However, the Hogs and Sawyers suffered greatly from the loss of those players, with each finishing 4-36 and combining to win a single game within their respective divisions.

The rest of the teams sorted themselves out into the elite and the mediocre. California looked unstoppable throughout the season, going 37-3 and never losing by more than 7 points or to a team with fewer than 30 wins. Their offense was even more prolific than last year, led by repeat Offensive Player of the Year B/C Thomas Notz and young trio W/ZB Justin Smith, B/ZB Steve Gibson, and W/K Josué Flores, and their roster was by far the deepest in the league. LA was also excellent again; W/ZB Dwight McCann had a breakout year, running away with the MVP race, and basically carrying the Tooths to second place in the West. However, the biggest surprise to many was Philly. The Row ran away with the East, partly because of a slew of injuries to both teams, but also because of excellent defense. Reigning Defensive Player of the Year B/ZB Maurice Caumont failed to recapture the award, but still put up excellent numbers, and B/K LaVarius McCargo and W/ZB Gregorio Gentile emerged on both sides of the ball. The Row would win 34 games and go 23-1 within the East Division, taking the second seed.

That left one playoff spot between three teams, and it would come down to the final game of the regular season. Chicago came into game 40 with a 17-22 record, with Phoenix and Texas each a game behind. The Redbacks needed a win and a Phoenix loss to win the tiebreaker with the Frost, while the Palms needed to beat the Sawyers and a Redbacks win against Chicago. Phoenix easily took care of business, but unfortunately for them, so did the Frost, who took the 4 seed and will travel to California for Game 1.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPNE9VTzF5OHVMbnM

Dang it, I used my "Toronto got smoked" line last season.

...umm...

...looks like that pork got...chopped.

(But seriously, Toronto blows.)

Just now, ChicagoOakland said:

Dang it, I used my "Toronto got smoked" line last season.

...umm...

...looks like that pork got...chopped.

(But seriously, Toronto blows.)

You didn't think of the that Pig Squealed?

Chicago Frost vs California Sea Lions
Once again, the Sea Lions would be facing a mediocre East Division opponent in the first round. Unlike the Redbacks last year, however, Chicago would not go down without a fight. The Frost defense showed early on that they could hang with California, and they would take a 58-54 lead into halftime of Game 1. California would take control of the game soon after, winning by a relatively pedestrian 13 points. The Lions would look to silence the haters in Game 2, and would do just that, leading from start to finish and taking a 38-point win as the series moved east.

Back on their home court for Game 3, the Frost offense would find their stride. They never trailed by more than 6, and ultimately won by 10. Unfortunately, that was about as good as it got. Chicago looked exhausted in Game 4, and the Sea Lions kept piling on points, ultimately winning by 54. Game 5 wasn’t much better, and for the third time in four games, California would never trail, coasting to a 142-119 win for their second straight trip to the Finals.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPdTNwTTMyZldxcms

Los Angeles Sabertooths vs Philadelphia Row
With a relatively boring semifinal on the other side of the bracket, this series was supposed to be the entertaining one, and Game 1 certainly lived up to the hype. Ultimately, the game would come down to the final seconds. F/ZB Omaro Rubio scored a clutch 3-point goal to put the Tooths up 5 with just 8 seconds left, and W/ZB Gregorio Gentile’s pass to F/ZB Zoilo Estrada was broken up, giving LA the win to steal home-court advantage in the series. The Row would look to answer in Game 2, and their defense would pick up the slack in a 33-point win. Philly carried that momentum with them to LA, and would also take Games 3 and 4 in comfortable fashion.

The Sabertooths had some experience with 3-1 leads, but they now found themselves down by that margin instead of ahead by it. Furthermore, they would have to win two games in Philly after already having dropped two at home. Game 5 would start out looking awful for the LA faithful, as the Row pulled ahead by 19 at the start of the sixth inning. However, W/ZB Dwight McCann put the offense on his back during that inning, almost singlehandedly cutting the lead to seven, and would pick up right where he left off during the eighth. As the final seconds ticked down, the Tooths were down by one. With time ticking down, McCann found W/K Cedric Tola as he crossed the goal line. NDL rules state that in order for a touchdown to count, “the ball must cross the plane of the goal line after the passer has released the ball and before the receiver has received the ball.” Tola himself didn’t think he had scored, and threw up a floater toward the basket that went well wide as time expired, but the play was ruled a touchdown and was upheld after review, giving the Sabertooths a 2-point win and keeping them alive in the series.

The controversy in this series was far from over, though. Game 6 also brought a Sabertooths comeback, and they would go up 7 with 2 minutes to go, only to see that lead wither away, and the game was tied with ten seconds to go. The Tooths moved down the court, and Rubio scored what looked like a game-winning goal, but officials ruled that it touched B/C Jimmy Taylor after time expired, which by rule, nullified the goal. Taylor was adamant, saying it never touched him, but once again, the replay review was not able to overturn the call, and the game would go to overtime for the first time in NDL playoff history. LA came into inning number nine looking deflated, and the Row would run away with the game, sealing the second spot in the NDLCS. The Row also became the third team in history to score 200 points in a game (Seattle scored 221 in a double-OT game this season, and California put up 206 in regulation less than a week later; interestingly, both of those games were in Toronto).

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPX3ZEX3A3LVlJWVE

In wuc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPVlhBUXZvZUxKUWchat came as a surprise to many, California would start the series looking very mortal. Philadelphia came out strong, and would take a 37-21 lead midway through the second inning before something finally clicked for the Sea Lions. They would spend the rest of the game chipping away at that lead, before they chipped their way to their own lead late and held on for an 8-point win. The Row had every reason to be confident going into Game 2, but it didn’t show. California looked dominant throughout the game, and refused to hold back, trying to build up their own momentum.

That didn’t seem to work either. Rejuvenated by their home crowd, Philly started playing some of the most inspired defense the Sea Lions had yet encountered. The Row held the Sea Lions to just 116 points, the second-fewest in franchise history, on their way to a win. They would continue to excel in Game 4, but California’s defense would step up even more. The two teams would combine for just 227 points, the second fewest in playoff history, and the Sea Lions would come away with their third win of the series, 118-109.

Game 5 would be a must-win for the Row at home, and it was an excruciating game to watch for the Philly crowd. While they were playing well, the Lions were just playing better. It seemed every time the Row had gotten back into the game and were picking up some momentum, B/C Thomas Notz or W/ZB Justin Smith would make a big play and lead California on a run to pull back ahead. The Row were never out of it, but they were never really in it either, and the Sea Lions were champions of the NDL for the second straight year.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPNUxVby1ZWDdLMFE

Edited by ItDoesntMatter
forgot image

I see a Sea Lions dynasty coming, also excited for the NYC team. 

Maybe it's just me being on mobile, but I can't see any of the pictures you are posting IDM.

8 minutes ago, Lee Noire said:

Maybe it's just me being on mobile, but I can't see any of the pictures you are posting IDM.

Had that problem on my phone too. Downloaded Brave and I was able to see them just fine.

42 minutes ago, Lee Noire said:

33 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Had that problem on my phone too. Downloaded Brave and I was able to see them just fine.

I've looked into this before; I think @CodeG had the same problem earlier in the thread. If y'all don't mind me asking, what platforms/browsers are you using? That might help me get a lead on it. For the record, I'm linking the images directly from Google Drive. In the meantime, all the images should be accessible here; you'll just have to do a little searching.

On 10/25/2017 at 11:06 PM, ItDoesntMatter said:

I've looked into this before; I think @CodeG had the same problem earlier in the thread. If y'all don't mind me asking, what platforms/browsers are you using? That might help me get a lead on it. For the record, I'm linking the images directly from Google Drive. In the meantime, all the images should be accessible here; you'll just have to do a little searching.

I'm just using safari, on my PC I can see most of the photos, but on my iPad I can't see anything.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:06 PM, ItDoesntMatter said:

I'm just using Safari on my iPhone. Thanks for the link though. I'll just go through there.

Edit: Big fan of the Chicago Frost. Love how the C fits inside the snowflake.

Wow, it's been a while. I haven't forgotten about this, I've just been busy and a bit under the weather. I haven't forgotten about those of you with technical difficulties either, but I haven't found any solutions.

Anyway, without further ado, here are the New York Chargers (finally):

It seems like every NYC team today has a pretty generic identity, which is fine; they’ve all been around for a while, and New York is a really big, really diverse city. However, I wanted to focus in more and create a team with a little more personality. I decided to focus on the iconic Charging Bull sculpture located in Lower Manhattan, and went with the name Chargers because “New York Bulls” would cause too much confusion.

uc?id=1SmIJcoqvtJezRyy0eFKvqA_GYVY7LL6Y

I created a minimalist bull logo based heavily on the sculpture as well as the obligatory NY monogram. I ended up marking the NY as the primary, though both logos will get similar exposure. I used bronze as the primary color to represent the statue, green to represent money and the stock market, and an off-white that I thought looked good with the set. I also threw a little red in there for some color, but since it has pretty negative connotations, there’s not a whole lot of it.

uc?id=17CQsDcwbAa521nfjSF4EzRSMvB4joNe5

On 10/25/2017 at 3:32 PM, Darknes said:

Let's see what New York has up it's sleeve now!

I’m not sure @Darknes intended that to be so literal, but I put bull horn-esque stripes on the shoulders of the main uniforms, which also feature asymmetrical stripes on the shorts. It may be hard to tell, but the numbers on those two are outlined in red, which also appears in the middle of the shorts striping. I decided to go a little crazy on the tertiary, which is inspired by stock market graphs and features metallic bronze on the jersey. It’s a little bit Redbackish, but I think it’s pretty distinct.

uc?id=1tzmJp-teLaqly-X5c-HGDE5-IX21KS8p

I also went a little crazy on the court, bronzing the whole playing surface. It’s not quite Smurf Turf, and it’s not the craziest wood floor I’ve seen either, but it’s different (also if anyone can come up with a catchy nickname for it, feel free, because I’ve tried and failed). I tried diagonal wordmarks in the end zones too, which might be completely unpopular, but I wanted this team to try things.

Let me know what you think; I’m definitely open to criticism here.