Cleveland Cavaliers New Uniforms

BJ Sands

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Again, given the design timelines, there is no way designers knew Goodyear was going to be the Cavs’ advertiser when this was designed.

Plus, why would they cover it up with the sword story if it was supposed to be a tire tread? There are corporate logos on the uniforms, so it can’t be because they thought it would be shameful to base a uniform design element on an advertiser’s product. Is there another motive?

They said the pattern is suppose to represent motion or something. It has nothing to do with Goodyear thankfully.

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it me or does the Cavs management really like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers? Everything they've ever used seems inspired by the Buccaneers. The Cavs logo with the sword and the flag reminds me of the Bucs and the Cavs font on the Jerseys reminds me of the Bucs font that is on the side of the Bucs jersey.

I hadn't noticed this yet... Cavs numerals have holes positioned in a way that echos the beveled wordmark. Sorry if this was already pointed out.

(I know all teams have the vent-holes in the numbers, but i haven't seen any that are laid out in a pattern of any kind.)

20170929_174754.thumb.png.8370bc6e50f11fd5e9e42d6eb054f253.png20170929_174730.thumb.png.0169bd1419c4908aa3ba9149131d113a.png

(Posting from mobile. Can't tell if the photos are junk quality, sorry.)

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

On 24.09.2017 at 11:05 PM, Old School Fool said:

They said the pattern is suppose to represent motion or something. It has nothing to do with Goodyear thankfully.

Goodyear makes tires, tires are mounted on car wheels, cars mostly of times are in motion, so everything is correct. ;)

4r2eer.png

The new Cavs uniforms are really growing on me. I really like how the whites look tonight. Nike paid attention to detail and really designed around the new template, as opposed to trying to force a design onto it (*couch* Rockets *cough*)

Lots of "players on the wrong team* potential with this Cavs team.

On 9/29/2017 at 5:59 PM, LEWJ said:

I hadn't noticed this yet... Cavs numerals have holes positioned in a way that echos the beveled wordmark. Sorry if this was already pointed out.

(I know all teams have the vent-holes in the numbers, but i haven't seen any that are laid out in a pattern of any kind.)

20170929_174754.thumb.png.8370bc6e50f11fd5e9e42d6eb054f253.png20170929_174730.thumb.png.0169bd1419c4908aa3ba9149131d113a.png

Now that’s a cool way to do a bevel. I still don’t like the typeface (or at least I think it could be better), but the look as a whole is growing on me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 9/24/2017 at 3:54 PM, andrewharrington said:

Again, given the design timelines, there is no way designers knew Goodyear was going to be the Cavs’ advertiser when this was designed.

Plus, why would they cover it up with the sword story if it was supposed to be a tire tread? There are corporate logos on the uniforms, so it can’t be because they thought it would be shameful to base a uniform design element on an advertiser’s product. Is there another motive?

My first thought was a nod to the 80s/90s   net-V in "CAVS"

On 9/16/2017 at 1:50 PM, truepg said:

This has the same problem as the Clippers' Statement jersey - the logo and the number don't look good stacked, or, the number should've been smaller.

The more I look at it, the more I am apalled at how it got through - it should've been declared unfunctional at first sight. No visual hierarchy whatsoever between those two.

It's all because the nike and sponsor logos leave no room for a small upper corner front jersey number like the sleeved championship version or old Nuggets jersey or late 90s Hawks and Rockets..  So now we're left with this stacked mess.

It's a shame, this would look nice if it were the the old giant C with the sleeves removed.  Like it or not black is an important part of their tradition since they won a title wearing it.

What if the C were even bigger and the number were inside the C? Or the number moved to the shorts or removed entirely? There's got to be a better way.

10 minutes ago, Teal said:

Do we have any indication what colour the 4th jersey will be?

Take this with a grain of salt, but:

On 9/20/2017 at 11:41 AM, upperV03 said:

I've heard rumors from a few different people about the fourth uniform being gray with "The Land" on it. Since it's the community-inspired uniform, it wouldn't surprise me at all if those rumors ended up being true.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 9/29/2017 at 5:59 PM, LEWJ said:

So THAT'S why I couldn't remember if there was bevels on the numbers or not. There are, but it's just not that noticeable.

ExJworW.png

9 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

So THAT'S why I couldn't remember if there was bevels on the numbers or not. There are, but it's just not that noticeable.

Truth be told, they should have treated the wordmarks like the numbers. The two colors they chose for the bevel aren’t good tonal complements.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 5.10.2017 at 6:05 AM, chakfu said:

It's all because the nike and sponsor logos leave no room for a small upper corner front jersey number like the sleeved championship version or old Nuggets jersey or late 90s Hawks and Rockets..  So now we're left with this stacked mess.

It's a shame, this would look nice if it were the the old giant C with the sleeves removed.  Like it or not black is an important part of their tradition since they won a title wearing it.

What if the C were even bigger and the number were inside the C? Or the number moved to the shorts or removed entirely? There's got to be a better way.

Just making the number smaller instead of being the same size as the logo would make all the difference.

Archived