Pink Uniforms

wildfan2440

Bringing this back from the dead because . . . 

Manchester United has released a pink away kit for 2018-19.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11484191/manchester-united-unveil-pink-away-shirt-for-201819-season

skysports-manchester-united_4403516.jpg?

Ironically (or is it coincidentally), I'm currently wearing a polo shirt that is a only slightly darker shade of pink (about like this).

211442_PINK-image.jpg?resizeid=4&resizeh

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Worth pointing out that the British don’t have the silly “pink = girls = cooties!” hangup that Americans do.  Apparently that particular strain of toxic masculinity can’t cross the water. 

The first pink shirt that I recall owning was purchased in London in 1986 (when I was 18) . . . while one of the other guys on the trip with me swore that he would never be caught dead in a pink shirt.*

* -- His future wife bought him a pink shirt about three years later, which he has never been allowed to live down.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Worth pointing out that the British don’t have the silly “pink = girls = cooties!” hangup that Americans do.  Apparently that particular strain of toxic masculinity can’t cross the water. 

Having a girl that loves purple and pink will make you get over that stuff pretty quick. When I ordered our new soccer jerseys I wanted to get the pink jerseys fir our keeprs but they weren't available in XL.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 8/28/2018 at 9:00 AM, Gothamite said:

A little off topic but in the arena.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence/summer-series-guys-and-dolls-gender-marketing-1.4068879

2 quotes from this article (and I suggest downloading the accompanying podcast) that I find really interesting. 

In the early 1900s, a major department store declared that pink was for boys and blue was for girls. Pink was considered the stronger colour – therefore more fitting for a boy. Blue was considered delicate, more feminine.

This gender colour coding stayed in place for more than twenty years, until after the Second World War, when department stores and manufacturers flip-flopped the colours – stating that pink was now a feminine colour and blue masculine.

........ back to jerseys now. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived