ItDoesntMatter

National Dashball League: A Fictional Sport, A Fictional Future - 2023 Semifinals

If there's a Minnesota team, don't you have to go with "Twin Cities" especially if the arena is (likely) situated in one of the cities?  I think that would fit the mold perfectly.  Imagine reading "Twin Cities at Texas, 8PM"?   Wow, that looks good...

Looking forward to team four's unveiling.

3 hours ago, JD1500 said:

If there's a Minnesota team, don't you have to go with "Twin Cities" especially if the arena is (likely) situated in one of the cities?  I think that would fit the mold perfectly.  Imagine reading "Twin Cities at Texas, 8PM"?   Wow, that looks good...

Yeah, that would work well too.

13 hours ago, mnfarmkids said:

For Detroit, Motor City (name). For Minnesota, North Star (name) or Gopher State (name) would work.

8 hours ago, JD1500 said:

Thank you all for your suggestions, and they're excellent, but that's a bridge I'll cross when I get to it.

I've been busier than expected the past day or so and it looks like I might be occupied for another day or two, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get the next team up, but it shouldn't be too much longer. Thanks for your patience.

Gonna bump this to see if I can get some more comments on Texas. I'm in the final sprint for team #4; I'm hoping I can get it up tomorrow night or so.

Nothing? Oh well, moving on:

Philadelphia’s NDL team has one of the strangest names in the league, and possibly all of professional sports. Let me explain: I named the team the Row. This was done to reference Philly’s rich tradition in rowing on the Schuylkill River, as well as the rowhouses commonly found in older neighborhoods. It also references the famous Boathouse Row, which is super meta if you think about it. The name might be a little strange, but I like it.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPVEktRG9BNFlZNEk

The rowing aspect was clearly the stronger element of the two, so I ran with it, but I did use a brick red as the secondary color to tie both themes together. I thought the league needed at least one roundel, so it went to Philly. What I really like about this roundel is that the oars are also the I’s in PHILADELPHIA. I made a seahorse logo for the secondary inspired by the Schuylkill Navy with a nod to keystones and modern hatchet oars. For the tertiary, I took a P and added an oar through it to make an R.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPY19FWmt0amRVSk0

Philly’s uniforms are pretty simple, although I added an oar-like stripe on the two-tone shorts, making it look like the oar is dipping into the water. The secondary reads “PHILA,” like the Sixers, because 1) I kinda like that and 2) there was no way I was trying to fit “PHILADELPHIA” on there, especially contrasted with the word “ROW.” I adorned the front of the tertiary with a giant seahorse, since I wanted one uniform that really embraced that logo. Finally, the quaternary puts more focus on the other half of the identity, with a greater focus on red, a brick patterned shorts stripe, as well as a script on the front and the P/R logo on the shorts.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPTXpGd2JXR0JPU28

Not a whole lot going on with the court, although I did manage to fit the full name of the city into one end zone. I flanked the other end zone with seahorses because it looked really empty with just three letters.

I welcome your C&C.

This is a really interesting looking League, my favorite look of the bunch has been Texas. The Row seem like they're begging for something on those first two jerseys..maybe the tail of the Seahorse?

This league has an interesting aesthetic. I feel like the P-oar logo is your strongest one for the row. I'll be watching this thread. 

I really like the concept and the background for the Row.  I'm kind of partial to the cursive wordmark/uniform over the block lettering though.  Do teams typically wear white at home in dashball?  The reason I ask is that "PHILA" is featured on what I assume to be the home uniform; I'd like to see what the cursive row looks like against the crisp white uni.  Overall the color combination is solid for me evokes memories of the old school Phillies in the days of Mike Schmidt.

The Row are extremely unique, and I like that about them. The jerseys are a little bland, but they do have the unique pants to balance them out so I guess it works. Love the seahorse logo and you did a great job on the roundel as well. Overall good job, can't wait to see what you have for the next four teams.

On 8/19/2017 at 10:55 PM, Darknes said:

This is a really interesting looking League, my favorite look of the bunch has been Texas. The Row seem like they're begging for something on those first two jerseys..maybe the tail of the Seahorse?

I tried the tail as well as the oar, but I couldn't get it to not look tacky. I'll keep trying things, but it might end up being a few seasons down the road.

On 8/20/2017 at 1:06 AM, JCRGraphix said:

This league has an interesting aesthetic. I feel like the P-oar logo is your strongest one for the row. I'll be watching this thread. 

Thanks! I honestly thought that one was the weakest of the set, but that might just be because it's the simplest.

On 8/20/2017 at 9:46 AM, JD1500 said:

I really like the concept and the background for the Row.  I'm kind of partial to the cursive wordmark/uniform over the block lettering though.  Do teams typically wear white at home in dashball?  The reason I ask is that "PHILA" is featured on what I assume to be the home uniform; I'd like to see what the cursive row looks like against the crisp white uni.  Overall the color combination is solid for me evokes memories of the old school Phillies in the days of Mike Schmidt.

I'm not gonna lie, I like the cursive script better too, but I felt like the plain block worked better with the rest of the identity, specifically in the primary logo. They'll probably end up moving away from the block and towards the script down the line, though we'll have to see. I mocked up a script-focused, white-at-home version of the uniforms, but I'll probably end up sticking with what I have, at least for now:

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPa0pHQ0hfVWZMbHc

As for uniforms, there is no specific rule as to what teams wear where; each team can wear whatever uniform they want provided there is a significant enough difference between the two teams. For example, Chicago will typically wear their white uniform at home, but it's their tertiary, so the double blue and gray/blue uniforms will likely take precedent, while Texas will probably wear their "whites" at almost every opportunity (that uniform is a real pain for visiting teams, as they effectively have to wear jerseys that will clash with both all-white and all-red). I see the Row as more of a color-at-home team, but there's nothing saying they can't wear white at home if they want.

On 8/20/2017 at 2:04 PM, ~Bear said:

The Row are extremely unique, and I like that about them. The jerseys are a little bland, but they do have the unique pants to balance them out so I guess it works. Love the seahorse logo and you did a great job on the roundel as well. Overall good job, can't wait to see what you have for the next four teams.

Thanks! The shorts are probably my favorite part of the team's identity, although I feel like they kind of keyholed me in because I wanted the blue to be dominant but I stuck myself with three pairs of red shorts. I still feel like I got the balance I wanted though, so I guess it all worked out well in the end :D.

Wow, those edits look pretty sweet from where I stand.  Thanks for the mock-up. 

I guess I'm slightly late to this but Im new here and I really like the concept just a couple questions about the actual game of dashball. 

What happens when the defence has the ball if they can't move it up the field?

Also, are there any traditional numbers for the position like how in football/soccer the keeper traditionally has number 1.

The kits also look fantastic and I love the way that everything is inspired by the city's history. My only criticism/suggestion is if the redbacks home uni had the sleeves, shorts and socks were just one color instead of a split down the middle i thought it might look better

4 hours ago, TekkogsSteve said:

I guess I'm slightly late to this but Im new here and I really like the concept just a couple questions about the actual game of dashball. 

What happens when the defence has the ball if they can't move it up the field?

Also, are there any traditional numbers for the position like how in football/soccer the keeper traditionally has number 1.

The kits also look fantastic and I love the way that everything is inspired by the city's history. My only criticism/suggestion is if the redbacks home uni had the sleeves, shorts and socks were just one color instead of a split down the middle i thought it might look better

Thanks for the support! You're not really that late; we haven't even gotten to the first season yet, so stay tuned.

Defensive players will usually just throw it to an offensive player to move the ball upcourt, although there's nothing saying they couldn't try to score if they wanted to; for example, if it's the end of an inning and a keeper finds himself in possession of the ball, he might just throw or kick the ball upcourt, and if it goes in the basket or the goal, it's worth 5 points.

There are no "traditional" numbers for positions, due partly to the fact that each player has two positions and partly to the fact that the sport itself doesn't have much tradition to speak of. Admittedly, that's not really something I thought of, though, so you might see that start to happen as things move along.

As for the Redbacks, changing the sleeves would eliminate the Texan flag motif, but adding clashing shorts/socks is definitely something I thought of, but I figured if I was gonna do it, I should go all the way. If they ever end up toning it back, navy shorts and socks will probably be how they do it, but I honestly don't see that happening anytime soon.

EDIT: the identity has been updated a few posts below.

I’ve never been to Seattle, but although I hate their football team with a passion, it seems like a pretty cool place. That being said, I wasn’t sure where to go with the name. Turns out, forestry was and is pretty big, and Sawyers sounds cool and alliterative, so there you have it.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPX0ozUHZYVjlGTUU

I had had the circular saw idea in my head pretty early on, and originally wanted to do a roundel kind of thing, but I wasn’t sure how to make it interesting enough and different enough from Philly. I eventually moved in a simpler direction, and what you see here is pretty minimalistic. The saw has 52 points (geometric points, not sharp points; 52 sharp points was way too many) because the first sawmill in Seattle was founded in 1852. I also made a secondary pine tree logo inspired by the saw. I turned to a more traditional saw for the wordmark, and I really like how that came out.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPMHRsRUQxSmtJMVk

I took the saw and turned it into a chest stripe. That happened on all three uniforms, but the uniforms are all otherwise different colors. The stripe is still silver on the silver uniform, because it’s a saw, and I couldn’t decide which color to outline it with, so I did both. The stripes on the shorts mimic the one on the chest, and always silver socks because silver is cool.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPTTU0YXYySGxNZWs

The saw goes around the apron, too. I thought that would be pretty cool, and I still think that.

I feel like I’ve been reading too much Jon Bois lately. How does everything look?

Love the concept, love the primary, really love the saw stripe on the jersey.  The primary jersey might be my favorite that you've done so far.

The secondary isn't doing it for me, though.  While I did immediately realize that it was both a tree and a saw (I saw the saw?), it looks too much like one of those cheap air fresheners that you put on your rear view mirror.

The only other critique that I might offer regards the colors.  I think I'd rather see something kind of bright green (kelly green, maybe?) replace the teal.  The teal is okay, but it just seems a little too blue to me.

On 8/22/2017 at 9:28 PM, Veras said:

Love the concept, love the primary, really love the saw stripe on the jersey.  The primary jersey might be my favorite that you've done so far.

The secondary isn't doing it for me, though.  While I did immediately realize that it was both a tree and a saw (I saw the saw?), it looks too much like one of those cheap air fresheners that you put on your rear view mirror.

The only other critique that I might offer regards the colors.  I think I'd rather see something kind of bright green (kelly green, maybe?) replace the teal.  The teal is okay, but it just seems a little too blue to me.

On 8/22/2017 at 10:55 PM, nick_crenshaw82 said:

I think the teal should be replaced with a darker green like forest.

I should've mentioned before, the teal was taken from the city flag. I definitely thought of using green, especially when I first made up the tree; after all, Seattle is known as the Emerald City. I made up a version of the Sawyers using the green from the state flag (did I mention I'm into vexillology?). I think it loses something in application, but man, does it look sexy on the logo sheet:

EDIT: this is now the official identity of the Sawyers for 2017.

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPdlQwSk9RRjNVMDQ

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPYUxEUGd4TUtUcE0

uc?id=18jNo6j52Cdm-Wzo5xN_ggosTPJvSbtb1

35 minutes ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

I should've mentioned before, the teal was taken from the city flag. I definitely thought of using green, especially when I first made up the tree; after all, Seattle is known as the Emerald City. I made up a version of the Sawyers using the green from the state flag (did I mention I'm into vexillology?). I think it loses something in application, but man, does it look sexy on the logo sheet:

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPdlQwSk9RRjNVMDQ

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPb3FnNmdYS3BfNWs

uc?id=0B1ivrLt29XOPZ09PWk5uT1hoVWs

What's the source of the maroon (I hope it's maroon) because you might be able to replace that with the teal.

Seattle unis would look pretty dope irl. As far as the Color scheme goes, I'd replace the maroon with a darker green or a darker teal (depending on whether you go with teal or green respectively for the secondary jersey