ItDoesntMatter

National Dashball League: A Fictional Sport, A Fictional Future - Miami Palms Rebrand (2024)

18 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

You could say that Colorado was weeded out of the league. But seriously 4 wins is pitiful and I’m not surprised at all. 

I’d also say you could go back to a two conference league. 6 in the east, 5 in the west. Phoenix/Miami goes to east along with Nashville and the last two remaining teams in the central go to the west

Also,I have to ask, what are the odds cincy gets an expansion vote?

I seriously underestimated y'all's ability to make weed puns 😂

Anyway, the format for this season is already locked in (I've already simulated and everything). I'll definitely take a look at going back to two divisions come 2025, but it'll probably just be three divisions of four again. @JG36 was definitely right in saying yours would work better if the twelfth team was in the west, but it's looking pretty likely that that team will be in Atlanta.

As for Cincy, they're on the list, but it's a pretty sizable list and there are quite a few markets that the league wants to get into before southwest Ohio. You'll probably get to at least vote on them, but it might be a few expansions down the line.

17 hours ago, TargetToad said:

Did the Palm's uniform change when they moved from Phoenix to Miami?

Also, when Atlanta is added, you have a pretty solid 4 division format

Eastern: Toronto, New York, Philadelphia

Southern: Miami, Orlando, Atlanta

Central: Chicago, Nashville, Texas

Western: Los Angeles, Seattle, California

I sort of addressed the Palms' uniforms, but vaguely (these are intended to be snippets of news articles, and it wouldn't make sense for them to know everything that I know), so I'll confirm: yes, the Palms will be rebranding. You'll get to see their new look in a few days.

I also really like those divisions you've laid out; the league is a little wary of going back to three-team divisions after 2021, when the .500 Hogs won the East Division and made the playoffs ahead of Chicago and LA, who both had winning records. That said, they've also been thinking of expanding the playoffs to 8 teams, so that may be less of a problem.

On 1/27/2019 at 2:33 PM, ItsSlothy said:

Press F to pay respects for a meme that hardly anyone’s ever heard of.

What? Press F is a really common meme.

I’ve only heard it twice.

Yee 

The Palms' move to Miami was a controversial one, but it did allow them to keep their name. That said, their color scheme of purparoon, copporange, and athletic yellow wasn't really gonna work in South Florida. Here's what they came up with for the move east:

uc?id=1ismprdT9gtBvVrlT0mPCXmzVLofSOOEa

Local teams had been dancing around the "Vice" color scheme for years, with Inter and the Marlins going with similar colors and the Heat using them as an alternate. The Palms really wanted to embrace Miami culture, so they went full black, pink, and blue, with lots of influences from the city's history with neon and Art Deco. As a result, most everything is black with outlines in pink and blue. The general shape of the palm tree is similar to the Phoenix edition, but is smoother in order to be more easily rendered in neon. The secondary logos are based on vertical neon signs, and the hexagonal shape seemed to work well for that, so they used another hexagon (regular this time) to encapsulate the tree in the primary logo.

uc?id=1aoAzRAWuFGmIQx9McbV9Cur4wFPKdqMH

The uniforms are also very black-heavy, with the double striping adorning the collar of the jerseys as well as the shorts and socks, making Miami the first team to incorporate striping into their collar. Apart from that, the primary uniform only includes color when absolutely necessary. The secondary is obviously more bright, and uses a split down the middle in order to keep the balance between blue and pink. They also included a white uniform as a tertiary, which is basically the primary with no black.

uc?id=1vGYRgd43Cmi1e_XH0pkLxZR99NuseT_H

Yeah, they did that. With no basketball or other hardwood teams playing in Sunrise, they had a blank slate, and they painted it all black. There have been some concerns voiced about the Palms wearing all-black uniforms on an all-black court, but if Boise State can do it, why can't the Palms?

Just a side note: the court looks smaller because it is. I noticed that I had gotten the relative dimensions between the court and the boards wrong; there's supposed to be a lot more space in between. I've gone back and fixed all the old courts, so everything should be in line now.

Yeah, I don’t expect this rebrand to be that differ-

2 hours ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

The Palms' move to Miami was a controversial one, but it did allow them to keep their name. That said, their color scheme of purparoon, copporange, and athletic yellow wasn't really gonna work in South Florida. Here's what they came up with for the move east:

SO F:censored:KING BRIGHT!!!! MY EYES ARE BURNING!!!!!!

Personally I think the strokes need to be a little thicker to be legible in a way..the pink and the teal kinda get lost in the black/white?

Also curious why you used the Panthers arena and not the Heat Arena?

15 hours ago, Darknes said:

Personally I think the strokes need to be a little thicker to be legible in a way..the pink and the teal kinda get lost in the black/white?

Also curious why you used the Panthers arena and not the Heat Arena?

I worked on thickening up the primary logo, and I think it looks much better and is more in line with the rest of the identity (I didn't change anything else). I've updated the images above.

I put them in the BB&T Center because according to what I've seen on the internet, American Airlines Arena isn't really built well for hockey, and since dashball uses the same configuration as hockey, they're up in Sunrise.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:42 PM, ItDoesntMatter said:

Local teams had been dancing around the "Vice" color scheme for years, with Inter and the Marlins going with similar colors and the Heat using them as an alternate. The Palms really wanted to embrace Miami culture, so they went full black, pink, and blue, with lots of influences from the city's history with neon and Art Deco. As a result, most everything is black with outlines in pink and blue. The general shape of the palm tree is similar to the Phoenix edition, but is smoother in order to be more easily rendered in neon. The secondary logos are based on vertical neon signs, and the hexagonal shape seemed to work well for that, so they used another hexagon (regular this time) to encapsulate the tree in the primary logo.

The uniforms are also very black-heavy, with the double striping adorning the collar of the jerseys as well as the shorts and socks, making Miami the first team to incorporate striping into their collar. Apart from that, the primary uniform only includes color when absolutely necessary. The secondary is obviously more bright, and uses a split down the middle in order to keep the balance between blue and pink. They also included a white uniform as a tertiary, which is basically the primary with no black.

Yeah, they did that. With no basketball or other hardwood teams playing in Sunrise, they had a blank slate, and they painted it all black. There have been some concerns voiced about the Palms wearing all-black uniforms on an all-black court, but if Boise State can do it, why can't the Palms?

Just a side note: the court looks smaller because it is. I noticed that I had gotten the relative dimensions between the court and the boards wrong; there's supposed to be a lot more space in between. I've gone back and fixed all the old courts, so everything should be in line now.

First time commenting here, but i now have a favorite team now here. It so amazing and epic. Has the 80's Miami Vice style look to it and i love it. I want those jerseys too. Seriously, good job.

On 1/31/2019 at 10:42 AM, ItDoesntMatter said:

The Miami Palms' identity is a definite winner and one of the best I have seen in the whole forums. The Vice identity suits the team and the local culture as well. They will be mobile neon lights!

First off, thanks for all your comments on Miami. I'm really happy with the way this turned out, and I'm glad y'all are too.

Second, I wanted to post the signatures folder again in case anybody wants to use one (or request one), and also say that I'm not gonna keep around old versions of the league ones, because I don't know why I was doing that before. I'll be able to update the images automatically because Google Drive is very good at its job.

I haven't been on these forums in over a year, but I can say with confidence that this is one the best threads I have seen in my time here! When I saw Chicago for the first time, I thought that they would be my favorite team. Then, I saw the next team that you unveiled, and then when I saw Cali I thought the same thing. However, Miami may just have my heart! I absolutely love the vaporwave/neon aesthetic of the team. The black court is a risky move, but I think that it pays off. The only thing that I would potentially fix are these things:

1. Are you able to remove the background for the BB&T Center logo on the court? I think that the red distracts me when looking at the whole court.

2. The fronts of the jerseys are a bit bland imo. You could possibly look into putting the primary into the top right of each to give them a more "soccer jersey" feel. For the secondary jersey, I think that you should play with the idea of integrating the secondary logo into the front. Possibly something like the Bucks did with their city edition jerseys this year. 

Overall, great job with this whole series! I can't wait to see what else is in store!!

The 2024 regular season saw the codominance of a pair of teams, one which was becoming quite familiar to NDL viewers. The return of B/K Ares Preciado and a record-breaking offensive performance from B/K Semarias Garcia - to the tune of 35.3 points per game - led the Redbacks to a 50-2 record. Meanwhile, the Seattle Sawyers, always-dominant B/ZB James Terry, and their slew of Pinnacles castoffs finished at 49-3. To put those records in perspective a little better, remember that those teams played each other four times, meaning they combined for one loss against everyone else in the league. Ultimately, a 2-point loss at California would be the difference for Seattle, and a late injury to W/ZB Pacífico Ugalde will leave the Sawyers weakened come July.

The Sea Lions, to their credit, finished 34-18, good enough for the four seed. That’s pretty impressive, given that they had to play the Sawyers 10 times, but they also had to play the Sabertooths just as often. Just one year after the Pinnacles finished the NDL’s first ever winless season, the Tooths nearly one-upped them, with a 12-point road win in Toronto the only thing standing between them and 0-52. Making matters worse, LA won’t even get to pick first, with an Atlanta expansion team all but confirmed for next year.

The Palms’ first season in Miami wasn’t as disappointing as the Tooths’, but it didn’t do much to inspire confidence. Playing in the same division as the Redbacks never helps, but B/C Steve Locke had to battle a hip injury for much of the season and wasn’t super effective. Miami also had to go up against two other playoff teams in their division. The Orlando Orbits claimed the sixth seed for the second year in a row, thanks in large part to solid performances by W/ZB Zebedeo Perilla and B/C Andi Effendi. This year, though, they were one-upped by their expansion cousins in Nashville, who recaptured the magic from their inaugural year. New addition F/C Michel Blanchard had one of his best seasons yet, and along with B/C Sora Matsuѕhita, the team had the 2-point ring locked down for much of the season.

Meanwhile, if anyone’s wondering about the defending champs, so are most Philadelphians. The Row finished at a more-than-respectable 35-17 and won the East Division handily, locking up the third seed with a too-close-for-comfort win over New York in their final game. Home fans, though, are concerned they may simply be a product of a weak division, as none of the other East teams finished with more than 21 wins. With a sub-.500 record outside of the division and a disappointing 0-10 record on the road against playoff teams, Philly may be in trouble come playoff time.

uc?id=1fa-Z_Tr37o6SDwT_8PneR_2HW_izVAHh

If there is an expansion draft for Atlanta, LA should be immune and Seattle & Texas should have to leave extra players open. That way the 2025 standings can be a little more balanced.

1 hour ago, Skinny39 said:

I haven't been on these forums in over a year, but I can say with confidence that this is one the best threads I have seen in my time here! When I saw Chicago for the first time, I thought that they would be my favorite team. Then, I saw the next team that you unveiled, and then when I saw Cali I thought the same thing. However, Miami may just have my heart! I absolutely love the vaporwave/neon aesthetic of the team. The black court is a risky move, but I think that it pays off. The only thing that I would potentially fix are these things:

1. Are you able to remove the background for the BB&T Center logo on the court? I think that the red distracts me when looking at the whole court.

2. The fronts of the jerseys are a bit bland imo. You could possibly look into putting the primary into the top right of each to give them a more "soccer jersey" feel. For the secondary jersey, I think that you should play with the idea of integrating the secondary logo into the front. Possibly something like the Bucks did with their city edition jerseys this year. 

Overall, great job with this whole series! I can't wait to see what else is in store!!

Thanks! Keeping the BB&T Center logo red was a conscious decision. I figured the people at BB&T would probably want to keep things more visible. It's sort of like NBA jersey ads in that way. As for the jerseys, I did sorta want to make them simple and plain to emphasize the unique colors and design elements it does have, and also keep the color balance at like 90% black (or white in the case of the third jersey). You did give me an idea for a tweak I might play around with though, so keep an eye out and you might see it down the line.

1 hour ago, TargetToad said:

If there is an expansion draft for Atlanta, LA should be immune and Seattle & Texas should have to leave extra players open. That way the 2025 standings can be a little more balanced.

There will be an expansion draft, but the rules haven't been decided yet. Atlanta will also have 14 players who were formerly under contract with the Pinnacles, so it'll probably just be a couple of players anyway.

Off topic but I just realized an easy way for the 2025 Dashball League to stay at 3 sensible divisions, taking a page out of the 1992 Arena League Season

Northern: Philly, NY, Chicago, & Toronto

Southern: Orlando, Miami, Nashville, & Atlanta

Western: Cali, Texas, Seattle, & LA