Cleveland Cavaliers New Uniforms

BJ Sands

My main two gripes with Cleveland are the navy numbers and "Cavs" on the home. Well, not home, but association or icon, or whatever. Then again, I kind of like the navy numbers. But I also don't much care for them. Though on the other hand... 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the digital mockups do the Cavaliers uniform justice. I was somewhat indecisive about it until I saw this these pictures:

20622226_10155675010933278_1666004266399

20622320_10155675010708278_6619080939514

I really love how it looks with the real life materials. The yellow does seem to have a "pop" to it.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

The good:

I like the approach to color. I don’t think they nailed the execution, but using the blue as a tonal complement to wine is unique and interesting. I do wish the white uniform had a little more blue.

The bad:

I think the sharp design evokes a low-level college template rather than an upper/tier professional team. It doesn’t look all that bad, but it feels trendy at best.

The lettering, as we’ve discussed as nauseum, is not composed well and to me, sorely lacks the personality of downtown Cleveland. The blue trim is not needed on the Cleveland lettering. It adds almost no contrast. The numbers needed heavier trim if blue on wine was going to be a primary colorway.

Overall, it is a more exciting, interesting set. The previous one was conservative to the point of being bland, so while there weren’t many flaws you could point to, there really wasn’t much of anything else to point to, either. It’s six or a half-dozen between old and new for me. It just depends on your taste.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I love the new Cavs unis as a fan, I think the template and digital representations made it look like hot garbage at first. I love the wordmark's bezel and will definitely be getting a pair of the shorts. If only the wine jerseys numbers were yellow..

cotw_sig_by_bucksfan5-d7bwj72.png

SugarBowl_zps07e2b2c9.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I just wish Lebron had a "right" jersey.  It could have been the his original Cavs one, which really didn't need much updating at all to still be a perfectly good design.  It then could have been the now former set, but that was ruined by all the alts and because the pinnacle of his time there was reached while wearing a black t shirt.

I hate to say it, but with all the shuffling around in Cleveland, his Miami uniform seems "right" to me, because at least it was consistent.  

This is a really great point. I can't think of another iconic NBA player that has so much inconsistency in their visual identity as LeBron. 

14 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

This is a really great point. I can't think of another iconic NBA player that has so much inconsistency in their visual identity as LeBron. 

Wilt Chamberlain comes to mind, but yeah, LeBron is far and away the guy with the most diversity in uniform apparel. Especially considering he spent so much time with one team.

Can you imagine if the Bulls had spent as much time monetizing Jordan's jersey? It's pretty amazing they only had the one alternate in all those years.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Wilt Chamberlain comes to mind, but yeah, LeBron is far and away the guy with the most diversity in uniform apparel. Especially considering he spent so much time with one team.

Can you imagine if the Bulls had spent as much time monetizing Jordan's jersey? It's pretty amazing they only had the one alternate in all those years.

I think it also speaks volumes about a franchise having confidence in their identity. The Bulls pretty much nailed their look on the very first try, and had no real need to change it up. Other teams, such as the Celtics and Lakers, have likewise made very few changes, even when superstars hailed new "eras" for the team. The fact the Cavs keep changing up their look and keep bringing out retro uniforms, classic uniforms, etc, seems to say to me they just don't have much confidence in their brand identity, and maybe never will.

Yeah, clearly. Their 2017 look is clearly good for 5 years. Maybe 7. And then on to the next thing.

The Cavs are nothing if not dynamic (perhaps for the wrong reasons).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I had really low expectations on the Cavs considering the train wreck  their updated logos are, but the uniforms are pretty damn nice. Of course Cavs is a huge mistake on the home uniform, as is the Cle waist band, but they managed to keep the look minimal while significantly modernizing it. The navy numbers are pretty mistifying considering how good the yellow with blue outline script looks. I preferred the previous word marks, but at least now they actually integrate navy as a third color instead of it randomly appearing on the alt they wear 70% of the time. The perfect Cavs look would be this color balance on the 2003-10 navy uniform template

07Giants.pngnyy.png

The sad thing with the Cavaliers' incredibly unstable uniform history is that they got it nearly perfectly right on the first try.

c971957474cbcbdade96f750125ca67b.jpg

The set that followed was solid, as was the 2003-10 set that was at least loosely based off the first two eras. But for my money, they've never worn anything close to these in calibre.

(It's funny that the last set drew inspiration from this one, too, it just decided to be super boring about it.)

6fQjS3M.png

15 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

The sad thing with the Cavaliers' incredibly unstable uniform history is that they got it nearly perfectly right on the first try.

c971957474cbcbdade96f750125ca67b.jpg

The set that followed was solid, as was the 2003-10 set that was at least loosely based off the first two eras. But for my money, they've never worn anything close to these in calibre.

(It's funny that the last set drew inspiration from this one, too, it just decided to be super boring about it.)

The white and (ugh) WINE uniforms from the last set were my favorite Cavaliers uniforms they've ever worn. I thought they were really classy and pretty recognizable as theirs in the world of basketball even if they were boring. These new ones do absolutely nothing for me. The spikes and random color inserts placed arbitrarily along with the hyper angled block font just looks like it was pulled from a pile of college basketball templates Nike had lying around. And is that beveling? Yeah they beveled the letters. It's the Bucks green and red uniforms from a few years ago except worse. The old ones were clean, these ones are cluttered and way too dark. I hate hate hate when a dark number is outlined with yellow or white or gold and placed on a dark background and these commit that offense.

I think the NBA is getting too close to college basketball/football territory where the teams change unis so often and wear so many alternates that team brands are being weakened as a result. The Cavs are an example. This is their third major uniform they've worn in less than ten years and that's in addition to all the stupid alternates and one-offs that they wear far too often. Does the inclusion of navy blue on the road uniform mean they are moving away from using black in random applications? That will probably appear on an alternate right? What the hell is this team's color combination?

It's damn near tragic that they wore black short sleeve hockey jerseys for their lone championship. The league should've never allowed that uniform to begin with, let alone worn in the biggest game of the season.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived