My first vinyl project

walkerws

So my wife decided that she wanted to start a home business doing vinyl cutting. Things like shirts, cups, car windows, and even glass. I've not done glass yet but we've done everything else at least once. We still have slot of learning to learn. Here's some stuff we've already done.

What do you think?

2017-08-09_07-20-56

2017-08-09_07-19-11

Mommin ain't easy cup

Looks pretty good. Are you using ThermoFlex or Siser or Chemica for apparel? I've found that ThermoFlex is more durable than the other two. Oracal 651 is a good, economy sign vinyl for short term projects. Use the 751 or 951 series for anything outdoors or where you need long-term applications. What size and model plotter do you have?

4 hours ago, logoman said:

Looks pretty good. Are you using ThermoFlex or Siser or Chemica for apparel? I've found that ThermoFlex is more durable than the other two. Oracal 651 is a good, economy sign vinyl for short term projects. Use the 751 or 951 series for anything outdoors or where you need long-term applications. What size and model plotter do you have?

I use a Cameo 3. I can go up to 15". We've only gotten a handful of orders so far. 

Also own a Cameo 3. Such an underrated tool. There are so many useful applications for vinyl. Just using it for stencils is a world in and of itself. You can use it to paint things, etch glasses, etch mirrors. Not to mention heat transfer, paper cutting, and more. It's seriously the best $200 you can spend if you're crafty.

An $11 case of beer glasses, some glass etch material, and some elbow grease covered my Christmas gifts to friends last year:
w5ktoE7lThluTpOirQSklI9v4xVb35EPC1JuSq1u

Gorgeous. We're doing some pallet signs for her family. We use Oracal vinyl for that. Heat transfer is pain, because I don't have a press. If I did I'd get one with the mug and hat pieces. Not sure how hats would turn out though. 

All of that looks great!  I've never used a Cameo but I do have a Cricut, which is a great tool that I have mixed feelings about at the moment because of the software.  I've only ever used the Cricut vinyl and iron on stuff so I'm curious how the others compare in quality and price.

IUe6Hvh.png

Sisser heat transfer cost wise is better because it's twice as much. 36" vs 18" for cricket. It adhered better too. There's the Sisser stretchy kind for your poly cotton blends, that's a lot more pricey.  $5 A foot.  

I would like to offer a suggestion, if you are going to sell HTV garments, you really need to invest in a heat press. Otherwise, the quality you are going to be providing is worthless. None of the Heat Transfer Vinyls are meant to be applied with any instrument other than a professional heat press. Geo Knight, Stahl's and several other companies offer quality versions at a modest price. It is worth the few hundred dollars investment to ensure the positive feedback from your clients. Proceed with caution if you are going to cut corners.

Archived